Topic: whats the best game ever

Offline DeLucas

• Just settled in
  • DeLucas has no influence.
Quote from: Verrt
Chess

I agree, 1400 years and still going strong :)

Reply #50 Posted: August 20, 2005, 08:23:28 pm
:)

Offline Twizzla

• Devoted Member
  • Twizzla has no influence.
Some favs:

Civilization 1, 2. Played the original to death as a kid.
Colonization. Hell, most Sid Meier games were classics. Still are! Pirates etc. Looking forward to Civ 4 this year!
Deus Ex. Damn awesome game. Sure it looks a bit dated graphically as it is about 5 years old... but the gameplay is phenominal!
Half-Life 1 & 2

Theres so many good games... Rome Total War has become a fav too.

Reply #51 Posted: August 21, 2005, 01:03:05 am

Offline -CowwieStyle-

• Addicted
  • -CowwieStyle- has no influence.
williams/midways defender

why because its got a certain magic to it, its one of these few early games that you really can get a feel for(in the zone kind of experience)

it imo was a ground breaker in that it reqired so many buttons but once you interfaced well with them it added to the experience.

Reply #52 Posted: August 21, 2005, 10:51:14 pm
[SIGPIC]323[/SIGPIC]

Offline MonkeyChow

• Just settled in
  • MonkeyChow has no influence.
As reported in major magazines, the best video game ever in history is:  MARIO (super).  And in second place is Pac Man...  With a world that's obsessed with the most highly advanced games on the market, they have a long way to compare with the greats of old.   :rnr:  :rnr:

Reply #53 Posted: August 22, 2005, 01:16:12 pm
http://forums.iconzarena.com/showthread.php?p=81348#post81348
[CFD]Zitadelle. Wing Major 2nd Class - Alpha Wing [Delta 4]
Omnibus mon tantum daemoni eorum insito confide
You have been warned...?

Offline Jack_L

• Addicted
  • Jack_L has no influence.
..[QUOTE = cowie] they used to rock in a 26" upright cabinet with stereo speakers[/QUOTE]

Reply #54 Posted: August 22, 2005, 01:17:05 pm
People who say that stats don\'t matter are 98% more likely to tell you that size isn\'t important.

Guess what...

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
Quote from: MonkeyChow
As reported in major magazines, the best video game ever in history is:  MARIO (super).  And in second place is Pac Man...  With a world that's obsessed with the most highly advanced games on the market, they have a long way to compare with the greats of old.   :rnr:  :rnr:

they must base that on sales or something mario was neither revolutionary (platform games are one of the oldest genres) and it didn't bring anything new to its genre either.
2 titles straight off the top of my head that are far superior, but of the same genre
ghosts and goblins (arcade & c64 & amiga?)
impossible mission (c64)

Reply #55 Posted: August 22, 2005, 02:13:11 pm

Offline Jack_L

• Addicted
  • Jack_L has no influence.
hey Cowie, what time did you play till last night? musta been late?

Reply #56 Posted: August 22, 2005, 04:02:05 pm
People who say that stats don\'t matter are 98% more likely to tell you that size isn\'t important.

Guess what...

Offline BigBoss

• Addicted
  • BigBoss has no influence.
I think the original age of empires was a great game, way ahead of its time.... im also a fan of command and conquer generals - zero hour.... hours and hours of fun, a new game which i think is f****ng awesome is Prince of persia warrior within, brilliant graphics, and so fun to play... and of course the cs's are all great :)

Reply #57 Posted: August 25, 2005, 11:23:37 am

BigBoss   -   SacrificialLamb   -   Snake™

Offline bloodyYOKEL-NZ

• Addicted
  • bloodyYOKEL-NZ has no influence.
ah age of empires 1, i remember getting that when it first came out. awesome originality

at least until i discovered warhammer (or was it warcraft) was the first map game. But it was still awesome getting a lan game going on it, i was fricken good at it too.

One game i think was made before its time is Descent. a 3D 360 made long before wingcommander. your flight was limited tho but its physics were very good for a game made in the 2D era

Reply #58 Posted: August 25, 2005, 03:53:27 pm

There is certanly more to life, most people dont appreciate what that is.

Offline BigBoss

• Addicted
  • BigBoss has no influence.
Yeah i remember descent it was pretty cool.... but compare warcraft to aoe... and its no contest graphics and gameplay wise, even warcraft 2, in my opinion has nothing on age of empires, i used to play aoe hardout back in the day of 56k before good online fps

Reply #59 Posted: August 25, 2005, 04:21:01 pm

BigBoss   -   SacrificialLamb   -   Snake™

Offline bloodyYOKEL-NZ

• Addicted
*stricken by more memories of the sumerian empire winning countless victories* those were the days

Reply #60 Posted: August 25, 2005, 04:44:10 pm

Offline -CowwieStyle-

• Addicted
  • -CowwieStyle- has no influence.
Quote from: Jack_L
hey Cowie, what time did you play till last night? musta been late?

yeah i have a little bf2 addiction problem at the moment, im slowly cutting down my hours, so i dont suffer withdrawal symptoms(i think ive got a handle on it now):rolleyes:

besides summers comming up can't waste that.

Reply #61 Posted: August 29, 2005, 01:53:49 pm
[SIGPIC]323[/SIGPIC]

Offline discoducknz

• Just settled in
  • discoducknz has no influence.
for me-ps2-final fantasy series best game,but sonic,ceash always good for a blast.

Reply #62 Posted: September 03, 2005, 06:14:27 pm

Offline APFSDU

• Just settled in
  • APFSDU has no influence.
Jagged alliance and later versions. Slower than everything out now, still just as addictive now as then. Recommend it to anyone into startegy and tactics.

Reply #63 Posted: September 04, 2005, 01:08:22 pm
Murphy. His Law Is Absolute.

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
Quote from: APFSDU
Jagged alliance and later versions. Slower than everything out now, still just as addictive now as then. Recommend it to anyone into startegy and tactics.

i hated that game! it would tell you youhave a 90% chance to hit then miss 4 out of 4 shots, and they would kill your character! AAARRRRGH just thinking about it ARRRGH.

Reply #64 Posted: September 05, 2005, 11:07:12 am

Offline pukeko

• Just settled in
  • pukeko has no influence.
Quote from: Black Heart
i hated that game! it would tell you youhave a 90% chance to hit then miss 4 out of 4 shots, and they would kill your character! AAARRRRGH just thinking about it ARRRGH.

You were probably hiring cheapo mercs who used to work at the post office! What's that guys name again...

That game was great fun at the time! Probably a bit zzz now though. Love firing mortars around  :D

An impossible game to play is Fallout! That's ARGH! I heard it's a classic and all, so I tried it out, didn't get very far  :(

Reply #65 Posted: September 05, 2005, 11:16:19 am

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
haha yea fallout, JA2 all the same engine / issues. my mercs were the most expensive peasants with the sharpest sticks & stones money could buy!

they all pale in comparison to laser squad.

Reply #66 Posted: September 05, 2005, 12:04:04 pm

Offline deamora

• Devoted Member
  • deamora has no influence.
:rnr:
Quote from: Black Heart
haha yea fallout, JA2 all the same engine / issues. my mercs were the most expensive peasants with the sharpest sticks & stones money could buy!

they all pale in comparison to laser squad.

Reply #67 Posted: September 05, 2005, 05:23:01 pm

Offline Clogmax

• I Posted!
  • Clogmax has no influence.
I would have previously said css was the best game ever but after buying world of warcraft last week i would now have to say that wow is definitely the best game I've ever played although css can't be beaten when you're playing with your mates.
My nights now consist of 5hrs WOW and 1hr CSS = =

Reply #68 Posted: September 10, 2005, 10:56:05 pm
P4 3.0Ghz @ 3.4Ghz
1024mb DDR 3200 RAM
Leadtek 6600GT 128mb
Logitech g5
Steelpad 4D

Clogmax

Offline mastercho

• Just settled in
  • mastercho has no influence.
id have to agree that ELITE is the best game ever, for those who aint played it im sure if you search hard enough you can get emulators and the game,

Duke 3d. Everquest. Commander Keen series.

some that others may not have played.

MonteZuma's Revenge - old atari game. brilliant also available on atari emulators if you wanna look hard enough. when i played it, had to load it from a tape drive. hehe. but when it was loaded was great fun.

Reply #69 Posted: September 11, 2005, 02:07:24 pm

Offline bloodyYOKEL-NZ

• Addicted
my old 386 has commander keen 1 to 5. i bet everyone has encountered at least one version in their life

Reply #70 Posted: September 11, 2005, 04:44:23 pm

Offline Caranmellon

• Addicted
  • Caranmellon has no influence.
If I am right I own Commander Keen 1 through 5, and Commander Keen 8 (However this one was no longer numbered)

Reply #71 Posted: September 11, 2005, 08:01:25 pm
Sinne fianna fáil atá faoi gheall ag Éirinn.

Offline mastercho

• Just settled in
  • mastercho has no influence.
ah how many are there. i only know about 1-6 which i have on my comp. although they maybe the freeware/shareware versions, demos in other words. would like to get hold of full versions if they are not. hehe. brilliant though. get bored, play paddle wars on the watch/menu.

Reply #72 Posted: September 12, 2005, 01:28:06 am

Offline DDM

• Addicted
  • DDM has no influence.
486 Style - ROTT (Rise of the Triad) FPS

There was one guy you could only kill with a pistol, i remember hiding somewhere that he couldnt hit me and sitting some coins on the shoot key so i could go and eat.

Sonic (I bought a ps2 version, same graphics and shit just with like .. 5 sonic originals on it)

FF 1 - X2 I have every game in the serious except 3. Tactics doesnt count.

Tetris, Chess, Pong, Frogger

Landstalker - Master system RPG with over 200 hours gameplay.

River Raid - Atari game, navigate your plane around brown blocks for as long as possible.

Loderunner - C64, You control a little man who has to outrun three bad guys, picking up 'treasure' before the escape ladder showed at the top of the level. (Im sure the original mario was much the same i.e a hack up of loderunner.) There we're 200 levels, varying in difficulty and design (Some weird ones made into words and other things like that)
After completion of the 200 levels you'd be back at the starting level but the bad guys would move twice as fast.

CS:S of course, it's all i really play now. Sometimes when i get bored of dying i play some MSN solitaire.

- DDM

Reply #73 Posted: September 12, 2005, 02:13:36 am

Offline Equity

• Addicted
  • Equity has no influence.
i rem as a kid watching my dad play civilization one, it was awesome when he finally let me have a go, that game has since stuck in my head...That and starwars tie fighter or xwing or something...cept i lost the manual and to play it u had to enter a code ><

Reply #74 Posted: September 12, 2005, 02:22:07 am
"think c2w might be a little to hard core for my skills atm anyways"-Splatter