Topic: Christchurch Earthquake

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
got some news back about work. doesn't look like i'll be working for a while, but they've found a way to pay us our normal wage now that the first round of the govt assistance has finished. should be enough to keep me off the dole once course finishes :D

Reply #1850 Posted: April 26, 2011, 10:53:53 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline R3DM@N

• Addicted
  • R3DM@N has no influence.
nice wee 4.5 up north too :D very good!

Reply #1851 Posted: April 26, 2011, 10:54:56 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
post-quake financial stresses may have just been cleared up. sounds like work has got the insurance company paying our wages now that the govt assistance has finished for us.

Reply #1852 Posted: April 26, 2011, 10:59:39 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Bitchimom posted this picture on her blog. Had to share

Reply #1853 Posted: May 06, 2011, 01:16:02 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
So I had dinner out on Sat night, and one of the people there is involved HUGELY with the rebuild of Chch, has almost daily meetings with scientists etc.

Anyway, she mentioned that the geo nerds were concerned that Darfield appears to of woken up again since they declared it dead. Areas of greatest concern were New Brighton and Prebbleton. She wasn't prepared to say alot more, but suggested that the fun may not be over yet in Canterbury.

I wish I could find out more, and will see if she can get me anything.

Reply #1854 Posted: May 09, 2011, 12:16:39 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
They'll be able to discern a lot more once the seismic data is available.
The City lines have been done and now they're working out Rolleston/Prebbleton/ Greendale way.
Initial data shows structures, steeply dipping.
The area's probably riddled with faults, which isn't that surprising when you take into account the southward migration of the plate boundary.

Reply #1855 Posted: May 09, 2011, 12:37:04 pm
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Saw a comment on cr Sue Wells blog, that the engineers rebuilding the St Martins New World have dug down 14 meters and still not found solid ground :eek:

Reply #1856 Posted: May 09, 2011, 05:31:26 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Christchurch has more faults?

Reply #1857 Posted: May 09, 2011, 07:36:22 pm

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
Hilarious - i was there at the weekend. The family were blobbing out so me and the missus shot up to Otira for the day. As we were driving between Darfield and Springfield we both had the same thought - i bet they have an aftershock while we're out of town. And sure enough another 4.0 rained down terror on their lazy butts while we enjoyed the comfort of a leisurely trip in a near new 4WD.

Reply #1858 Posted: May 09, 2011, 09:16:42 pm
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Sounds like you missed out Tofu.
4.0's are nothing but a bit of fun.

Anyway, time for some extremely interesting stuff.
Most people haven't seen any of this since the 22nd of Feb.

https://picasaweb.google.com/RossBeckerNZ/2011April27IntoTheChristchurchRedZone

Reply #1859 Posted: May 11, 2011, 11:21:38 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Dr Woomanchu

This website lets you drive through the red zone virtually. It's irritating in that you can;t look up at all, but it does give you a taste of it.

I have to drive in the redzone regularly and I can tell you images don't begin to do it justice. The smell, the relative silence, and the feel of desolation, make it always moving driving down Gloucester street

Reply #1860 Posted: May 11, 2011, 11:30:37 am

Offline zolteg

• Devoted Member
  • zolteg has no influence.

Reply #1861 Posted: May 11, 2011, 04:00:12 pm

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
  • kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...
Quote from: zolteg;1382463
Oh, and well done, yer honour....

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10724906

2nded - appropriate sentence .

Reply #1862 Posted: May 11, 2011, 04:17:43 pm

Offline bitchimom

• Just settled in
  • bitchimom has no influence.
Sometimes u gotta love the people who have nothing better to do than organise everyone else - we've got one of those women on our street and she's planned a garage sale this weekend... for the whole street! Works for me (kinda, timing could be better) 'cos I can just pile some stuff up out the front & wait for people to wander by.

Me n Woohoo are gonna roll out the coffee machine and provide some decent caffiene for all n sundry. No trim, no fucking decaf, just wickedly grunty C4 Stout served with full cream milk. Get it down ya.

If you're in the Somerfield neighbourhood on Saturday (8.30-11am) wander down Leitch St and say gidday :)

Reply #1863 Posted: May 11, 2011, 05:26:52 pm
bitchimom: dirrrrrty girl racer

earthquake refugee since aaaages ago
http://www.rebuildshakeytown.blogspot.com

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
I'll cross town for a cuppa made by you!

Reply #1864 Posted: May 11, 2011, 09:52:58 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Dr Woomanchu

Bring your station wagon and you can fill the back of it with that spare wood we have

Reply #1865 Posted: May 11, 2011, 11:22:27 pm

Offline Growler

..... my Subaru be dead :(

awaiting new engine install, I will try and grab truck otherwise.

Reply #1866 Posted: May 11, 2011, 11:49:14 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Codex

:( we shall miss thee

My cousins wrx engine died also lol, had a buggered headgasket and was left for too long, massive crack in head now so he ordered a completely reconditioned ej20.

Reply #1867 Posted: May 12, 2011, 07:25:53 am

Offline Dr Woomanchu

There's maybe half a trailer of wood on that back shed for you to take. Thats a no cage std trailer.

Reply #1868 Posted: May 12, 2011, 09:49:36 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Growler;1382668
..... my Subaru be dead :(

awaiting new engine install, I will try and grab truck otherwise.

Stink.
I told ya to get it looked at!

Reply #1869 Posted: May 14, 2011, 01:11:58 pm

Offline Growler

I did get it looked at, hence why it is dead. Wasn't worth fixing.

Reply #1870 Posted: May 14, 2011, 05:38:43 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Pyromanik

I knew since I made that call, THAT was going to be the exact situation you were in...

... but then I was like "pfffft"

BAH!

Reply #1871 Posted: May 15, 2011, 02:10:10 am

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Awaiting the results of the vibroseis survey. Should be enlightening,by all accounts so far.

Reply #1872 Posted: May 19, 2011, 06:42:31 pm

Offline Growler

engrish please mr duck?

Reply #1873 Posted: May 19, 2011, 07:41:02 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
The seismic survey ongoing at the moment will yield information pertinent to the geological structures underlying Christchurch and the nearby environs,but it is by no means a complete picture being a 'line' rather than a 'grid' which give s a greater degree of confidence in three-dimensional structures... (or 4D for that matter). There are also 'internal' mumblings about the lack of depth penetration (though that is a complicated matter and not as easy as 'upping the yield'of the seismic source.

Suffice to say it will give us some information,but not a whole lot, and is very much,in my opinion, a public relations exercise to placate public 'moanings' about lack of knowledge.

I'll keep you posted as I hear more...We have a team involved. Sadly, I'm not part of it due to Lab duties,but I will ask about outcomes etc....

Reply #1874 Posted: May 19, 2011, 08:06:13 pm