Topic: Cricket Thread

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Quote from: Zarkov;1336198
Quote from: toofast;1336179
Love to watch hussey find his form again. Always great to see people hit 100s when the pressure gets on them.

His job is to dig Australia out of the shit.

He's done it a fair few times.

I don't think he has ever done it, knowing failure might mean being dropped from the team.

Reply #400 Posted: November 27, 2010, 06:24:57 pm

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
  • kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...
Quote from: toofast;1335823
I have no idea why people thought the poms were good. Just because australia had a few bad games, doesn't suddenly make them a terrible team. Yet suddenly everyone says aus are the underdogs, and england the favourites.

301/1 second innings.Not good?

Reply #401 Posted: November 28, 2010, 07:27:39 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Quote from: kilabee;1336384
Quote from: toofast;1335823
I have no idea why people thought the poms were good. Just because australia had a few bad games, doesn't suddenly make them a terrible team. Yet suddenly everyone says aus are the underdogs, and england the favourites.

301/1 second innings.Not good?

WI put 500+ against SL just a week ago with just the loss of 3 wickets. Does that make them good?

If the poms were as highly rated as people suggested pre series, they wouldn't of been trailing by 200 odds after the first innings. Not saying australia are a killer team, but i would rated them better than the english team, especially at home.

PS. hussey and haddin put 307 on with the loss of no wicket.

Reply #402 Posted: November 28, 2010, 08:52:16 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
Australia ARE a killer team. :)

Reply #403 Posted: November 28, 2010, 08:57:15 pm

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
  • kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...
Quote from: toofast;1336397

WI put 500+ against SL just a week ago with just the loss of 3 wickets. Does that make them good?

If the poms were as highly rated as people suggested pre series, they wouldn't of been trailing by 200 odds after the first innings. Not saying australia are a killer team, but i would rated them better than the english team, especially at home.

PS. hussey and haddin put 307 on with the loss of no wicket.

WI 500+ against SL = Good Innings
Poms 200 behind =Bad Innings
Hussey + Haddin 307 = Good Partnership
Poms 309/1 second innings = Fucking good fight back

Credit where it is due.After all the chest beating and arse slapping after the first innings the aussie attack failed miserably today.

Reply #404 Posted: November 28, 2010, 09:22:17 pm

Offline M@lice

• Devoted Member
  • M@lice has no influence.
good fight back by Mills and Mccullum bl in the end think it was a good idea bringing Tuffey up the order he has shown before he has some skill but usually runs out of balls to do anything but slog with.

Reply #405 Posted: November 28, 2010, 11:30:33 pm

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
Quote from: M@lice;1336435
good fight back by Mills and Mccullum bl in the end think it was a good idea bringing Tuffey up the order he has shown before he has some skill but usually runs out of balls to do anything but slog with.

Bit embarrassing when your #7 has an average of under 10

Reply #406 Posted: November 29, 2010, 10:13:28 am

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
515\1  OUCH!

How are the Aussies going to take 20 wickets?
These figures make for sad reading

O   M   R   W   Econ      
BW Hilfenhaus   32   8   82   0   2.56   (3nb, 1w)   
PM Siddle       24   4   90   0   3.75   (3nb, 2w)   
MJ North       19   3   47   1   2.47      
MG Johnson     27   5   104   0   3.85   (1w)   
XJ Doherty     35   5   107   0   3.05      
SR Watson       15   2   66   0   4.40   (2w)

Mitch and doherty made century's. Out of form in the field as well with captain in waiting Puppy putting down a slip training catch and ponting dropping one as well.
Interesting the huge momentum change in this test.
Test match cricket _b

Reply #407 Posted: November 29, 2010, 05:20:24 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
The game will still be/is a draw. You rarely see both teams put up 500 odd, and see a result. Thats one of the more annoying things in modern cricket. You rarely see the sporting declaration, looking to push for a result. Though too be fair, the track is dead flat, so even if england set aussies a decent target, they probably couldn't of got all 10 wickets. Plus cook's double and trott's century were probably more important.

Reply #408 Posted: November 29, 2010, 07:48:30 pm

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
Shame that the trend in modern test matches is for the more Batter friendly wickets. Not sure what Adelaide will offer but if you are a bowler from either side you would hope for a little more assistance.

Reply #409 Posted: November 29, 2010, 07:54:41 pm

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
great to watch some quality cricket, bring on the next test

Reply #410 Posted: November 30, 2010, 08:48:44 am

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
India vs Safas coming up .1 vs 2 in the rankings should be a good watch.

Reply #411 Posted: November 30, 2010, 05:31:59 pm

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
hopefully sky will play it

Reply #412 Posted: November 30, 2010, 07:11:54 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
Quote from: kilabee;1336685
Shame that the trend in modern test matches is for the more Batter friendly wickets. Not sure what Adelaide will offer but if you are a bowler from either side you would hope for a little more assistance.

I should probably know, and I am problem wrong, but I think Adelaide does favour the bowlers...?

Reply #413 Posted: November 30, 2010, 08:25:48 pm

Offline MattaH

• Just settled in
  • MattaH has no influence.
Shame chucker johnson isn't good enough to get in the team for this test.

Reply #414 Posted: November 30, 2010, 09:12:28 pm

Offline Scunner

• Addicted
  • Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...
Quote from: Spork;1337049
Quote from: kilabee;1336685

I should probably know, and I am problem wrong, but I think Adelaide does favour the bowlers...?

I've always thought Adelaide has been a fairly flat pitch but slower than most other Aussies grounds, but we do get a lot of results rather than drawn games here. We do have a new grounds keeper this year.

Adelaide Oval curator Damian Hough will be doing his level best to provide a fair pitch - with result potential - after the drawn first Ashes Test in Brisbane.

Australia's hopes of regaining the Ashes will fade if their struggling attack is confronted by more docile pitches this summer.

Hough, who replaced long-time curator Les Burdett, hopes his inaugural Test pitch can provide a spectacle equalling the enthralling final-day finish of the 2007 Adelaide Ashes Test, which Australia won by six wickets.

"I'm really excited about this week," Hough said.

"Like all curators, I want to make sure I produce a good pitch for the players and for the cricket fans, and that we can get a result here."

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

There would be something for everyone in the strip for the second Test, starting on Friday, Hough said..

"It will be a traditional Adelaide Oval pitch," he said, noting that unseasonably cool weather has spiced the pitch in three first-class games this season, offering slightly more pace and carry than usual.

"My aim is to have a bit in it on day one for the quicks and then it should settle down for the batsmen on days two and three.

"By days four and five, we should see some of the natural characteristics of the pitch come through, which will probably see it crack and open up for the spinners."

"And we are getting some hotter weather towards the end of the game, so you would expect there to be some unpredictable bounce, that is for sure."

Hough said he had assumed the philosophy of Burdett.

"Every year we have been able to produce a sporting pitch," he said.

"There have been eight results in the last 10 years so I think the characteristics haven't changed."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/the-ashes/adelaide-oval-curator-damian-hough-promises-firm-fair-ashes-test-pitch-that-offers-chance-of-fireworks/story-e6frf3gl-1225963237544

Reply #415 Posted: December 01, 2010, 10:51:12 am

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
My mate was telling me this story of how he was hooking up with some extremely hot chick last year, and she lives in one hell of a house, then one day he mentioned her name and my other mate said 'That's Les Burdett's daughter'

That's my story for the day.

New Curator is probably a good thing, although I do wonder why Les moved on, he was famous for his work.

Reply #416 Posted: December 01, 2010, 11:20:51 am

Offline Scunner

• Addicted
  • Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...
I can't say I know why, but I think he might just have retired. Wikipedia is on my side here, for whatever that is worth.

Reply #417 Posted: December 01, 2010, 02:44:51 pm

Offline M@lice

• Devoted Member
  • M@lice has no influence.
last chance for hopkins tonight in the modern game a wicket keeper has to have a average of at least 30 plus imo, he gets out for 6 tonight and i am completly writing him off.

Where is Vincent gone? he can keep from memory and is handy as hell with the bat.

Reply #418 Posted: December 01, 2010, 05:05:16 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Quote from: Scunner;1337317
I can't say I know why, but I think he might just have retired. Wikipedia is on my side here, for whatever that is worth.

Bleh, these kids retiring at such young ages.

My dad retired early, and he has been driven mad by boredom.

Reply #419 Posted: December 01, 2010, 10:22:20 pm

Offline Goldo

• Goldo has no influence.
Quote from: M@lice;1337355
last chance for hopkins tonight in the modern game a wicket keeper has to have a average of at least 30 plus imo, he gets out for 6 tonight and i am completly writing him off.

Where is Vincent gone? he can keep from memory and is handy as hell with the bat.

Half our batsmen would be lucky to have an average of 30 :P

Reply #420 Posted: December 02, 2010, 09:35:21 pm

Offline MattaH

• Just settled in
  • MattaH has no influence.
Peter McGlashan and Kruger Van Wyk should be sitting next to there phones if Hopkins stays shit and McCullum broken.

Reply #421 Posted: December 03, 2010, 12:09:20 am

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
Awesome day of cricket.3/2 was unreal.

Reply #422 Posted: December 03, 2010, 11:14:26 pm

Offline Goldo

• Goldo has no influence.
Quote from: MattaH;1337790
Peter McGlashan and Kruger Van Wyk should be sitting next to there phones if Hopkins stays shit and McCullum broken.

McCullum doesn't want to keep anyway :|

Reply #423 Posted: December 04, 2010, 11:06:26 am

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Its quite worrying to think we have lost so much in the subcontinent, with a WC coming up next year there.

Reply #424 Posted: December 04, 2010, 11:47:42 am