Topic: Cricket Thread

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Quote from: Chewie;1257911
I reckon we'll get into the semi finals at least, we have a good squad, especially with Jesse Ryder back.

NZ have a good squad, but so do SA aus ind. And SL and WI can upset you on your day. While pak play best when they are in the most disarray. I think it will be down to how well the middle order goes. I mean agianst SL, if it wasn't for the fact nz bats to 9, they wouldn't of won. I mean malinga should of got that run out. After missing that, he missed his yorker, and got hit for that four, which was what won it for nz.

Reply #275 Posted: May 02, 2010, 03:49:12 pm

Offline Chewie

• Just settled in
  • Chewie has no influence.
SA will choke, Pakistan will play terribly, Australia haven't got used to the format yet, and we did beat WI already.

I reckon the semi finalists will be two of SA/WI/Aus, India and NZ.

Reply #276 Posted: May 02, 2010, 04:11:02 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Quote from: Chewie;1257936
SA will choke, Pakistan will play terribly, Australia haven't got used to the format yet, and we did beat WI already.

I reckon the semi finalists will be two of SA/WI/Aus, India and NZ.
Already written off SL after 1 loss?, despite having jaywardene in better form than any of the nz batsmen, probably the best fast bowler in the tournament in malinga (since no gul or parnell), and the best spin bowler in the world. Probably as ridiculous as considering nz one of the contenders after 1 win.

I am picking aus, india + WI/SL/NZ/SA. Can't say sa will choke without playing a game. Aus have been the best for a reason. WI at home, could produce something special if gayle/pollard/chanderpaul click with the bat, SL i outlined before, and NZ just because of their deep batting line up, and good spinners on tracks which favour spin. And india have raina, vjay, dhoni, and gambhir, who are all in good from from the ipl.

Reply #277 Posted: May 02, 2010, 04:20:49 pm

Offline Chewie

• Just settled in
Well South Africa always seem to choke haha.

Assuming all the top teams get through, it'll be SA, NZ, Eng, and Pakistan in one group, and Aus, India, SL and WI in the other. Looking at that, I'd say we have a very good chance of making it through to the semis.

Reply #278 Posted: May 02, 2010, 05:23:20 pm

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
It's good to see that my reverse psychology won through.

Reply #279 Posted: May 06, 2010, 06:50:04 am
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Tofu covers his bases.

Everyone sees through it.

Reply #280 Posted: May 06, 2010, 04:40:04 pm

Offline TofuEater

Normal transmission has resumed.

Reply #281 Posted: May 07, 2010, 10:19:11 am
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Chewie

• Just settled in
South Africa are the best team in our group; we should be able to beat England and Pakistan I feel.

Reply #282 Posted: May 07, 2010, 12:53:45 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Quote from: TofuEater;1261175
Normal transmission has resumed.

:(

When i finally believe in them, they lose like usual.

Reply #283 Posted: May 07, 2010, 01:25:32 pm

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
Quote from: Chewie;1261240
South Africa are the best team in our group; we should be able to beat England and Pakistan I feel.

Didn't you say SA will choke?

Reply #284 Posted: May 07, 2010, 07:02:34 pm

Offline Chewie

• Just settled in
They'll choke in the semis :D

Reply #285 Posted: May 07, 2010, 07:37:26 pm

Offline TofuEater

NZ beat Pakistan by one run. Unfortunately i was asleep - it sounded like it was a bit of a nailbiter.

Reply #286 Posted: May 09, 2010, 05:10:04 am

Offline Goldo

• Goldo has no influence.
Quote from: TofuEater;1262198
NZ beat Pakistan by one run. Unfortunately i was asleep - it sounded like it was a bit of a nailbiter.

I watched the first 10 overs of our innings then stopped in disgust :-\

Reply #287 Posted: May 09, 2010, 05:26:11 am

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Quote from: Chewie;1261511
They'll choke in the semis :D

They already choked. You should of just stuck with your first claim. And yes NZ were terrible. Its only because pakistan are in such dissaray, that we won.

Reply #288 Posted: May 09, 2010, 09:41:08 am

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Quote from: toofast;1257918
NZ have a good squad, but so do SA aus ind. And SL and WI can upset you on your day. While pak play best when they are in the most disarray. I think it will be down to how well the middle order goes. I mean agianst SL, if it wasn't for the fact nz bats to 9, they wouldn't of won. I mean malinga should of got that run out. After missing that, he missed his yorker, and got hit for that four, which was what won it for nz.

Quote from: toofast;1262226
They already choked. You should of just stuck with your first claim. And yes NZ were terrible. Its only because pakistan are in such dissaray, that we won.

Hey hey, your stepping on tofu's turf right thar.

Reply #289 Posted: May 09, 2010, 01:34:11 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Quote from: mattnz;1262311
Quote from: toofast;1257918

Quote from: toofast;1262226

Hey hey, your stepping on tofu's turf right thar.

I would like to formally retract my first statement. Sorry for any problems caused by it.

Reply #290 Posted: May 09, 2010, 02:46:18 pm

Offline Chewie

• Just settled in
Must win game tonight/tomorrow morning. Pray for the best :)

Reply #291 Posted: May 10, 2010, 08:22:46 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
I can't see us winning it. England are looking pretty good. But then again, thats why t20 is so great, anybody can win, and it would be pretty sweet if we did, since the team has been on the rise since the days when we nearly lost to Bangladesh in the test.

On a side note, aus are looking very good. Tait, nannes, and johnson are unstoppable on the bouncy surface. Tho, subcontinent players aren't know for their batting on bouncy tracks, especially given how small most of them are.

Reply #292 Posted: May 10, 2010, 09:01:04 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Go Petersen.

I'm picking the poms to finally win one..

Reply #293 Posted: May 10, 2010, 09:29:51 pm

Offline Chewie

• Just settled in
Quote from: Zarkov;1262962
No Petersen.

I'm picking the poms to fall at the last fence.

I agree, without Pietersen the rest of their batting lineup doesn't look too threatening. Kieswetter's the only other one who's scored runs

Reply #294 Posted: May 10, 2010, 10:27:46 pm

Offline Stephens

• Addicted
  • Stephens has no influence.
NZ lose. Guts

Reply #295 Posted: May 11, 2010, 09:04:32 am
- For Teh Horde -

Offline BushySB

• Devoted Member
  • BushySB has no influence.
and i didnt even manage to watch a single game :(

Reply #296 Posted: May 11, 2010, 10:43:05 am

Offline MattaH

• Just settled in
  • MattaH has no influence.
The only constant in the Blackcaps is inconsistent bowlers.

Reply #297 Posted: May 11, 2010, 11:17:16 am

Offline Chewie

• Just settled in
^ I think you mean inconsistent batters. Vettori and Bond are consistent, Mills, Oram and McCullum normally are, and Southee is a bit iffy. Butler is inconsistent and shouldn't have been playing.

The batsman however are incredibly inconsistent. McCullum, Ryder, Guptill and Taylor haven't really had a string of good scores in a very long time.

Reply #298 Posted: May 11, 2010, 04:13:48 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Quote from: toofast;1262947
I can't see us winning it. England are looking pretty good.

:)

Tonights games will be good. I am hoping SL go through, or atleast WI. Hopefully SL bat with some sense, and realise they don't have to win.

On a side note, wow pak go through with 1 win against the top 8 teams.

Also butler is great. He won the pak game for us. Oram's medium pacers are no good. Better off letting styris bowl, and playing another batsmen in orams place. Batsmen so very inconsistent. Vettori is best run scorer in this tourny for us. Average of 32.5 (albeit with some not outs).

Reply #299 Posted: May 11, 2010, 04:28:44 pm