Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;953666
That's a ridiculous statement to make.
Many historical figures are assumed to be real. Jesus has just as much evidence of his existence as say King Leonidas, that is to say the only evidence is historical documents.

I don't even understand why there is a debate at all on whether Jesus existence or not, apart from it steaming from Anti-Christian propaganda.

Erm, no. The difference between the types of historical documents supporting Christ vs Leonidas is huge. The texts on Leonidas were written by his contemporaries, which I believe it's already been established in this thread is not the case with christ.

Reply #6875 Posted: June 29, 2009, 10:08:39 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Many historical figures are assumed to be real. Jesus has just as much evidence of his existence as say King Leonidas, that is to say the only evidence is historical documents.

I don't even understand why there is a debate at all on whether Jesus existence or not, apart from it steaming from Anti-Christian propaganda.

I take it you haven't looked into this very much.

No, Josephus does not count as a valid source.

There were posts about this somewhere in this thread. please read them before reiterating!

Reply #6876 Posted: June 29, 2009, 10:19:47 am
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;953660
By the way, I'm part of a church that does believe in evolution, in terms of change. The fact of the matter is that you have billions of people worldwide - myself included - who don't believe that evolution is the answer to the very origin of life (specifically, the part where we turned from nothing into single cells).

Well there's the problem. Evolution has nothing to say about abiogenesis at all. That's like saying electromagnetic theory doesn't explain conservation of momentum.

I'm not aware of a solid, widely accepted theory for how abiogenesis occurred, but if you're looking for faith in atheism, then here's mine. If/when someone does figure out how abiogenesis occurred, it will be a process entirely consistent with the physical laws of the universe.

Reply #6877 Posted: June 29, 2009, 11:41:27 am

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;953654
Hey man, I asked for your thoughts on the science behind the idea, not your thoughts on the church at large or their willingness to spread "propaganda" (which, by the way, some consider a theory). I'm just getting a bit tired of constantly being met with a back-handed dismissal of anything I ask about - its not like I'm trying to preach at you or anything; I'm just asking for thoughts. Thanks for trying though.

There is no science behind these ideas, it is lies formulated to muddy the waters and distract people from the very real facts and evidence behind evolution.  

Quote from: ThaFleastyler;953654

Actually, here's a slightly unrelated question, if I could be forgiven a slight digression: Michael Behe, one of the major proponents of the idea, holds qualifications in biochemistry (B.Sc in Chemistry, PhD in Biochemistry) - do you consider his qualifications valid? Or does his personal beliefs or perspective affect the validity of his qualifications?

im not sure i understand your angle.  His personal beliefs do not effect the validity of his qualifications.

Having a chemistry qualification instead of biology and the fact that his ideas are ripped apart by the scientific community do mean that his view on this subject is not valid.

once again - these views have no factual basis and only have prominence because they are used by people with a superstitious agenda..

Reply #6878 Posted: June 29, 2009, 02:09:48 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: cobra;953766
There is no science behind these ideas, it is lies formulated to muddy the waters and distract people from the very real facts and evidence behind evolution.

See, I don't get this. You act like religious folks are the only people who disagree with evolution - in fact, isn't it fair to say that among atheistic, non-believing scientists there is still disagreement on whether evolution was the beginning of life?

Heck, even Dawkins admits that there is a chance of creation by higher intelligence - in the movie "Expelled", he is directly quoted as saying "I suppose it's possible that you might find evidence for that if you look at the um, at the detail... details of our chemistry molecular biology you might find a signature of some sort of designer ... Um, and that designer could well be a higher intelligence from elsewhere in the universe. But that higher intelligence would itself would have to come about by some explicable or ultimately explicable process. It couldn't have just jumped into existence spontaneously. That's the point."

As the film-makers point out, it sounds like he isn't against design, just certain types of designer - say, god(s).

Reply #6879 Posted: June 29, 2009, 02:26:06 pm

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;953770
See, I don't get this. You act like religious folks are the only people who disagree with evolution - in fact, isn't it fair to say that among atheistic, non-believing scientists there is still disagreement on whether evolution was the beginning of life?

Heck, even Dawkins admits that there is a chance of creation by higher intelligence - in the movie "Expelled", he is directly quoted as saying "I suppose it's possible that you might find evidence for that if you look at the um, at the detail... details of our chemistry molecular biology you might find a signature of some sort of designer ... Um, and that designer could well be a higher intelligence from elsewhere in the universe. But that higher intelligence would itself would have to come about by some explicable or ultimately explicable process. It couldn't have just jumped into existence spontaneously. That's the point."

As the film-makers point out, it sounds like he isn't against design, just certain types of designer - say, god(s).

you seem confused. Atheists arnt anti creation, they are anti god. I am an atheist and i believe there could be a superior being out there i just don't believe it is a god just some super evolved thing of awesome and more importantly i dont believe its any of the current earth religion god(s).

for some reason religious types think of atheist as anti-everything, when its just not true. I put this down to their lack of understanding.

Reply #6880 Posted: June 29, 2009, 05:49:19 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;953770

there is agreement that evolution is not the start of life, gravity is not the start of life and relativity is not the start of life.

evolution, by in large, is accepted as a fact. There is plenty of evidence and, by in large, the only people with issues are ones with superstitious agendas.  Evolution is a powerful tool once there is life.

Your quote from Expelled (ignorant christian propaganda) is taking the quote out of context, They are being wilfully dishonest to promote their discredited view point.  You have to ask, why do these people need to lie if there view has any substance?  That is the blessing of science, it is self-critiquing, and dishonesty and poor logic gets shown up.  The trouble with superstitious world views is they feel divinely justified - be it shooting doctors or quoting scientists out of context to try and reinforce their intellectually corrupt worldview.

Reply #6881 Posted: June 29, 2009, 07:08:51 pm

Offline Dante

• Just settled in
  • Dante has no influence.
quick question cobra: do you believe in free will? That is, do you believe you have the ability to make conscious decisions, and consciously act by your own will?

This is going to back to a topic I was discussing a few weeks back, but never got to back to you about...

Reply #6882 Posted: June 29, 2009, 07:48:13 pm

Offline Dante

• Just settled in
quick question cobra: do you believe in free will? That is, do you believe you have the ability to make conscious decisions, and consciously act by your own will?

This is going to back to a topic I was discussing a few weeks back, but never got to back to you about...

Reply #6883 Posted: June 29, 2009, 07:51:22 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Dante;953931

um.... not a good question for me.  It depends on what level.  All i know is i feel i have free will so if i "do" or "dont" isn't much concern.

do you need to start a random questions thread or something?

are you psyche?

Reply #6884 Posted: June 29, 2009, 07:55:47 pm

Offline Dante

• Just settled in
There's nothing random about the question, the issue of "free will" is closely related to theology and philosophy, and thus religion and religious belief.

Reply #6885 Posted: June 29, 2009, 08:01:26 pm

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: cobra;953933

are you psyche?

yes he is. and im guessing hes trying to set himself up to look smart. Of course we all know better :)

Reply #6886 Posted: June 29, 2009, 08:05:50 pm

Offline Dante

• Just settled in
There's nothing random about the question, the issue of "free will" is closely related to theology and philosophy, and thus religion and religious belief.

How can it "not be a concern"? Is it not a concern to you because you are aware that it can not be reconciled with your worldview so you decide to shrug it off and ignore it? I think it's incredibly important whether someone  believes in their own free will or not - and I'm not asking you if you "feel" like you have free will, I am asking you if you think humans, and yourself, have free will and if so - how?

Reply #6887 Posted: June 29, 2009, 08:07:43 pm

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
  • Zarathrustra has no influence.
You're asking that question in such a loaded manner it's not funny.

"Free Will" is as much of an illusion as a "Higher Power" is, for the exact same reasons covered in this thread a thousand times.  Action/Reaction is the only true god, be it in the physical world, or our minds, which funnily enough are  nothing more than part of the physical world.  

If you believe in free will, then you may as well believe in God too.  Both are equally irrational.

Reply #6888 Posted: June 29, 2009, 08:10:30 pm

Offline Dante

• Just settled in
So what? cobra's a big boy, I'm sure he can handle himself. It's a simple question.

Reply #6889 Posted: June 29, 2009, 08:13:04 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: cobra;953913
The trouble with superstitious world views is they feel divinely justified - be it shooting doctors or quoting scientists out of context to try and reinforce their intellectually corrupt worldview.

At least we agree on one thing - even though we're on different sides of the fence, we both believe that "shooting doctors", "quoting scientists out of context" and everything in between is wrong.

I will be looking at Expelled again, alot closer this time.
Is there a movie or site that tries to point out its flaws in detail?

Reply #6890 Posted: June 29, 2009, 08:49:29 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Sorry to change topic midway, but I thought you might be interested in this:

Science confirms tomb contains mortal remains of Apostle Paul, says Pope

The Pontiff said that recently the tomb was “subject to a scientific investigation. A small hole was drilled in the sarcophagus, unopened for centuries, and a probe was introduced. It found traces of a valuable purple fabric, in linen and gold layer-laminated, and a blue fabric with linen threads. Red incense grains and substances containing proteins and limestone were also discovered. Small fragments of bone were found and radiocarbon dated by experts who did not know their place of origin. Results indicate that they belong to someone who lived between the 1st and 2nd century A.D. This seems to confirm the unanimous and undisputed tradition according to which these are the mortal remains of the Apostle Paul. All this fills our soul with deep emotion.”

However, this does nothing to validate the historicity of Jesus.

earlier in this thread

^That's just one post from this thread. If you search for the 'historicity of Jesus' you'll find many more ;)

here's one for starters

Reply #6891 Posted: June 30, 2009, 09:30:01 am
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Zarathrustra;953940
You're asking that question in such a loaded manor it's not funny.

"Free Will" is as much of an illusion as a "Higher Power" is, for the exact same reasons covered in this thread a thousand times.  Action/Reaction is the only true god, be it in the physical world, or our minds, which funnily enough are  nothing more than part of the physical world.  

If you believe in free will, then you may as well believe in God too.  Both are equally irrational.

Lets have a closer look at the Free Will vs No Free Will argument

Free Will is an Illusion ergo all action is determined

OR

Free Will is true ergo all action is irrational and random

That is the only conclusion that can be certain. You cannot stretch the "Illusionary Free Will/Determined Future" argument to include a creator of any kind because, lo and behold: They fall into the "Free Will is Illusion!" trap too!

Their will to dictate or determine is directly tied to their desire to create the future which has already been determined. By who? Themselves? Yet their creations cant run free and determine fates for themselves? The only fate then for ALL creatures is slavery then, while some indolent super-being gloats about having so many people tell them (because it wont be one) how great they are.

Free Will is true and all action is irrational and random?

Yes. As a Chaotic Neutral individual I would definitely say that this is the case

Reply #6892 Posted: June 30, 2009, 10:49:27 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Zarathrustra;953940
You're asking that question in such a loaded manor it's not funny.

If you have no free will, then you can't be rational at all, because you don't have the ability to make rational decisions.

And it's you that thinks it's an illusion, it's fair enough that you make that conclusion for yourself, but don't pretend it's a fact. The debate on whether humans have free will has been going on for centuries and is still going on.

Reply #6893 Posted: June 30, 2009, 11:25:31 am

Offline TeamWang

• Just settled in
  • TeamWang has no influence.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;954132
If you have no free will, then you can't be rational at all, because you don't have the ability to make rational decisions.

Rational decisions can be made with or without free will. I would contend that it is easier to make rational decisions when you don't have free will, at lest free will in the sense that we can somehow partition some of our conciousness off in some other dimension where it can make decisions without any input what so-ever from the rest of reality, and then somehow inform our actions in a meaningful way, which is the irrational part.

Reply #6894 Posted: June 30, 2009, 12:46:21 pm

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted

And it's you that thinks it's an illusion, it's fair enough that you make that conclusion for yourself, but don't pretend it's a fact. The debate on whether humans have free will has been going on for centuries and is still going on.

Well, no, but "decisions" cannot be irrational either, as they are all just (albeit highly complex) mechanical reactions in response to other (re)actions, so everything is, by default, "not-irrational".  But I suppose my closing statement was a poor choice of words, in hindsight.  It's more semantics than anything though.

I have (for lack of a better word) 'decided' that that is not so much a fact, but the only "not-irrational" way of looking at it... but not by choice. All the information (input) my mind has been influenced by, including that which it itself has created, shows no reason for it not to be a fact.  Sure, the experience of my own consciousness should well lead my mind to believe the opposite as fact; the old "I think therefore I am" adage, but other input my mind has had, created, and processed over my lifetime has lead it/me to question what most see as obvious, and not see it as the paradox it appears to be from the outside.. or should I say, "the inside".

Believing Free Will to be fact, or at least "rational", means making that same "leap of faith" as religion; accepting without proof that there is something else influencing the universe other than the natural laws.  Us.  While that god complex may be an idea too hard for many to give up, even more so that the idea of a higher power, it makes more "not-irrational" sense not believing it.

That's just the way I see it.  Not that I have a choice.  Like any 'decision' I make in life, the outcome is always going to be governed by what I know, how my physical mind perceived and processed it, and the chemical state it's in at the time.  None of you are any different, other than the way your own mind perceives the data it's received.

Reply #6895 Posted: June 30, 2009, 01:02:09 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
The debate on whether humans have free will has been going on for centuries and is still going on.

For good reason (see below)
Quote from: TeamWang;954157
Rational decisions can be made with or without free will. I would contend that it is easier to make rational decisions when you don't have free will

...and I would contend that it is easier to make rational decisions if you DO have free will!

Why? Because whatever decision you make becomes the basis for further action/decision making. Even if you were to have complete randomness, you can still create a semblance of order by following some strict rules.

HOWEVER: In the event that you DONT have free will then everything you do is pre-ordained and therefore nothing you do actually matters[1] UNLESS you have some form of creator who falls outside of the wheel of karma/dharma[2] .... who falls prey to the 'creations are my slaves!' argument I put forth earlier

~No gods, no masters
No kings nor their court jesters~

Reply #6896 Posted: June 30, 2009, 01:10:09 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Zarathrustra;954163
That's just the way I see it.  Not that I have a choice.  Like any 'decision' I make in life, the outcome is always going to be governed by what I know, how my physical mind perceived and processed it, and the chemical state it's in at the time.  None of you are any different, other than the way your own mind perceives the data it's received.

Why do you insist that none of us are 'different', do you see me going around to people saying "You do have free will and you got not choice about it!".

No, I don't, i'm not qualified to make judgments about other people, because I can only see reality from my perceptive.
I can come to a conclusion about my reality as I perceive it, and if I have free will, but I can't do that for someone else because I don't know how they perceive reality, or even if they perceive reality at all.

Reply #6897 Posted: June 30, 2009, 01:17:20 pm

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
Well, it's just a word.  A word used to describe the way we percieve the reasoning behind decision.  It doesn't really mean anything.

Why? Because whatever decision you make becomes the basis for further action/decision making. Even if you were to have complete randomness, you can still create a semblance of order by following some strict rules.
Exactly.  But or mind is simply an mechanical object that evolved to create some order from the (percieved) chaos.  Natural Selection meant that machine stayed in existence, ever refining itself.  it needs no reason to be in existence.

HOWEVER: In the event that you DONT have free will then everything you do is pre-ordained and therefore nothing you do actually matters[1] UNLESS you have some form of creator who falls outside of the wheel of karma/dharma[2] .... who falls prey to the 'creations are my slaves!' argument I put forth earlier

Pre-ordained, yes, but not that that means anything or matters in any way.  The system is so complex that the outcome could never be seen, and there's no reason to think there was ever a consciousness to even care.  It just is what it is.

Reply #6898 Posted: June 30, 2009, 01:21:25 pm

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
Quote from: Spacemonkey;954169
Why do you insist that none of us are 'different', do you see me going around to people saying "You do have free will and you got not choice about it!".

No, I don't, i'm not qualified to make judgments about other people, because I can only see reality from my perceptive.
I can come to a conclusion about my reality as I perceive it, and if I have free will, but I can't do that for someone else because I don't know how they perceive reality, or even if they perceive reality at all.
Fair enough.  But again, it wouldn't be "not-irrational" to think you are any different.  It would simply be a mad assumption with no basis.

It is rational for me to assume I know how you perceive reality, as I can see exactly were your argument is coming from, and I know that I'd be making the same assumptions if it weren't for other things I can see my mind has perceived.

Reply #6899 Posted: June 30, 2009, 01:24:47 pm