Topic: Football Thread (formally Soccer Thread)

Offline Baffled

• Addicted
  • Baffled has no influence.
NZ vs England final 2010!

Fuck yeah!

What a save, thought it was all over when they got a penalty! :eek: Did our goalie get man of the match?

Reply #250 Posted: November 14, 2009, 11:17:20 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
im gutted i missed it, hopefully i can aquire it. dam work

Reply #251 Posted: November 14, 2009, 11:22:44 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline camy205

• Addicted
  • camy205 barely matters.camy205 barely matters.
Yeah he got it, and bloody deserved it as well. Nelson was great as well
Last ten minutes Barain scored.. But it didn't count! What a relief!!

35,164 people there. Record for a football game.
First time we have made it since '82... I am so stoked!

Reply #252 Posted: November 14, 2009, 11:24:06 pm
Quote from: Craigorsarus;1484182
GetSome Thread - Generic Timeline:

- Actual Topic
 - Variation of Topic
 - Someone calls someone a retard
 - Fight
 - Actual Topic
 - Fight
 - Troll
 - Your Mum
 - You\'re*
 - TROLOLOLOLOLOLOL
 - What is this thread about?

Offline Chilli

• Addicted
  • Chilli has no influence.
Good game.
Belrain would do well in Hollywood with all the acting they were doing on pitch though

Reply #253 Posted: November 15, 2009, 12:43:05 am
♣ Free Tampons ♣

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Chilli the lime tortilla chip;1018191
Long hair and short-short trousers >_<

haha Aussie Rules

What's the Rugby Score? :rnr:

Reply #254 Posted: November 15, 2009, 04:54:33 am
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
great result, but bloody hell it was painful to watch.

The skill level was terrible, we will get our arses whipped in SA.

Still at least we get to go

Reply #255 Posted: November 15, 2009, 10:32:30 am

Offline R3DM@N

• Addicted
  • R3DM@N has no influence.
I was really impressed with the All Whites..they play the game. No Hollywood try-outs or anything just get up and go with it

Reply #256 Posted: November 15, 2009, 01:08:40 pm

Offline Chilli

• Addicted
Quote from: R3DM@N;1019556
the All Whites..they play the game. No Hollywood try-outs or anything just get up and go with it
Yep I enjoyed that bit as well. No nancy bs hollywood diving. The other guys though, thats a different story, they dived all over the place, should be a yellow card tbh. Its what puts me off watching football, but will watch to see how far the AW's go though. _b

Reply #257 Posted: November 15, 2009, 02:24:47 pm
♣ Free Tampons ♣

Offline Thetruereddevil

• Addicted
  • Thetruereddevil has no influence.
Quote from: Chilli the lime tortilla chip;1019579
Yep I enjoyed that bit as well. No nancy bs hollywood diving. The other guys though, thats a different story, they dived all over the place, should be a yellow card tbh. Its what puts me off watching football, but will watch to see how far the AW's go though. _b

Skill wise we may struggle, but we do have a few world class players in there, and our set pieces are always dangerous. Nelson is a rock at the back, and our strike force is looking dangerous, and creating chances, which has been a NZ weakness for a while. Will be hard as we will be seeded bottom of whatever pool we are in to get past pool play, but you never know, and the money and exposure is hopefully used for the boosting of NZ football right the way through

Reply #258 Posted: November 15, 2009, 04:33:48 pm

Offline Ard Choille

• Just settled in
  • Ard Choille has no influence.
Asian and South American Football is full of divers :(
Atleast UEFA has stamped alot of it out. Really needed a European Ref last night

You can see it in the Kiwi players who play in Europe. They get up and play on, not roll around on the ground.

Was funny when the Ref gave the first yellow card to the AW and the boorain player does a flip off the ground to get up.

Reply #259 Posted: November 15, 2009, 05:13:57 pm
As long as there are leaves in the forest,
and foam on the river,
McGregor\'s despite them, Shall flourish forever

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
I used to think the same about Aussie soccer players, around the time of the 2006 world cup.

Sure most of the Aussie team don't dive (hardly at all - everyone would dive if the opportunity was right) but since then I have really got into soccer, and Kewell, Cahill, Neil, and a few of the other Aussie players sure are 'real' soccer players, they know how to play the game, especially Cahill.

Although Tim Cahill is one of my favourite players, who should be playing in one of England's top four teams.

Anyways, back on topic, NZ are into the WC now, and even if they don't do extremely well in it, there will be a lot of money generated from the WC, and because the NT is in the cup, there will be a lot more kids getting into soccer, and that benefits the NZ soccer team in the long term, as we will start to see some good young talent coming out of the country.

Would be good to have a good soccer league in Aust/ Oceania. Would be good if the A-league was considered a big league. and NZ getting into the WC is only going to help that.

Reply #260 Posted: November 15, 2009, 05:42:41 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
God damn it, Robin Van Persie fucked up his leg in the Netherlands V Italy game, and is out for possibly the rest of the season.

Lameo, he is one of my favourite players.

Reply #261 Posted: November 16, 2009, 12:36:09 am

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Warning: Contains very dirty play

[video]eRWjzBC58dA[/video]

Reply #262 Posted: November 19, 2009, 03:37:13 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline Chilli

• Addicted
^ Lol thats awesome.

Reply #263 Posted: November 19, 2009, 04:00:13 pm
♣ Free Tampons ♣

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Lovely to see two (one ex) Arsenal players involved in such a beautiful goal.

It's only against the rules if you get caught.

--

On a more serious note, this once again shows why we definitely need video referees in soccer.

btw, I was not being serious about it being a beautiful goal, quite the opposite infact.

Reply #264 Posted: November 19, 2009, 04:08:33 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2736877/Le-Hand-of-God.html

Striker Kevin Doyle raged: "It is sickening. I am sure Henry did not expect to get away with it because it was so obvious.

"The linesman had the best view, apart from Shay Given.

"It is difficult. We are all gutted. You do not blame the player if he can get away with it. It's nearly a natural reaction."

Good reaction from one of the opposition players, and it is very true, I am sure Henry did not mean to handle the ball, and he surely expected to be caught.

Henry does not need to cheat to score and or set up goals.

Reply #265 Posted: November 19, 2009, 04:16:25 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
As an Irish soccer fan who was 10 when they made it into the Italia 90 World Cup for the first time (ever?), and reacted by painting my face every day for a month - I can even remember Ray Houghton scoring against Italy in the group stage, with a strike from damn near half way - I have to say, I'm pretty gutted.

Reply #266 Posted: November 19, 2009, 04:53:24 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Spork;1021927
I am sure Henry did not mean to handle the ball, and he surely expected to be caught.

Henry does not need to cheat to score and or set up goals.

It looked entirely intentional. He knew what he was doing. The man has no honour.
Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite my arse.

Anyone say" Maradona"?

Reply #267 Posted: November 19, 2009, 05:41:27 pm

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
  • kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...
No excuse for that.Just blatant cheating.Not good to see in any sport especially at that level with that much at stake.

Reply #268 Posted: November 19, 2009, 06:10:10 pm

Offline Chilli

• Addicted
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;1021986
It looked entirely intentional. He knew what he was doing. The man has no honour.
Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite my arse.

Bloody pissy cheating French bastards. They're as sneaky at football as they are at Rugby.

Wheres the officials call ffs, it was clearly deliberate!?  Ireland were duped. :sly:

Reply #269 Posted: November 19, 2009, 09:42:07 pm
♣ Free Tampons ♣

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Henry did apologise. Sometimes people do stupid things, it's human nature, he is a soccer player not a physician, he isn't the smartest person in the world. Of course he is going to do what is best for him at the time.

Or maybe it was a mistake, sure it looked to us like it was deliberate, and apparently he celebrated like he alone had won the WC for France. But you never know, it may well have been a mistake.

Reply #270 Posted: November 20, 2009, 12:22:46 am

Offline TuataraDude

• Devoted Member
  • TuataraDude has no influence.
I love it how they are referring to it as the "Hand of Frog" incident.

As much as I hate the incident, there is something about seeing France (and Portugal for that matter) at the world cup.

Having said that, The Netherlands are going to win anyway :rnr: , so it doesn't really matter who else is there (apart from New Zealand of course).

Reply #271 Posted: November 20, 2009, 08:09:42 am
Just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in.

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
that fact is he handled it twice, not just once (the second one the pushes the ball back towards his right ) - and sure he told hte ref - but at hte end of the game - not just after the goal was scored. its pretty poor sportsmanship for henry.

and does anyone know if hte linesman can offer advice to the referee like the touch judges in rugby can? if not then it is possible that that law needs to be changed.

Reply #272 Posted: November 20, 2009, 08:57:56 am
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
Quote from: Spork;1022174
Henry did apologise. Sometimes people do stupid things, it's human nature, he is a soccer player not a physician, he isn't the smartest person in the world. Of course he is going to do what is best for him at the time.

Or maybe it was a mistake, sure it looked to us like it was deliberate, and apparently he celebrated like he alone had won the WC for France. But you never know, it may well have been a mistake.

Ce sont des conneries.

Tu me fais chier. Un con, une conasse.

Stop apologising for him.

He cheated and knew what he had done (as he admitted after the game) so he is un morceau de merde; putain de merde!; and if you think it was accidental then vous avez le cervau d'un sandwich au fromage.

It was a despicable piece of play. He should have owned up at the time and now he will have to live with being branded a cheat.

Léche moi et fait moi jouir.
Mes couilles sur ton nez.

After reading your posts about this incident I am beginning to fear the Rob Muldoon was correct about New Zealanders who move to Oz raise the IQ of both countries.

Reply #273 Posted: November 20, 2009, 09:11:03 am

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
Apparently Tom Scott originally said it - Muldoon used it and became remembered for it.

Reply #274 Posted: November 20, 2009, 10:09:00 am
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.