Topic: Christchurch Treehouse of Awesome-Where everyone knows your name

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: RetardoBot;1436618
Anyone else think the writer of this piece is a complete door-knob?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/blogs/david-farrar-by-the-numbers/5799162/A-new-flag-for-New-Zealand

Or is it just me?

No, not at all. A door-knob has a use in society. In saying that I wouldn't be against a flag change, but basing that on the World Cup is just retarded.

Reply #10125 Posted: October 18, 2011, 09:52:10 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!

Reply #10126 Posted: October 18, 2011, 09:58:13 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: winter;1436622
Are you going to be anywhere near the town where they filmed the goonies? I want to live there!

If you do, I'll come visit and then we can go on an adventure for One-Eye Willy's treasure.

Haven't decided on an exact place yet. But it's between California and Portland. California because it'll be easier for the both of us to get jobs, but California isn't an easy place to live in. The people are a bit more abrasive and commuting is a must. Portland because it's close to Seattle (Mrs. hometown) and because the weather (we love gloomy, dark weather). Ideal place is Portland but it's not exactly a Metropolis of job opportunities. On top of that, I have to find an employer who will petition my H1-B Visa.

Growler can come too and he can be Sloth!

Quote from: Obble;1436623
But reinforcing the fact that we're all a sports obsessed nation is cool.

What pisses me off is that the guys main argument is:

Quote from: clueless
"Some may say because the colours and ferns are associated with the All Blacks, so it is being flown just because of that. I don't accept that reasoning, as supporters of all the other countries tended to use their official flag.

Other countries rugby teams aren't excessively branded. All they have to show when presenting their support IS their national flag. The fern is linked to NZ sports teams, thus it is used when showing support for sports teams.

I don't believe it's a good enough reason to change the flag just because it looks like Australia's. If it doesn't represent NZ, then change might be for the better, but not because it looks the same as someone else's.

Agreed Xeno.

Quote from: clueless v2
Like New Zealand, Canada had a historical flag which had served it well over the years, and change in 1965 was resisted strongly by many. But if you asked Canadians today if they would like to dump the Maple Leaf for the old flag, I doubt even 1 per cent would say they regret the change.

Thats because those who were around and in 1965 who were of decent maturity to oppose a flag change probably aren't around to be asked "do you want the old flag back". You'd be asking the new generation who have only known the Maple leaf flag.
Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 10:05:54 am by Retardobot

Reply #10127 Posted: October 18, 2011, 09:59:13 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Anyone got Crysis 2 I can ninja?

Looking for something to fill in the BF3 void

Reply #10128 Posted: October 18, 2011, 10:03:48 am
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
Quote from: Growler;1436631
Anyone got Crysis 2 I can ninja?

Looking for something to fill in the BF3 void

Move to Auckland
steal my external
???
profit.

Reply #10129 Posted: October 18, 2011, 10:18:04 am

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
I think the flag idea would be great. Though i'd like to do it in conjunction with declaring ourselves a republic. We're so far removed from the Mother Country, it's time we stood on our own two feet - even if we are just two poxy islands in the pacific.

Reply #10130 Posted: October 18, 2011, 10:40:56 am
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
I'm open to a flag change.

I just thought the reasoning the guy used in the Stuff article was idiotic.

Reply #10131 Posted: October 18, 2011, 10:46:50 am

Obble

Reply #10132 Posted: October 18, 2011, 10:49:00 am

Codex

Quote from: Obble;1436658
>Stuff

:D

But Obble, Stuff is a reliable source of relevant well written news articles relevant to our interests.
Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 10:55:49 am by Codex

Reply #10133 Posted: October 18, 2011, 10:50:30 am

Obble

Quote from: Codex;1436659
But Obble, Stuff is a reliable source of relevant well written news articles relevant to our interests

I nearly believed you, but the lack of a full stop on the end, was enough evidence of bad troll.

:3

Reply #10134 Posted: October 18, 2011, 10:52:01 am

Offline Growler

Reply #10135 Posted: October 18, 2011, 10:52:32 am
Think of me like Yoda,

Codex

Quote from: Obble;1436660
I nearly believed you, but the lack of a full stop on the end, was enough evidence of bad troll.

:3
Hater

Reply #10136 Posted: October 18, 2011, 10:56:33 am

Offline TofuEater

Quote from: Growler;1436661
But it is1

SEEEEEE

http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/5796503/Brothers-charged-with-stealing-bridge

http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/5782173/Superman-fan-goes-surgery-mad
"Superman is my idol. I want to look like him," Chavez said.

Yeah, but you need to get a heightadectomy, cos you're a midget.

Reply #10137 Posted: October 18, 2011, 11:01:18 am
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
I am not a republican, frankly I don't believe - and nor is there any evidence to suggest ours is a nation capable of governing itself as republic. We simply lack the maturity.

Flag-wise, what could be more relevant than the symbolism already employed within our flag?

Union Jack, Blue for the ocean that surrounds us and the southern cross that guided our ancestors here.

Reply #10138 Posted: October 18, 2011, 11:27:15 am

Offline Growler

Reply #10139 Posted: October 18, 2011, 11:32:39 am
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Quote from: Hori88;1436697
Union Jack, Blue for the ocean that surrounds us and the southern cross that guided our ancestors here.

Oh, but that's so ugly, Hori! It doesn't match my pink Paris Hilton halter top!

Reply #10140 Posted: October 18, 2011, 11:33:23 am

Offline Growler

no crashed plane on the tarmac for you?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6363[/ATTACH]

Reply #10142 Posted: October 18, 2011, 11:47:33 am
Think of me like Yoda,

Codex

Reply #10143 Posted: October 18, 2011, 11:49:11 am

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
Quote from: Growler;1436714
no crashed plane on the tarmac for you?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6363[/ATTACH]

Yeah, I saw that - nuts.

Looks like some kind of test? the way the emergency vehicles are lined up etc etc.. also iirc from Mythbusters - that airport is shut?
could be wrong.

Most likely wrong.

Reply #10144 Posted: October 18, 2011, 11:51:39 am

Offline Growler

no fucking idea.... just random it's on flooglu maps

Reply #10145 Posted: October 18, 2011, 11:51:56 am
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 12:03:06 pm by Speakman

Reply #10146 Posted: October 18, 2011, 12:00:37 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline TofuEater

Area 51 or Mythbusters. But given that Area 51 is in Nevada and this is Oakland, i know which one is more likely.

Reply #10147 Posted: October 18, 2011, 12:09:33 pm

Obble

Quote from: winter;1436720
Yeah, I saw that - nuts.

Looks like some kind of test? the way the emergency vehicles are lined up etc etc.. also iirc from Mythbusters - that airport is shut?
could be wrong.

Most likely wrong.

gong

Reply #10148 Posted: October 18, 2011, 02:39:04 pm

Codex

Reply #10149 Posted: October 18, 2011, 02:40:08 pm