Topic: Christchurch Earthquake

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Alpine fault not due until december in 2 years time.

Then we'll see if 'crazy' scientist is right.

Quote from: smegmacheese;1306843
Are there septic tank trucks or anything like that going around? My parents are boiling water and doing the best they can with sanitation.

Yeh, saw some hirequip ones rolling around the CBD on the day of the main event.
Some portaloos have been deposited in badly struck neighbourhoods according to the council website.

Reply #150 Posted: September 06, 2010, 04:58:57 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Obbles

• Obbles has no influence.
Just had the water come back on :)

Reply #151 Posted: September 06, 2010, 05:12:08 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Gratz!
Now you just have to wait for the poo to clear out of the pipes... And everything will be back to normal!

Reply #152 Posted: September 06, 2010, 05:27:57 pm

Offline Obbles

Holy fuck that was the best poo/shower ever

Reply #153 Posted: September 06, 2010, 05:28:55 pm

Offline bucket

• Addicted
  • bucket has no influence.
just had my builder mate over to look at chimney, he's got 28 to pull down! should have mine down tomorrow.

Reply #154 Posted: September 06, 2010, 05:39:33 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
bucket you should of said, i would of come and helped clear it so at least would be weather tight.

Reply #155 Posted: September 06, 2010, 05:47:53 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Pheer me.

Reply #156 Posted: September 06, 2010, 06:28:36 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Growler;1306873
bucket you should of said, i would of come and helped clear it so at least would be weather tight.

Yep, I've been helping various neighbours with theirs...a few old folk around here who need consoling and assistance, and our landlord just patched our roof where one of our chimneys was.

As soon as they found out I was a geologist they asked me how long it would last etc...I wish I could have given them a definite answer, but I just don't know :(

It's a surprisingly coherent neighbourhood in times of distress. Quite heartening really.

Reply #157 Posted: September 06, 2010, 06:52:38 pm
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline bucket

• Addicted
  • bucket has no influence.
we are ok'ish at the moment, got a inner metal flu holding it together, been helping at work, got to get the engineers going! didn't worry too much about our house as we were pretty lucky. going to rakiaka tomorrow to make sure the engineers are ok to fix the dairy sheds.

Reply #158 Posted: September 06, 2010, 06:57:33 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Quote from: Ngati_Grim;1306896
Quote from: Growler;1306873

Yep, I've been helping various neighbours with theirs...a few old folk around here who need consoling and assistance, and our landlord just patched our roof where one of our chimneys was.

As soon as they found out I was a geologist they asked me how long it would last etc...I wish I could have given them a definite answer, but I just don't know :(

It's a surprisingly coherent neighbourhood in times of distress. Quite heartening really.

One of the first things I said about 10 mins after the quake.
Standing out in the frost in shorts and a hoodie...

"It's a bit of a shame that in modern times it takes a city damaging earthquake before people even meet their neighbours."

Reply #159 Posted: September 06, 2010, 09:16:34 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
Earthquakes, tearing neighbourhoods apart, yet binding communities together.

Reply #160 Posted: September 06, 2010, 10:07:54 pm

Offline zolteg

• Devoted Member
  • zolteg has no influence.
Quote from: Spork;1306985
Earthquakes, tearing neighbourhoods apart, yet binding communities together.

I gotta say I was quite taken with Bob Parker's comment on day 0, to 'get out & check on your neighbours, but people will be doing that already 'cos that's the kind of people we are here in Christchurch' (or words to that effect). I thought that was such a simple comment on the surface, but the messages underneath were quite subtle & complex......

Reply #161 Posted: September 06, 2010, 10:22:33 pm

Offline Equity

• Addicted
  • Equity has no influence.
Quote from: Rex;1306858
Holy fuck that was the best poo/shower ever

a 16 min shower and poo?? Are you pooing in the shower??

I have no idea how you got both done in that amount of time haha, esp after being days without!!

Reply #162 Posted: September 06, 2010, 10:32:41 pm
"think c2w might be a little to hard core for my skills atm anyways"-Splatter

Offline Pyromanik

We've been told to conserve water, and try to create minimal waste water.
Thus, showers are quick, and often only enough to make one feel better rather than full on sparkley clean and smelling like daisies.

Reply #163 Posted: September 06, 2010, 10:52:25 pm

Offline Pho3n1x

• Just settled in
  • Pho3n1x has no influence.
JESUS

Reply #164 Posted: September 06, 2010, 11:23:10 pm

Offline Obbles

That one was the biggest so far :/

and again

Reply #165 Posted: September 06, 2010, 11:23:50 pm

Offline mish

• Addicted
  • mish has no influence.
Woah.

Reply #166 Posted: September 06, 2010, 11:25:11 pm

Offline Pyromanik

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Reply #167 Posted: September 06, 2010, 11:25:43 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
prepare for a rough night i reckon

Reply #168 Posted: September 06, 2010, 11:26:02 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Pho3n1x

• Just settled in
Alright beats on the size? Think I'm gonna go with 6.0

Reply #169 Posted: September 06, 2010, 11:27:19 pm

Offline mish

• Addicted
  • mish has no influence.
5 if that.

Reply #170 Posted: September 06, 2010, 11:29:17 pm

Offline nuf

• Just settled in
  • nuf has no influence.

Reply #171 Posted: September 06, 2010, 11:29:46 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Fuck no, not 6.
Barely 5.

I'd stab at 5.1 4.8 Nah, I'll stick with 5.1... but for the record I think it's on the high side.

Reply #172 Posted: September 06, 2010, 11:30:03 pm

Offline mish

• Addicted
  • mish has no influence.
I'm tripping balls trying to sit upright without swaying,

Reply #173 Posted: September 06, 2010, 11:30:54 pm

Offline Pho3n1x

• Just settled in
Yea maybe I was just surprised. But I swear that was the biggest one yet. Although I have felt a 5 and that definetely wasn't 10 times bigger.

Reply #174 Posted: September 06, 2010, 11:31:10 pm