Topic: Christchurch Earthquake

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: TofuEater;1454581
The deregulation caused the CHCH earthquake - thank fuck for that, for a minute i thought it was a freak of nature and it could happen again. All we have to do is re-regulate and we'll never suffer from an earthquake or natural disaster again!

OK, that's your knee-jerk dumb post out of the way.

Now tell us whose job it was to make sure the people in the CTV building were safe, and why they're all dead now.

Reply #2300 Posted: December 08, 2011, 04:48:34 pm

Codex

:< will miss pulzar fm

Reply #2301 Posted: December 08, 2011, 05:30:08 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
yeah sad to see going off air :(

Reply #2302 Posted: December 08, 2011, 05:32:48 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Zarkov;1454742
OK, that's your knee-jerk dumb post out of the way.

Now tell us whose job it was to make sure the people in the CTV building were safe, and why they're all dead now.

And why growing cracks in structural elements of the PGC building were ignored or deemed superficial by engineers.

Your post was retarded Tofu. You didn't even read Woohoo's post. Of course regulations aren't going to stop earthquakes, but they might help prevent tragic loss of life in the event of one!

Reply #2303 Posted: December 08, 2011, 05:46:48 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
or.... the EQC could employ Ken Ring!!!

FUCK YEA!

Reply #2304 Posted: December 08, 2011, 05:51:41 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Only if he has family working there.

Reply #2305 Posted: December 08, 2011, 05:53:16 pm

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
  • kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...
whole new meaning for 'working for families'

Reply #2306 Posted: December 08, 2011, 05:56:20 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Quote from: TofuEater;1454581
The deregulation caused the CHCH earthquake - thank fuck for that, for a minute i thought it was a freak of nature and it could happen again. All we have to do is re-regulate and we'll never suffer from an earthquake or natural disaster again!

pike river was what i was was referring to. we have had more than one disaster down here, and I assumed that was the revelations the cat was referring to.  There's several thousand people around the country who'd classify leaky homes as a disaster too. You know, that's where a National government deregulated the building industry because the market would ensure homes were built properly.
Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 06:01:51 pm by Dr Woomanchu

Reply #2307 Posted: December 08, 2011, 05:59:44 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Quote from: Codex;1454763

yeah. gutted by that :(

Reply #2308 Posted: December 08, 2011, 06:00:19 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Quote from: kilabee;1454771
whole new meaning for 'working for families'

And claim 2 allowances per household while you're at it.

Reply #2309 Posted: December 08, 2011, 06:15:20 pm

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
Quote from: Dr Woomanchu;1454773
pike river was what i was was referring to. we have had more than one disaster down here, and I assumed that was the revelations the cat was referring to. There's several thousand people around the country who'd classify leaky homes as a disaster too. You know, that's where a National government deregulated the building industry because the market would ensure homes were built properly.
Kool, so all we have to do is sue the government and all the leaky buildings will be fixed. It must be great to live in Woohooland where all the problems are so black and white. Of course, in Woohooland there wouldn't be any council inspectors who failed in their job. There wouldn't be any architects who designed such poor houses that they would leak. There wouldn't be any need to change the building code to try and assist people into housing because prices had got beyond their reach. No, all you need is a government because they deregulated.

Reply #2310 Posted: December 09, 2011, 08:23:17 am
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Plasma

• Addicted
  • Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.
Quote from: Codex;1454763

I thought my car stereo was broke :(

Reply #2311 Posted: December 09, 2011, 09:40:33 am

Codex

Quote from: Plasma;1454911
I thought my car stereo was broke :(

Me too ;_;

The static is still better than all the other shitty stations on atm. Except the random pirate dnb radio station near Riccarton that I get sometimes >_>

Sounds like they're not going down without a fight though:
Well it's been a busy day around here... And after much consideration we aren't going to just roll over like "the man" would like... we haven't finalised the plan quite yet, and will need your help to implement it, so stay tuned, and don't give up on us yet... we're trying to make a come back..

And yes i'm a derp and posted the pulzar thing in the wrong chch thread. Dealwithit.gif

Reply #2312 Posted: December 09, 2011, 10:44:34 am

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
Sad that Pulzar is gone, alongside the replacement of George (by far the best radio station for young cool hipster motherfuckzzzz out son) for Mai FM (in lieu of Tahu? Never!).

My listening order was more or less
1. George
2. Radio New Zealand
3. RDU
3. Pulzar
4. Hauraki
5. Kiwi FM

Not that I listen to much anymore - bar Radio NZ in the mornings und nights.

Reply #2313 Posted: December 09, 2011, 11:37:55 am

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Dr Woomanchu;1454773
pike river was what i was was referring to. we have had more than one disaster down here, and I assumed that was the revelations the cat was referring to.  There's several thousand people around the country who'd classify leaky homes as a disaster too. You know, that's where a National government deregulated the building industry because the market would ensure homes were built properly.

I was talking about all of them.

Just more and more examples of why self/deregulation doesn't work.

ACC is probably at the heart of it.

In most countries in the world we'd be too frightened to behave the way we do as a society.

As the spokesperson for the Miners Union said, it's the wild west down here.

Reply #2314 Posted: December 09, 2011, 04:24:18 pm

Codex

Quote from: Hori88;1454940
Sad that Pulzar is gone, alongside the replacement of George (by far the best radio station for young cool hipster motherfuckzzzz out son) for Mai FM (in lieu of Tahu? Never!).

My listening order was more or less
1. George
2. Radio New Zealand
3. RDU
3. Pulzar
4. Hauraki
5. Kiwi FM

Not that I listen to much anymore - bar Radio NZ in the mornings und nights.

RDU has turned to absolute shit really

Reply #2315 Posted: December 09, 2011, 08:27:07 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Quote from: Zarkov;1454993
I was talking about all of them.

Just more and more examples of why self/deregulation doesn't work.

ACC is probably at the heart of it.

In most countries in the world we'd be too frightened to behave the way we do as a society.

As the spokesperson for the Miners Union said, it's the wild west down here.

mmm.

I was talking to a guy who works in the Aussie mines during the world cup.
He said we're fucking crazy. No regulations at all.

As an example, the told me that (I don't remember exact figures) our methane safety threshold is something like 4%, which he said was retardedly high. If the needle gets anywhere over 1% in aussie they evacuate the entire mine.

Reply #2316 Posted: December 09, 2011, 11:51:22 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

It's not only the mines.

Because of Health and Safety, and how it rewards procedure over safe practice, we've substituted protocol for safety in all areas of our lives.

The costs it imposes are enormous, and the benefits negligible or non-existent.

There's no substitute for a big stick when a carrot won't work.

The mess that are our financial markets proves that.

Reply #2317 Posted: December 10, 2011, 08:11:14 am

Offline Dr Woomanchu

Reply #2318 Posted: December 14, 2011, 11:11:55 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
Mid-dump

Nek minnit

Reply #2319 Posted: December 23, 2011, 02:05:26 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Robby06

• Just settled in
  • Robby06 has no influence.
Why am i always in the damn toilet when they hit....im guessing that was around 4.0 ?

Reply #2320 Posted: December 23, 2011, 02:05:40 pm

Offline Catalyst

• Addicted
  • Catalyst barely matters.Catalyst barely matters.
fuck me that was quite a shake, glad I wasn't at work

Reply #2321 Posted: December 23, 2011, 02:06:06 pm

Offline Aloysius

• Just settled in
  • Aloysius has no influence.
Dat shaking.

was it a small one? My damage-o-meter is out of sync now. Nothing broken much I hope.

Reply #2322 Posted: December 23, 2011, 02:06:24 pm

Offline Catalyst

• Addicted
  • Catalyst barely matters.Catalyst barely matters.
and again

Reply #2323 Posted: December 23, 2011, 02:06:40 pm

Offline Robby06

• Just settled in
  • Robby06 has no influence.
...and more coming  :(

Reply #2324 Posted: December 23, 2011, 02:06:49 pm