Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
  • Simon_NZ has no influence.
Quote from: psyche;682418
intectually? I'm not intectually equipped?

Reply #4825 Posted: March 26, 2008, 03:30:25 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
  • psyche has no influence.
fucking lol. Attempt to save face = fail

Reply #4826 Posted: March 26, 2008, 03:31:53 pm
The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms, this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness. -Einstein

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: psyche;682422
fucking lol. Attempt to save face = fail

No.

You have generated a pattern through your posts. And Simon has just clarified it.

If there is something in a post that you "can't be bothered" with or just don't know how to answer, you will change the subject or just plain ignore it.

This time you quoted his whole post just to pick out a spelling mistake.

You fail.

Reply #4827 Posted: March 26, 2008, 03:50:35 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Quote from: INmOTION;682419

What do you do for a living and what are your qualifications ? Just out of curiosity.

I think I already said a while back in this thread - graphic designer by occupation. I'm just another person trying to figure out the world like everyone else is. I think it's important, as human beings, to ask yourself "Where did we come from?", "Why does anything even exist at all?", "Is there a purpose to everything, or is everything completely random?"
-  and it's questions like that, as intelligent beings with the gift to discover the universe, that compel us to seek answers.

I may not have qualifications in scientific research under my belt, but the many scientists and various other people I have been quoting and linking to, DO have experience and credibility in a wide range of scientific research, moreso than anyone in this thread including myself.

And my opinions, do have research behind them, whether you want to believe that or not I couldn't care less.

I just think some of you need to start looking at the other side of the coin, instead of having the totally atheistic point of view that "science will explain everything", because quite simply it won't and from what I have seen more and more modern scientists are beginning to realise that.

by the way, I'm not 'making up theories' as you so succinctly put it.

Reply #4828 Posted: March 26, 2008, 03:57:57 pm
The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms, this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness. -Einstein

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Quote from: INmOTION;682426
No.

You have generated a pattern through your posts. And Simon has just clarified it.

If there is something in a post that you "can't be bothered" with or just don't know how to answer, you will change the subject or just plain ignore it.

This time you quoted his whole post just to pick out a spelling mistake.

You fail.

Let's argue for the sake of arguing. It's so interesting.

Reply #4829 Posted: March 26, 2008, 03:59:57 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: psyche;682379
Sir Isaac Netwon put it best:

"This thing [a scale model of our solar system] is but a puny imitation of a much grander system whose laws you know, and I am not able to convince you that this mere toy is without a designer and maker; yet you, as an atheist, profess to believe that the great original from which the design is taken has come into being without either designer or maker! Now tell me by what sort of reasoning do you reach such an incongruous conclusion?"

Newton also famously said "I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me", knowing that he didn't have all the answers. No-one does.

There is a clear and distinct difference between believng you are correct and respecting others' opinions. Turning around and saying someones post is "shit" or referring to people as ignorant morons is nothing more than an attack designed to infuriate them - which is an action detrimental to the fair rules of discussion. Thats all I'm trying to point out. Had you gone about this differently, by backing up your points and conceding when/where necessary, this discussion would be thriving right now.

Quote from: psyche;682379
HB btw

Thanks mate :D

Reply #4830 Posted: March 26, 2008, 04:05:47 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
I didn't think Graphic Designers were allowed to be "rational, logical thinking" people.

Reply #4831 Posted: March 26, 2008, 04:26:13 pm

Offline Raped_ByA_Spoon

• Addicted
  • Raped_ByA_Spoon has no influence.
Quote from: psyche;682401
Ah yes, the Multiverse. The multiverse that just happened to come from something, from something, from something, from... nothing.

People who insist there must be a beginning.  If you apply the same logic to your faith it fails as well, God just happened to come from som....see where I am going with this.

Personally I think we, that is humans, are no where near the level of understanding to understand how the universe we live in was created.  The opinoin of everything be a singular part for a .00000000000xlots of a second and then exploding to create all the laws of physics and matter which we currently have is nice, but its a theory.

Reply #4832 Posted: March 26, 2008, 04:41:12 pm
Mi aerodeslizador está lleno de anguilas

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: psyche;682401
People like me? You mean unbiased, rational, logical thinking people? I see..

I now have fish and chips stuck in my nose. Thanks idiot.

Reply #4833 Posted: March 26, 2008, 04:49:54 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Quote from: Arnifix;682453

Squirt some sauce on some bread, eat it, then read some other of his posts.

Chip sandwhich.

Reply #4834 Posted: March 26, 2008, 04:53:17 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: INmOTION;682457
Squirt some sauce on some bread, eat it, then read some other of his posts.

Chip sandwhich.

That worked well. Too well... :sly:

Reply #4835 Posted: March 26, 2008, 04:56:57 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline nzjeebs

• Addicted
  • nzjeebs has no influence.
I think people overuse and dont fully understand the word atheist. I doubt there are many atheists who have posted in this thread, because most seem to accept the fact that they just don't know for sure.

It is rather ignorant to say that there is absolutely no chance of any form of god or creator and its also ignorant to say that your beliefs are 100% correct, because they're not, no one's beliefs are absolutely correct, they cant possibly be.

So i say form your beliefs depending on your own personal experiences, and form  a set of beliefs which wont stop you from doing anything you wish to do.

Reply #4836 Posted: March 26, 2008, 05:02:02 pm
aka Jeebs

Offline krasher

• Addicted
  • krasher has no influence.
Quote from: INmOTION;682439
I didn't think Graphic Designers were allowed to be "rational, logical thinking" people.

I thought u were a designer?

Reply #4837 Posted: March 26, 2008, 05:03:57 pm
=]IRBS[=

i5 2500k|GTX560ti|GA-Z68X-UD3|8Gig DDR3 1600|24" LG 19x12|650W Corsair|64GB SSD Cache WD640

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Quote from: Arnifix;682453

If you are sticking fish and chips up your nose, the only idiot is you i'm afraid.

You know... not once have I seen you contribute any valid arguments or anything decent to this thread. You seem to have some kind of major problem with my point of view (and coincidentally, the point of view of probably the majority of people around the world), yet you seem to lack the ability to coherently explain exactly what your problem with my point of view is. Instead you just sit on the sidelines tossing in useless remarks that serve no purpose to anything whatsoever other than to create hostility.

What a loser, waste of space.

Quote from: INmOTION;682439

What made you think that? :sly:

Well put Jeebs.

Reply #4838 Posted: March 26, 2008, 05:07:55 pm

Offline Arnifix

Quote from: krasher;682478
I thought u were a designer?

Somebody post a captain obvious picture. I'm too busy getting sauce out of my nose.

Reply #4839 Posted: March 26, 2008, 05:08:19 pm

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: NZJeebs;682474
I think people overuse and dont fully understand the word atheist. I doubt there are many atheists who have posted in this thread, because most seem to accept the fact that they just don't know for sure.

It is rather ignorant to say that there is absolutely no chance of any form of god or creator and its also ignorant to say that your beliefs are 100% correct, because they're not, no one's beliefs are absolutely correct, they cant possibly be.

So i say form your beliefs depending on your own personal experiences, and form  a set of beliefs which wont stop you from doing anything you wish to do.

do you know what the word atheist means?

If you truly did your second paragraph wouldnt make sense. None of us claim 100% there is no good we just claim in our perception of the universe there is no evidence or need for one. True atheists are the least ignorant among humans because they look at all the evidence while other choose to ignore it or cast it off as "god did it" such as the simpleton known as psyche.

Thats exactly what we are doing and we are merely discussing them in this thread. But a certain individual has taken it upon himself to change all our opinions to suit his :disappoin

btw welcome to the debate ;)

Reply #4840 Posted: March 26, 2008, 05:48:21 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Quote from: psyche;682490

What made you think that? :sly:

That's the difference in being a good Graphic Designer, and an amazing Graphic Designer.

Amazing Graphic Designers are irrational, illogical and rebellious.

A talented designer is not a logical or a rational person. Hence my comment.

Reply #4841 Posted: March 26, 2008, 06:09:35 pm

Offline nzjeebs

• Addicted
  • nzjeebs has no influence.
Quote from: KiLL3r;682561
do you know what the word atheist means?

If you truly did your second paragraph wouldnt make sense. None of us claim 100% there is no good we just claim in our perception of the universe there is no evidence or need for one. True atheists are the least ignorant among humans because they look at all the evidence while other choose to ignore it or cast it off as "god did it" such as the simpleton known as psyche.

Thats exactly what we are doing and we are merely discussing them in this thread. But a certain individual has taken it upon himself to change all our opinions to suit his :disappoin

btw welcome to the debate ;)

Im just going by the Dictionary definition:
Atheist
someone who denies the existence of god
Maybe my dictionary is a bit off.

I would just as soon accept the giant pubic hair in the sky as my god than any other religion's version. But I'll allow room in my beliefs for some sort of designer or creator.

Im not all that great at debating or even very knowledgeable in this area, so don't be expecting any Ngati type essays :P

Just as an aside, how many of you have read the bible or any other religious texts?

Reply #4842 Posted: March 26, 2008, 06:14:11 pm
aka Jeebs

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: NZJeebs;682601
Im just going by the Dictionary definition:

Maybe my dictionary is a bit off.

Yes it i. the correct definition would be

Quote from: Atheist
someone who denies the existence of gods

Quite annoying when you tell someone your an atheist and they ask you why you dont believe in god. "I dont believe in gods, plural!"

Reply #4843 Posted: March 26, 2008, 06:30:38 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
True atheists are the least ignorant among humans because they look at all the evidence while other choose to ignore it or cast it off as "god did it" such as the simpleton known as psyche.

You gotta be kidding me. Non-atheists look at the evidence too, and many people, based on the evidence, have concluded that there is no possible, logical way that the universe and all it's unimaginably complex laws and systems could have come from nothing without being created by a supremely intelligible being or force.

There is a reason why humans have become able to understand and learn about so much the universe and how it works, and that is because the universe was created in a way that would specifically be able to be understood by our minds.

By calling me a simpleton, you are indirectly referring to some of the greatest scientific, theological and philosophical minds in our history as simpletons aswell, so GG on that one genius.

As an atheist, you need to explain your belief of exactly how everything could come from nothing without the need of an intelligent being to put it into motion and make sure all the laws of gravity, nature ect. work perfectly and harmoniously  - how humans, a complex, consciously-aware, thinking, problem-solving form of life could come to evolve from nothing.

I would like to hear your beliefs and how they fit into your understanding of the universe. I asked you this earlier in the thread and you conveniently chose to ignore it.

Wait, what are you discussing? I haven't really seen you discussing anything. Nothing coherent anyway.

Quote from: INmOTION;682597

Amazing Graphic Designers are irrational, illogical and rebellious.

Uuuh yeah, in the field of design. Doesn't mean you have to apply that same rationale to life outside of work :/

Just as an aside, how many of you have read the bible or any other religious texts?

I haven't, but I am going to start reading the Bible very soon, I am very interested in it and fascinated to learn about the history.

I bet kill3r hasn't, but he sees fit to critisize it anyway, because he's a gigantic noobie.

Reply #4844 Posted: March 26, 2008, 06:32:38 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in

I haven't, but I am going to start reading the Bible very soon, I am very interested in it and fascinated to learn about the history.

I bet kill3r hasn't, but he sees fit to critisize it anyway, because he's a gigantic noobie.

Reply #4845 Posted: March 26, 2008, 06:34:34 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

By calling people noobs, psyche, as you have done throughout this thread, you imply that you are above them in terms of what is being discussed.

You think to highly of yourself, and what you apparently know. You have been shutdown to many times for me to count in this thread by many different people yet you still run around on your crusade of ignorance and idiocy.

Just stop. You look like a fool and a blow hard. Just stop.

Reply #4846 Posted: March 26, 2008, 06:44:41 pm

Offline psyche

• Just settled in
Quote from: INmOTION;682625
crap

Welcome to ignore list. If you ever have anything decent or intelligent to contribute, let me know. I won't hold my breath.

Reply #4847 Posted: March 26, 2008, 06:49:23 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Quote from: psyche;682628
What

Assholeseswhat ?

Reply #4848 Posted: March 26, 2008, 06:50:44 pm

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: psyche;682614
You gotta be kidding me. Non-atheists look at the evidence too, and many people, based on the evidence, have concluded that there is no possible, logical way that the universe and all it's unimaginably complex laws and systems could have come from nothing without being created by a supremely intelligible being or force.

There is a reason why humans have become able to understand and learn about so much the universe and how it works, and that is because the universe was created in a way that would specifically be able to be understood by our minds.

I never said "non-atheists" dont look at the evidence. if you could read properly you would find i stated that they dismiss the evidence as god doing rather than investigating it further. such as you have said through this entire thread with statements like.

"I look around at everything and i know that it was created by a superior being"

and thats basically the end of your argument everytime. God made it so no need to look any further.

Just the same as your moronic comment above that everything was created so we can understand it.

We have barely scratched the surface of how everything works. Yes we know gravity keeps us earthbound but how does gravity work? What is gravity made of? What created gravity? Where did it come from?

Please enlighten me oh knowledgeable one since the inner workings of the universe are such childs play.

By calling me a simpleton, you are indirectly referring to some of the greatest scientific, theological and philosophical minds in our history as simpletons as well, so GG on that one genius.

Your a simpleton because you produce no evidence for your claims yet slag everyone else off when they do show evidence. And comparing yourself to some of the greatest minds in history is the most blatant arrogance you have displayed to date.

As an atheist, you need to explain your belief of exactly how everything could come from nothing without the need of an intelligent being to put it into motion and make sure all the laws of gravity, nature ect. work perfectly and harmoniously  - how humans, a complex, consciously-aware, thinking, problem-solving form of life could come to evolve from nothing.

I would like to hear your beliefs and how they fit into your understanding of the universe. I asked you this earlier in the thread and you conveniently chose to ignore it.

As an atheist i dont have to explain how the universe wasnt created by a superior being because i dont believe in a superior being! Theres hardly a need to prove something which hasnt been proven to begin with.

Yep at catholic schools we dont bother to read the bible gg simpleton

Reply #4849 Posted: March 26, 2008, 06:51:09 pm