Topic: Christchurch Treehouse of Awesome-Where everyone knows your name

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Pyromanik;1480995
Fuck I hate dicks that book printers before the work is done/proofed.
It's like marketing departments declaring a go-live date when they haven't even come up with any copy for their website, and suddenly expect you to fill it all in, with great detailed knowledge about all facets of their business. Dickfucks.

I do my absolute best when communicating with printers. I bend over backwards for them. The last thing you want is an angst printer when providing them with material to do a run in the thousands.

Reply #12600 Posted: April 17, 2012, 07:44:31 pm

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.

Reply #12601 Posted: April 17, 2012, 11:32:47 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
He's dropping a new Aussie's Loosest Bloke tomorrow.

Cunt wait.

He's my new Dave Chappelle.

Reply #12602 Posted: April 17, 2012, 11:57:15 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
He sounds like my cousin.

Oh and about 6 billion other Aussies.

Reply #12603 Posted: April 18, 2012, 01:16:52 am

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: RetardoBot;1481009
I do my absolute best when communicating with printers. I bend over backwards for them. The last thing you want is an angst printer when providing them with material to do a run in the thousands.

I just click print and away it goes.

Never any trouble with mine.

Reply #12604 Posted: April 18, 2012, 08:22:47 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Quote from: Zarkov;1481054
I just click print and away it goes.

Never any trouble with mine.

I'm a printer whisperer.

Reply #12605 Posted: April 18, 2012, 08:31:44 am

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
You should change your user to Rebot.

Shorter, snappier, and way cooler.

Reply #12606 Posted: April 18, 2012, 10:24:15 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Quote from: Zarkov;1481072
You should change your user to Rebot.

Shorter, snappier, and way cooler.

I'd rather be known as a retard than someone who doesn't know how to spell reboot.

Thank you for the suggestion though.

Reply #12607 Posted: April 18, 2012, 10:28:15 am

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

Robot.

Retarded robot.

Rebot.

It's pretty compelling.

Reply #12608 Posted: April 18, 2012, 10:33:35 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Reply #12609 Posted: April 18, 2012, 10:34:31 am

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
Just don't change it to anything gay like inmotion.

Reply #12610 Posted: April 18, 2012, 10:50:08 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

In the middle of a conversation I was having no more than 5 mins ago, I listed my butt off my chair ready to walk out, forever. BUt decided against it.

Again, the boss gives his son another branding project whilst I, sit here, clear-cutting photos and laying out Yellow Page ads.

Fucking had it.

Reply #12611 Posted: April 18, 2012, 11:17:39 am

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
Are you getting paid any less? If not, then who cares?

First world problems.

Reply #12612 Posted: April 18, 2012, 11:29:58 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Quote from: Super_Hori;1481084
Are you getting paid any less? If not, then who cares?

First world problems.

I'm getting paid $1 more than when I was a second year student, roughly the same as a burger flipper. But that's beside the point and is not my argument.

I fucking care. It's insulting to see someone being given work like this, to be in charge of work when the overseer has no experience. I care about my industry and how it's treated. I see under experienced designers in jobs that they shouldn't be doing, taking on clients they shouldn't be in charge of which destroys this industry because it doesn't take much to anger a client and have them turn their backs on professional work.

I've worked hard, I work weekends and evenings for sub-par pay only to see what I had stepped into this industry for, being palmed off to someone fresh out of high-school with nil understanding of what he is doing.
Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 12:01:02 pm by Retardobot

Reply #12613 Posted: April 18, 2012, 11:56:08 am

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
Lol, I guess you're fair to bitch about it. But I can't say I have much sympathy, the world is not a fair place and to expect anything more than that is foolish.

You could of course attempt to raise the standard, by opening up shop and running a moral or ethical business - but chances are you don't have the capital for a start-up, and the unethical businesses will cut you down anyway. Sounds like your boss needs to school himself up on efficiency, but what's the point in putting up with all the hassle of owning your own firm if you can't abuse it for personal gains (like giving your kid valuable experience) from time to time?

Love that free-market!

Reply #12614 Posted: April 18, 2012, 12:06:46 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Quote from: Super_Hori;1481095
Lol, I guess you're fair to bitch about it. But I can't say I have much sympathy, the world is not a fair place and to expect anything more than that is foolish.

but what's the point in putting up with all the hassle of owning your own firm if you can't abuse it for personal gains (like giving your kid valuable experience) from time to time?

Love that free-market!

I bitch because it's an issue this industry faces more than most.

Inexperienced people being put in charge (or taking charge by starting up their own, half-cocked freelance handle) that in-turn scares off clients. The average client thinks that what a designer does can be done simply by owning a computer. An example was the huge outcry that the nation displayed when everyone found out how much the Telecom re-brand cost. They all thought "hey, I could of done that for $100". No, no you couldn't have.

There's a cavernous difference between giving someone experience and putting them in charge of entire projects which puts a sour taste in a clients mouth.

Reply #12615 Posted: April 18, 2012, 12:14:41 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

Reply #12616 Posted: April 18, 2012, 02:43:33 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: RetardoBot;1481099
I bitch because it's an issue this industry faces more than most.

Inexperienced people being put in charge (or taking charge by starting up their own, half-cocked freelance handle) that in-turn scares off clients. The average client thinks that what a designer does can be done simply by owning a computer. An example was the huge outcry that the nation displayed when everyone found out how much the Telecom re-brand cost. They all thought "hey, I could of done that for $100". No, no you couldn't have.

There's a cavernous difference between giving someone experience and putting them in charge of entire projects which puts a sour taste in a clients mouth.

People always foreget the cost of the colattral when it comes to stuff like that too. What the public knows is that it cost that much to undertake an rebrand. What the public doesn't know is if that's just for design work, or signage on every van, shop window, sign, telephone box, etc. as well.

Also, talk to your boss. Tell him that you're unhappy with your job, explain to him (calmly and with a positive angle) why.

If he's still a retard afterwards, then do as you will. He's obviously a poor business man.

Quote from: Zarkov;1481144
Rebot.

Rebo.

Which sounds better?

Ro.

We could make him like prince, and shorten his name to just: ρ

Reply #12617 Posted: April 18, 2012, 06:50:17 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Quote from: Pyromanik;1481193
Also, talk to your boss. Tell him that you're unhappy with your job, explain to him (calmly and with a positive angle) why.

I can't talk to him about design decisions without him cutting me off 3 words into a sentence, so I have now just learnt to shut my mouth and do what I'm told without questioning anything. I have thought about talking to him and every time I play the scenario out in my head I always arrive at one conclusion, and that's things getting worse than they already are. The 8 - 6 is filled with yelling matches between him and his wife and his kids, so I can see with ease how me trying to talk to him about how things are handled going down pretty badly.

So, this is the last time I complain about things. I just stepped up the job-search today by signing back up with recruitment agencies.

Reply #12618 Posted: April 18, 2012, 07:03:40 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
cool.
Well you've done some sweet work while there. Hopefully you'll fine another without much issue now that you have experience as a senior.

Reply #12619 Posted: April 18, 2012, 07:07:55 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

This is true.

Also, I like Rebot better than Rebo.

Rebo sounds like some Japanese concept robot.

Reply #12620 Posted: April 18, 2012, 07:11:25 pm

Obble

If you could have the design version of my boss, id give him to you.

My boss is pretty fucking awesome.

Reply #12621 Posted: April 18, 2012, 07:15:55 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Quote from: Obble;1481204
If you could have the design version of my boss, id give him to you.

My boss is pretty fucking awesome.

I think this is the first time I've had a dicky boss, I've been pretty lucky so far. My previous boss was like a good friend, so much so I had him around for dinner.

If your boss is a GC, then productivity goes through the roof. For the past week I've slumped in my work ethic because I just can't muster the motivation to continue making the boss look good which is why I am now being proactive about moving on.

Reply #12622 Posted: April 18, 2012, 07:19:28 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

Quote from: RetardoBot;1481202
This is true.

Also, I like Rebot better than Rebo.

Rebo sounds like some Japanese concept robot.

That's settled then.

Reply #12623 Posted: April 18, 2012, 07:34:44 pm

Obble

Zarkov sounds too foreign.

Your new name is Ted.

Reply #12624 Posted: April 18, 2012, 07:39:47 pm