Topic: whats the best game ever

Offline Mr Prejudice

• Just settled in
  • Mr Prejudice has no influence.
The Worms series will have to be my favourtie, simple, yet extremley satisfying.

CS:S and all the others follow closly

Reply #175 Posted: January 09, 2006, 03:07:52 pm
Try Me

Offline QUPHOZ

• Addicted
  • QUPHOZ has no influence.
Go Home Stay home, good old primary school classic back in the old old old old days.

Virtual Jenna  :rnr:

Reply #176 Posted: January 09, 2006, 03:30:16 pm
R.I.P Dirty Heathan

Affliction For life

Offline Valvanite

• ZUUUNE

• Valvanite has no influence.
go home stay home! used to love that game. it was the first in the series of sneaking around like a spec op in my old school days,.

what about half life death match, or just original half life, does anyone still play that anymore? or am i the only one, its my fav of all time, was the first fps i played ever, and i still play it and own most maps i play in the aussie server list, cause nz only has one, and it had bots on it,

but so fast and simple., gives a rest from all the hard out games these days, good to get back to low tech,

and besides that, computers that were made 12 years ago, wil;l still play it fine!

Reply #177 Posted: February 07, 2006, 01:27:36 pm

Offline GhostOfGallipoli

• GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...
i just started playing tiberium sun again....and i see EA is releasing all the Command and conquer games in one pack for 80 bucks

thats all the full games AND the expansions

Reply #178 Posted: February 07, 2006, 01:38:00 pm

Offline qwerty4u

• Just settled in
  • qwerty4u has no influence.
For action which is based on TOTAL skill, INTENSE fun and EXTREME BRAGGING RIGHTS for the winner:

Street Fighter 2: Turbo

Ken vs Ryu, ultimate showdown EVER (although my money is on Ken, especially becuase im always Ken :S )

Best game just for design and simplicity, probably chess or Reversi (Or Othello, as my version of the boardgame is called)

Best PC game... I dunno. Freelancer, for multiplayer. I owe a tiny, TINY part of my life to Freelancer. Yes it really was that fun and involving.

Reply #179 Posted: February 11, 2006, 11:20:25 pm

Offline Darktooth

• I Posted!
  • Darktooth has no influence.
Redline Gang Warefare 2006 it's a quake 3 arena daytona usa cross lotsa fun. ;)

Reply #180 Posted: March 01, 2006, 07:41:19 pm

Brush Your Teeth :piss:

Offline xtp

• Just settled in
  • xtp has no influence.
Get offa mah land!

Reply #181 Posted: March 01, 2006, 08:05:31 pm
"We need to get bigger guns. BIG F***** GUNS!" - Dick Durkin

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: GhostOfGallipol
i just started playing tiberium sun again....and i see EA is releasing all the Command and conquer games in one pack for 80 bucks

I've read some very dodgy reviews about this. Bugs causing problems. Apparently all the games run ok on XP, but the Soviet FMV's do not play between missions on Red Alert and the internet multiplayer doesn't work.

Just do what I did, buy multiple copies. ATM I have three copies of RA1. So good.

Reply #182 Posted: March 01, 2006, 08:20:29 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Baldesto

• Addicted
  • Baldesto barely matters.Baldesto barely matters.
command and conquer for sure , i concur ghost.

Reply #183 Posted: March 01, 2006, 08:20:39 pm

Offline foOL

• Just settled in
  • foOL has no influence.
Quote from: Slapper
My favourite game of all time has to be FF7

^^ im gna have to go with slapper on that one aye, i freakin loved ff7, played it for a gud couple of hundred hours and was choked when aires died :sad2: The rest of the FF series rocked also!

Reply #184 Posted: March 01, 2006, 11:46:33 pm

Offline GhostOfGallipoli

• GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...
Quote from: Arnifix
I've read some very dodgy reviews about this. Bugs causing problems. Apparently all the games run ok on XP, but the Soviet FMV's do not play between missions on Red Alert and the internet multiplayer doesn't work.

Just do what I did, buy multiple copies. ATM I have three copies of RA1. So good.

yeah you're right...all and all a very poorly put together pack (try this; you have to enter all 12 CD keys!)

but the is a work a round for online play of the early games...i'll see if i can dig it up

Reply #185 Posted: March 02, 2006, 11:49:06 am

Offline SmiLinSniPeR

• Addicted
  • SmiLinSniPeR has no influence.

Have you got Tiberian sun Firestorm expansion

Reply #186 Posted: March 02, 2006, 11:58:58 am

Offline GhostOfGallipoli

nope....when i bought tiberium sun the ex pack was discontinued

Reply #187 Posted: March 02, 2006, 12:11:01 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
What gets me is the fact that they're NOT releasing one of the C&C games. the did an "online" game called Sole Survivor, based on the original C&C, and I've been wanting to play it for ages. But they didn't bundle it, probably because it didn't sell well. Fucking EA! I WANT WESTWOOD BACK!

Reply #188 Posted: March 02, 2006, 12:19:16 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline GhostOfGallipoli

Quote from: Arnifix
What gets me is the fact that they're NOT releasing one of the C&C games. the did an "online" game called Sole Survivor, based on the original C&C, and I've been wanting to play it for ages. But they didn't bundle it, probably because it didn't sell well. Fucking EA! I WANT WESTWOOD BACK!

soul survivor was terrible...it wasn't so much that it didn't sell well....it's that it was HATED by the community

any way....as far as the first decade pack goes...i found the forum on this site;

http://www.planetcnc.com/

to be really helpful, telling me what bugs there were and work a rounds for them.

i have held off on buying the pack because of it

Reply #189 Posted: March 02, 2006, 12:23:16 pm

Offline GhostOfGallipoli

one unhappy gamer

One thing I want to friendly remind EA is that I paid good money for a 'good' game. Whether or not you perceive this package to be 'good value' is irrelevant. You have created a product and are selling it a price you want to sell it for. If people buy it, they should get what is being advertised. Saying that it is 'good value' is not an excuse for selling a faulty or defective product. A product is not good value if it is broken.

Your argument that it is 'good value' is flawed anyway. The only game in the package which may be providing a significant income still is Generals. In reality, nobody is buying the old games anymore. They either already have them (C&C fans) or don't want them because they are so old (standard gamers). Look at old versions of other games, Grand Theft Auto for example. You can now download the original games for free.

To create this package, you haven't had to produce any new gaming content. You have simply had to compile and make compatible a compilation of existing games. All the time creating the package should have therefore been concentrated on getting this right. In my opinion, the number and seriousness of the bugs is above average for a debut game. This is a second release of existing games.

In reality, the price we have paid is the price of convenience. Through eBay, you can get most of these games for the same total price as paid for this compilation. I admit it is nice to have them all on one disc in one collection. However, why didn't EA take the time to get this right? Why can't EA accept they have made a mistake?

Please don't take this personally Apoc. Customer support and the developers have to take the flack for decisions made by the EA bosses. Apoc is just doing his job trying to console the disgruntled customers. However, I think there are things to be learnt from this.

Look at the Battlefield department of EA. I am a great fan of the Battlefield series and have played every game since release. There is no denying that bugs have been an issue with battlefield. However, the Battlefield team work hard to release patches that they are comfortable have fixed the issues. They also keep the community informed. Look at the Battlefield 2 website. There are frequent community updates letting people know what problems there are, what is being done about them and expected release dates. Now take a look at the C&C website. The news releases go from The First Decade being released, to a post on how to play the original C&C and RA online. Ok, so where is the update telling me there is a problem in the first place? Where is the update telling me what is being done about it? Where is the update telling me a patch is being worked on and what is being addressed? I find myself looking around fan forums for the latest inside information. Why aren't official updates posted for everyone to see to keep everyone updated? It is not half as bad there being problems if you know what is being done about them.

Anyway, I think I have said more than enough for now. EA, please release a patch to sort all of the problems and make this one of the best game compilations ever. Also, please keep the community updated regularly with your progress. If you can do these two things, I'm sure it would make a lot of people happy, including me.

Reply #190 Posted: March 02, 2006, 12:27:53 pm

Offline Arnifix

soul survivor was terrible...it wasn't so much that it didn't sell well....it's that it was HATED by the community

any way....as far as the first decade pack goes...i found the forum on this site;

http://www.planetcnc.com/

to be really helpful, telling me what bugs there were and work a rounds for them.

i have held off on buying the pack because of it

Perhaps, but I have never had a chance to play, or hate, it. And I want that chance. If you're going to round up a series, release a "First Decade" pack, then why NOT put in Sole Survivor.

I'm sure most gamers would be pissed if a Doom collectors ed pack was released and The Ultimate Doom was missed, or one of the other official expansions/spin offs. And before anybody opens their yap, I know that a doom collectors pack has been released, and I know it included The Ultimate Doom. So shut your traps already.

Reply #191 Posted: March 02, 2006, 04:43:57 pm

Offline SmiLinSniPeR

• Addicted
  • SmiLinSniPeR has no influence.
nope....when i bought tiberium sun the ex pack was discontinued

i got it... its pretty good pm if you would like more details etc .....

Reply #192 Posted: March 02, 2006, 04:46:52 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Darktooth
Redline Gang Warefare 2006 it's a quake 3 arena daytona usa cross lotsa fun. ;)

That sounds abit like Carmageddon!
Quote from: xtp
Get offa mah land!

That aint mah fingah neither!

Now take a look at the C&C website. The news releases go from The First Decade being released, to a post on how to play the original C&C and RA online. Ok, so where is the update telling me there is a problem in the first place? Where is the update telling me what is being done about it? Where is the update telling me a patch is being worked on and what is being addressed? I find myself looking around fan forums for the latest inside information. Why aren't official updates posted for everyone to see to keep everyone updated? It is not half as bad there being problems if you know what is being done about them.

Sounds an awful lot like VALVE

Reply #193 Posted: March 05, 2006, 09:13:27 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Black Heart;71783
on the other hand star craft is almost as old but is still played... who has played dune in the last 12 months?

I played Dune last year to celebrate its 20th Anniversary!

It took about eight hours, but I finished again. First time in.....10 years.

Also: The game Moonbase from 1990, aka "SimCity on the Moon", Planted its base on the Moon in 2013

I wonder what those 90's folk would do if they knew how the future turned out.
Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 10:31:31 pm by Tiwaking!

Reply #194 Posted: January 20, 2013, 10:09:01 pm

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
If you want to get a Dune II fix, you can now play it online:
http://play-dune.com/

Reply #195 Posted: January 21, 2013, 07:00:17 am

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: BeNZene;1515402
If you want to get a Dune II fix, you can now play it online:
http://play-dune.com/

Holy crap! It has music and everything!

Lets go Cyril. Its time to CLEAN HOUSE!

edit: Aww. No voices :( Also: If you right click the construction (normally cancels construction) it takes you back to the start menu.
Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 08:06:20 am by Tiwaking!

Reply #196 Posted: January 21, 2013, 07:52:36 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Dune 2, that was the shit. Made me fall in love with RTS.

Reply #197 Posted: January 21, 2013, 08:46:25 am

Offline oefox

• Devoted Member
  • oefox has no influence.
Used to love dune 2, atreides all the way, their freemen were/are the worst special attack but the sonic tanks are the best top tiered tank.

First comment in this thread but I personally think Super Mario Bros should be sitting near the top if we're talking console games as well, but if purely PC, then for the games that first captured me for their genre and runners up:

FPS: Duke nukem 3D, Doom
Strategy: Civilization 1, Nuclear War
RTS: Dune 2, C&C
RPG: TES Arena, Might and Magic 3-X, The Bards Tale (1/2)
Not sure what category: X-wing, Privateer

Reply #198 Posted: January 21, 2013, 09:49:41 am
- badfox

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Tiwaking!;1515404
edit: Aww. No voices :( Also: If you right click the construction (normally cancels construction) it takes you back to the start menu.

Ouch! Playing this game gives you Carpal Tunnel! After years of being spoiled by Dawn of War and StarCraft 2's excellent interfaces, this one has made my Actions Per Minute go through the roof.

Incidentally: I found a, um, 'evaluation' copy of Dune2000. It is in Spanish. Its frickin awesome.

OTT: We should all reevaluate our games into categories. Something like "First Favourite Game", which for me was:
Space Wars (NOT SpaceWar! which was way before my time)

Greatest Game Ever?
Mario Kart

Anyone can play it
Everyone loves it

Reply #199 Posted: January 21, 2013, 10:25:42 am