Poll

Do you help the axis of Game Piracy turn?

No, i hold a lot of respect for game developers.
16 (19.8%)
Occasionaly, just to trial it before i buy.
35 (43.2%)
Yes, but not very much. My cap doesn't allow it.
16 (19.8%)
Hell yeah, my entire catalogue is pirated.
14 (17.3%)

Total Members Voted: 337

Topic: Game Piracy.

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
I used to pirate a lot more than I do now (Arrr!)

main reasons I used to Pirate:

Game prices in NZ are overpriced:

remember I came from the UK - 20-30 pounds for a new release was all good, especially when earning UK pounds - but over here the prices are $100-$120 for a new release and earning NZD this is quite expensive

There are some games I had that only ever got played at LANs - paying full price for these when I only played them about once every 3 months - its little bit much.

Before steam Etc - I used to pirate simply because I was forever loosing CDs etc. so it was easier to pirate a game, crack it than buy it and have to mess around with the CD each time I wanted to play.

As for TV shows - all I am going to say is this:

I pay for MySky with some channel packages - I don't want to wait 6 months-over a year to watch a series that has been released in the US, even SOHO still has a delay in the screening in the US and the release over here. I don't want to wait and so if the powers that be won't give me an easy way to pay for content that I want without any delay then I will look elsewhere....

Reply #75 Posted: July 04, 2012, 08:09:32 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Xt1ncT;692770
Are you really comparing joy riding to borrowing a DVD?

Let's blow that one out of the water straight away.

Joy-riding = taking the car without the owner's permission = stealing.

Borrowing a DVD from a friend is with the owner's permission = borrowing.

Hullo Xt1ncT from 4 years ago.

Your friend only owns the physical media.

The content is always owned by the rights holder, thus borrowing it is borrowing it without the owners permission.

Now, back to the future I go.

Reply #76 Posted: July 04, 2012, 09:05:33 am

Offline Plasma

• Addicted
  • Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.
I can't remember the last game I pirated, cbf with it these days.

Reply #77 Posted: July 04, 2012, 09:22:17 am

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I pirated trade lanes in Empire: Total War.

Those French don't know what hit them.

Reply #78 Posted: July 04, 2012, 09:56:53 am

Offline Dr. Acula

• Just settled in
  • Dr. Acula barely matters.Dr. Acula barely matters.
Quote from: Tiwaking!;1492597
What the: That only happened yesterday!

Does someone in this forum have FutureSight or something?

Passing on a game you didnt like is a good idea. Not everyone liked Limbo and handing it to one of your goth friends as a present would be pretty cool.

I just so happened to be awake when PCG posted this, read through it, and thought it had to be a massive coincidence that I'd read Munchie's post and then this pops up haha =P

Reply #79 Posted: July 04, 2012, 01:49:55 pm
Dr. λculał

i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz | Corsair H100i Push/Pull | Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 | 8GB Patriot Viper Xtreme @ 2000MHz | 2x ASUS DirectCU II 7970 3GB @ 1000/1400 | 2x Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB Raid0 | 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB | Corsair AX1200W Gold | Raidmax Platinum

Offline Munchie

• Devoted Member
  • Munchie has no influence.
What a coincidence hah :D. I buy my games off CJS now, some of the games are crazy cheap!

Reply #80 Posted: July 04, 2012, 05:52:26 pm

Quote from: Munchie;1492592
I also wish Steam had a ‘pass on’ feature, so if you didn’t like a game, you could either:

• Pass it onto a friend for free or
  • Pass it onto a friend for a fee (not exceeding the original cost of the game)

I don't really see how this could make any sense. The developers (and steam) would end up getting less money then if your friend would just buy the game for the normal price, there's no advantage to them at all to offer this kind of feature.

A refund, or time trial feature would make more sense, and should be very possible for steam, where you can chose to get a 80% refund for your game within the first 10 days if you don't want it. People would be more willing to fork out cash if they knew they could get thier money back, and if it's a good game, people will end up keeping the game and developers might get even more sales.

You could maybe also have the option of being able to Gift the game within the first 10 days if you don't like it.

Reply #81 Posted: July 05, 2012, 09:31:01 am

Offline Munchie

• Devoted Member
What if the person wasn't going to buy the game anyway? Still no sale for Steam.

Reply #82 Posted: July 05, 2012, 12:32:29 pm

Quote from: Munchie;1492779
What if the person wasn't going to buy the game anyway? Still no sale for Steam.

If they weren't going to buy it, why should they get it for free?

Reply #83 Posted: July 05, 2012, 12:50:49 pm

Offline Plasma

• Addicted
  • Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.
After the initial launch of a game no one would buy a "new" copy, since there is no difference between new and old digital copy. It would be a stupid idea for Steam to implement, great for the users but it would fuck the industry.

Reply #84 Posted: July 05, 2012, 12:54:27 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Plasma;1492784
After the initial launch of a game no one would buy a "new" copy, since there is no difference between new and old digital copy. It would be a stupid idea for Steam to implement, great for the users but it would fuck the industry.

The 'Used Game Industry' has been and will forever be a thorn in the Gaming Industries (sp) side.
Extra Credits: On the resale of games
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/04/16/an-employee-believes-gamestops-used-game-racket-would-be-illegal-if-government-regulated/[/url]
An Employee Believes GameStop's Used Game Racket Would Be Illegal If Government-Regulated

Ask any videogame developer or publisher about the practice of used game sales and they’ll talk about how much it’s hurting the games industry. Asking them without a recorder rolling will likely get some very colorful language, to boot. But the sales of used games – which see 100 percent of profits going to the retailer and zero percent going back to the game creators – remains a huge issue for the continued healthy growth of the industry.

I am in two minds about the second hand game industry.

JB Hi Fi sell some second hand games for TEN DOLLARS. TEN. And not bad games either: Alpha Protocol was worth way more than ten dollars. The only problem with it was getting the damn thing to run because it is horribly bugged. Also: Final Fantasy 13 for $12?

Nah. Its not worth $12.

Reply #85 Posted: July 05, 2012, 02:35:04 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Final fantasy? Nothing final about 13 sequels

Reply #86 Posted: July 05, 2012, 05:00:12 pm

Offline Dr. Acula

• Just settled in
  • Dr. Acula barely matters.Dr. Acula barely matters.
Quote from: Emrico1;1492810
Final fantasy? Nothing final about 13 sequels

Reply #87 Posted: July 05, 2012, 05:09:09 pm
Dr. λculał

i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz | Corsair H100i Push/Pull | Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 | 8GB Patriot Viper Xtreme @ 2000MHz | 2x ASUS DirectCU II 7970 3GB @ 1000/1400 | 2x Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB Raid0 | 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB | Corsair AX1200W Gold | Raidmax Platinum

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
I'd like the current gaming industry to cease existing. So pirating sounds like my only option.

Reply #88 Posted: July 05, 2012, 07:25:46 pm

Offline Munchie

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1492782
If they weren't going to buy it, why should they get it for free?

Either free or a certain price can be established between parties/Steam. Or maybe a 24hour refund policy on Steam would be nice. OR how about a 24hour full trial on any game before you buy... mmmm XD
Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 01:30:15 am by Munchie

Reply #89 Posted: July 06, 2012, 01:25:51 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Munchie;1492898
Either free or a certain price can be established between parties/Steam. Or maybe a 24hour refund policy on Steam would be nice. OR how about a 24hour full trial on any game before you buy... mmmm XD

Because most no-lifers beat a game within 10hrs of its release.

Reply #90 Posted: July 06, 2012, 10:40:36 am

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
I don't see how giving away a full game for 24 hours would work, like steam games aren't pirated easily enough already.

Reply #91 Posted: July 06, 2012, 11:08:22 am

Quote from: Black Heart;1492921
I don't see how giving away a full game for 24 hours would work, like steam games aren't pirated easily enough already.

Why wouldn't it work? Steam would just need to remove the game from your account after the trial is finished. It would be the same process which prevents you from playing any steam game you don't own.

Reply #92 Posted: July 06, 2012, 11:26:22 am

Offline Munchie

• Devoted Member
Well they could make it any limit they want. 1hour - 24hours depending on the game.  Steam could just remove it from the library list or deactivate if you choose not to buy it.
I guess when the trial runs out a pop up could say:

Do you want to purchase

Yes        

No

I haven’t decided yet

Reply #93 Posted: July 06, 2012, 02:25:22 pm

Offline Scunner

• Addicted
  • Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...
A paid trial sounds like a good idea to me, to stop people blasting through the game quickly then not buying it. $10, maybe $15, for a few days access to some of the game, then the option to pay the rest of the full price to unlock the full game. If you don't like the game, then at least then you haven't wasted much money on it and the game makers/publishers get something back for their effort.

Reply #94 Posted: July 06, 2012, 03:23:27 pm

Offline PrinceTuiTeka

• Just settled in
  • PrinceTuiTeka has no influence.
Quote from: Munchie;1492947
Well they could make it any limit they want. 1hour - 24hours depending on the game.  Steam could just remove it from the library list or deactivate if you choose not to buy it.

Don't they do this all the time at the moment with free play weekends? No reason why it can't be extended to all games for 24 hours or something. I like this idea.

Reply #95 Posted: July 06, 2012, 03:24:49 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
So my favourite hackers gets all the games code delivered to him via steam, and he modifies it and releases it as a torrent. Yea great idea, please do this steam.

Reply #96 Posted: July 06, 2012, 03:57:37 pm

Offline PrinceTuiTeka

• Just settled in
  • PrinceTuiTeka has no influence.
I think you are missing the point that from time to time on selected games, steam does already do this.

Plus, what is the difference between dl it via steam then cracking it as opposed to using a torrent program. Pirates will pirate regardless.

Reply #97 Posted: July 06, 2012, 04:58:19 pm

Offline Munchie

• Devoted Member
Quote from: PrinceTuiTeka;1492960
Don't they do this all the time at the moment with free play weekends? No reason why it can't be extended to all games for 24 hours or something. I like this idea.

That is good idea :D

Reply #98 Posted: July 06, 2012, 05:45:27 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Edit poll
Add "Bacon" option
???
Profit

Reply #99 Posted: July 06, 2012, 06:14:59 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-