Topic: i love star wars!

Offline sacredpossum

• Devoted Member
  • sacredpossum has no influence.
Quote from: Verrt
Have you watched the first two of the new movies recently and on a TV sized screen?
they totaly suck, especialy the middle one
once it's off the big screen it looks like some crappy straight to TV movie made by the sci-fi channel

yes I have them on dvd

nothing wrong with them, ppl are way too harsh on some movies, once some ppl start to insult a movie it becomes a trend to do so

Reply #25 Posted: October 24, 2005, 03:25:52 am
Why? Shut up that\'s why.

Offline m3th

• Just settled in
  • m3th has no influence.
Quote from: sacredpossum
i don't know how anybody can say that george lucas is a crap director

he's fuckin awesome, totally innovative and really what makes a good director? there is no checklist here, if there were set guidelines anybody could be one, there are plenty of shit directors out there and lucas isn't one of them.

to me a good director tells a story and they tell it well, star wars has an awesome story and it is very entertaining.

Yes it's Lucas's story.

A director has a vison for the movie. It's played out in his head and he converts what he sees in his head into what we see on the screen. So most of the big desicions like editing, script and acting really all go through him.

The reason Lucas is a shit director is because his movies are not great cinema, they are tech demos. He's an incredible tecnical director, Industrial Light and Magic is his company. However there is a lot more to a movie that special effects (or graphics in a great game title).

The reason 99% of people say they like ROTS is because it tied up loose ends. It answered questions and put on the screen scenes we have wondered about since the series conception (remeber originality is what made Star Wars famous in the first place). Did it do it well thou?

Remember:
1) Robots bumping into each other and saying 'sorry'
2) the infamous Darth Vader 'NOOOOOOOO' scene
3) Grevious. Who the fuck was he?
4) the way Anakin and Obi Wan fought and fought for ages, doing incredible stuff and all of a sudden 'I have the higher ground'. what the fuck? a second ago we were jumping through the air like ninjas, swinging lightsabers like demons and all of a sudden the 'high ground' means you just don't go there.
5) The ease of which Anakin turned to the dark. Years of training, everything that makes Anakin powerful is due to the training from the Council. Palp said a few words and bang, Anakin is with him. Don't you think it would have taken a while? At least some serious event? Oh that's right. He had a dream. I think people who base actions of real life on dreams are called delusional.
6) Anakin wants to save Padme, so he strangles here. That's right, the reason he turned to the dark and basically did masses of crazy shit he suddenly decides isn't important and does the force choke on her.

I haven't seen it for a while, but I remember when I did this list went on forever.

It's just not compelling (for me). It just reeks of a silly, childish story with no real basis in anything and all the characters are painfully one dimensional.

Last night I saw 'Raging Bull' for the first time. It is truely one of the greatest movies I have ever seen. Im normally a cynical fuck, but this blew me away.

The reason I call Lucas a hack director? Go and hire 'Raging Bull', directed by Martin Scorsese and starring De Niro in a role that makes him really one of the greatest actors of all time. You'll see its like chalk and cheese.

Reply #26 Posted: October 24, 2005, 03:42:08 am

methuselah methusela m3thuselah methoozebah mahoozemah

Offline Princess Aura

• I Posted!
  • Princess Aura has no influence.
Quote from: sacredpossum
yes I have them on dvd

nothing wrong with them, ppl are way too harsh on some movies, once some ppl start to insult a movie it becomes a trend to do so

Some people are more easily satisfied than others.

Reply #27 Posted: October 24, 2005, 08:53:07 am

Offline Darkov

• Just settled in
  • Darkov has no influence.
Star Wars movies were only averege because the Empire didn't win.

Stormtroopers > Ewoks
Darth Vader > Skywalker
Empire > Republic

That really annoyed me, I remember seeing the movie and thinking how godly the Empire was with all it's huge battlecruisers and deathstars and legions of henchmen.

Then they get beaten by some two-bit rebels and....furry little critters who swing rocks at them....WTF!?

btw: The Imperial March is the best tune ever, it seriously rocks, the ultimate pwnage music.

Reply #28 Posted: October 24, 2005, 09:54:12 am

Offline sacredpossum

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Princess Aura
Some people are more easily satisfied than others.

and why should some ppl be so harsh? i'd like to see the fatsos that watch these movies and complain go and make an awesome movie and makes millions of dollars. movies are for entertainment, thats all.

i'm not easy to please, i just know the hardwork that is put into films because i'm a film maker myself, i look at movies in a different light to some people who are always ready to judge

Reply #29 Posted: October 24, 2005, 11:25:53 am

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: m3th

Remember:
1) Robots bumping into each other and saying 'sorry'
2) the infamous Darth Vader 'NOOOOOOOO' scene
3) Grevious. Who the fuck was he?
4) the way Anakin and Obi Wan fought and fought for ages, doing incredible stuff and all of a sudden 'I have the higher ground'. what the fuck? a second ago we were jumping through the air like ninjas, swinging lightsabers like demons and all of a sudden the 'high ground' means you just don't go there.
5) The ease of which Anakin turned to the dark. Years of training, everything that makes Anakin powerful is due to the training from the Council. Palp said a few words and bang, Anakin is with him. Don't you think it would have taken a while? At least some serious event? Oh that's right. He had a dream. I think people who base actions of real life on dreams are called delusional.
6) Anakin wants to save Padme, so he strangles here. That's right, the reason he turned to the dark and basically did masses of crazy shit he suddenly decides isn't important and does the force choke on her.

you just ruined the 3rd movie for ppl who havnt seen it

Reply #30 Posted: October 24, 2005, 01:39:47 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: KiLL3r
you just ruined the 3rd movie for ppl who havnt seen it

Who ever hasn't seen the 3rd movie is a loser anyway.

Reply #31 Posted: October 24, 2005, 03:24:27 pm

Offline m3th

• Just settled in
  • m3th has no influence.
heh.

DARTH VADER IS LUKE'S FATHER  :eek:

Reply #32 Posted: October 24, 2005, 04:17:36 pm

Offline m3th

• Just settled in
  • m3th has no influence.
Quote from: Darkov
Star Wars movies were only averege because the Empire didn't win.

Stormtroopers > Ewoks
Darth Vader > Skywalker
Empire > Republic

That really annoyed me, I remember seeing the movie and thinking how godly the Empire was with all it's huge battlecruisers and deathstars and legions of henchmen.

Then they get beaten by some two-bit rebels and....furry little critters who swing rocks at them....WTF!?

btw: The Imperial March is the best tune ever, it seriously rocks, the ultimate pwnage music.

hm, this is a good point and why ESB rocks the way it does.

Reply #33 Posted: October 24, 2005, 04:28:27 pm

Offline Darkov

• Just settled in
  • Darkov has no influence.
EMPIRE FTW

Reply #34 Posted: October 24, 2005, 09:16:15 pm

Offline Flash

• Just settled in
  • Flash has no influence.
Yo Star Whores!

Yes it's me Jar Jar!

Putting in a special guest appearence for Space Monkey and Possum!

What's up little buddies?

Reply #35 Posted: October 25, 2005, 05:45:43 pm

Offline bloodyYOKEL-NZ

• Addicted
  • bloodyYOKEL-NZ has no influence.
That picture reminds me...

I found a shootemup internet game featuring jar jar binks. Your objective: shoot every jar jar you see into a bloody mess. I forget where it is but its brilliant. I played it for ages and got the rank of jedi (never missed).

episodes 1 to 3 were kinda lame, no movie should leave me thinking how they could have done it better but i enjoyed them anyway. At least to me the action well compensated for plot, lucas is a shit director maybe but i credit his enginuity for fight scenes. has anyone seen the technical wizardry behind those battles?

Thats my view towards the films, since we all look at it differently i cant argue with anyone else for how they see it

Reply #36 Posted: October 25, 2005, 06:11:14 pm

There is certanly more to life, most people dont appreciate what that is.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: bloodyYOKEL-NZ

episodes 1 to 3 were kinda lame, no movie should leave me thinking how they could have done it better but i enjoyed them anyway.

Well you have high expectations, when I see a movie I always see better ways things could have been done, but that doesn't mean I don’t like the movie.

People nowadays have become too critical of movies, I hate it, every time a new movie comes out people always have something bad to say about it.

Reply #37 Posted: October 25, 2005, 07:57:20 pm

Offline m3th

• Just settled in
  • m3th has no influence.
although Maddox can be an incredible fag at times, SOMETIMES he sums up my views on a situation so clearly that I have to admit he is not a total fool.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=episode3

p.s. Don't read if someone insulting you over the Internet will make you run into the bathroom and slit your wrists while listening to grunge music and wearing a black leather trench coat.

Reply #38 Posted: October 26, 2005, 04:05:42 am

I can understand how people can not like a movie, what I don't understand is how someone can waste their time writing a whole page on how crap they think it is, whats the point of doing that. If someone doesn't like a movie, they should just get over it, not go on about it.

Reply #39 Posted: October 26, 2005, 10:12:20 am

Offline sacredpossum

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Space Monkey
I can understand how people can not like a movie, what I don't understand is how someone can waste their time writing a whole page on how crap they think it is, whats the point of doing that. If someone doesn't like a movie, they should just get over it, not go on about it.

totally, movies are not made to cater for everybody, you can't please every single person, there's always a person who likes to harass stuff, its just ashame some ppl listen to the trash that they say

Reply #40 Posted: October 26, 2005, 12:27:49 pm

Offline Verrt

• Addicted
  • Verrt has no influence.
Ha, I don't think anyone listens to Maddox

Reply #41 Posted: October 26, 2005, 12:49:10 pm

Offline Caveman

• Addicted
  • Caveman has no influence.
Lol shame on me I still haven't seen Episode 3. I definaltely like episode 4,5,6 better than 1 and 2 bar a few cool fight scenes

Reply #42 Posted: October 26, 2005, 01:03:12 pm

Offline bloodyYOKEL-NZ

• Addicted
Quote from: Space Monkey
Well you have high expectations, when I see a movie I always see better ways things could have been done, but that doesn't mean I don’t like the movie.

no i dont, i did like the movie, i simply felt it could have been done differently, I once watched dragonball Z episodes and old black and white sci-fi flops so i dont mind lame. The fact is that it was.

I sure dont listen to maddox, i thought the special effects were very well done.

Reply #43 Posted: October 26, 2005, 04:54:23 pm

Offline Flash

• Just settled in
  • Flash has no influence.
Eh Oh!

Reply #44 Posted: October 26, 2005, 10:28:26 pm

Offline Verrt

• Addicted
I think Tinky-Winky needs a shave

Reply #45 Posted: October 27, 2005, 01:14:49 am

Offline m3th

• Just settled in
  • m3th has no influence.
Quote from: bloodyYOKEL-NZ
I sure dont listen to maddox, i thought the special effects were very well done.

I think your missing his point there, mate. Maddox was saying it's not the special effects themselves that were the problem, it was the use of them. I agree, it was every scene. Lucas managed to overdo the effects to the point where seing a space ship was no longer something amazing. The lightsaber fights were so over the top that they became formulatic.

Maddox was saying Lucas managed to take the 'special' out of 'special effects'. If every scene has them they are no longer special.

Episode 5 (and even 4 and 6 to some extent) had SOLID dialouge sequences and character development outside of the blasters and space ship fights. It's this balance (along with character balance, plot balance and others) that makes episode 5 a great movie and episode 3 an (at best) average one.

You see, the problem with me and Star Wars is that I really loved it. Thought it was fantastic when I was a teenager and sent me on a grand journey of science fiction. However as I got older (and had read some of the great works) I started to realise that Star Wars in certain areas left much to be desired. That was the old movies.

Of course the new ones came out that were even worse and that was the end of my interest really.

I'm reading a great book at the moment. Called 'The Forever War' it's a great science ficition by  a guy called Haldemen. Last week I finished Hienlien's 'Starship Troopers'. Let me tell you, if you though the movie was shit the book certainly isn't. I'm trying to think of some more titles ive read this year but its late and I can't recall specifics at the moment. Anyway, I just feel once you've read some of these 'serious' and 'adult' science fiction works with proper character development, complicated and dark plots and awesome fictional technical detail the only Star Wars movie to even rate on the same scale is Empire Strikes Back.

Oo, I just remembered. 'Do Andriods Dream Of Electric Sheep' by Philip K Dick. The movie 'Bladerunner' is based on it (a great science fiction movie).

It's that 'dark' element that makes the movie seem serious, draws you in and makes you think 'hey, this isn't an american cliche, what the fuck is going to happen next?'.

The new Star Wars just didn't have this. The characters were never really in danger (it seemed), the shitty everyone happy ending was always just an hour away and the characters were so single minded, one dimensional that we could predict what they were going to do before they did it.

To try and illustrate what im talking about with 'depth' in a movie, try this.

Got a copy of 'Bladerunner' hanging around? Never seen it? (gasp)
Well get it, and watch it through. Then tell me:
'Is Deckard (Harrison Ford) a replicant himself?'

Reply #46 Posted: October 27, 2005, 03:31:20 am

Offline Xt1ncT

• Addicted
  • Xt1ncT has no influence.
I was never really a big fan of Bladerunner.

IMHO everyone just got on the critical bandwagon and says its so good etc. Although I do like the question m3th poses, and I think no-one will ever really know the answer to that one.

One of the best science fiction books (series actually) I've read is Frank Herbert's Dune. It has strong well thought out characters, and excellent plots and sub plots. The following Dune messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune are all great as well.

Reply #47 Posted: October 27, 2005, 03:10:28 pm

Offline bloodyYOKEL-NZ

• Addicted
we have the entire film series of dune. indeed If books turn out better than the film then i need to find out where the books are.

Reply #48 Posted: October 27, 2005, 05:09:25 pm

Offline Verrt

• Addicted
The first dune book was amazing totaly killer
the follow ups are examples of the worst writing Frank Herbert has ever done
I thought they were reaal average, and you know how bad average sci-fi can be

the first dune movie with sting was ok, not great but ok
but so far I don't think anyone has done the book justice as far as movies or a series are concerned

Reply #49 Posted: October 27, 2005, 05:34:05 pm