Topic: Cool photos you've taken

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Yeah man.

No kidding. I feel ill.

Was mucking around with fire and tripod...

Just didn't focus very nice though...

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t12/swind1e/fireking0261024x768.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

More...

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t12/swind1e/fireking20041024x768.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

And my Noctura spinning at 700rpm (notice my SSD and HDD behind there)

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t12/swind1e/noctura0071024x768.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

And i managed to capture my Noctura standing still while on with a 1/200 and 5.6 and my flash on

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t12/swind1e/noctura20031024x768.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

Reply #550 Posted: April 04, 2010, 05:21:44 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
Bit dusty. :P

Reply #551 Posted: April 04, 2010, 06:31:05 pm

Offline prolax

• Administrator
  • prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...
If you call that dusty - wow, nothing compared to my case >.<

Reply #552 Posted: April 04, 2010, 06:52:59 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
Quote from: prolax;1095850
If you call that dusty - wow, nothing compared to my case >.<

I said a bit dusty, mine is also more dust than PC.

Reply #553 Posted: April 04, 2010, 07:17:48 pm

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted
  • bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.
Off camera flash with a lot of post processing, son with car

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/7713/jeffcressidasmall.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

Reply #554 Posted: April 06, 2010, 08:34:45 pm

Offline Deviant

• Addicted
  • Deviant has no influence.
very cool bill. make the background less dominant and ull have a winner, very cool.

Reply #555 Posted: April 07, 2010, 10:17:25 pm
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.4GHz | ASUS P5Q-EM | XFX 8800GT EXTREME | 2x2Gb G.Skill DDR2-1066MHz | Vista Premium x64 | Silverstone ST75F 750w Modular | Zalman Cooling | 1.32TB HDD | Samsung 226BW | LanBox Lite
| 13354 3Dmark06 |

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Really nice shot there dude :thumb:

Reply #556 Posted: April 07, 2010, 10:26:17 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
More macro stuff. Water drops, sprayed with a mister bottle so are incredibly small. Small sized jpgs.

Reply #557 Posted: April 08, 2010, 04:36:50 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline smegmacheese

• Devoted Member
  • smegmacheese has no influence.
Can people start putting in F stop, shutter speed, iso, and other stuff they think might be relevant?

Trying to improve own skills by leeching off other shots I like.

Reply #558 Posted: April 08, 2010, 04:45:20 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Im gonna try find a plugin/mod for the forums that will attach the exif data to it. A bit like Deviant art, flickr, DPR etc.

As for above pics, most were F5, ISO 1600, 1/125 Handheld

Reply #559 Posted: April 08, 2010, 04:51:33 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Paralyzed

• Just settled in
  • Paralyzed has no influence.
Took these ones about an hour and a half ago on Te Mata peak.
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Reply #560 Posted: April 08, 2010, 07:11:58 pm
The fact is 99% of humanity is made of very good people, but that only 1% is enough to spoil it, causing so much violence that we all pay the price having to defend ourselves. Going to war is one of the most noble things there are but it doesn\'t mean war is good neither stupid.

Offline smegmacheese

• Devoted Member
Nice finger of god effects there man.  Anyone sure how you could adjust it so the finger luminosity is more prominent?  I know there are luminosity options in photomatix, not entirely sure how to go about it though.  Tried capturing this kind of shot myself, but lightplay never does what you see justice.  

Possibly need to do it HDR?

Reply #561 Posted: April 08, 2010, 07:42:34 pm

Offline swindle

Yeah.

Need a tripod or some steady hands...

I used my knee if i dont have my pod with me...

Reply #562 Posted: April 08, 2010, 07:47:25 pm

Offline trololololo

• Just settled in
  • trololololo barely matters.trololololo barely matters.

1/200, f/5.6, iso 400 +1/3ev

Reply #563 Posted: April 08, 2010, 08:16:16 pm

Offline trololololo

• Just settled in
  • trololololo barely matters.trololololo barely matters.

Taken from godley heads several winters ago
it was pretty cold

Reply #564 Posted: April 08, 2010, 08:23:15 pm

Offline Growler

20 minute Star Trail over Brighton tonight, not the best conditions with clouds rolling in and hell windy, but the process worked.

Reply #565 Posted: April 08, 2010, 09:28:16 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline prolax

• Administrator
  • prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...
very nice dude - camera settings?

Reply #566 Posted: April 08, 2010, 09:34:46 pm

Offline swindle

Quote from: prolax;1097560
very nice dude - camera settings?

This ^

How do you do the trails like that? What glass are you using?

Some of mine tonight.

Had camera on tripod.
Using my 75-300mm lens.
AV - 4.0
TV - 30"
ISO - 1600
MF

Not sure why the main star i tried to focus on went so...like it did?

Night shots are hard :(

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t12/swind1e/starlight0181024x768.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t12/swind1e/starlight0211024x768.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t12/swind1e/starlight0191024x768.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t12/swind1e/starlight0201024x768.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t12/swind1e/starlight0221024x768.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

Reply #567 Posted: April 08, 2010, 09:42:35 pm

Offline AfroDizzzy

• Addicted
  • AfroDizzzy has no influence.
you need a release trigger or remote thing for night shots or the stars have a higher chance of going all spaz like they did there :P

I need a remote release for my DSLR ;/

Reply #568 Posted: April 08, 2010, 09:47:19 pm

Offline Foolio

• Just settled in
  • Foolio has no influence.
Tripod with bulb exposure, use f10+ and iso100 then do a half hour of the shutter being open.
or
As above but multiple short shots then stack them using a photo processing application.

Reply #569 Posted: April 08, 2010, 09:51:46 pm

Offline Growler

Star trails are sort of a cheats way of doing a really long exposure in bits.

I used my kit 18-105 lens at 18mm, f/4.8, ISO 500. Each shot is 30 seconds, with a 1 sec delay between, continuous shooting. The lucky thing I have is I can control my camera from the macbook I take out with me, so I do about 5 or so shots till i get the stars looking right, then I just hit go and walk away. Once I have my shot framed up how I want it, I can make all camera adjustments (WB, ISO, AP, Speed, metering, EV) on the laptop, and then just start the continuous shooting.

Yes a remote shutter relase for $20 would do the same thing, only difference is I have 100+GB and a bigger screen to look at.

Here is the 1st photo of the trail. Settings as mentioned above.

Reply #570 Posted: April 08, 2010, 09:56:41 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline swindle

Quote from: Foolio;1097568
Tripod with bulb exposure, use f10+ and iso100 then do a half hour of the shutter being open.
or
As above but multiple short shots then stack them using a photo processing application.

Should i be able to set the shutter open for half an hour, or is that camera specific?

Reply #571 Posted: April 08, 2010, 10:00:16 pm

Offline Growler

if you wind the shutter it will hit 30sec and then go to 'bulb' mode. If you have a remote release one hit opens the shutter, next closes it, so the 30 mins is timed by you.

The problem with digital and long photos is noise from the sensor heating up, hence why the stacking option is cleaner. You need to trun long exposure noise reduction off, if shooting in a area that has light pollution (city lights etc) shoot in tungsten white balance and it will get rid of the orange/red tinge.

If you just want nie sharp photos of stars, you need to shoot as fast as possible. 1 30 second exposure is a surprisingly large ammount of movement in a star.

Put your camera on the tripod, put it on timer mode, so that once you press the shutter button you can take your hands opff before it takes the pic so there will be no shake. Try lots of differnt settings, only way to learn is to try try try, got nothing to lose but space on your card and time!

Reply #572 Posted: April 08, 2010, 10:09:18 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline swindle

You sir, are correct!

But thanks for all the info man :thumb:

Much appreciated +1

Reply #573 Posted: April 08, 2010, 10:19:22 pm

Offline smegmacheese

• Devoted Member
How does the stacking work with the waves?  Not too sure from looking at your compilation shot Growler, but appears to be singular waves? Maybe I am just blind. Wouldn't there be a continuous layer of white water from the wave crests stacking?

I see the stacking effect in the clouds...got that tiered thing going on there.

Reply #574 Posted: April 08, 2010, 11:05:43 pm