Topic: Christchurch Earthquake

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: TofuEater;1371355
And yet we have stupid businesspeople breaking cordons to get into the CBD - fuckers need to take a pill.

Motherfuckers who don't live here and who's livelyhoods are not in the balance need not fuck'n comment tbh.

Or: "Shuddup Kingi, you dunno!"
Spoiler :
But honestly. Yes it's dangerous. But so is losing your income, your staff's income, your house, the ability to school your children, your mobility and right to basic amenities.
SO fuck you, yes people want their shit back.

I know for fact that our street, and our building in particular has been through several stages:

Red sticker (original state)
Green sticker (ok to use)
yellow sticker (ok to get shit from)
red sticker again.

And the street is in a zoning area that has gone: cordon, red zone, clear zone, green zone, no go, green, red zone.

So saying that 'all in good time' is bullshit. Shit changes daily. Our building happens to be fine but the one 2 doors down threatens to land on it. The main reason we can't get back into ours is because of THEIR insurance company taking 10,000 days to make up their mind on whether to knock the bitch over or strengthen it. And being that woohoo hasn't even had his HOUSE WITH A BRICK WALL AT 20 DEGREES claim processed yet FROM THE SEPTEMBER QUAKE... We're looking to about a year or more until we're allowed back into our building. This is not counting the point where contractors are allowed back in to check the thing top to bottom after having the fitout stripped from it (on all floors) to complete a rather serious and indepth check for damage as to not have another CTV or PGG.
Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 09:50:03 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #1650 Posted: March 23, 2011, 09:37:17 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Plasma

• Addicted
  • Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.
Thought it was pretty stink when store owners were watching the Demo companies take stuff out of their buildings yet they aren't allowed in themselves. One guy said he had to buy his stuff back off them.

Reply #1651 Posted: March 23, 2011, 09:43:26 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Over roughly 60% of the CBD (cordon area) is getting pulled down. The number is lower in the media for some reason.

Source: A bossman of a company with part of the shared contract to pull the shit down.

Reply #1652 Posted: March 23, 2011, 09:57:05 pm

Offline Anaraith

• Addicted
  • Anaraith has no influence.
Hells Pizza NZ raised $175,900 for CHCH. They also taste epic.

Reply #1653 Posted: March 24, 2011, 12:15:41 am
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :

Pokemon arent real but they should be.

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Plasma;1371387
I can kind of understand those trying to get data so they can start doing business again, but really they should have been doing off site backups if it was that important. Sadly a lot of small business just don't think about that sort of thing.

How do you backup a dress shop etc?

Reply #1654 Posted: March 24, 2011, 06:19:21 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
yep, what kitty said. How does a thriving coffee business backup coffee beans and truck sized machines?

How do I roll a machine out that weighs over a tonne, needs a 500kg compressor and 3 phase power.... The data files were the least of my concern after the EQ.... getting production up was.

Reply #1655 Posted: March 24, 2011, 08:25:11 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Plasma

• Addicted
  • Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.
Quote from: Zarkov;1371446
How do you backup a dress shop etc?

Didn't know dresses were data.

Quote from: Growler;1371460
yep, what kitty said. How does a thriving coffee business backup coffee beans and truck sized machines?

How do I roll a machine out that weighs over a tonne, needs a 500kg compressor and 3 phase power.... The data files were the least of my concern after the EQ.... getting production up was.

Don't think I said anything about backing up coffee beans and truck sized machines, just data.
Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 08:52:57 am by Plasma

Reply #1656 Posted: March 24, 2011, 08:46:48 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
NZers in general love to rage at time delays when major stuff happens - I used to get it all the time when at TCL - a major outage happens, people want to know to the second how long its going to take for them to get back up and running - and when you don't know they start raging about it.

Sometimes Bad shit happens. sometimes bad shit can take a while to be fixed. sometimes you gotta calm down, let shit run its course - think of the scale of the earthquake - most of the CBD is getting Demolished, right now they (the powers that be) will be focussing on getting big business and big building sorted. then the medium sized buildings and business. then the small buildings and business and finally the individual home owner.

Reply #1657 Posted: March 24, 2011, 09:30:06 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
The thing is, it's aot of those small to medium business that bring the most back to the city. They will be local with very little outside support from a national or international branch to take up the slack unlike the bigger ones.

It's very hard for some of these people to let shit run its course, when that course is straight into becoming bankrupt. Some of the stories I have heard about in the redzone and business being demod is terrible, but I guess you have to take each story as a grain of salt, hard to know who is telling the truth.

Without the small business the CBD would not exist, nor the Sydenham area, both of which for now are fucked right up.

Reply #1658 Posted: March 24, 2011, 09:52:12 am
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
I agree - it is one of the Ironies of events like this that those who are most able to survive events like this (big businesses) are the ones who get tended to first and the ones who are least able (the individual home owner) are last, but the flip side is that once the big companies get going and start pumping money into the local economy that has a flow on effect that helps everyone

kinda damned both ways

Reply #1659 Posted: March 24, 2011, 09:55:08 am

henno

Problem is there  will be no local economy to pump money into if the small and medium businesses  don't get up and going

Reply #1660 Posted: March 24, 2011, 10:35:46 am

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
There are thousands of individual, personal tragedies in Christchurch. A number of  current businesses may go under, but the market for their services will remain and be met eventually. It is little comfort for the individuals involved, but that's how it's always worked.

The point I keep making is that any business should be as prepared as it possibly can be for their premises to be razed to the ground by fire. The issue at the moment is how slowly insurance companies come through with their payouts.

Reply #1661 Posted: March 24, 2011, 10:41:50 am

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline bucket

• Addicted
  • bucket has no influence.
Quote from: Dr Woomanchu;1371484
There are thousands of individual, personal tragedies in Christchurch. A number of  current businesses may go under, but the market for their services will remain and be met eventually. It is little comfort for the individuals involved, but that's how it's always worked.

The point I keep making is that any business should be as prepared as it possibly can be for their premises to be razed to the ground by fire. The issue at the moment is how slowly insurance companies come through with their payouts.

Our Business is still waiting for an Insurance payout after the September quake.

Reply #1662 Posted: March 24, 2011, 12:36:29 pm

Offline bitchimom

• Just settled in
  • bitchimom has no influence.
OMG our insurance company rang today... it seems pushing the 'danger' button worked well.
We really are concerned that our house will collapse onto the neighbour's place, so it's good that Arrow will come and assess it (again) but we'd really really really really just like our Sept claim settled & paid out
kthxbai

Reply #1663 Posted: March 24, 2011, 05:59:11 pm
bitchimom: dirrrrrty girl racer

earthquake refugee since aaaages ago
http://www.rebuildshakeytown.blogspot.com

Offline Pyromanik

Got an email today:

Just to give you an idea of what has happened here in Christchurch the following building have been targeted for demolition.

Copthorne (Durham Street)
Park Royal Hotel
Forsyth Barr Building
Grand Chancellor
Holiday Inn
Trust Building (Westpac)
Crown Plaza (Partial Demolition)
CTV Building
Pines Gould Corporation Building
Moorehouse Bridge Overpass
Harvey Norman Building (CBD)
Smith City Building and Carpark
Millennium Hotel (Partial Demolition possible)
Fitzgerald Street Overpass (Rebuild)
Memorial Ave Bridge (Rebuild)
Canterbury Spinners Building

The building above are just the main hotels etc.... There are many business now gone in Christchurch including Bars

How much is word of mouth I can't say though.

Reply #1664 Posted: March 24, 2011, 07:23:39 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
last i heard was that the harvey norman building is being repaired, that was about a week ago. if it was official, i'd hope i would have heard from my boss by now if it was a recent development

Reply #1665 Posted: March 24, 2011, 07:33:58 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Codex

^Information is something we all desire, afaik ccc is answering questions on twitter and may be able to answer yours.

Reply #1666 Posted: March 24, 2011, 08:37:00 pm

Offline Growler

Naylor Love is working in the Harvey Norman building. So id say it's being repaired.

Reply #1667 Posted: March 24, 2011, 09:25:45 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline bitchimom

• Just settled in
err the CTV & the PGC buildings won't take much to bring down...

Reply #1668 Posted: March 24, 2011, 10:10:08 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Where's the Fitzgerald Street Overpass?

Reply #1669 Posted: March 24, 2011, 10:11:30 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline camy205

• Addicted
  • camy205 barely matters.camy205 barely matters.
Anyone else getting sick of being asked to donate money?

Reply #1670 Posted: March 24, 2011, 10:15:39 pm
Quote from: Craigorsarus;1484182
GetSome Thread - Generic Timeline:

- Actual Topic
 - Variation of Topic
 - Someone calls someone a retard
 - Fight
 - Actual Topic
 - Fight
 - Troll
 - Your Mum
 - You\'re*
 - TROLOLOLOLOLOLOL
 - What is this thread about?

Offline bitchimom

• Just settled in
Yes. I'm doing my bit just by living here.

Any other Cantabs getting sick of being described as 'stoic'? grrrrrrrrr

Reply #1671 Posted: March 24, 2011, 10:17:37 pm

Offline bucket

• Addicted
Moorhouse Ave Overpass was meant to be open today but looks like end of next week.
Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 08:34:25 am by bucket

Reply #1672 Posted: March 25, 2011, 08:32:23 am

Offline Growler

They should just put some ramps up, 100km/h speed limit. Lets Duks of Hazard Christchurch streets.

FUCK YEAH!

Reply #1673 Posted: March 25, 2011, 08:35:57 am
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline bucket

• Addicted
Quote from: JontyB;1371588
last i heard was that the harvey norman building is being repaired, that was about a week ago. if it was official, i'd hope i would have heard from my boss by now if it was a recent development

One of my friends goes to the gym in your building, he's been told they should be open for business in 6 weeks.

Reply #1674 Posted: March 25, 2011, 12:57:05 pm