Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline ThumbsUpGuy

• Just settled in
  • ThumbsUpGuy has no influence.
Good point though....My choice would have been the Ancient Greek religion, as the Olympic Gods rocked!

That's an excelent basis for the devotion of your immortal soul :lolol:

Reply #5925 Posted: August 31, 2008, 08:44:26 pm
I met a girl on the internet once. She was great, you know - smart, sexy, uninhibited...Of course when we finally arranged to meet she turned out to be a 13 year old paraplegic boy....I\'m not gonna lie, the sex was disappointing....

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;786560
You don't drink coffee, eat chocolate? I'm disappointed in you Tiwa!

Good point though....My choice would have been the Ancient Greek religion, as the Olympic Gods rocked!

Who doesn't like guys who turn into swans and rape women.

Reply #5926 Posted: August 31, 2008, 10:50:54 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Yep, Zeus, what awesome powers! :rnr:

'Though Hephaestus was more my style

Reply #5927 Posted: August 31, 2008, 11:35:53 pm
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline frog.

• Devoted Member
  • frog. has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;780305
What if it isn't a story? Or more interestingly, how did it just happen that the same idea of the gods (being trinitarian in nature) popped up in all those different religions all over the world?

What interests me is the fact that these ideas come from peoples older then Christianity. Remember the bible is apparently Gods word yet we see Gods word before God has spoken so to speak.

Reply #5928 Posted: September 07, 2008, 08:41:00 pm
pancakesrreal | Everyone of us is high but you

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Remember that at its core, the Bible - particularly the Old Testament - is presented as an account of God's interaction with humans. It isn't written to convince one of the existence of God, or to establish the idea of a God - it's written under the assumption that a) God exists, and b) the existence of God is common knowledge, having been established much earlier.

Reply #5929 Posted: September 07, 2008, 10:28:00 pm

Offline nick247

• Addicted
  • nick247 has no influence.
Unfortunalty with a bit of liberty and a poor defination of what truely constitutes trinitarian in nature nearly any organisation can appear that way

Arguing about religion is like arguing about the existance of a company in another country.

Arguing the trinity is like saying the company definatly has this type of structure

You see we dont even know what country this company is in therefore its very difficult to accuratly speculate over the likely company structure.

We dont know how big the company is, we dont even now exactly what goals and objectives the company has, and we dont know what industry they are in. We also dont know why the company was created.

All of this information would allow us to guess at possible company structures, but without it you would be a fucking moron to claim you know the company structure (you actually would be, this example can be changed into any number of things)

IN addition as difficult as it would be to accuratly guess the company structure, it would still be 100 (or more) times easier than accuratly guessing the correct structure of the one true religion (whatever that may be assuming it even exists)

Arguing that there are angels and the devil is like arguing that in this supposed company theres a guy in the basement whose job is head of robotics, hes likes his coffee black with no sugar, and hes a bit of a dick................oh and his name is bob

Reply #5930 Posted: September 07, 2008, 10:46:52 pm

Offline nick247

• Addicted
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;790714
 it's written under the assumption that a) God exists, and b) the existence of God is common knowledge, having been established much earlier.

fuck the bible then i want to read the book that documents the discovery that god exists.............that one sounds interesting

Reply #5931 Posted: September 07, 2008, 10:48:54 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Quote from: nick247;790727

Arguing that there are angels and the devil is like arguing that in this supposed company theres a guy in the basement whose job is head of robotics, hes likes his coffee black with no sugar, and hes a bit of a dick................oh and his name is bob

Wasn't he played by Morgan Freeman?

Reply #5932 Posted: September 08, 2008, 07:21:32 am

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
They're claiming to have "nearly" created artificial life again.

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/09/biologists-on-t.html

Shouldn't be a problem to theists, unless they believe in intelligent design off course.

I can almost hear them now, using this as proof of an intelligent designer. The artificial life was intelligently designed after all...

Reply #5933 Posted: September 10, 2008, 01:46:59 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline frog.

• Devoted Member
  • frog. has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;790714
Remember that at its core, the Bible - particularly the Old Testament - is presented as an account of God's interaction with humans. It isn't written to convince one of the existence of God, or to establish the idea of a God - it's written under the assumption that a) God exists, and b) the existence of God is common knowledge, having been established much earlier.

Are you trying to say that God, your God ( the Tetragrammaton, Greek for YHWH, commonly pronounced Yahweh) was common knowledge throughout the ancient world?

"God" such a misused word. Yes, gods were established much earlier but old mate Yahweh was not there. This guy it seems is a modern concoction or at the very least a purposely distorted entity. Nowhere else (unless someone can show me) do they speak of him and his interaction with humans.

Reply #5934 Posted: September 11, 2008, 11:14:54 am
pancakesrreal | Everyone of us is high but you

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.

Reply #5935 Posted: September 26, 2008, 09:32:24 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted

Reply #5936 Posted: September 26, 2008, 10:54:02 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Sorry for the necro but this link was too good to leave off

A steady stream of devoted evolutionists continued to gather in this small Tennessee town today to witness what many believe is an image of Charles Darwin—author of The Origin Of Species and founder of the modern evolutionary movement—made manifest on a concrete wall in downtown Dayton.

"I brought my baby to touch the wall, so that the power of Darwin can purify her genetic makeup of undesirable inherited traits," said Darlene Freiberg, one among a growing crowd assembled here to see the mysterious stain, which appeared last Monday on one side of the Rhea County Courthouse. The building was also the location of the famed "Scopes Monkey Trial" and is widely considered one of Darwinism's holiest sites. "Forgive me, O Charles, for ever doubting your Divine Evolution. After seeing this miracle of limestone pigmentation with my own eyes, my faith in empirical reasoning will never again be tested."

evolutionists flock to darwin

Reply #5937 Posted: October 17, 2008, 03:37:25 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
I LOL'd.

Thanks for bringing the thread back from the dead, btw :D

Reply #5938 Posted: October 17, 2008, 04:09:52 pm

Offline Scunner

• Addicted
  • Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...
Thought this was relevent to post here for another revive ...

London's iconic red buses could be plastered with the slogan "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life," in an atheist advertising campaign responding to a set of Christian ads.

Comedy writer Ariane Sherine, 28, objected to the Christian adverts on some London buses, which carried an internet address warning that people who rejected God were condemned to spend eternity in "torment in hell".

She sought STG5 ($A12.90) donations towards a "reassuring" counter-advertisement - and received the backing of the British Humanist Association (BHA) and atheist campaigner Professor Richard Dawkins.

The campaign has already smashed its STG5,500 ($A14,215) target and the slogan is planned to hit the side of several London buses in January.

"We see so many posters advertising salvation through Jesus or threatening us with eternal damnation, that I feel sure that a bus advert like this will be welcomed as a breath of fresh air," said BHA chief executive Hanne Stinson.

Dawkins said: "This campaign to put alternative slogans on London buses will make people think - and thinking is anathema to religion."

A Church of England spokesman said: "We would defend the right of any group representing a religious or philosophical position to be able to promote that view through appropriate channels.

"However, Christian belief is not about worrying or not enjoying life.

"Quite the opposite - our faith liberates us to put this life into a proper perspective."

A spokesman for Transport for London told AFP they had not received such an advertisement application and would wait to view it before deciding whether it met their advertising guidelines.

"No advertisement of this kind has been submitted to TfL at this time," he said.

"If approved, then it will appear on our network."

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=656762

Reply #5939 Posted: October 29, 2008, 02:53:10 pm

Offline WebSlug

• I Posted!
  • WebSlug has no influence.

Reply #5940 Posted: October 30, 2008, 01:05:57 am
Admin at Mods Reloaded

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Kind of an understatement :bounce:

I kinda miss the arguements we used to have here.
Good times!

Reply #5941 Posted: October 30, 2008, 07:27:33 am

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.

Reply #5942 Posted: November 09, 2008, 01:44:13 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
A question for everyone - what would it take to change your mind - eg christians becoming Atheist or Atheist becoming christain (dont care about damn agnostic fence sitters)

Reply #5943 Posted: November 09, 2008, 03:12:01 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
dont they say god exists through their belief?

what happened before we existed in the bible? no one to believe means no existence?

if there is a designer what did he base his designs on? and who designed the designer? if the designed has infinite wisdom then how have i managed to get the flu? and an inner ear infection?

bullshit if you ask me.

Reply #5944 Posted: November 09, 2008, 03:22:05 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Virus.

• Devoted Member
  • Virus. has no influence.
If you ask me the bible seems a bit far fetched. perhaps you should read a book called "Jesus the man". it does a good job attemting to explain the bible and what may have really happened.

Because well likely never know which religon is right, im gonna stick to being agnostic.

Reply #5945 Posted: November 09, 2008, 03:44:17 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: cobra;830058
A question for everyone - what would it take to change your mind - eg christians becoming Atheist or Atheist becoming christain (dont care about damn agnostic fence sitters)

Me?

Higgs Boson

Reply #5946 Posted: November 09, 2008, 05:29:10 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline nick247

• Addicted
Quote from: cobra;830058

a well reasoned logical explanation of the christian faith based on near indisbutable fact

if god himself came down from teh sky and it was blindingly obvious it was not some crazy awesome hoax even then i would still want a reasoned explanation of why i need to pray at church

my guess is god would be like "no all that shit is complete BS" in which case i wouldnt become a christian

Reply #5947 Posted: November 09, 2008, 05:56:45 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: nick247;830149
a well reasoned logical explanation of the christian faith based on near indisbutable fact

if god himself came down from teh sky and it was blindingly obvious it was not some crazy awesome hoax even then i would still want a reasoned explanation of why i need to pray at church

my guess is god would be like "no all that shit is complete BS" in which case i wouldnt become a christian

if all that happened I'd still be asking about the science behind it.

what allows you to be an inter dimensional being? is it objective or subjective? can it be achieved or even perceived by humans? how do you float? is it gravity bending, magnetic disruption or an ever last energy source feeding some sort of photon based mass? which is what also makes you so bright and shiny?

Reply #5948 Posted: November 09, 2008, 06:12:07 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline [tsw].Forsaken

• Just settled in
  • [tsw].Forsaken has no influence.
I would become an atheist if science itself could explain everything...from spirit to freedom, from love to hate, from soul to conscience, from life and enjoyment, to death and sorrow....etc.

I mean, some of the most scientific minds of human history have reached the conclusion that there is something "else", call him God, the Force or the architect. Einstein said Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind, which I agree. Also, Aristotle reached a similar conclusion, where he stated that he believed in something else.

Reply #5949 Posted: November 09, 2008, 06:21:43 pm