Topic: Dwaf Fortress

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Anyone here played Dwarf Fortress?
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

At first I didn't think much of it, i didn't like the crappy graphics. However I downloaded it to give it a good, and installed a tile set to give it a better look.

I'm really enjoying it now, it's so addictive.

Basicly the game starts with you in control of 5 or six dwarfs, which or can order to mine tunnels and build workshops. Eventfully you mine out lots of rooms in the mountain and start buildings walls and defenses and get an industry going, like mining ore and smelting it into metal, then building stuff out of the metal like weapons and armour.

Eventually trading caravans will come to trade, where to can trade the stuff you've made for stuff you need. Also eventually golbins will attack for fort, which you will have to kill with traps or your dwarfs.

First time I played I couldn't figure out how to grow food, and all my dwarfs staved to death.

My second fortress was going well until goblins got past my defenses and killed half my dwarfs.

But the third ones coming along nicely.

Posted: April 16, 2009, 01:39:20 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;922190
At first I didn't think much of it, i didn't like the crappy graphics. However I downloaded it to give it a good, and installed a tile set to give it a better look.

I'm really enjoying it now, it's so addictive.

*has a look*
*points at Angband*
http://www.thangorodrim.net/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angband_(computer_game)

There is still the Telnet accessible original kingdom created Mangband which I used to play. People in it were very friendly but I moved onto Star Trek instead

Reply #1 Posted: April 16, 2009, 04:28:36 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
A dragon came to my fort, burning a path of destruction. My marksmen fired arrows on it from above, i lost a few, but killed the dragon in the end.

During the battle, a crazy brave axedwarf decided to take on the dragon face to face, he ended up running through my fortress on fire until he died a horrible death.

Unfortunately the butcher was friends with one of the soldiers who died, in his morning, he went on a rampage and killed another dwarf.

Then the executioner came and killed the butcher as punishment.

Lots of fun

Reply #2 Posted: April 17, 2009, 10:34:04 am

Offline rank666

• Just settled in
  • rank666 has no influence.
i had to get this game out again
i put it on my external drive and playing in class some times
still trying to learn some of the more basic things like food sources and making bags

Reply #3 Posted: April 18, 2009, 08:39:54 am
(1rankman bf2 nick name) *tards are hardcoded*
hate bf2v PR only
Woman Kicked Out of New Zealand For Being Too Fat

Butching kittens is a good source of food.

Reply #4 Posted: April 19, 2009, 09:09:32 am

Butchering kittens and puppies are a good source of food, and you can use their skin to make bags.

Reply #5 Posted: April 19, 2009, 09:17:57 am

Offline EXTREAM_FEVAR

• Just settled in
  • EXTREAM_FEVAR has no influence.
2cat huehuehueheuhuheuheuhe

Reply #6 Posted: April 19, 2009, 04:12:55 pm
Ballin

Offline Bobyoby

• Devoted Member
  • Bobyoby has no influence.
Looks good d/ing now, thanks

Reply #7 Posted: May 03, 2009, 10:55:03 pm

Offline zolteg

• Devoted Member
  • zolteg has no influence.
Quote from: rank666;923083
i had to get this game out again
i put it on my external drive and playing in class some times
still trying to learn some of the more basic things like food sources and making bags

I know.  If you're in class, why not try learning some real basic things, like writing, maths, science.  Y'know, things that allow you to earn money when you're older.

Reply #8 Posted: May 03, 2009, 11:10:08 pm

Dwarf Fortress covers all the basic things like writing, maths and science.

Like steel production.

Pig Iron + Coke + Dolomite = Steel

Reply #9 Posted: May 04, 2009, 10:30:46 am

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;930786
Dwarf Fortress covers all the basic things like writing, maths and science.

Like steel production.

Pig Iron + Coke + Dolomite = Steel

That doesnt make steel...that makes.....DOLOMITE!
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg154/clyde_smiff/Dolomite.jpg
Dwaf Fortress

Reply #10 Posted: May 04, 2009, 05:34:51 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
I downloaded it.

But I couldn't figure out how to even get started.

You had to be a rocket scientist just to play a bloody game in those days.

Reply #11 Posted: May 04, 2009, 06:24:46 pm

Offline HUGHJASS

• I Posted!
  • HUGHJASS has no influence.
bOBZILLAS FUTURE WIFE IF HE SHOULD BE SO LUCKY SEE GENERAL

Reply #12 Posted: May 04, 2009, 06:28:51 pm

I stopped playing it after the door to my fortress fucked up and wouldn't close, and the goblins just walked in and killed everyone.

Reply #13 Posted: May 04, 2009, 06:34:06 pm

Offline Alexo256

• Devoted Member
  • Alexo256 has no influence.
Quote from: BerG;931077
I downloaded it.

But I couldn't figure out how to even get started.

You had to be a rocket scientist just to play a bloody game in those days.

Reply #14 Posted: May 04, 2009, 07:10:21 pm

I've stating playing it again. Found a really cool starting location. I has everything, a river, trees, a bottomless pit and a magma pit.

I put the entrance to my fort in a rock cliff oping out onto the bottomless pit, my plan is to build a bridge across it, which should make an awesome entrance. And I can set up a trap so enemies to fall to their death if they try and cross.
Spoiler :
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/jarik/Iconz/df1.jpg
Dwaf Fortress

Also right next to the bottomless pit it a pit of lava. In intend to use this lava for all sort of wonderful things, like burning goblins to death.

However on of my dwarves got a bit to close and ended up burning to death. His bones are left there as a warning to others.
Spoiler :
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/jarik/Iconz/df2.jpg
Dwaf Fortress

Reply #15 Posted: September 09, 2009, 11:43:56 am

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Spacemonkey.

Playing games like this, so we don't have to.

Reply #16 Posted: September 09, 2009, 04:44:36 pm

Quote from: Zarkov;982442
Spacemonkey.

Playing games like this, so we don't have to.

You were pretty into xwars. You had the biggest fleet in all of ISSF

Reply #17 Posted: September 09, 2009, 05:21:28 pm

I've started playing again.

Concentrating on building my booze supply for epic dwarf parties of drunkenness.

Dwarfs like drinking, and not washing themselves.

Reply #18 Posted: January 17, 2011, 06:00:51 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
I see why you like it.

Reply #19 Posted: January 17, 2011, 08:55:27 pm

Offline kookynic

• Cooking by the Book

• kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...
Arnifix plays this heaps i think, might be worth a shot at only a 8.3 meg download

Reply #20 Posted: January 17, 2011, 08:57:54 pm

Offline kookynic

• Cooking by the Book

• kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...
hurts my eyes, must delete

Reply #21 Posted: January 17, 2011, 09:05:19 pm

Quote from: kookynic;1351270
hurts my eyes, must delete

Don't play with the original tileset, it's all ASCII characters, hurts my eyes too.

I play with this tileset, looks much nicer.

Can download it here (it's the game with the tileset pre-installed)
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2983

Reply #22 Posted: January 17, 2011, 09:25:57 pm

Is it just me or are picture attachments really tiny?

Reply #23 Posted: January 17, 2011, 09:28:20 pm

Offline Clin

• Addicted
  • Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!
While I absolutely understand and appreciate that games like this are incredibly fun and landmarks in gaming history, I just can't bring myself to do it. I can't turn my back on thirty years of gaming evolution.

Should I play a game that is truly addictive in its depth and quality of gameplay, that was revolutionary at one point in time? Nah, I'll play Mass Effect 2.

Graphics don't make the game of course, but there are plenty well rounded and compelling games with beautiful visuals. Why go without?

Reply #24 Posted: January 17, 2011, 09:42:49 pm

lol @ console hate