Topic: Christchurch Earthquake

Offline nick247

• Addicted
  • nick247 has no influence.
I told you guys...in "the day after tomorrow" after the first tornados that kill lots of people this one scientist is like "we gotta evacuate the people there is going to be a bigger killer storm coming"

and the government is all like 'no it's an election year, we cant do that, we will be ok, everyone remain where you are"

then the wolves escape from the zoo

Reply #200 Posted: September 07, 2010, 12:03:25 am

Offline nuf

• Just settled in
  • nuf has no influence.
swimming pool + car tube = fun times

Reply #201 Posted: September 07, 2010, 12:05:19 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: nick247;1307079
I told you guys...in "the day after tomorrow" after the first tornados that kill lots of people this one scientist is like "we gotta evacuate the people there is going to be a bigger killer storm coming"

and the government is all like 'no it's an election year, we cant do that, we will be ok, everyone remain where you are"

then the wolves escape from the zoo

Actually, it's Mayoral election time...

Quote from: nuf;1307080
swimming pool + car tube = fun times

Playing Quake in a 'quake...
Not only do I gotta aim normally (which I'm not too flash at), I also have to compensate for monitor sway!

"Yo dawg..."

Reply #202 Posted: September 07, 2010, 12:08:17 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline GhostOfGallipoli

• GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...
fucks sake, i moved to welly for a reason....

Reply #203 Posted: September 07, 2010, 12:09:21 am

Offline nick247

• Addicted
  • nick247 has no influence.
do you trust your mayor to put the people ahead of his own political ambitions?

Reply #204 Posted: September 07, 2010, 12:10:15 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: nick247;1307083
do you trust your mayor to put the people ahead of his own political ambitions?
He was in a bit of a bad position I think, his swift and well executed response may earn him some points he actually needs...

Quote from: GhostOfGallipoli;1307082
fucks sake, i moved to welly for a reason....
Chicks and beer?

Reply #205 Posted: September 07, 2010, 12:10:27 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline ChineseKiwi

• Addicted
  • ChineseKiwi has no influence.
follow the progress of documenting the fault here:

http://www.drquigs.com/

Reply #206 Posted: September 07, 2010, 12:59:23 am

Offline ChineseKiwi

• Addicted
  • ChineseKiwi has no influence.
that one was nice. Things noticeably shook.

Reply #207 Posted: September 07, 2010, 03:24:50 am

Offline Hav0k

• Just settled in
  • Hav0k is looked down upon.
Quote from: ChineseKiwi;1307090
follow the progress of documenting the fault here:

http://www.drquigs.com/

:( that could have been me.

Reply #208 Posted: September 07, 2010, 07:24:12 am
\'There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but the view is always the same\'

Offline camy205

• Addicted
  • camy205 barely matters.camy205 barely matters.
What's someone from Christchuch favourite drink?

Shakes......

Yeah, that was bad

Reply #209 Posted: September 07, 2010, 07:42:16 am
Quote from: Craigorsarus;1484182
GetSome Thread - Generic Timeline:

- Actual Topic
 - Variation of Topic
 - Someone calls someone a retard
 - Fight
 - Actual Topic
 - Fight
 - Troll
 - Your Mum
 - You\'re*
 - TROLOLOLOLOLOLOL
 - What is this thread about?

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
You lot are very brave, I'd be shaking in my boots

Reply #210 Posted: September 07, 2010, 08:14:05 am

Offline Obbles

• Obbles has no influence.
I couldnt get to sleep after the 5.2 at 11, then the one at 3am wakes me up ><

Reply #211 Posted: September 07, 2010, 08:19:24 am

Offline Spigalau

• Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.

Reply #212 Posted: September 07, 2010, 08:31:06 am
49 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 6d 65 6d 62 65 72 20 77 68 65 6e 20 74 68 65 20 61 69 72 20 77 61 73 20 63 6c 65 61 6e 20 61 6e 64 20 73 65 78 20 77 61 73 20 64 69 72 74 79 2e

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Yeah those 3 decent aftershock last night have put some major stress on my old home, the bay window extension that would of been put on in the 50s looks like it might be having a fight to see if it can split from the house, some cracks and bulges in the ceiling overnight. Right over my bed.... I think I might sleep in the kids room tonight.

Reply #213 Posted: September 07, 2010, 08:51:09 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline 420fairy

• Mother Of Dragons

• 420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!
you keep mentioning the family arent around - wheres mrs growler and littlies? far far away from the scariness?

Reply #214 Posted: September 07, 2010, 09:15:14 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Out at her parents.

Reply #215 Posted: September 07, 2010, 09:20:53 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
  • philo-sofa barely matters.philo-sofa barely matters.
Like most Aucklanders I tended primarily to open my mouth about Christchurcher to make jokes about whites shaving the head of their sexiest horse before the school prom / hate rally to impress their even whiter cousins.

However... seriously, after seeing the extent of the damage and suffering and knowing how lost you must feel I want to say something else. Please Cantabrians know this - we will all be there for you; however large the burden, however long it takes, however much it costs we will support you completely and restore your city. Kia Kaha, we'll get through this together.

Reply #216 Posted: September 07, 2010, 10:19:07 am

Offline Obbles

• Obbles has no influence.
Fuck you're a faggot Alex

:)

Reply #217 Posted: September 07, 2010, 10:20:59 am

Offline bitchimom

• Just settled in
  • bitchimom has no influence.
Quote from: philo-sofa;1307159
Kia Kaha, we'll get through this together.

cheers, appreciate the thoughts :)

just hope my house will stand strong through these aftershocks!

Reply #218 Posted: September 07, 2010, 10:24:42 am
bitchimom: dirrrrrty girl racer

earthquake refugee since aaaages ago
http://www.rebuildshakeytown.blogspot.com

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: bitchimom;1307161
Kia Kaha, we'll get through this together.

cheers, appreciate the thoughts :)

just hope my house will stand strong through these aftershocks!

Woohoo, you sly dog.

Reply #219 Posted: September 07, 2010, 10:28:39 am

Offline Menial

• Addicted
  • Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.
Please Cantabrians know this - we will all be there for you; however large the burden, however long it takes, however much it costs we will support you completely and restore your city. Kia Kaha, we'll get through this together.

Yes quite, I'll be thinking of you between finishing my brioche and starting my new glass of pinot. Chin-chin.

Rather.

Reply #220 Posted: September 07, 2010, 10:29:14 am

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Christchurch People, if you can do this, it would be greatly appreciated and would provide us with very valuable information:

Hi all,
I hope everyone has survived the earthquake and hasn't suffered too much damage!

At the moment the UC research teams are leading the liquefaction mapping effort around the city. Today we had 5 teams active around the city and hopefully more tomorrow. This data is time perishable - so we are really keen to record what has happned at your flat or house.

Could you please make a recording of (and email to me):

1) The location of your house (in latitude and longitude) - use Google Earth if you need.
2) Please report whether there has been any liquefaction at your location - this might be subsidence, soil boils/volcanoes, etc.

3) Please take a reading of the orientation (i.e. strike) of any cracks/fissures or sand volcano trends. Many of them will be associated with your foundations - but record this anyway. Please state the geographic location of the feature. Please be specific about your level of accuracy (e.g. measured to mm or estimated). State weather you used a compass, your iPhone, or just took a best guess.

4) Make measurements of the cracks (length, thickness, horizontal and vertical offset). Again - please try and be as accurate as possible. A full geographic description of the crack's orinentation would be great. The orientation, alignment of vents is really useful as we can back-analyse these with respect to local relief, river, subsurface geology etc later.

5) Has there been fissuring/cracking with or without sediment being ejected.
6) Where sediment has been erupted from the ground, undertake a full textural description - e.g. massive, light grey coloured, well sorted, fine grained sand. If you could take a representative sample (small plastic bag) and bring it in when uni reopens that would be awesome!

7) What is the elevation with respect to sea level or the river? An estimate is fine.
8) Descriptions of any evidence of subsidence or block rafting etc fissure envelopment etc. are all useful.
9) Take as many photos as possible!!! Just hold onto these at the moment - we will have a website you can up load them to ready within a few days.

10) Post a description of your experiences in a 'Felt Reports' at http://www.geonet.org.nz (if you had any additional damage - please make a description and include within this report).

11) Enjoy being part of this event!!

Please send your responses to me - in this rough format (just reply to this email). Please forward this onto as many friends and family in the Canterbury area as you can. We realise that much of the liquefaction material has been cleaned up already - but do what you can.

Send the information to: thomas.wilson@canterbury.ac.nz

Quote from: mish;1307077
I'm clutching my 24" under the doorframe yelling obscenities.

Hope that's a monitor, Mr Dillinger! 0.o

Reply #221 Posted: September 07, 2010, 10:32:16 am
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
  • philo-sofa barely matters.philo-sofa barely matters.
Quote from: Menial;1307163
Yes quite, I'll be thinking of you between finishing my brioche and starting my new glass of pinot. Chin-chin.

Rather.

Pinot with a Brioche, WTF?

Quote from: Rex;1307160
Fuck you're a faggot Alex

Your a fag.

Reply #222 Posted: September 07, 2010, 10:45:01 am

Offline Menial

• Addicted
  • Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.
Well I don't drink wine or eat brioches so...

You know, it's strange this being a (mostly) developed country, us in the rest of the country can't really do much to help. We don't need to send money, blankets, water, or any other vital survival gear, so what can we really do?

Our lives continue much the same as they would have, but we see these otherwise exactly the same people to us having cope with the destruction of their homes and businesses.

It's hard to know how to approach this whole thing.

Reply #223 Posted: September 07, 2010, 10:45:47 am

Offline Hav0k

• Just settled in
  • Hav0k is looked down upon.
I can come help map grim!

Reply #224 Posted: September 07, 2010, 10:48:27 am
\'There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but the view is always the same\'