Topic: Football Thread (formally Soccer Thread)

Offline maorifulla

• Addicted
  • maorifulla has no influence.
Quote from: Spork;1073879
I'm hoping for either a Liverpool win or a draw.

I really do hope Man City don't make the top 4 this year.

I agree

lets not cause disturbances in the matrix

Reply #550 Posted: February 21, 2010, 08:28:36 pm

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
  • kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...
Good work from the Phoenix.Pretty dull game I thought until penalties.

Reply #551 Posted: February 21, 2010, 08:29:22 pm

Offline R3DM@N

• Addicted
  • R3DM@N has no influence.
Man City are the goods this year though..Almighty Chelsea got em this weekend

Reply #552 Posted: February 23, 2010, 12:23:38 pm

Offline maorifulla

• Addicted
  • maorifulla has no influence.

3.00 - Thats how arsenal rolls LOL

Reply #553 Posted: February 23, 2010, 03:50:23 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
Quote from: R3DM@N;1074108
Man City are the goods this year though..Almighty Chelsea got em this weekend

Well their chances of doing anything are worse than arsenals! Bow that they are out of the FA cup due to what was another boring unskilled game from stoke except for a few of those lame as time wasting Rory delap long throws...

Reply #554 Posted: February 25, 2010, 02:32:23 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
Good to see a Chelsea loss though. As much as I hate them oh so much more than Chelscum, I'll be going for the dirty mancs this weekend. :-p

Reply #555 Posted: February 25, 2010, 02:33:57 pm

Offline R3DM@N

• Addicted
wasnt really a loss - its a tie and we go to Stanford next

Reply #556 Posted: February 26, 2010, 09:30:28 am

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
1-0 at home will see us through

Reply #557 Posted: February 26, 2010, 10:34:43 am

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Quote from: R3DM@N;1075587
wasnt really a loss - its a tie and we go to Stanford next

If you were to both score again at the bridge, then they would win though.

It was a loss. :P Much like Arsenal lost to Porto.

Reply #558 Posted: February 26, 2010, 03:28:02 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Nice work Man City, couldn't have done it much better.

Too bad about the late penalty, which definitely shouldn't have been, but oh well.

Both sides should have got a few more cards though!

Reply #559 Posted: February 28, 2010, 04:00:27 am

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Oh man.

That was a shocker of a tackle, looked to me far worse than Eduardo's.

Shawcross against Aaron Ramsey, don't believe it was at all meant to be aggressive, however I believe Ramsey will be out for at least six months, judging by previous similar injuries, and probably more likely out for a year. Thank God he is young, and will recover eventually from this injury.

Shawcross - who was sent straight off, walked off the field crying! Most of the players on the field looked as if they had just emerged from a Harry Potter scene with deatheaters or what ever those things were called.

Very very very disgusting photos below. Well if you don't like leg breaks, do not open the link in the spoilers.

Good night/ Good morning everyone. I am tired as.

Reply #560 Posted: February 28, 2010, 08:47:09 am

Offline R3DM@N

• Addicted
Great game today.. Miss Peter Cech already tho, new goalkeeper is shit.

It was always going to be messy with the whole Bridge vs Terry saga.

Lampard is still the man

Reply #561 Posted: February 28, 2010, 08:49:40 am

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
Ouch!

4 goals

this is going to be a nice run to the finish

Reply #562 Posted: February 28, 2010, 08:52:19 am

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Quote from: R3DM@N;1076290
Great game today.. Miss Peter Cech already tho, new goalkeeper is shit.

It was always going to be messy with the whole Bridge vs Terry saga.

Lampard is still the man

First Chelsea game I've watched since you did us over, and boy was I glad that I did watch it.

Title race is well and truly up for the taking now.

Reply #563 Posted: February 28, 2010, 08:52:41 am

Offline R3DM@N

• Addicted
Either way im happy because it is great viewing and it should always be this close.

Arsenal win vs Stoke?

Reply #564 Posted: February 28, 2010, 09:16:41 am

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Quote from: Spork;1076289
Oh man.

That was a shocker of a tackle, looked to me far worse than Eduardo's.

Shawcross against Aaron Ramsey, don't believe it was at all meant to be aggressive, however I believe Ramsey will be out for at least six months, judging by previous similar injuries, and probably more likely out for a year. Thank God he is young, and will recover eventually from this injury.

Shawcross - who was sent straight off, walked off the field crying! Most of the players on the field looked as if they had just emerged from a Harry Potter scene with deatheaters or what ever those things were called.

Very very very disgusting photos below. Well if you don't like leg breaks, do not open the link in the spoilers.

Good night/ Good morning everyone. I am tired as.

Quote from: R3DM@N;1076295
Either way im happy because it is great viewing and it should always be this close.

Arsenal win vs Stoke?

Yea man, 3-1

AS I say in above quote, Shawcross was sent off for a horrible horrible tackle on Ramsey, possibly out for 18 months.

But we won, after going down to them in the 8th minute thanks to a bloody Delap throw in.

Equalized through an awesome header, then we got a penalty in the 89th minute, then there was 7 minutes of injury time (because of the Ramsey injury) and Vermaelan finished it off in the 94th I think.

The whole squad formed a huddle or what ever (group) in the middle of the field at the end of the game, made them look like one hell of a team.

Reply #565 Posted: February 28, 2010, 09:20:10 am

Offline Thetruereddevil

• Addicted
  • Thetruereddevil has no influence.
Quote from: Spork;1076297
Yea man, 3-1

AS I say in above quote, Shawcross was sent off for a horrible horrible tackle on Ramsey, possibly out for 18 months.

But we won, after going down to them in the 8th minute thanks to a bloody Delap throw in.

Equalized through an awesome header, then we got a penalty in the 89th minute, then there was 7 minutes of injury time (because of the Ramsey injury) and Vermaelan finished it off in the 94th I think.

The whole squad formed a huddle or what ever (group) in the middle of the field at the end of the game, made them look like one hell of a team.

You just hate to see injuries like that, regardless of team or allegiance, Ramseys only 19 too, hopefully he can come back

The tackle looked pretty late, like you say not intentional imo, just late, he looked pretty distraught about it all too, genuinely so.

Reply #566 Posted: February 28, 2010, 11:47:48 am

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
Quote from: Spork;1076292
Title race is well and truly up for the taking now.

It is. Arsenal have got their destiny in their own hands for the next month or so. The toughest match (on paper) is a trip to White Hart Lane to take on the Yids. Chelski have to travel to Old Trafford to play the scum and i can't see them winning that.

And i think they may get tripped up by Aston Villa as well, as they're not playing good enough football to be assured of victory at the moment.

As for the scum they have a reasonable run, with the home game against Chelski to give them some concerns. At this point they are probably favourites, but anything can happen in the run home.

Go Arsenal! :rnr:

Reply #567 Posted: February 28, 2010, 05:49:23 pm
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
  • kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...
Go the Yids.

Reply #568 Posted: February 28, 2010, 05:52:47 pm

Offline Thetruereddevil

• Addicted
and yet Man U still are there or there abouts....

should be an interesting few months

Chelsea v Man City, cant think of two teams i dislike more... however city winning helped us more, mr terrys wandering eye surely must be hindering things, naughty boy;)

Reply #569 Posted: February 28, 2010, 07:16:22 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Quote from: Thetruereddevil;1076330
You just hate to see injuries like that, regardless of team or allegiance, Ramseys only 19 too, hopefully he can come back

The tackle looked pretty late, like you say not intentional imo, just late, he looked pretty distraught about it all too, genuinely so.

Yep. Either way if he was taken out for six months, or only a one week bad, either way I am O.K with it, as he is crucial for Stoke, and I believe Stoke still play Chelsea and Man U, and well it is possible for them to take a draw. Possible.

However, intentional or not, clumsiness isn't an excuse. I like soccer because of the amount of skill, something Stoke lacks a lot of.

Quote from: TofuEater;1076454
It is. Arsenal have got their destiny in their own hands for the next month or so. The toughest match (on paper) is a trip to White Hart Lane to take on the Yids. Chelski have to travel to Old Trafford to play the scum and i can't see them winning that.

And i think they may get tripped up Aston Villa as well, as they're not playing good enough football to be assured of victory at the moment.

As for the scum they have a reasonable run, with the home game against Chelski to give them some concerns. At this point they are probably favourites, but anything can happen in the run home.

Go Arsenal! :rnr:

Didn't you place a bet on The Gunners to win? We could both end up with our pockets a bit heavier.

I really do hope that the difference between the top 3 is a maximum of 3 points after the last game, will be a terrific end to the season.

Reply #570 Posted: February 28, 2010, 10:36:17 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Not sure if Man U winning the CC is a good or bad thing, one way to look at it is Man U have won so much, that another trophy means nothing. Also, the way the O'neill has been acting and talking lately, I am happy that he didn't win it, as he would act as if he just won the Champs League.

But now Man U will have even more confidence, which is not a good thing.

Reply #571 Posted: March 01, 2010, 05:10:48 pm

Offline Thetruereddevil

• Addicted
Quote from: Spork;1076773
Not sure if Man U winning the CC is a good or bad thing, one way to look at it is Man U have won so much, that another trophy means nothing. Also, the way the O'neill has been acting and talking lately, I am happy that he didn't win it, as he would act as if he just won the Champs League.

But now Man U will have even more confidence, which is not a good thing.

I tend to look at it that way too, tho a lot of the bigger clubs rest players for the game, a trophy is a trophy, and its good to win. They wont be satisfied with just that tho, so should drive them on, hopefully anyway:)

and yes no thanks to o'neill

Reply #572 Posted: March 01, 2010, 06:54:08 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
I can't believe how the media have put this against Wenger, and saying that Ramsey's leg broke BEFORE Shawcross even made contact with him. Gah I wish the media weren't such idiots sometimes.

Reply #573 Posted: March 03, 2010, 06:20:19 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin

Reply #574 Posted: March 03, 2010, 07:06:15 pm