Topic: Cool photos you've taken

Offline Deviant

• Addicted
  • Deviant has no influence.
Quote from: AfroDizzzy;1053302
Tell them to get you a few lenses aswell... zomg they can be expensive!

how much do you get for your 21st lol? i got enough to maybe buy one mid range lens haha.

Quote from: Growler;1053329
Figure out what sort of photography you mainly want to do and then research the cameras, all of them excel at differnt things.

I was all set to blow money on a D90 then after alot more research found out a lesser value camera did a much better job at what i wanted to focus on.

there are ALOT of good cameras out there not made by canon and nikon that are just as good, if not better.

that aren't nikon or canon?

fill me in, please :P

Reply #325 Posted: January 20, 2010, 07:59:43 pm
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.4GHz | ASUS P5Q-EM | XFX 8800GT EXTREME | 2x2Gb G.Skill DDR2-1066MHz | Vista Premium x64 | Silverstone ST75F 750w Modular | Zalman Cooling | 1.32TB HDD | Samsung 226BW | LanBox Lite
| 13354 3Dmark06 |

Offline Deviant

• Addicted
Quote from: AfroDizzzy;1053302
Tell them to get you a few lenses aswell... zomg they can be expensive!

how much do you get for your 21st lol? i got enough to maybe buy one mid range lens haha.

Reply #326 Posted: January 20, 2010, 08:01:51 pm
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.4GHz | ASUS P5Q-EM | XFX 8800GT EXTREME | 2x2Gb G.Skill DDR2-1066MHz | Vista Premium x64 | Silverstone ST75F 750w Modular | Zalman Cooling | 1.32TB HDD | Samsung 226BW | LanBox Lite
| 13354 3Dmark06 |

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
pentax, fuji, samsung, sony, panasonic, lecia, all of those brands have some very sexy cameras, all that are great at certain things. Hence why I say if you plan to focus more in 1 style of photography, then figure out what will fufill your needs.

Im not saying nikon and canon are bad, far from it, but they are not the only choices when it comes to cameras.

Reply #327 Posted: January 20, 2010, 08:08:46 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Deviant

• Addicted
Quote from: Growler;1053342
pentax, fuji, samsung, sony, panasonic, lecia, all of those brands have some very sexy cameras, all that are great at certain things. Hence why I say if you plan to focus more in 1 style of photography, then figure out what will fufill your needs.

Im not saying nikon and canon are bad, far from it, but they are not the only choices when it comes to cameras.

they are if you are looking for a dSLR that will be good for years to come.

sony = for dslr, not a very good idea now days
pentax = some nice film cameras out there. not a lot of demand for their dSLR range.
fuji = maybe some good point and shoots
samsung = nice town cameras?
panasonic = " "
lecia = if you're a camera enthusiast maybe.

Reply #328 Posted: January 20, 2010, 08:27:42 pm
| 13354 3Dmark06 |

Offline Paralyzed

• Just settled in
  • Paralyzed has no influence.
Dad's pretty much set on one of these.... http://www.panasonic.co.nz/lumix/system-cameras/dmc-g1kgn-lumix.html
I think it look's pretty good I mean... really I'm not paying for it, and I couldn't afford to anyway haha.

Reply #329 Posted: January 20, 2010, 08:40:03 pm
The fact is 99% of humanity is made of very good people, but that only 1% is enough to spoil it, causing so much violence that we all pay the price having to defend ourselves. Going to war is one of the most noble things there are but it doesn\'t mean war is good neither stupid.

Offline Deviant

• Addicted
how much is he getting that for?

my Nikon D60 twin lens kit was cheaper than that (bong and bond price)

Reply #330 Posted: January 20, 2010, 08:43:18 pm
| 13354 3Dmark06 |

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
wow...... I don't know where to start, all of those brands, sans maybe fuji will be rounds for years to come in the SLR market... your very 1st statement about sony, sony make some of the best entry and mid level sensors on the market. They rate above canon and are on par with nikon and pentax. The pentax sensor in a $900nz body performs just as well as the sensor in the nikon d300.

I'm sorry Deviant, but either you haven't done any research and are just a fanyboy of Nikon, or you truly have little idea what you are talking about. Im not saying you don't take good pics ;)

My last 3 cameras were nikons (fuji S2 was nikon based) and I was just going to buy another nikon, cause nikon is nikon, they are good, hell there lenses are some of the best, but then my claim got slowed down so i thought wht not do some research into what I actually want. I'm pleased, im saving myself nearly $1300nz and getting one of the best lowlight highiso cameras on the market without having to go to a professional body. Leaves me money to buy a fast prime and some extra glass down the track.

ninja edit. That panasonic is a beautiful camera, that was very close to being my purchase, i dont think you would be dissapointed with it at all, the new m4/3 mount is starting to become a very popular thing.

Reply #331 Posted: January 20, 2010, 08:43:19 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
Quote from: Paralyzed;1053397
Dad's pretty much set on one of these.... http://www.panasonic.co.nz/lumix/system-cameras/dmc-g1kgn-lumix.html
I think it look's pretty good I mean... really I'm not paying for it, and I couldn't afford to anyway haha.

I only paid $100 (Australian) more than that for my Nikon D90...

Reply #332 Posted: January 20, 2010, 08:50:03 pm

Offline Growler

Quote from: Spork;1053425
I only paid $100 (Australian) more than that for my Nikon D90...

with 2 lenses? D90 is fucking expensive in NZ at the moment.

NIKON D90 DSLR AF-S 18-105mm KIT $2490 (can get cheaper if you buy grey market and have rtb warranty)

Reply #333 Posted: January 20, 2010, 08:57:36 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
Quote from: Growler;1053438
with 2 lenses? D90 is fucking expensive in NZ at the moment.

NIKON D90 DSLR AF-S 18-105mm KIT $2490

Just one lense actually, didn't see his was with 2??

The D90 you listed was the one I got, but it was on special, and had $200 cash back, I just wanted to but in on the conversation, which keeps this page photo-less...

Reply #334 Posted: January 20, 2010, 08:59:15 pm

Offline Deviant

• Addicted
yes, sony designed the sensors that nikon and canon have developed but the fact is nikon and canon saturate the market...no future if you go sony. I'm lazy and can't be bothered continuing lol.

Reply #335 Posted: January 20, 2010, 09:00:55 pm
| 13354 3Dmark06 |

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Just a few reasonably average photos I took at the bout of tennis that I participated in.

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/4662/dsc06874524970.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9816/dsc01484564608.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/7217/dsc0571s.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

Reply #336 Posted: January 20, 2010, 09:03:35 pm

Offline Growler

not a photo, but still a pic...... Sony has no future is DSLR at all.....Just a note, im not buying sony, didnt fit in with my needs/wants

Reply #337 Posted: January 20, 2010, 09:08:45 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Deviant

• Addicted
lots of parents shopping for fancy cameras at noel leemings i guess :P

Reply #338 Posted: January 20, 2010, 09:16:01 pm
| 13354 3Dmark06 |

Offline Growler

hahahah touche ;)

Reply #339 Posted: January 20, 2010, 09:19:13 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Paralyzed

• Just settled in
Quote from: Deviant;1053408
how much is he getting that for?

my Nikon D60 twin lens kit was cheaper than that (bong and bond price)

Still looking around at price's 1,398.00NZD is the lowest price we've found yet... price's that we could find for the D90 ranged from 1,795.00NZD to 2,699.99NZD

Quote from: G!mp;1053272
Tell them you want a Canon 1000D or a 500D (preferably a 500D).

We had a look at the 500D but as I have to pay anything over a thousand that I now know lol we were put off by the price :eek:, we checked out the 1000D but my dad still thinks I'm better off getting a Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1.... I'm not sure if he's correct or not but he understands some of the thing's I don't when it come's to camera specs.

Oh and a photo just to keep the thread in tact.

A rather odd cloud formation I awoke to on the 1st of jan 2009.

Reply #340 Posted: January 20, 2010, 09:45:12 pm
The fact is 99% of humanity is made of very good people, but that only 1% is enough to spoil it, causing so much violence that we all pay the price having to defend ourselves. Going to war is one of the most noble things there are but it doesn\'t mean war is good neither stupid.

Offline Growler

the panasonic is a new generation of slr, it's not a true slr as such, which in turn makes it a much smaller camera in your hands. And the whole package is like a bigger point-and-shoot compared to a dslr in size, but with the slr quality and control. I'ts about 20mm thinner compared to nikon d3000, pentax k-x etc, it may not sound like much, but going from 64mm thick (d3000) to 45mm on the G1, that's 30% thinner in the body alone.

It is a quality camera, and will take quality photos, it uses a fairly newish lense design (m4/3) but it is believed that alot of the others will go down this road anyway (lecia, samsung & olympus all have 4/3 lense). Also they sell a k-mount adapter, and the k-mount system has been round for a longlong time and there are a plethora of lenses available new and 2nd-hand on that system. K-mount is the pentax mount, they are a bit like nikon and have never changed since like 1970's, check trademe for pentax lenses new & 2nd hand.

The 1 downfall that it had that ruled it out for me was that the maximum exposure in bulb mode was 8 minutes, this may not be of concern for you. But this is why I said you need to look at all the brands and see what fits your needs.

What sort of photography are you wanting to do, anything in particular?

Reply #341 Posted: January 20, 2010, 10:21:54 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Paralyzed

• Just settled in
I like taking allot of photo's of landscapes, structures and wouldn't mind being able to do a bit of still life.... tbh I'm only really starting photography, I adore art spend allot of time sketching and painting, but when I find myself not in the mood to do that sort of art I find myself trying to take photos with my cell phone which I  very much enjoy, even if over half the photos don't turn out so great.

Is there a thread where I could move this conservation? I feel bad for irrelevantly posting in this one. :S

Reply #342 Posted: January 20, 2010, 10:42:21 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Quote from: Paralyzed;1053558
I like taking allot of photo's of landscapes, structures and wouldn't mind being able to do a bit of still life.... tbh I'm only really starting photography, I adore art spend allot of time sketching and painting, but when I find myself not in the mood to do that sort of art I find myself trying to take photos with my cell phone which I  very much enjoy, even if over half the photos don't turn out so great.

Is there a thread where I could move this conservation? I feel bad for irrelevantly posting in this one. :S

It's about photography, which is good enough.

I am very similar to you, except I can't draw to save myself.
I love taking photos, but not so many of mine turn out so well, but I guess that just means I have to take more, and play around with my camera more improve my photography skills.

Reply #343 Posted: January 20, 2010, 10:49:49 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Took this some time ago. Didn't like it at first but as my understanding of design has gotten stronger, I have come to like it.

Reply #344 Posted: January 20, 2010, 10:55:06 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
That's a good view you had there!

Reply #345 Posted: January 20, 2010, 10:59:04 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spork;1053576
That's a good view you had there!

Was my old office. Looked out over the lagoon.

Now I'm in another office across campus, hidden behind some shrubbery.

Reply #346 Posted: January 20, 2010, 11:03:29 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Here's a picture I took.

I first saw these geese when they were little chicks, almost like i've watched them grow up.

Reply #347 Posted: January 21, 2010, 09:01:51 am

Offline Virus.

• Devoted Member
  • Virus. has no influence.

Screw it another bee one. Go cry about it.

Reply #348 Posted: January 22, 2010, 07:51:04 pm

Offline Deviant

• Addicted
4 and 5 are cool, wrong focus point on the bee.

flowers don't do it for me anymore :P unless there is something spectacular about them.

Reply #349 Posted: January 23, 2010, 12:54:02 pm
| 13354 3Dmark06 |