Topic: Christchurch Treehouse of Awesome-Where everyone knows your name

Offline PrinceTuiTeka

• Just settled in
  • PrinceTuiTeka has no influence.
I have had bad experiences with the WD external hard drives. The USB interface they use is brittle and doesn't stand up to small bangs and drops. I know you aren't *supposed* to drop them, but they are portable for a reason and the more you make use of that feature the higher the chance an accident will happen. Never had the actual drive fail on me though.

Reply #12475 Posted: April 10, 2012, 05:20:15 pm

Obble

Reply #12476 Posted: April 10, 2012, 05:31:22 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: PrinceTuiTeka;1479888
RIP Seagate, who were once the gods of optical storage.

wait, what?

Quote from: RetardoBot;1479923
My soon to be Father-in-law has put me on to Hitachi.

So far so good. Running a 750GB SATA2.

I've heard nothing but bad things :<
Any drive is good when brand new.

Also, re WD comment, I've never had any other brand of drive fail on me more than WD.
And they always seem to be about perfectly timed around the warranty running out.

Also with Codex's point about his work:
I'm yet to discover any brand of harddrive that hasn't failed after all the shaking and banging with the earthquakes. My workstation at work is the last out of all of them, and it had it's secondary drive collapse just the other week. Seems to be even if you think you're safe, eventually they crap out much faster than they noramlly would without earthquake help.

My probably higest rated brand of HDD atm would be Samsung. But then I had a rebranded portable one of them clap out on me a few months back too. But generally I've never heard anything bad, appart from the pricing.

Also worth a note however, is that I have never ever had a seagate drop out on me. I'm still running a drive I've had for yonks. However I believe I brought it when seagate were still good. Heard they went shit with firmware a number of years later, and I haven't been back. Especially since the samsung I brought around the same time was dropped about 1.5 meters onto a concrete floor and still hasn't skipped a beat since.
Both drives about 10 years old however. Back in the days when people made shit good.
Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 06:16:57 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #12477 Posted: April 10, 2012, 06:05:32 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline PrinceTuiTeka

• Just settled in
  • PrinceTuiTeka has no influence.
Quote from: Pyromanik;1479972
wait, what?

Haha, whoops! Brain explosion. Fixed!

Reply #12478 Posted: April 10, 2012, 06:25:54 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Hitachi might not be much better, but I have dead WD's and Seagate's piling up here. I have something like 15 HDDs in the house, 5 of them are Hitachi's, and out of the 5 dead HDDs I have, none of them are Hitachi.

Reply #12479 Posted: April 10, 2012, 07:37:26 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!

Reply #12480 Posted: April 10, 2012, 07:39:52 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
WD or samsung. Their HDDs look the best. Which is really what matters the most.

Reply #12481 Posted: April 10, 2012, 08:48:22 pm

Codex

so I got a 60gig backwards compatible ps3, got it home, it's missing the card reader cover but that's cool, case wasn't seated right either as it had fallen before. I ran a full restore on it and it got very hot and very loud. I decided, fuck it, went to ifixit and dismantled the whole thing.

After cleaning out the black sticky dust (like you would find in hornby from raven down)

Cleaning all the tape residue off of the case

Remembering why it was so much better than the second set of fat consoles (The silver actually being embossed silver on the logo and silver foil shinyawesome around the disk tray etc where in the later models it went painted crap silver)

New paste (MX4)

It now runs extremely quiet, stays a lot cooler, and plays ps2 games like a boss (Also the case now sits correctly xD)

GG turners, earthquake stock ftw
Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 09:58:12 am by Codex

Reply #12482 Posted: April 11, 2012, 09:11:51 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!

Reply #12483 Posted: April 11, 2012, 09:42:59 am

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
Mah 60 gigger is still running fine since the day of release. Love it.

Reply #12484 Posted: April 11, 2012, 11:12:52 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Quote from: Spork;1480035
Mah 60 gigger is still running fine since the day of release. Love it.

Oh Shiznit. I remember Buying a 60GB at the same time I bought a brand new Philips 17" Flatscreen CRT.

Oh Philips, you use to be the Monitor top dog, what happen?

Reply #12485 Posted: April 11, 2012, 11:25:01 am

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
Yea, I bought an Acer 17" around the same time, thought it was so cool.

Now I sit here with my 27" Dell monitor and 32" Panasonic TV.

:listening_headphone

Reply #12486 Posted: April 11, 2012, 11:31:26 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

I'd like a new monitor. My ASUS Razor is craptastic. I'd like an IPS panel. Something that I can design on without time wasted on colour correction.

Reply #12487 Posted: April 11, 2012, 11:40:47 am

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
The colour on mah Alienware 120hz jobby is really good, on gaming mode the colour shifts depending on the amount of black or white (which works really well for picking up light greys or different blacks).
Would like an IPS also but I'm not that pimping :)

Reply #12488 Posted: April 11, 2012, 12:20:20 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Quote from: Emrico1;1480042
Would like an IPS also but I'm not that pimping :)

Sez the guy with a 120Hz monitor.

IPS panels are at a good price now.

Reply #12489 Posted: April 11, 2012, 12:38:05 pm

Codex

lol turners, oh you. Sent me an email today saying I could go pick up the item as they've received payment this morning, I'm guessing she didn't check my payment yesterday

Also I noticed how 90% of the males there are over 40 and 90% of the females are 18-25 and remind me of this:

Reply #12490 Posted: April 11, 2012, 01:21:36 pm

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
Quote from: Codex;1480048
...and 90% of the females are 18-25

Tell me more of this place you speak of...

Reply #12491 Posted: April 11, 2012, 01:56:24 pm

Codex

Reply #12492 Posted: April 11, 2012, 03:10:57 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Holy cow.

So, Seagate finally got back to me. They are arranging a free pick up of my drive to upgrade the firmware/logic board and send it back.

WIN.

Reply #12493 Posted: April 11, 2012, 08:13:41 pm

Offline Emrico1

Reply #12494 Posted: April 11, 2012, 08:27:06 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
lulz.

Rumour has it that although they went really shit for a time and that rep is hanging around like nasty stench, they're actually back to being pretty good.

Also, tell me more about this IPS no colour correction biznus.

Reply #12495 Posted: April 12, 2012, 12:13:54 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Currently, I have to spend extra time correcting colours because of my bogus screen.

An IPS panel provides a truer representation of colours.

Reply #12496 Posted: April 12, 2012, 12:53:16 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
once ips is calibrated it shooooooooooooould be closer to accurate. The good ones really are fucking amazing.

Reply #12497 Posted: April 12, 2012, 07:34:42 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Kopfjaeger

• Addicted
  • Kopfjaeger has no influence.
was standing by the beer chiller in PNS Wainoni when that latest EQ hit...good shot of adrenaline, haven't felt one in a while

EDIT:  Pack n Save
Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 06:14:31 pm by Kopfjaeger

Reply #12498 Posted: April 12, 2012, 12:41:24 pm

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.

Reply #12499 Posted: April 12, 2012, 03:07:06 pm