Topic: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
Quote from: ChineseKiwi;989383

Eminem's lyrics are analysed in high school English for a reason. Fantastic lyricist in many ways. Fantastic storyteller, particularly The Marshall Mathers LP. Such a funny clever hard-hitting album with fantastic storytelling elements.

Like the lyrics for Kim.. ? yeah brilliant song :/
haha.. wtf ever dude, try listening to some metal from Sweden, Norway, Poland
10 fold better lyrics and the music is actually created by musicians .. not some f**kwit on a turntable

Reply #2000 Posted: September 25, 2009, 09:29:25 am

Offline iLurk

• Just settled in
  • iLurk has no influence.
Quote from: Eifersucht;989326
Are you serious? :sly: how can you say that but then go on to state that you don't listen to other genres.. pretty ignorant tbh
you also go on to prove your own point wrong

I can guarantee that other peoples favorite genre will always be better than everyone else favorite genre
Rap imo is absolute crap, n word this, n word that.. bitch this bitch that .. I grew up ina tough hood bro .. gonna pop a cap in your ass if you wear a blue hat cuz im bloods bro

For instance I listen to alot of Black Metal - in particular Norwegian Black Metal; which tells the stories of Norse/Viking Myth ..

with lyrics from songs such as this gem from Falkenbachs song 'Heathen Foray'

Epic as fuck story telling imo.. the entire album this song is from tells you the story of Thor, Odin and other Gods.. in this particular song it is Thor hence the hammer around his neck.. and it is the gathering before 'Ragnarok' the end of the world.

Yes, I am serious. And how do I prove my own point wrong? I never said I DONT listen to other music, I said I might not be listening to enough...You think rap is crap based on what's being mass marketed, so ummm yea. Anyone can tell you that the most popular things are not necessarily the best. So just because so-called "gangsta rap" is popular....

And as good as "Heathen Foray" is, it's just re-telling a story. Can you give me an example of a conceptual Norwegian Black Mental song? Not trying to be smart or anything, just curious.

Reply #2001 Posted: September 25, 2009, 09:40:47 am

Bastard Swordsman

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: iLurk;989139

Actually, I challenge you to (without going into any technicalities), pick any genre and give me some lyrically creative songs. I bet for every song you can show me, I can point you to 5 rap songs.

)

Beastie boys : License to Ill   ....oh wai...

Quote from: Eifersucht;989423
10 fold better lyrics and the music is actually created by musicians .. not some fuckwit on a turntable

Of course, that is subjective, but musicianship is a broad term and electronic music is just as 'valid' as 'instrumental' music, the instruments are different, but it's still music.

For example: at the moment I make music on a computer because it is the resource I have at hand at the moment. I don't have amps, microphones, electric guitars etc available to make my awesome music.
I started out classically-trained (Piano, clarinet) including theory and went on to Jazz (saxophone) and then a punk band (singing) and then a goth band (singing, songwriting... The Living End...1989 Dunedin, not those horrible Aussie imposters....name came from a David bowie lyric and a The Jesus and Mary Chain song) and onto low-fi failectronica under the moniker 'the series' which involved a fusion of casiotone keyboard, autoharp and computer beats, low-fi guitar and caterwauling, which brings us to today with GSus and the PTrain (I must upload some more)  and while I would love to be able to make 'instrumental' music and showcase my musicianship, AcidPro4 is enough for me at the moment to get lost in the pool of creative juices.

I'm a great believer in music for different moods and not restricting myself to one particular genre (I do have favourites) and that to understand music and musicianship and the power of lyric writing it is essential to be able to compare and contrast genres, sub-genres and even individual songs.

Here's my listen:

[video]AwzaifhSw2c[/video]

[video]fJY7BMzx7Iw[/video]

[video]zq7xyjU-jsU[/video]

Reply #2002 Posted: September 25, 2009, 10:35:23 am
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline ChineseKiwi

• Addicted
  • ChineseKiwi has no influence.
Like the lyrics for Kim.. ? yeah brilliant song :/
haha.. wtf ever dude, try listening to some metal from Sweden, Norway, Poland
10 fold better lyrics and the music is actually created by musicians .. not some fuckwit on a turntable

I like nitpicking as well. Sees 'Mosh', 'Sing For the Moment', 'Like Toy Soliders'....In fact tbh, the song Kim , like the whole Marshall Mathers LP, has great storytelling elements
Oh by the way, I do listen to Norsk / Scadanavian metal thanks [although tbh, I really should listen to more of it] so really you can't talk sh*t....

Anyway, you're only displaying your ignorance of the subject and fitting that 'teenage metalhead elitist' stereotype. Tbh, older metal fans tend to be cool and respect your taste of music and are great people (guys and gals) to hang out with.

A electronic music genius called Thomas Banghalter (of Daft Punk fame) has something to say about being a 'f*ckwit' on a turntable
Also tbh, turntablism is every much a separate sub-genre of hip-hop from rap.

Dilated Peoples - Worst Comes to Worst

In the link contains the lyrics. Learn to get the meaning of the lyrics. Also do I really have to post some Public Enemy to see these 'f*ckwits on a turntable' [which is wrong anyway as most rap is made in a studio with studio equipment] actually got talent in musical composition?
Not to mention if you actually investigate where hip-hop producers draw their samples from, you'll see the irony of hip-hop producers that appreciate all forms of music yet many are unappreciative what they create out of it.

I appreciate all music that sounds good to me and that I appreciate, regardless of genre, regardless of popularity.
It doesn't mean you have to but more I feel it's just silly to restrict yaself to one genre to 'fit in' when there is great music in all genres, much like how Grim describes.
 +1 to Grim for making sense.

Great history of electronic music (i.e. 'F*ckwits on a turntable'):

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

Reply #2003 Posted: September 25, 2009, 03:04:48 pm

Offline Paralyzed

• Just settled in
  • Paralyzed has no influence.
this is my fav song by the prodigy:bounce:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/v/MbDYjKaHswM&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00">http://www.youtube.com/v/MbDYjKaHswM&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505">

Reply #2004 Posted: September 25, 2009, 03:19:07 pm
The fact is 99% of humanity is made of very good people, but that only 1% is enough to spoil it, causing so much violence that we all pay the price having to defend ourselves. Going to war is one of the most noble things there are but it doesn\'t mean war is good neither stupid.

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
not some fuckwit on a turntable

That's a bit harsh dude, how is a turntable (as a musical instrument) any different from a piano or a flute?

[video]Y92Scr1i68U[/video]

Reply #2005 Posted: September 25, 2009, 03:22:30 pm

Codex

Fatboy Slim - The Rockafeller Skank
[video]hvnHtO6daQM&fmt=18[/video]

not some f**kwit on a turntable
That's a pretty harsh thing to say really, I, like rii, fail to see how it is different from any other instrument.

Reply #2006 Posted: September 25, 2009, 03:31:56 pm

Offline maorifulla

• Addicted
  • maorifulla has no influence.
im listening to some nice hip hop tunes at the moment

not that soulja boy or lil wayne kaka but 9th wonder

man i love this stuff, this track even gives NZ a mention, the video was made on a $2 budget

[video]4Z4IBq2PvAM[/video]

Been listening to some Dream Theater as well. I like them cause they just focus a little more on musicianship if thats a word. Other than this fuck ill kill my mother and I raped a cat hardcore metal shit LOL jokes i was just being an egg Eifer

But I do fuckin like Dream Theater

Reply #2007 Posted: September 25, 2009, 03:52:00 pm

Offline Scream

• Devoted Member
  • Scream has no influence.
"Like Light To Flies" by "Trivium"

Reply #2008 Posted: September 25, 2009, 04:43:33 pm
I have too many usernames.. look at my linked accounts haha.

Offline bobziolla

• Addicted
  • bobziolla has no influence.
8 Foot Sativa - 8 Foot Sativa

Reply #2009 Posted: September 25, 2009, 11:43:47 pm
One cool cat :orange:

Offline Paralyzed

• Just settled in
^ step up, step up, step up for Sativa :rnr:

Ilah (Silent War) - Bindspott

Reply #2010 Posted: September 26, 2009, 02:37:44 am
The fact is 99% of humanity is made of very good people, but that only 1% is enough to spoil it, causing so much violence that we all pay the price having to defend ourselves. Going to war is one of the most noble things there are but it doesn\'t mean war is good neither stupid.

Offline Aezra

• Devoted Member
  • Aezra has no influence.
Thrice - Child of Dust

Great band, they have some pretty diverse albums.

Reply #2011 Posted: September 26, 2009, 03:15:11 am

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
Quote from: Codex;989598

That's a pretty harsh thing to say really, I, like rii, fail to see how it is different from any other instrument.

Hows it harsh? and how am I different from "older metal heads" I hang with the same crowd I have for years mate and they aren't Teens .. most are 25+

and my view on music has and always will be the same on 'mainly electronic' music you can negrep me as much as you want for that (which someone already has) but thats my point of view

nothing you say about rap will change that and nothing I say will make you listen to more black/svart metal nor will it make you appreciate stuff from bands like .. Xasthur, Leviathan or even more so 'Hypothermia' and 'Taake' .. which also leads me to ask the question ChineseKiwi - what black metal have you been listening to?

with that.. I leave you this .. haha

[video]QjSPc72GgKw[/video]

FOOLS! I cast you all aside!
Your bullets harm me not
I am heresy, blazing hell
The embodiment ov all you fear
I am all which you can never be
A truth revealing hate machine
No longer will I tolerate
Lies from a kingdom built on dread
Yet what if naught exists above?
No shining glory and no god
You question not, blindly believe
Upon your ignorance I shall feast
Damn higher virtues, divine love
Your wooden idols and your law
Kneel before your god yet do not see
He doth feed you lies
Blinds you with fear
Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth
Your hearts I shall tear
With paws ov truth
With slashing jaws I rape
Your feeble womb
No god exists to save you from thy doom

You will never see the light!
Bound to always live by lies!

good song when you have a shitty day :rnr:

Reply #2012 Posted: September 26, 2009, 09:47:44 am

Offline R3DM@N

• Addicted
  • R3DM@N has no influence.
Chase and Status feat Plan B - Pieces

Mean song...

Reply #2013 Posted: September 26, 2009, 09:58:59 am

Offline Distorted

• Devoted Member
  • Distorted has no influence.
Kenny Loggins - Highway to the Danger Zone

[video]V8rZWw9HE7o[/video]

There's just something about F-14 Tomcats and Rock music that gives me a huge hardon

Reply #2014 Posted: September 26, 2009, 11:27:33 am
[23:46] <Hori> I\'d do gay for pay
[23:46] <Hori> if the pay was right

I think I would know where to sign on a sexual harrassment settlement, thank you[/CENTER]

Offline Paralyzed

• Just settled in
^Tom Cruise? lol jk.

The Call - Shihad :rnr:

Reply #2015 Posted: September 26, 2009, 03:37:40 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Vow of Silence: Throbbing Gristle

[video]_Npfsji16YQ[/video]

Part of the same stable that brought us Chris and Cosey and Psychic TV.

Reply #2016 Posted: September 27, 2009, 10:08:18 am

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
The Snow Leopard: Shearwater

[video]Cs_rmI1TtQE[/video]

Reply #2017 Posted: September 27, 2009, 02:00:39 pm

Offline Paralyzed

• Just settled in
Black nights of cydonia - Muse

Reply #2018 Posted: September 27, 2009, 04:50:41 pm

Offline nzkiwiwhiteboy

• Just settled in
  • nzkiwiwhiteboy has no influence.

Reply #2019 Posted: September 27, 2009, 05:55:29 pm
Death by tray it shall be.

Offline Scream

• Devoted Member
  • Scream has no influence.
Quote from: bobziolla;989860
8 Foot Sativa - 8 Foot Sativa

"Engine" by "8 Foot Sativa"

Reply #2020 Posted: September 28, 2009, 12:48:23 am
I have too many usernames.. look at my linked accounts haha.

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
[video]Z4KQnM5ogtw[/video]

Reply #2021 Posted: September 28, 2009, 03:42:23 am

Offline Paralyzed

• Just settled in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/v/Xsp3_a-PMTw&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00">http://www.youtube.com/v/Xsp3_a-PMTw&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505">

Reply #2022 Posted: September 28, 2009, 01:35:59 pm

Offline ChineseKiwi

• Addicted
lostprophets - Start Something

Just as a visual note:
 The lostprophets I'm listening to (1st 2 albums) :asian::rnr::bounce:
V
[size=10]>[/size]
<------ :disappoin:eek::sad:

Reply #2023 Posted: September 29, 2009, 02:12:23 am

Offline ChineseKiwi

• Addicted
Mae - Painless

Me <3 'The Everglow' album and band in general. Two of my fav. bands are touring together (Mae and Deas Vail) but I'm stuck here in NZ! IT'S NOT FAIR! :'(

[video]1OiJhfc-5WI[/video]

Reply #2024 Posted: September 29, 2009, 02:25:26 am