Topic: Christchurch Earthquake

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Jesus fuck, anyone feel that?

I'm in Palmy and I felt it.

Reply #225 Posted: September 07, 2010, 10:48:50 am

Offline Obbles

• Obbles has no influence.
Quote from: philo-sofa;1307168
Quote from: Menial;1307163
Yes quite, I'll be thinking of you between finishing my brioche and starting my new glass of pinot. Chin-chin.

Rather.

Pinot with a Brioche, WTF?

Quote from: Rex;1307160
Fuck you're a faggot Alex

Your a fag.

you're*

Reply #226 Posted: September 07, 2010, 10:49:54 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: RetardoBot;1307171

No, what?

# Reference Number: 3367973
# NZST: Tue, Sep 7 2010 10:03 am
# Magnitude: 3.6
# Depth: 40 km
# Details: 30 km east of Waipawa

You shouldn't have felt that, but we'll wait until geonet updates. Probably a shallower and closer one to you.

Reply #227 Posted: September 07, 2010, 10:52:32 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
  • philo-sofa barely matters.philo-sofa barely matters.
I know Menial. I'm in the UK rt now so I feel extra powerless to help.  If things were to worsen significantly then we may need to help house Chrischurchers around the country. For now all I can say is that I'm more than happy to accept whatever tax bill is needed, provide any manual labour to help clear shit up and when I get back to work I'll get involved in the no-doubt already active BNZ response.. But you're right, we can't all walk down there and provide food, water and blankets right now can we?

Reply #228 Posted: September 07, 2010, 10:52:57 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Just had a bit of a wobbler.

It's probably amplified because I am 5 stories up in an OLD university building.

Reply #229 Posted: September 07, 2010, 10:53:50 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Rex;1307125
I couldnt get to sleep after the 5.2 at 11, then the one at 3am wakes me up ><

Heh. Slept right through this last night.

# Reference Number: 3367832
# NZST: Tue, Sep 7 2010 3:24 am
# Magnitude: 5.4
# Depth: 15 km
# Details: 20 km south-east of Darfield

Reply #230 Posted: September 07, 2010, 10:55:27 am

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Hav0k;1307170
I can come help map grim!

I can assure you that I am very well mapped, Havok!

However, the fault trace is probably more important to map at this point in time!

Check out the flyover:
http://www.gns.cri.nz/Home/News-and-Events/Media-Releases/Most-damaging-quake-since-1931/Canterbury-quake

Reply #231 Posted: September 07, 2010, 10:55:47 am
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline Pyromanik

Interesting stuff!

[video]Npqx3WmNkv4[/video]

Reply #232 Posted: September 07, 2010, 10:58:20 am

Offline Hav0k

• Just settled in
  • Hav0k is looked down upon.
in mm accuracy? i'm pretty handy with a total station ya know.

Reply #233 Posted: September 07, 2010, 10:59:40 am
\'There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but the view is always the same\'

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Canterbury fault had not ruptured for at least 16,000 years - 06/09/2010

http://www.gns.cri.nz/Home/News-and-Events/Media-Releases/16000-years

The earthquake produced a 22km-long surface rupture and up to 4m of horizontal displacement in alluvial terraces that were deposited about 16,000 years ago at the end of the last glaciation.

When the last ice-age ended, rivers brought large amounts of gravel from the high country and distributed it throughout Canterbury, many meters thick in some places.

"Before Saturday, there was nothing in the landscape that would have suggested there was an active fault beneath the Darfield and Rolleston areas," said Kelvin Berryman, Manager of the Natural Hazards Platform at GNS Science.

"Geologists have no information on when the fault last ruptured as it was unknown until last weekend. "All we can say at this stage is that this newly revealed fault has not ruptured since the gravels were deposited about 16,000 years ago."

"It is highly likely there are other 'hidden' faults around New Zealand which may be capable of producing large earthquakes in the future," Dr Berryman said.

The fault had been accumulating stress for thousands of years. Faults fail catastrophically when stresses exceed a certain threshold.

Saturday's earthquake produced the strongest ground-shaking ever recorded in an earthquake in New Zealand. The highest ground-shaking measurement of 1.25 times the strength of gravity was recorded at Greendale near the epicentre.

Crikey!!!!!!

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll47/Ngati_Grim/20100906collapse.jpg
Christchurch Earthquake

:(

I love those cliffs.

Reply #234 Posted: September 07, 2010, 11:02:56 am

Offline Pyromanik

DrQuigs has gone offline!

Anyway, he seemed to think it could be much more like a 6000, not 16000 year recurrance interval.

Is back online (site must be getting hammered!)

Much is being made in the media of this as being a "new fault". This is probably not a "new fault" in the sense that the earthquake caused a previously unruptured part of the Earth's crust to rupture. My suspicion is that this fault has had earthquakes in the past, but has a sufficiently long recurrence interval (time between earthquakes) such that any prior evidence of past earthquakes was not visible on the surface prior to this earthquake. Much of the Canterbury Plains consist of sediments with soil profiles that suggest the surfaces are ~16,000 years old (person. commun. P. Almond, Lincoln Uni) - if these show no prior evidence of faulting then a reasonable conclusion, as proposed by GNS scientists, is that there had not been an earthquake on this fault in the last 16,000 years prior to this event. However, given the active nature of Canterbury's major rivers, it is possible that the oldest surface cut by the fault may be less than 16,000 years old, and may be as young as 6.000 yrs old. In that case, it is possible that the recurrence interval on the fault is much shorter than 16,000 yrs.

Reply #235 Posted: September 07, 2010, 11:05:15 am

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
Yeah, I couldn't access it this morning...bandwidth exceeded...(his, not ours).

5.2 Rii...that's reasonable...http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/quakes/latest.html

Reply #236 Posted: September 07, 2010, 11:09:19 am

Offline Pyromanik

Quote from: Ngati_Grim;1307188
Yeah, I couldn't access it this morning...bandwidth exceeded...(his, not ours).

5.2 Rii...that's reasonable...http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/quakes/latest.html

mmm, still a wee way away! Was pretty shallow though.

Quote from: RetardoBot;1307171

That wasn't us bro, that was you!

# Reference Number: 3367989
# NZST: Tue, Sep 7 2010 10:48 am
# Magnitude: 5.2
# Depth: 15 km
# Details: 20 km south-east of Porangahau

Reply #237 Posted: September 07, 2010, 11:21:35 am

Offline Hav0k

• Just settled in
i like maps.

Reply #238 Posted: September 07, 2010, 11:25:13 am
\'There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but the view is always the same\'

Offline Pyromanik

Cartography is fantastic!

Reply #239 Posted: September 07, 2010, 11:25:40 am

Offline Hav0k

• Just settled in
is it possible to run backed up games on the new xbox 360?

Reply #240 Posted: September 07, 2010, 11:32:56 am

Offline Pyromanik

What does that have to do with the Christchurch Earthquake?

Reply #241 Posted: September 07, 2010, 11:36:52 am

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
got some good news today. unlike a fair few workplaces, i'll be getting paid for the days we were closed. comes out of annual leave, but at least i'm not going to be short.

grim, i'd love to help out with the liquifaction survey, but we don't have any out this way :/

Reply #242 Posted: September 07, 2010, 11:38:53 am
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Hav0k

• Just settled in
errrr, all my games were destroyed.

ANSWER THE QUESTION!

Reply #243 Posted: September 07, 2010, 11:39:17 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Hav0k, I believe the new ones can be......

Reply #244 Posted: September 07, 2010, 11:42:08 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Pyromanik

Fucked if I know bud. But your insurance should cover it all...

Reply #245 Posted: September 07, 2010, 11:43:27 am

Offline ChineseKiwi

• Addicted
  • ChineseKiwi has no influence.
Christchurch peeps, turn your comp into a seismograph (dunno how accurate it is / variables)

http://qcn.stanford.edu/

To Quigs, sorry for linking your website thus bringing it down lols. Same for recommending on CNN comments pages to visit NZ sources for information lols.

Reply #246 Posted: September 07, 2010, 11:58:13 am

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Quote from: Hav0k;1307207
errrr, all my games were destroyed.

ANSWER THE QUESTION!

If you can flash the dvd drive you can. But I don't know what drive is in the new one.

Reply #247 Posted: September 07, 2010, 12:02:41 pm

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
Quote from: JontyB;1307206
got some good news today. unlike a fair few workplaces, i'll be getting paid for the days we were closed. comes out of annual leave, but at least i'm not going to be short.

grim, i'd love to help out with the liquifaction survey, but we don't have any out this way :/

The companies insurance should be paying for that, it should not come out of your annual leave

Reply #248 Posted: September 07, 2010, 12:04:00 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
i think that is the plan, reimburse the leave once the claim has been made. focus is to eliminate financial disruption for us (cause most of us study, and scrape by), total up our lost income from the weekends bookings (which is a lot, booking-wise saturday was going to be one of the busiest days of the year) and add on the AL top up if possible and submit as one claim

Reply #249 Posted: September 07, 2010, 12:09:04 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity