Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
To ride on Cobra's coattails, I'd still like to know if serial rapists who ask for forgiveness get into heaven, despite continuing to rape.

Reply #5775 Posted: August 26, 2008, 02:49:28 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Turkish

• I Posted!
  • Turkish has no influence.
Yeah.... I'm kinda busy working today, so I can't respond to your every single reply at your personal whim, I was planning on responding later tonight when I have some free time.

Quote from: dirtyape;783223
You work on proving god exists, and we'll work on proving multiple-universes exist. I'll give you a race - GO!

meh, no thanks. I don't want to get too hooked into this debate, these kind of arguments tend to get messy. I neither could nor have any desire to convince you that the universe was quite possibly created for some purpose. That's something only you can come to on your own terms, all the evidence and information is out there if you choose not to  dismiss it due to your own predispositions.

Quote from: dirtyape;783411
And the most interesting part is that I do not believe in a multiverse. And neither do physicists. We believe that there is a series of mathematical masturbations that explain how such a multiverse could work (ref: M-Theory), but this is hardly proven to be real. Potentially real, mathematics is after all the language of the universe. So it has some credit.

Have you asked yourself why you are so determined to prove the multiverse theory? Judging by your posts it sounds like you have some particular agenda or motivation to try and prove such a theory, despite the theory being outside any kind of real scientific enquiry which you completely rely upon.

I have no problem with the multiverse theory really, if that happened to be the process of how this universe was created, then so be it. You still can't tell me that ordered structure, intelligence and information can arise from a series of seemingly random and completely coincidental processes which you seem to be postulating.

Now you on the other hand seem to think that this "God" thing is very real.

Where did I say that?

despite only having cloudy logic

I lol'd.

quotes taken out of context

Which quotes are you talking about?

and a mountain of speculation.

Speculation based on compelling evidence? What's wrong with that? You think I should stop thinking about and seriously considering ideas because science hasn't proven them beyond a doubt? No thanks. Assuming it's existence; I don't think "God"  could possibly be a physical being like us, therefore I do not need physical, emperical scientific evidence of it's existence like you do nor do I think God could even be proven solely by the scientific method, I need only consider what evidence is available of the logical order and structure of the universe aswell as numerous other aspects to seriously consider the idea of God.

The very foundation of philosophy is based upon speculation.

Now, isn't that odd?

No. And what is the neg rep for? Grow up (whoever that is, if it's not you)

Reply #5776 Posted: August 26, 2008, 02:59:17 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!

Reply #5777 Posted: August 26, 2008, 03:05:55 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: Turkish;783438

You still can't tell me that ordered structure, intelligence and information can arise from a series of seemingly random and completely coincidental processes which you seem to be postulating.

these processes are not random

also structure can appear in random processes, the is a part of pi that goes 012345679

Quote from: Arnifix;783428
To ride on Cobra's coattails,

you can have a ride any time

Reply #5778 Posted: August 26, 2008, 03:07:15 pm

Offline Turkish

• I Posted!
Quote from: cobra;783445
these processes are not random

Even if such processes that lead to the structure and perception of design that we witness in the universe are not completely random, it is very difficult to make the assumption that it could arise from a series of highly unlikely "coincidences". Randomness or not, evolution can not solely explain (the existence of) or the finely-tuned constants that govern everything in the universe.

Reply #5779 Posted: August 26, 2008, 03:14:35 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: Turkish;783454
Even if such processes that lead to the structure and perception of design that we witness in the universe are not completely random, it is very difficult to make the assumption that it could arise from a series of highly unlikely "coincidences". Randomness or not, evolution can not solely explain the (existence of) or the finely-tuned constants that govern everything in the universe.

psyche, the thing you dont understand is if the constants were different then we couldn't see them, so given that we can see them it is not surprising that the seem "finely-tuned" - For all we know these constants might not have any room for "tuning" and are set for some natural reason or maybe universe's have been forming for eternity and one just lucked out with the right constants - there are natural explanations for this without leaping to the universe being designed

Reply #5780 Posted: August 26, 2008, 03:21:01 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: cobra;783427
you were going so well convincing me that the church was more tolerant than i thought, but before i can by it completely i just need to be assured that the church doesn't organise intolerance campaigns - you probably just missed my question, so i will ask it again, the church doesn't have any issues with homosexuals, apart from the sin but we all sin and are sinners, as long as they ask for forgiveness the church is cool - given that it would not make sense for the church to try to stop these people having equal human rights therefore the church wouldn't be involved in campaigns against the civil union bill or be opposed to same sex couples raising children - is that correct, if not can you explain where my logic breaks down

See, you say 'the church' but you mean 'Destiny Church' :P

What is true for one church is not true for all churches; for example, my church was not involved in campaigning against either of these things, and nor were the majority of churches nationwide. The main stance among Christians - at least as far as those 2 issues are concerned (Civil Unions; Same Sex Couples & Kids) - seemed to be that people should be free to make their own decisions.

Church policy or opinion on these things is such that if you hear a preacher or pastor state their stance on the matter, thats really only their stance and is not reflective of their church as a whole, let alone the institution of Christianity. If you went around a church and asked the people there their opinions on a bunch of stuff, it would be all over the place since Christian people are allowed to be free thinking, and exercise that right, the same as nonChristian people do.

Quote from: cobra;783427
cheers, your friend and mentor

Cobra

I LOL'd :D

(so if we're friends, does that mean I have to start getting you birthday cards?! :D)

Quote from: Arnifix;783428
To ride on Cobra's coattails, I'd still like to know if serial rapists who ask for forgiveness get into heaven, despite continuing to rape.

Depends on the definition of heaven ;)

On a more serious note, this all comes down to the idea of salvation - if you genuinely accept God and Jesus, and genuinely ask for forgiveness for your sins, you become 'saved' - but you can lose that salvation by continuing to sin after the fact. I don't know exactly how it all works; if the last thing he does before death is rape someone, I would say no, but if the last thing he does is geneuinely ask for salvation and genuinely ask for forgiveness, then I would think yes. My feeling would be the answer is no if the serial rapist continues to rape.

Remember, too, that the Bible teaches that people should be forgiving as well; though this is easier said than done :)

Reply #5781 Posted: August 26, 2008, 03:22:02 pm

Offline nick247

• Addicted
  • nick247 has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;783456
Depends on the definition of heaven ;)

On a more serious note, this all comes down to the idea of salvation - if you genuinely accept God and Jesus, and genuinely ask for forgiveness for your sins, you become 'saved' - but you can lose that salvation by continuing to sin after the fact. I don't know exactly how it all works; if the last thing he does before death is rape someone, I would say no, but if the last thing he does is geneuinely ask for salvation and genuinely ask for forgiveness, then I would think yes. My feeling would be the answer is no if the serial rapist continues to rape.

do you believe the above to be fact though? and if so do these facts change the way you might behave to other people or make decisions in your present life?

Reply #5782 Posted: August 26, 2008, 03:43:36 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: nick247;783466
do you believe the above to be fact though? and if so do these facts change the way you might behave to other people or make decisions in your present life?

I believe it, in terms of morals or principles to apply to my own life. In that sense I guess it does affect how I behave towards others and decisions I make. And I do believe that if I sin, there are repercussions (call it karma). As a result, do I try and avoid sinning where and when I can? Yes I do.

By the same token, do I fail at avoiding sin every now and then? Yes I do.

Aside from that ... maybe I don't understand the question?

Reply #5783 Posted: August 26, 2008, 03:55:33 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: Turkish;783454
Even if such processes that lead to the structure and perception of design that we witness in the universe are not completely random, it is very difficult to make the assumption that it could arise from a series of highly unlikely "coincidences". Randomness or not, evolution can not solely explain (the existence of) or the finely-tuned constants that govern everything in the universe.

What you don't seem to understand is that your entire premise is wrong. You keep going on about what a coincidence it is that the universe exists and that we are here to witness it. It simply isn't. If the universe didn't exist as it currently does we wouldn't be here, something else would.

An argument frequently used by ID thickos is the idea that if the universe is random, then why couldn't a tornado in a junkyard put together a jumbo jet. And the answer that is given every single time this is trotted out is that it would inevitably occur if the junkyard was the size of the universe and several billion years passed.

Sidenote: Getting all of your arguments from Wikipedia's list of ID "theories" is a great way to fail. Keep it up, the laughter will only get louder.

Reply #5784 Posted: August 26, 2008, 04:00:38 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline brucewillis2

• Addicted
  • brucewillis2 has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;783456
Church policy or opinion on these things is such that if you hear a preacher or pastor state their stance on the matter, thats really only their stance and is not reflective of their church as a whole, let alone the institution of Christianity. If you went around a church and asked the people there their opinions on a bunch of stuff, it would be all over the place since Christian people are allowed to be free thinking, and exercise that right, the same as nonChristian people do.

See that's another thing I find weird about church goers, they just twist the bible to suit, all these hundreds of churches all making up their own set of rules. Christianity is a shambles. They are all yelling and preaching - "our way is the right way, we follow the true voice of god!"

And nobody can say they are wrong because the bible has be translated into so many different ways. It's such a mess, would be nice if they all could agree on one way to bother god.

Reply #5785 Posted: August 26, 2008, 04:09:56 pm

Offline Turkish

• I Posted!
Quote from: Arnifix;783477
What you don't seem to understand is that your entire premise is wrong.

Tell that to the many scientists that agree with the fine-tuning argument.

You keep going on about what a coincidence it is that the universe exists and that we are here to witness it. It simply isn't. If the universe didn't exist as it currently does we wouldn't be here, something else would.

Um, no. This is a failure to understand the fine tuning argument on your behalf. If any of the physical constants of nature were even SLIGHTLY different by a fraction of a percent, NOTHING would be here, there would be no planets, no solar systems, no complexity, no evolution, no life. There are just far too many coincidences for it all to have happened by chance. If you honestly believe the origin of the universe happened by sheer chance alone, you are deluding yourself beyond recognition.

The fine-tuning argument is accepted by the majority of scientists worldwide, it is not a proponent of Intelligent Design, it is a scientific principle.

An argument frequently used by ID thickos is the idea that if the universe is random, then why couldn't a tornado in a junkyard put together a jumbo jet. And the answer that is given every single time this is trotted out is that it would inevitably occur if the junkyard was the size of the universe and several billion years passed.

You honestly believe a tornado could form a complex structure as a jumbo jet? How exactly do you come to this conclusion?

Sidenote: Getting all of your arguments from Wikipedia's list of ID "theories" is a great way to fail. Keep it up, the laughter will only get louder.

I'm not getting anything from Wiki sorry, I already have a decent understanding of the fine-tuning principle and the evidence that supports it, I do not need to refer to Wikipedia at all. Your childish arrogance is blinding your judgement and causing you to make ridiculous statements with the intent of trying to make me look silly when really you're the only one that looks silly here at the moment.

Reply #5786 Posted: August 26, 2008, 04:16:39 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;783474
And I do believe that if I sin, there are repercussions (call it karma).

Karma is a concept from Eastern religious and philosophical traditions. How does this fit into the 'model' of Christianity?

....and if karma can be appropriated, why not the whole pantheon?

Reply #5787 Posted: August 26, 2008, 04:18:54 pm
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;783474
And I do believe that if I sin, there are repercussions (call it karma).

Karma is a concept from Eastern religious and philosophical traditions. How does this fit into the 'model' of Christianity?

Quote from: Turkish;783492

Um, no. This is a failure to understand the fine tuning argument on your behalf. If any of the physical constants of nature were even SLIGHTLY different by a fraction of a percent, NOTHING would be here, there would be no planets, no solar systems, no complexity, no evolution, no life.

Even the planets 'wander' on their orbit by more than a fraction of a percent..
How does this reconcile with the notion that you posted above?

Also, how many coincidences are too many?
What is wrong with leaving it to chance?

Reply #5788 Posted: August 26, 2008, 04:20:40 pm

Offline Arnifix

The fine-tuning argument is accepted by the majority of scientists worldwide, it is not a proponent of Intelligent Design, it is a scientific principle.

Stop lying.

Reply #5789 Posted: August 26, 2008, 04:25:00 pm

Offline brucewillis2

• Addicted
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;783497

Yeah I always wondered about that. You have all these religions who think they know what's going on. What's flea's stance on the other religions around? Do you think they are all misguided?

Reply #5790 Posted: August 26, 2008, 04:26:53 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!

You honestly believe a tornado could form a complex structure as a jumbo jet? How exactly do you come to this conclusion?

Psyche you just aren't making any progress.

Repetition doesn't equal truth, and your tactic of making blanket claims then refusing to answer when pressed for specifics is tiresome. You obviously have nothing new to add, and watching you make a fool of yourself again is embarrassing. Au revoir.

Save yourself some keyboard wear

Reply #5791 Posted: August 26, 2008, 04:28:10 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline Turkish

• I Posted!

Even the planets 'wander' on their orbit by more than a fraction of a percent..
How does this reconcile with the notion that you posted above?

Not sure what you mean? Y'know, I'm not going to claim that I think the universe and nature is perfectly tuned for life or anything like that, because with natural disasters and diseases that is obviously just not true, the universe is not a perfect place - but even that is not enough to make me not believe there must be something going on behind it all rather than just blind chance.  And the evidence seems to be extremely compelling to the majority of scientists, so if it's good enough for them then it is good enough for me.

Reply #5792 Posted: August 26, 2008, 04:28:10 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: brucewillis2;783484
See that's another thing I find weird about church goers, they just twist the bible to suit, all these hundreds of churches all making up their own set of rules. Christianity is a shambles. They are all yelling and preaching - "our way is the right way, we follow the true voice of god!"

And nobody can say they are wrong because the bible has be translated into so many different ways. It's such a mess, would be nice if they all could agree on one way to bother god.

The thing is, the topics people get hung up on - for example, Civil Unions - aren't spoken about very much either in churches or in the bible; the closest is the verses on homosexuality - and its largely left to people to make up their own minds, exactly like in the real world.

But then, what if two women aren't sleeping together and want to get married? There's no mention of that in the bible. And even then, even if the bible was to speak on this, why should non-believers have to follow rules inspired by a book they don't believe in?

The difference between churches isn't really as wide as people would have you think. For the most part people either agree or accept the differences. You won't go into a church and hear a preacher slagging off other churches very often; and even if you do, the motivation is generally to clarify something. I think people look at all the different churches and go "heck, what is the real difference between all these people", so its more like a perceived difference.

Reply #5793 Posted: August 26, 2008, 04:28:50 pm

Offline ThumbsUpGuy

• Just settled in
  • ThumbsUpGuy has no influence.
When it gets right down to it...

If any one religion is true and the apocalypse came right now, 5 billion people (at a minimum depending on religion) would be very VERY embarrassed.

Reply #5794 Posted: August 26, 2008, 04:29:30 pm
I met a girl on the internet once. She was great, you know - smart, sexy, uninhibited...Of course when we finally arranged to meet she turned out to be a 13 year old paraplegic boy....I\'m not gonna lie, the sex was disappointing....

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
Quote from: Turkish;783506
And the evidence seems to be extremely compelling to the majority of scientists, so if it's good enough for them then it is good enough for me.

And who are these "majority of scientists"?

Sorry, I need sources over your word.

Reply #5795 Posted: August 26, 2008, 04:35:25 pm

Offline brucewillis2

• Addicted
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;783508
The difference between churches isn't really as wide as people would have you think.

What about religions? Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Judaism, Bahá'í Faith, Confucianism, Jainism, Shinto.

they all have millions of followers and all believe in their religion. What do you think of who they worship and what they believe in? Do you respect their beliefs or think they are nutty for worshiping another deity?

Reply #5796 Posted: August 26, 2008, 04:35:41 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted

Semantics, semantics, semantics :P The word "Karma", as I use it, just means 'what goes around, comes around' - in the bible, its referred to as 'reaping what you sow' - in physics, its referred to as 'every action has an equal, opposite reaction' - its worded differently everywhere. Further than that, the word 'karma' has become something of a colloquialism, so lets not get hung up on using it in that sense ;)

Quote from: brucewillis2;783504
Yeah I always wondered about that. You have all these religions who think they know what's going on. What's flea's stance on the other religions around? Do you think they are all misguided?

To be honest, I never really think about it. If I had to give an answer I would say that they are all misguided according to my beliefs, but at the same time, I'm misguided according to their beliefs. I guess we just put our money down (so to speak) - mine is on God, others are on Buddha or whatever, some of you guys have put money on atheism - and just see what happens when we die.

I also find myself intrigued by the idea that everyone has experienced the same God, but tradition, culture and history has painted God differently (I think the term is universalism, though my take on it and understanding of it is very crude).

Reply #5797 Posted: August 26, 2008, 04:36:10 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: brucewillis2;783514
What about religions? Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Judaism, Bahá'í Faith, Confucianism, Jainism, Shinto.

they all have millions of followers and all believe in their religion. What do you think of who they worship and what they believe in? Do you respect their beliefs or think they are nutty for worshiping another deity?

See my above post.

Though I will also add that I respect others beliefs - each to their own, I say. I'm also well aware that I could be totally wrong in my beliefs, just as anyone could.

Reply #5798 Posted: August 26, 2008, 04:38:13 pm

Offline brucewillis2

• Addicted
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;783515
I also find myself intrigued by the idea that everyone has experienced the same God,

They have? what do you mean by that?

Reply #5799 Posted: August 26, 2008, 04:42:25 pm