Topic: Cool photos you've taken

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.

Reply #1925 Posted: December 20, 2012, 01:01:47 am

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
Trip to Wellington for the games exhibition thing at te-papa?

Is it any good?

Reply #1926 Posted: December 20, 2012, 05:21:27 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
What chu doin' in my part of town son?

Reply #1927 Posted: December 20, 2012, 06:53:21 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
Up here for Xmas with the familiaz.

The first picture isn't from the Te Papa exhibition (although thanks for reminding me!) but instead it's from a steam-punk exhibition by a creative designer at Weta.

http://www.drgrordborts.com/dr-grordbort-s-infallible-aether-oscillators-where-science-meets-violence/

I only got a DSLR about 6 months ago, so haven't had the opportunity to take photos around Wellington before; and I must say, it fits my interest really well. Picked up a 50mm 1.8 today (first lens I've bought) so looking forward to getting out tomorrow and taking some candid street shots.

Here's some more from the other day, taken with a 18-55.
Spoiler :

Reply #1928 Posted: December 20, 2012, 09:24:45 pm

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
Awesome shots Hori! Nice work on the composition! - funny thing also, you and I both picked up DSLR's at a similar time AND just purchased nifty fifty 1.8's at the same time haha.

Reply #1929 Posted: December 21, 2012, 08:49:27 am

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Yo Hori, just noticing your senor or lens has spots?

http://www.iforce.co.nz/View.aspx?i=xhpwxq1j.mek.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

Reply #1930 Posted: December 21, 2012, 09:23:40 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
S3 takes decent panos.

Muriwai - S3 Pano 1 by mcctravels, on Flickr

Reply #1931 Posted: December 21, 2012, 09:30:24 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!

Reply #1932 Posted: December 21, 2012, 09:34:20 pm

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
Quote from: winter;1512363
Awesome shots Hori! Nice work on the composition! - funny thing also, you and I both picked up DSLR's at a similar time AND just purchased nifty fifty 1.8's at the same time haha.
Thanks bra.
It's a common nerd-progression from computers/gaming to photography - or at least it's one I've noticed in plenty of geeks I know.

I guess there's similar technical appeal, but the contrast is like; computers play to the introvert tendency and photography to the extravert. In the same way I'm happy to spend a wet-weekend playing around with clock-speeds, the camera motivates me to make the best use of a good day (or a even cloudy one). I have to say, I'm really glad I got into it as a hobby.

Quote from: swindle;1512424
Yo Hori, just noticing your senor or lens has spots?

Never noticed that - I'm guessing it's from the 18-55 (it took a fall once before I got a lens-hood).

Reply #1933 Posted: December 21, 2012, 09:48:02 pm

Offline deadmeatwalking

• Devoted Member
  • deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.
nah those are sensor dust spots bro ;) $60 is a good investment for a wet sensor cleaning kit :) ... works wonders :)

Reply #1934 Posted: December 22, 2012, 09:54:45 am

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
Cheers, will look into it - just have a air-blower thing at the moment which I am not very disciplined in using.

Here's one from yesterday in Cuba St mall - this kid could play a mean guitar;

Reply #1935 Posted: December 23, 2012, 09:32:41 pm

Offline deadmeatwalking

• Devoted Member
  • deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.
mean shot bro :)

yeah those dust blowers can cause as much harm as good ... camera sensors are dust magnets but youll really only see them when you push your fstop past f11 or so :)

Reply #1936 Posted: December 24, 2012, 02:51:46 pm

Offline krasher

• Addicted
  • krasher has no influence.
Sup fullas. Been a while. Love that black and white. The pano of Maori Bay is pretty cool too. Surf looks acceptable :D

A mate snapped this on his new nikon7000. I tweaked it a bit. What do ya think? (looks best full size - there is heaps of detail in it)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7645[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7644[/ATTACH]

Reply #1937 Posted: December 26, 2012, 11:05:13 pm
=]IRBS[=

i5 2500k|GTX560ti|GA-Z68X-UD3|8Gig DDR3 1600|24" LG 19x12|650W Corsair|64GB SSD Cache WD640

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
S3 pano in kaikoura today

danm thing wont rotate on iforce no matter how you have the file.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7650[/ATTACH]
Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 06:35:26 pm by Xsannz

Reply #1938 Posted: December 28, 2012, 06:29:27 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
S3 pano in kaikoura today

danm thing wont rotate on iforce no matter how you have the file.

http://www.iforce.co.nz/View.aspx?i=mwhilcgs.xbd.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7651[/ATTACH]

Reply #1939 Posted: December 28, 2012, 06:37:12 pm

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
Just a few from Christmas - bare in mind these were directly uploaded to facebook and not flickr (I don't have a pro account so have no uploads till Jan) so the quality is nowhere near as good as they actually are.. but you get the gist :)

Me holding my son wearing his cowboy bandanna bib that my girlfriend made him -

Picture of my cousin drawing -

My nan and her partner swimming, subtle HDR (single RAW file clarity in LR4) brought out the water quite nicely -

My uncle and my cousin, probably my favourite photo of the 250 odd I took over the course of the weekend, this photo in full size is fucking gorgeous if I don't say so myself -

View from the pool on a terribly overcast day -
Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 08:23:48 pm by winter

Reply #1940 Posted: December 28, 2012, 08:20:41 pm

Offline Demandred

• Game Server Admin
  • Demandred has no influence.
The moon tonight at Whanga
http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/9346/mg2837.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

Reply #1941 Posted: December 29, 2012, 09:42:00 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Taken yesterday from about 10 metres away.

Don't look nearly as good posted here as they do on my desk top?

Technical comment please.

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/6016/img0094le.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8439/img0114yq.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/4553/img0133xf.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 08:44:52 am by Zarkov

Reply #1942 Posted: December 30, 2012, 08:34:41 am

Offline winter

• Addicted
Quote from: Zarkov;1513007
Taken yesterday from about 10 metres away.

Don't look nearly as good posted here as they do on my desk top?

Technical comment please.

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/6016/img0094le.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8439/img0114yq.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/4553/img0133xf.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

Looks good man.

Do the photos look better before being hosted on imageshack? that could be downing the quality - facebook for example DESTROYS all quality in a high res image so that might be the problem.

The only thing I could say with my limited experience would be to bring back the exposure on some of the shots as they're in direct sunlight (spot metering in direct sunlight can have cool effects also - see the photo I took of my cousin drawing above for example) - do this by shooting in RAW so when you edit the photos in lightroom/etc you have complete control over the white balance and exposure etc.

The only other tips I'd have with the 600D would be to shoot in Manual/Aperture priority as much as possible, the other modes are pretty much useless. You'll quickly get the hang of it :)

Reply #1943 Posted: December 30, 2012, 09:27:11 am

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

They looked better before I hosted them.

Reply #1944 Posted: December 30, 2012, 09:39:27 am

Offline winter

• Addicted
Quote from: Zarkov;1513010
They looked better before I hosted them.

Yeah man, no doubt imageshack has reduced the image quality - flickr is good in terms of maintaining quality.

Reply #1945 Posted: December 30, 2012, 09:57:18 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Could use a little more water around some of them Z. Don't be afraid to take the pic with more area in it than you think you want, you can crop in PP to get your desired image.

Reply #1946 Posted: December 30, 2012, 12:20:36 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

I cropped them right down to get them that way.

But I see your point.

The photos are coming out great on my desk top, so I'm really pleased with the camera.

My lack of computer skills is working against me when it comes to posting them.

They seem to translate well as email attachments, why is that?

Reply #1947 Posted: December 30, 2012, 12:26:56 pm

Offline winter

• Addicted
Quote from: Zarkov;1513054
They seem to translate well as email attachments, why is that?

Files aren't being strangely reduced in file size and what not as opposed to when you upload em to imageshack - Give Flickr a go bud.

Reply #1948 Posted: December 30, 2012, 12:34:02 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
^^^ 500px, deviant art etc, they are a lot more forgiving on fucking your photos up.

Reply #1949 Posted: December 30, 2012, 01:01:18 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!