Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline UppityDuck

• Addicted
  • UppityDuck has no influence.
Quote from: KiLL3r;920066
the wost thing NZ could possibly do is acknowledge islam for anything

...like Mathematics for example?

Reply #6675 Posted: April 11, 2009, 10:37:21 am
A mere friend will agree with you, but a real friend will argue.

Russian Proverb

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: UppityDuck;920074
...like Mathematics for example?

islam mathematics has nothing to do with islam the religion.

"In English we use the word “Islam” with two distinct meanings, and the distinction is often blurred and lost and gives rise to considerable confusion. In the one sense, Islam is the counterpart of Christianity; that is to say, a religion in the strict sense of the word: a system of belief and worship. In the other sense, Islam is the counterpart of Christendom; that is to say, a civilization shaped and defined by a religion, but containing many elements apart from and even hostile to that religion, yet arising within that civilization."

islam mathematics is in the latter category

where in my post i refer to the former

Reply #6676 Posted: April 11, 2009, 10:44:37 am

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t12/swind1e/sc36ctmp.jpg
Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Reply #6677 Posted: April 11, 2009, 11:10:07 am
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Iblis

• Just settled in
  • Iblis has no influence.

Reply #6678 Posted: April 11, 2009, 12:54:52 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!

Reply #6679 Posted: April 11, 2009, 01:19:14 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline TeamWang

• Just settled in
  • TeamWang has no influence.
Quote from: Arnifix;920067
Bro, they offered to sell you food. I couldn't even get that.

I was flying back from Brisbane on good Friday and the airline staff were quite happy to get me liquored up. There's nothing like dodging religious holidays by hanging out in international territory. I guess God doesn't exist one mile up.

Reply #6680 Posted: April 11, 2009, 02:21:24 pm

Offline Dante

• Just settled in
  • Dante has no influence.
"But realize this, that in the last days difficult times will come. For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy, unloving, irreconcilable, malicious, gossips, without self control, brutal, haters of good, treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God." (2 Tim. 3:1-4).

The attitudes in this thread make me feel absolutely sick. It is clearer to me now more than ever that the sinful nature of man is absolutely real. No one here is concerned with compassion, nor selflessness, nor righteousness, nor forgiveness, nor peace, nor justice, nor truth or wisdom, nor establishing goodwill. No, the people here are more concerned with hateful intolerance, greed, selfish desire and the consumption of chocolate easter eggs. Yes let's all gorge ourselves on chocolate in celebration of our pitifully self-centered and greed driven consumer culture. Well done. Apparently these are the more important things in life. So utterly lost and misguided...

Humanity is doomed.

Reply #6681 Posted: April 11, 2009, 04:17:29 pm

Offline Dante

• Just settled in
Quote from: TeamWang;919656
You mean when the Christians irrational war on evolution is over and we all have no choice but to believe that our one true source of happiness is his love, and our lord, Jesus Christ?

This is a ridiculous generalization. It is a very small minority of Christian denominations that try to refute evolution. It's only because the media capitalizes on these situations and tries to turn it into some huge drama that we hear about it more often than what we would otherwise.

Atheistic materialists are just as dogmatic and tedious as these creationist-type people though.

Reply #6682 Posted: April 11, 2009, 04:25:46 pm

Offline Dante

• Just settled in
Quote from: TeamWang;919656
You mean when the Christians irrational war on evolution is over and we all have no choice but to believe that our one true source of happiness is his love, and our lord, Jesus Christ?

This is a ridiculous generalization. It is a very small minority of Christian denominations that try to refute evolution. It's only because the media capitalizes on these situations and tries to turn it into some huge drama that we hear about it more often than what we would otherwise.

Atheistic materialists are just as dogmatic and tedious as these creationist-type people.

Reply #6683 Posted: April 11, 2009, 04:32:32 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Quote from: Dante;920160
"But realize this, that in the last days difficult times will come. For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy, unloving, irreconcilable, malicious, gossips, without self control, brutal, haters of good, treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God." (2 Tim. 3:1-4).

Yet none of the things listed in that quote apply to me or my family ( well maybe unholy lover of pleasure), or I suspect to the majority of family people who post in ICONZ, yet among us all some have varying degrees of belief in god(s) of various sorts, through agnosticism, to "atheistic materialists".

Your implication that if you don't believe in God then you're "lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy, unloving, irreconcilable, malicious, gossips, without self control, brutal, haters of good, treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure" when those traits are unrelated to religious belief, is dogmatic and tedious

Reply #6684 Posted: April 11, 2009, 05:08:57 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline Dante

• Just settled in
You said it yourself Dr_Woohoo - there can be no meaningful dialogue between you and me. As unfortunate as that may be. For I have decided to relentlessly seek truth and the highest wisdom, and you have decided that you are uninterested in truth altogether. So what can there be to discuss...?

Reply #6685 Posted: April 11, 2009, 05:28:17 pm

Offline nick247

• Addicted
  • nick247 has no influence.
The attitudes in this thread make me feel absolutely sick. It is clearer to me now more than ever that the sinful nature of man is absolutely real. No one here is concerned with compassion, nor selflessness, nor righteousness, nor forgiveness, nor peace, nor justice, nor truth or wisdom, nor establishing goodwill. No, the people here are more concerned with hateful intolerance, greed, selfish desire and the consumption of chocolate easter eggs. Yes let's all gorge ourselves on chocolate in celebration of our pitifully self-centered and greed driven consumer culture. Well done.[B
Apparently these are the more important things in life. [/B]So utterly lost and misguided...

Humanity is doomed.

unfortunatly noone has the exact answer as to what is important in life for anyone other than yourself, and anyone who thinks they do is foolish and arrogant

There is no single right way to live your life.

Reply #6686 Posted: April 11, 2009, 07:38:10 pm

Offline Iblis

• Just settled in
  • Iblis has no influence.

The attitudes in this thread make me feel absolutely sick. It is clearer to me now more than ever that the sinful nature of man is absolutely real. No one here is concerned with compassion, nor selflessness, nor righteousness, nor forgiveness, nor peace, nor justice, nor truth or wisdom, nor establishing goodwill. No, the people here are more concerned with hateful intolerance, greed, selfish desire and the consumption of chocolate easter eggs. Yes let's all gorge ourselves on chocolate in celebration of our pitifully self-centered and greed driven consumer culture. Well done. Apparently these are the more important things in life. So utterly lost and misguided...

Humanity is doomed.
Dude, I don't even like chocolate.
Are we supposed to take that seriously? Did you think that by quoting a passage out of the bible would insulate you from the responsibility of personally accusing us of those attributes? Although I find it ludicrous and even laughable, I'd like to respond: Fuck you, too. After all your exhaustive defence of christian values in this thread you find a backhanded way of passing judgement on all of us. Better go and repent. I find the irony of this that as atheists/agnostics(come on ppl), we actually put our faith in YOU to be a moral, upstanding person WITHOUT the threat of retribution from a supernatural prison warden. We, like Jesus, will know that you are human, and will make mistakes, and have weaknesses, but we just won't let you use some fairy tale as a crutch to avoid responsibility for your own actions. I'm sorry that you were unable to see that. Next time put your faith in your fellow people instead of an invisible landlord that never returns your calls.

Quote from: Dante;920165

Atheistic materialists are just as dogmatic and tedious as these creationist-type people.
It's just like every generation before it, and the cycle will continue until we end. I'm glad that most christians are moderate enough now to not refute evolution, but they seriously need to continue addressing the archaic and anachronistic contradictions that their belief system has with the progression of human knowledge. There is only room for two types of christians in this world: either you believe it verbatim, as a fundamentalist, or you pick-and-choose as an apologist/revisionist. The first implies that the word of God(bible) is absolute and irrefutable. Oddly enough, I can understand that. I think it's absolutely mad, but at least it's crystal clear for them. The latter implies that it is either all a metaphor, or at least wide open to subjective interpretation. This is where it falls apart. Why was it ok to kill your son, sell your daughter into slavery, and kill your neighbour for working on Sunday, and then some saviour comes along and absolves the fact that you AREN'T doing these things in a rigidly prescribed manner, as long as you worship him and not your neighbour's god? This implies that it's still technically not OK to let homosexuals be themselves, simply enjoy the act of merely looking at your neighbour's wife's tits, or even wishing you had his fucking car(his ox). You either truly believe that all these things are not OK, or you do, and the worst kind of christian is the one such as yourself who bandies about his strength in the "word of god" when it suits his feelings, and drops it when his gay neighbour is wearing a cotton/wool blend. Get off your self-made cross and start coming to terms with your own belief system that you've chosen, and either find solace in it or drop it and free your programmed conscience.

Reply #6687 Posted: April 11, 2009, 08:26:23 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!

As if Christianity has a monopoly on doom-saying:
Quote from: The Mahabharata
And towards that period, even they that are always observant of vows will become covetous. And opposed to one another, men will, at such a time, seek one another’s lives; and divested of Yuga, people will become atheists and thieves. And they will even dig the banks of streams with their spades and sow grains thereon. And those men, who are devoted to ceremonial rites in honour of the deceased and of the gods, will be avaricious and will also appropriate and enjoy what belongs to others.

Oh and let us not forget the lulziest of them all....
The Top 10 FAILED apocalyptic predictions
Quote from: Number 9
Charles Wesley, one of the founders of the Methodist church believed that the world was going to end in 1794. This view concurred with that of the Shakers who also predicted that year as the end. Despite his error, Charles’ brother John also later made a prediction of the end times; John predicted that 1836 would be the year that the Great Beast would come to earth, marking the beginning of the end.

Humanity is doomed.

"for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God," - Romans 3:23
ALL
ALL!!!

Reply #6688 Posted: April 12, 2009, 08:05:07 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline EnjoyTheSauce

• Devoted Member
  • EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.

Humanity is doomed.

Disgusting is all I can say. One of my biggest dislikes of christianity is that you assume that every man by nature is evil and god is the only way of leading a good life.

I believe the opposite.

I'll lead a good life, be good to my friends have a family and lovingly raise a few wee ones. If i die and find there is a heaven and I'm not allowed in because of my beliefs, even though I led a good life, then I want nothing to do with this god anyway.

Reply #6689 Posted: April 12, 2009, 08:45:40 am
Related to *juice*. The Orz like *sauce*, which they seem to acquire through killing: "After the *dancing*, Orz think you will make good *special sauce*. Maybe even for other Orz *party*." It would seem this is likely to be something sinister. The Orz apparently wish those who take part in *parties* to enjoy the *sauce*, as in the above quote, or in their parting words from random encounters: "Do not forget to *enjoy the sauce*."

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
Yep dante you have won the award for most pathetic post and that is saying something around these parts.

You talk about compassion and peace yet you quote a part of the bible that is all about vengeance and judgement.

If there is a heaven then i really hope Christians like you that try to scare people into their way of thinking are left out.

I find that most of the people who post in this thread are all about compassion, justice etc and it is you that needs to open up to others and their way of looking at the world.

don't bother replying as you are now with illustrious company on my ignore list.

happy easter

Reply #6690 Posted: April 12, 2009, 10:49:36 am

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.

Reply #6691 Posted: April 30, 2009, 03:35:25 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline blackheartrum

• Just settled in
  • blackheartrum has no influence.
I didn't think anyone was of the belief evolution would have stopped? thats just crazy. I mean how are we meant to become more godless, satan loving heathens, for god to punish at the end times unless we evolve ?

PS Get your dam dirty hands off easter, you filthy theiving christians.

Reply #6692 Posted: April 30, 2009, 08:14:57 am

Offline lower

• I Posted!
  • lower has no influence.
Everyone needs to believe something, and faith in itself isn't a bad thing.
The thing i can't stand is organized religion, the whole institution is utterly fucked. it's full of self-righteous, power-tripping, hypocritical leaders who preach acceptance yet they won't accept you unless you conform exactly to their way of thinking.
the other day i had some 70yo Jehovah's witness come to my door and start preaching about how the end of the world is almost here, and how i need to repent my sinful ways or i'm not going to be resurrected into the new world or some shit like that.  i felt like slapping him in his smug self-righteous face. wtf makes me some kind of devil spawn sinner? because i don't wear floor length floral dresses and spent my weekend stuck in stuffy buildings listening to how horrible i am. i would seriously take hell over being stuck in heaven listening to his shit.
ARGH!

Reply #6693 Posted: April 30, 2009, 01:12:07 pm

Offline psyclone

• Just settled in
  • psyclone has no influence.
When God gives you lemons....

FIND A NEW GOD!!!

Reply #6694 Posted: April 30, 2009, 01:56:01 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: lower;929226
... and faith in itself isn't a bad thing.

blind faith is a bad thing and misguided faith is also a bad thing so faith in god is a bad thing

Reply #6695 Posted: April 30, 2009, 06:00:45 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: cobra;929339
blind faith is a bad thing and misguided faith is also a bad thing so faith in god is a bad thing

yes, yes and no.

lower makes an insightful post and you misquote a tiny part of it and come up with some bullshit line that doesn't make any sense.

Reply #6696 Posted: April 30, 2009, 06:10:03 pm

Offline lower

• I Posted!
  • lower has no influence.

But for millions of christians out there their faith in neither blind nor misguided.
their faith is what give them purpose and meaning, and just because i don't share the same views doesn't make their lives any less meaningful. If all the atheist and non-believers out there started telling the christians that their faith in god is a bad thing and misguided then ultimately your no better then the self-righteous preachy religious types.

Reply #6697 Posted: April 30, 2009, 06:50:52 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
What I think he was getting at was.

Believe in god = misguided
Believe in god = Blind faith

misguided = bad
Blind faith = bad

Believe in god = x2 Bad

Reply #6698 Posted: April 30, 2009, 06:54:43 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
First define misguided & blind then we can talk about the rest.

Reply #6699 Posted: April 30, 2009, 06:56:59 pm