Topic: The Official Formula 1 thread

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
You say tomatoe and i say tomato. Ultimately you know that if Massa or Raikkonnen had pulled the same move nothing would have been done about it. As it was, Massa should have been penalised in the last race for the pitlane breach, but the stewards got their payment from Ferrari, so turned a blind eye.

Reply #200 Posted: September 08, 2008, 04:00:17 pm
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Shasta

• Devoted Member
  • Shasta has no influence.
What a joke. I back Kimi, but not Ferrari. Very disappointing that he screwed up so close to an important victory for him. I don't usually watch the podium ceremony etc, so what a load of shit that the result I saw on TV was not the end result. There was no mention of an investigation by the time Hamilton got out of his car and I turned the TV off. The incident was a typical "overshoot the corner in a failed passing attempt and run off the road". As long as he immediately let Kimi back in front - which he did - there is no further action required. It happens ALL the time. Any penalty being given at all for that is a joke, and the result being changed after the race is a joke.

Reply #201 Posted: September 08, 2008, 04:47:34 pm
I\'ll try to be nicer, if you try to be smarter.

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: TofuEater;791084
You say tomatoe and i say tomato. Ultimately you know that if Massa or Raikkonnen had pulled the same move nothing would have been done about it. As it was, Massa should have been penalised in the last race for the pitlane breach, but the stewards got their payment from Ferrari, so turned a blind eye.

Haha.

The National party must be slinging you a few bucks.

Reply #202 Posted: September 08, 2008, 04:48:36 pm

Offline Quasikomodo

• Just settled in
  • Quasikomodo has no influence.
Well .... even though I am a "Tifosi" and despise Ron Dennis, and for that reason Maclaren, I have to say on this occasion that I feel the stewards got it wrong and Hamilton's win should have stood. And please don't agree with me  Tofu as I find your rabid anti-Ferrari shit stirring extremely unpleasant and entirely unwarranted!

Reply #203 Posted: September 08, 2008, 08:35:00 pm
a cpu, a motherboard, some ram, a gfx card, an optical drive (or 2), a hdd (or 4) and a psu... all in an aluminium case (oops, actually changed to a steel case now!!)

Offline Temp

• Addicted
  • Temp has no influence.
Have to say, screw watching it on Sky from now on, downloading it afterwards is a hell of a lot better, they actually make a proper show of it.

Spa is such an awesome shot and they finally had some camera shots that really do the steepness of Eau Rouge justice. Some really good coverage there.

Reply #204 Posted: September 08, 2008, 11:27:09 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
Quote from: Templar;791477
Have to say, screw watching it on Sky from now on, downloading it afterwards is a hell of a lot better, they actually make a proper show of it.

Spa is such an awesome shot and they finally had some camera shots that really do the steepness of Eau Rouge justice. Some really good coverage there.

Yea, I noticed that the coverage was awesome, some bloody good views!

Reply #205 Posted: September 09, 2008, 08:15:49 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Templar;791477

Does Eau Rouge define the difference in the skills required nowadays compared with days gone by?

A few years ago only the very talented [or very brave] drove through there flat out.

Listening to them last race, seems they all do now.

I'm sure there are other car control skills required instead, but that fine balance between success and disaster maybe isn't there anymore.

Reply #206 Posted: September 09, 2008, 10:33:27 pm

Offline Temp

• Addicted
  • Temp has no influence.
Yeah the cars arent the same as in the 90s and they all can run through their flat with little problems now.

Reply #207 Posted: September 09, 2008, 11:10:27 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

There's a front row you don't often see.

Very wet apparently.

.FORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO SANTANDER D'ITALIA 2008

Pos    No    Driver    Team    Q1   Q2   Q3    Laps

1    15    Sebastian Vettel    STR-Ferrari    1:35.464   1:35.837   1:37.555    28
2    23    Heikki Kovalainen    McLaren-Mercedes    1:35.214   1:35.843   1:37.631    24
3    10    Mark Webber    Red Bull-Renault    1:36.001   1:36.306   1:38.117    23
4    14    Sebastien Bourdais    STR-Ferrari    1:35.543   1:36.175   1:38.445    28
5    7    Nico Rosberg    Williams-Toyota    1:35.485   1:35.898   1:38.767    28
6    2    Felipe Massa    Ferrari    1:35.536   1:36.676   1:38.894    29
7    11    Jarno Trulli    Toyota    1:35.906   1:36.008   1:39.152    26
8    5    Fernando Alonso    Renault    1:36.297   1:36.518   1:39.751    28
9    12    Timo Glock    Toyota    1:35.737   1:36.525   1:39.787    28
10    3    Nick Heidfeld    BMW Sauber    1:35.709   1:36.626   1:39.906    26
11    4    Robert Kubica    BMW Sauber    1:35.553   1:36.697      21
12    21    Giancarlo Fisichella    Force India-Ferrari    1:36.280   1:36.698      19
13    9    David Coulthard    Red Bull-Renault    1:36.485   1:37.284      21
14    1    Kimi Räikkönen    Ferrari    1:35.965   1:37.522      21
15    22    Lewis Hamilton    McLaren-Mercedes    1:35.394   1:39.265      19
16    17    Rubens Barrichello    Honda    1:36.510         12
17    6    Nelsinho Piquet    Renault    1:36.630         13
18    8    Kazuki Nakajima    Williams-Toyota    1:36.653         13
19    16    Jenson Button    Honda    1:37.006         13
20    20    Adrian Sutil    Force India-Ferrari    1:37.417

Reply #208 Posted: September 14, 2008, 08:39:11 am

Offline Baffled

• Addicted
  • Baffled has no influence.
Should be a good race to watch, just hope hamilton doesnt crash out.

Reply #209 Posted: September 14, 2008, 09:11:09 am

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
I wander how long it will take the grid to get back to usual.

Reply #210 Posted: September 14, 2008, 08:55:20 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Interesting race so far.

Reply #211 Posted: September 15, 2008, 12:57:46 am

Offline Menial

• Addicted
  • Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.
Quote from: Spork;795298
I wander how long it will take the grid to get back to usual.

Just around the lounge?

Reply #212 Posted: September 15, 2008, 12:58:48 am

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Quote from: Menial;795482
Just around the lounge?

Sometimes I like to wander when I wonder.

Such a wonderful place that Rwanda is.

EDIT: GG Vettel! Fuckin awesome work! It really is awesome to see someone who appreciates the win, instead of just walking up to the podium and walking away with another win/ trophy, Vettel really did look as though he has appreciated his win.

He has a lot of formula 1 firsts.

Youngest driver to take part in an F1 race meeting, youngest to lead an F1 race, youngest to qualify on pole, youngest to win a race.

Reply #213 Posted: September 15, 2008, 12:59:53 am

Offline grass

• Just settled in
  • grass has no influence.
ye was a rather interesting race with so many slightly different stratagies in play
gg vettel though, totally deserved his win

Reply #214 Posted: September 15, 2008, 03:35:56 pm

Offline Quasikomodo

• Just settled in
Well, much as I like Lewis Hamilton and the breath of fresh air he has brought to F1 (pity he races for MacLaren though) I have to say move over young fella there is a new kid in town!!

Go Sebastian Vettel!!!:rnr::rnr:
Now will someone put him in a decent car?

Reply #215 Posted: September 16, 2008, 11:15:35 am
a cpu, a motherboard, some ram, a gfx card, an optical drive (or 2), a hdd (or 4) and a psu... all in an aluminium case (oops, actually changed to a steel case now!!)

Offline Quasikomodo

• Just settled in
Hoohah!!! Vettel gets Coulthards Red Bull car next year!!

The FIA is deliberating over Hamiltons Spa penalty .... it would be just and right if they reversed it!!
There ... I said it!! And me a Ferrari fan ,..... who would have thought!:eek:

Reply #216 Posted: September 23, 2008, 07:26:29 pm

Offline Shasta

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Quasikomodo;800854
Hoohah!!! Vettel gets Coulthards Red Bull car next year!!

Err... old news is old.

Quote from: Quasikomodo;800854
The FIA is deliberating over Hamiltons Spa penalty .... it would be just and right if they reversed it!!
There ... I said it!! And me a Ferrari fan ,..... who would have thought!:eek:

Yep, they should reverse it - but they wont. They'll decide the sport has lost enough credibility by changing the result after the race that it would be even worse to change it back 2 weeks later. I'd even go so far as to say they'll decide that the penalty they applied (it comes under a drivethrough - less than 3 laps from the end a drivethrough becomes 25 sec added to race time) is not able to be appealed. Yes they're hearing the case, but they haven't even decided if they're allowed to do anything about it. That way they don't have to back McLaren or go against them. They can just claim they're unable to intervene.

Reply #217 Posted: September 23, 2008, 10:44:10 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
If the appeal does go through does that mean Hamilton would receive the 10 points for the race? I must admit that'd be weird, if it was me, I would just want it to be accepted so I could have a clean(er) sheet.

Reply #218 Posted: September 24, 2008, 12:49:07 am

Offline Shasta

• Devoted Member
Aaaaaaaaaaand what did I tell ya:

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=44040

FIA rejects Spa appeal as inadmissible

Lewis Hamilton has failed in his bid to have his Belgian Grand Prix victory restored after the FIA judges declared that McLaren's appeal against his penalty was 'inadmissible'.

They avoided having to take sides - or avoided changing the result of a race for the second time after the race had ended - by declaring that the penalty was not allowed to be appealed.

Reply #219 Posted: September 24, 2008, 03:43:51 am

Offline TofuEater

Another key part of McLaren's argument had been that the team had checked with FIA race director Charlie Whiting to see if Hamilton had driven correctly, and been told that the move was 'okay' in Whiting's opinion – with the judges hearing the relevant radio conversation in court yesterday.

Reply #220 Posted: September 24, 2008, 05:25:44 am
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
maybe this thread should be shifted into the politics forum....

Reply #221 Posted: September 24, 2008, 09:03:30 am
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Offline TofuEater

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/article.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=10533869
And when senior figures tell you that it is better that the fans are arguing over "controversial rulings by the referees" rather than the majesty of the on-track action, you know that the sport is in dire danger not just of losing its soul, but its very raison d'etre.

Hardly surprising when you consider that there's a Nazi "whipping boy" running the whole thing.

Reply #222 Posted: September 25, 2008, 06:08:43 am

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
  • kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...
I still don't see the problem with what happened.He cut the corner to avoid an accident and then immediately gave up the position only to take him a few corners later.Was he penalized for not having enough patience?

Reply #223 Posted: September 25, 2008, 07:05:19 am

Offline Baffled

• Addicted
  • Baffled has no influence.
Quote from: kilabee;801601
I still don't see the problem with what happened.He cut the corner to avoid an accident and then immediately gave up the position only to take him a few corners later.Was he penalized for not having enough patience?

Theyre supposed to wait til after the corner after the incident... eg after the corner at the end of the straight.

But i think they really only clarified this after the race (which is why everyone was being so careful at monza in the last race)

However as has been said... the race director told him twice it was ok...

Reply #224 Posted: September 25, 2008, 07:10:50 am