Topic: Cricket Thread

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Duckworth-Lewis is a pretty cool guy?

Reply #225 Posted: March 07, 2010, 11:34:17 am
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline Goldo

• Goldo has no influence.
Even when Ryder is back (after the Australian series) it won't be long before he self destructs again.  He is a walking, talking, breathing fuck-up.

Reply #226 Posted: March 08, 2010, 03:21:07 am

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
  • kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...
I really couldn't give a shit what Ryder does in his spare time as long as the balls  crashing into the stands.He does need to sharpen up a little in the behaviour department if he wants to keep the IPL $$$$ rolling in though.
He should take a close look at the meal Andrew Symonds made of his career.

Reply #227 Posted: March 08, 2010, 07:04:15 am

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
He's shaping into NZ Cricket's Georgie Best

Reply #228 Posted: March 08, 2010, 11:00:48 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: mattnz;1079836
Duckworth-Lewis is a pretty cool guy?

yeah, the system staggers me...... I thought the logical answer would be, runrate x overs = total required.

but no, they have to factor in how many strippers are in the crowd, divided by the ugly chicks multiplied by the square root of the rain drops that have fallen since the umpire tickled his left testicle with the counter. They then have a sword fight with he stumps, and the winning umpire gets to pick a number out of a hat.

Reply #229 Posted: March 08, 2010, 11:23:52 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline varkk

• Just settled in
  • varkk has no influence.
Quote from: Growler;1080584
yeah, the system staggers me...... I thought the logical answer would be, runrate x overs = total required.

That system really does favour the team batting second. Duckworth-Lewis is the best method we currently have to predict the outcome of an interrupted match. It may seem overly complex but that is probably more due to the general public not understanding statistics and the media for not even trying to explain it.

On to more recent events, Michael Clarke, where the bloody hell are you?
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/3421166/Shock-as-Aussie-vice-captain-quits-NZ-cricket-tour

Reply #230 Posted: March 09, 2010, 01:29:32 pm

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Yeah, it's not really fear if we get the same amount of batsmen, but have to bat less overs. It's supposed to be calculated so that, based on history, we have the same chance of winning as we did before the interruption.

Still, 5 overs? Could they not have just kept everyone up an extra half hour and played the game properly. That's what they did back in my day.

Reply #231 Posted: March 09, 2010, 01:41:18 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline Spanners Watson

• I Posted!
  • Spanners Watson has no influence.
Quote from: mattnz;1081401
Yeah, it's not really fear if we get the same amount of batsmen, but have to bat less overs. It's supposed to be calculated so that, based on history, we have the same chance of winning as we did before the interruption.

Still, 5 overs? Could they not have just kept everyone up an extra half hour and played the game properly. That's what they did back in my day.

Yep, it's a shame they didn't extend the game time, the loss of a power-play overs was b/s too.

Sadly the D-L system will work against us in 9 out of 10 cases considering that the majority of our runs are made by our bottom order after we are 3-5 wickets down (which factor into the D-L equation).
Perhaps if our top order was more consistent we'd have had a much better chance? Also, I'd like to add that Franklin is also pure batting fail.

Hope Taylor pushes on for a hundred today! Go BCs! :rnr:

Reply #232 Posted: March 09, 2010, 03:53:17 pm

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
Quote from: runing;1077995
What a cruel mistress the NZ Cricket team is.

Just when I got my head around the fact they are shit, they make me believe in them again. I even was starting to think we might be competitive throughout the series.:

What was I thinking?  Of course they would fold like a cheap suit.

Maybe we should only play 20/20, at least we could then bat the full overs 9 out of 10 times

Reply #233 Posted: March 12, 2010, 08:49:16 am

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
BL2U Kiwis.

CH is mine again. =D

Reply #234 Posted: March 12, 2010, 11:51:48 am

Offline Scunner

• Addicted
  • Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...
I was going to post something like "Your cricketers know these are 50 over games, don't they?" but I thought I'd better wait until I heard the Aussies had won first otherwise I might look stupid.

Stupider, anyway.

Reply #235 Posted: March 12, 2010, 11:54:48 am

Offline Zenith

• Just settled in
  • Zenith has no influence.
Well done to the Black caps bowlers.  Oz 50 runs short all out.  While the series is lost -  3-2 makes it look better.

Again we should have had more runs on the board to start with.

Reply #236 Posted: March 13, 2010, 09:36:27 pm
 (Until I find a current one...)

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
  • kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...
That missed opportunity in the second game cost us the series.But I guess that's what makes the Aussie side it is ,taking those chances. Anyway comprehensive win tonight and good to see Southee pick up a few.He has been on the end of a bit of tap late in the series so it will do his confidence a world of good.

Reply #237 Posted: March 13, 2010, 09:43:55 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Some guys starting to work their way into the side.

Nathan McCullum looks better every game-Southee has definitely stepped up in my opinion.

Tuffey really puts it all out there, pity about his pace.

Would be nice to see a fully fit side for once.

Reply #238 Posted: March 13, 2010, 10:10:35 pm

Offline Zenith

• Just settled in
They have given Southee the death bowling a bit now and he seems to live up to the pressure now where as last season, not so flash.
I was only "watching" on Cricinfo and southee was getting yorker after yorker out.

Reply #239 Posted: March 13, 2010, 10:12:05 pm

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
Good work by the bowlers, but at the same time a bit of a hollow victory - still lost a winnable series, and probably would have lost 4-1 had the umpires made the right call on Ponting.

Reply #240 Posted: March 14, 2010, 03:14:47 am

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Laughed when Evan Watkin called a ball wide that hit the batsmans pads.

Batter was thinking about a quick single when the umpires hands shot out and saved him the trouble.

Reply #241 Posted: March 14, 2010, 08:03:40 am

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
Quote from: Hori;1083891
Good work by the bowlers, but at the same time a bit of a hollow victory - still lost a winnable series, and probably would have lost 4-1 had the umpires made the right call on Ponting.

Swings and roundabouts for Ricky.Given not out plumb in front earlier in the series off Tuffey. I can't recall us getting the rub of the green to many times against the aussies so i'll take that one.I am still spewing about that time Matthew Hayden was given not out plumb in front first ball from Bondie a few years back.

Reply #242 Posted: March 14, 2010, 08:16:47 am

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
It's great when Ponting gets one against him, he gets so many in his favour normally

Reply #243 Posted: March 14, 2010, 08:53:32 am

Offline Scunner

• Addicted
  • Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...
I wonder how many times the 2 not out batsman have been 49 and 99 going into the last over of the day.

Reply #244 Posted: March 19, 2010, 06:28:52 pm

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
Yep we're in trouble

Reply #245 Posted: March 19, 2010, 06:34:48 pm

Offline Zenith

• Just settled in
Quote from: kilabee;1087256
Yep we're in trouble

Give the black caps till the end of the day - they will show us what real trouble is.  If you haven't caught up with the score - don't.

Reply #246 Posted: March 20, 2010, 05:18:19 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

Maybe we shouldn't play test cricket.

Against the Aussies anyway.

Reply #247 Posted: March 20, 2010, 06:02:22 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Zenith;1087700
Give the black caps till the end of the day - they will show us what real trouble is.  If you haven't caught up with the score - don't.

i wish i read that before i did check...

Reply #248 Posted: March 20, 2010, 06:07:27 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
Not that relevant but did you know Bollinger wears a rug?Doug the Rug.I've never noticed before.

Reply #249 Posted: March 20, 2010, 07:16:07 pm