Topic: Christchurch Treehouse of Awesome-Where everyone knows your name

Obble

Quote from: Pyromanik;1495142
Buy one that isn't shitted in the first place?

He's turning into Xsannz m8.

Reply #13700 Posted: July 22, 2012, 09:58:43 am

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
Playing Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3.

Yeaah boiiiiiiii

Reply #13701 Posted: July 22, 2012, 02:31:25 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
I miss games with decent sound tracks like the TS games

Reply #13702 Posted: July 22, 2012, 02:55:40 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Scunner

• Addicted
  • Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...

Reply #13703 Posted: July 24, 2012, 03:10:36 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!

Reply #13704 Posted: July 24, 2012, 03:54:17 pm

Offline Kopfjaeger

• Addicted
  • Kopfjaeger has no influence.
Quote from: Super_Hori;1495077
Bogan Saturday

Wired up 2x 1200w pioneer subs to the stereo, playing pool in the garage and getting leary.

ALSO FOR CHRISTCHURCH PEOPLE, AORANGI BAKERY IS THE MOTHERFUCKING BEST BAKERY IN CHRISTCHURCH.

It used to be Bakery on Bower (somewhere on the east side, who cares) now it's near cnr of Wairakei & Aorangi rds (if you're ever in this shitty area).

fark i use to drive across town for a a steak and mushroom from Bower bakery

Reply #13705 Posted: July 24, 2012, 04:43:16 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
As previously advised I was extremely disappointed at the first draft that was returned to me.  I felt it was very unprofessional.  I was not expecting a masterpiece but believe I could do better on word and a home printer.  It didn’t even have her name!  I believe that to write the words ‘phone, address’ etc in full  is insulting peoples intelligence.  I also felt the  font, graphics and layout were more suitable to a primary school and not even upto scratch for a first year graphics student.  Sorry – this is my rant off my chest but I think it is important that you knew.  

2nd day on the job and I get the most blunt feedback on work I have ever had. Work in question was a business card. Work was checked over before it left the office and adhered to the brief given by the client.

Client is close to being fired.

Reply #13706 Posted: July 24, 2012, 05:33:09 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Quote from: Retardobot;1495476
2nd day on the job and I get the most blunt feedback on work I have ever had. Work in question was a business card. Work was checked over before it left the office and adhered to the brief given by the client.

Oh wow. The only reply to that is to tell them to go elswhere.
Send him this revised atwork
Spoiler :

Reply #13707 Posted: July 24, 2012, 05:51:20 pm

Obble

I fell through a ceiling today, spent most of the day at a&e getting touched by student nurses.

#obblelyf.

Reply #13708 Posted: July 24, 2012, 06:15:50 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!

Reply #13709 Posted: July 24, 2012, 06:24:39 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Emrico1;1495485
Spoiler :

Bro you've got it entirely wrong. $10 says that it was a woman.

Reply #13710 Posted: July 24, 2012, 06:37:40 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Retardobot;1495476

Do you do general design work for various aspects of the uni like start ups at the business school or something?
Here I was thinking that working for Massey would be doing stuff like their research portfolio update for investors and stuff, which would of course have guidelines and whatnot I'd imagine... In which case the business card design thing confuses me.

Quote from: Emrico1;1495485

If I wasn't so confused about the line where Uni guidelines end and Re's job begins, I'd add:
Bonus points for me if it was a Photographer.
Double points for Wedding Photographer.

Fuck I love it when clients get fired. Makes my day.
Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:49:16 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #13711 Posted: July 24, 2012, 06:40:57 pm

Obble

Quote from: Retardobot;1495497
Did your GF come crying to your aid?

Blowies?

Shes only tried blowies once, and it was her first time ever, oh god that was not fun.

Reply #13712 Posted: July 24, 2012, 07:02:49 pm

Offline Emrico1

Quote from: Pyromanik;1495506

I'll take that bet and gift a steam game to that value. Language makes me think man.
Mandouche

@Obble TEEETH

Reply #13713 Posted: July 24, 2012, 07:14:26 pm

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
This thread is enough to put anyone off ever going into the design industry.

I assume there's a heap of clients you have had that were awesome, and it's only the wankel residue you report here. Generally though, it seems like a fickle industry if you're trying to convert peoples ideas from their description into material form. People are fucking morons though, if I was comissioning design work I would put my faith in the PROFESSIONALs rather than my own feelings. Compromise and all that.

Of course you're going to have a vested interest if you're fronting up a lot of money, but anyone who decides they 'could do a better job in Word' should do so.

Reply #13714 Posted: July 24, 2012, 07:55:41 pm

Offline Pyromanik

^ Indeed.
I have some very cool clients, and some clients that get me to do not so cool work, but I don't mind as much because they're neat people.
But with all honesty I can say that those clients are in fact EXTREMELY few and far between. It's absolutely astounding. That said, most fall into the middle ground of neither here nor there. The issue I find most often is that people REALLY do not understand what the hell is going on. You build them something (I of course do technical, not pretty, which I'm sure you know, but in case someone else didn't) and then even though they've agreed to it and signed it off and all that, they come back and go "oh, and what about if we do all this too?". That and non commitment from their end. You build someone a website (which they of course needed urgently), and then it fucking sits on demo for 3+ months because they haven't got any content to put in the fucking thing. WHY DID I BUST MY NUT BUILDING IT FOR YOU!?

Pyro's pro tips for getting design or websites done:

1. Try to understand at least a LITTLE bit about what is going on.
 - for design, that's someone's creativity, not a computer generated graphic.
 - for web, a lot of effort and work went in behind the scenes to make it do that, it's not as simple as "It does this already, so it should be simple to just also make it..."

2. Understand that shit takes time to do.
 - so you want it 5pm Friday? That's be real. It's going to sit in your inbox all weekend. Are you really going to package and send all those flyers in the weekend? Didn't think so. Get off our genitals.

3. Understand that you're paying for time, not for products.
 - Just because you don't know how, doesn't mean it's easy. Similarly, when you want some last minute tweaks, it's time that you're paying for, not your perceived value added. Don't scoff at this, I don't insult your carrer choice while we're having a meeting.

4. Undertsand that while you know your business, we know ours.
 - it takes compromise to make greatness. Give us information, constructive feedback, we're happy to listen and change things. But listen to us when we think something is a bad idea, we know our industry like you know yours.

5. Understand that you need to have some input into it.
 - You wouldn't just get a builder to build your house without signing off the plans, etc. We need you to check stuff, we need you to make up your mind, we need you to give us content, etc.

6. Know what signing something off means!
 - You don't ask a builder to change the configuration of the conservatory you're adding on to the side of your house when he's 80% done...

7. You don't need to see everything done before you know what's going on.
 - Carpet shops don't come and lay your entire lounge so you can consider the carpet, that's what they have selection tiles for.

8. You don't need to have all the latest and greatest!
 - we appreciate you want good design, that's what you're here for, and that's what we're trying to give you. But you can't fit EVERY new fad under the sun into it. Please, control yourselves. You'll likely not end up using most of them anyway. Really how much business do you REALLY get from having your facebook page on your business card? Fuck all, that's how much. I'm not saying it's not important, I'm just saying it doesn't have to be EVERYWHERE. You might think you need it, and that's cool, but refer to number 4 please (along with the preceeding sentance).

Emrico, my out when Re says that it was in fact a man is "No. That 'man' has a vagina. And it's filled with sand ALLLLL the way up!"
Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 09:07:22 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #13715 Posted: July 24, 2012, 08:45:51 pm

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
It's interesting, fo' sho'.

I spose when you're dealing with something like business cards, it sounds like a microbusiness / one-man/woman*TBA*-band (photographer seems a good guess).
Exactly the sort of type who lacks the social skills to interact in a way that's conducive to receiving the best service.

I notice it a lot in IT industry environments too, the lack of social-skills of introverts in these areas often leads to unnecessary conflict or a generally morose atmosphere.

How do you explain to these people that social-interaction is not wholly different to a dynamic information system interface - use the correct inputs (please/thank you / manners), receive optimum outputs?

It's not even about being a well-mannered or polite, nice person. It's just about realising if you speak with a silky tongue and a smile, people are more likely to do things the way you want them.

Reply #13716 Posted: July 24, 2012, 08:57:01 pm

Offline Pyromanik

It's about knowing what to expect.
I know that when I use please and thank you, I'm far more likely to get a nice response (unless I'm in Russia).
Where as with design, people really have NFI about almsot anything. They don't know what they're going to get back with any input, so they begin by feeling jaded and it kinda goes downhill from there.

PRO TIP: What Hori just said is true. Be nice, follow the prompts, have a postitive attitude and good things happen. If you go in expecting to get swindled, even if you don't you'll think you have been. Refer tip 3 in previous post.

Also the other shit client is the one that comes in expecting miracles all the time (like they have this 'revolutionary' idea, it turns out not to be, they blame you kinda thing). Happens quite a bit in this industry; being at the forefront of startups and stuff.

Being a freelancer is a double edged sword. I'm not one, I don't have to deal with clients usually, but I have to do the best I can with whatever I'm given. A freelancer is free to avoid half this shit, but the down side is that you often either really need the money, or that you have to deal with ALL of these shit type clients by yourself (telling them "No thanks, I don't want to work for you", wearing the brunt of abuse, etc.)
Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 09:19:14 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #13717 Posted: July 24, 2012, 09:14:14 pm

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted

Reply #13718 Posted: July 24, 2012, 09:38:14 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Reply #13719 Posted: July 24, 2012, 09:39:38 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Quote from: Pyromanik;1495506
Fuck I love it when clients get fired. Makes my day.

How often do clients get fired. I mean will they even pay you for the work done, or is this all in the contract. I would of expected a response more along the lines of look at the design brief, and see what we were expected to produce, and what was produced. I mean similar shit happens at my work (automation engineering), where part of our work is making up the GUI for operators to use. And the client will come and say can't you change this small visual element, despite it meaning a few days engineering work (as well as previously wasted time).

In an unrelated note, similar thing happened at my work. Where another automation firm had to draw a small part of the GUI for the component they did. And it turned out awful, since they used a lot of rectangles, and flashing bright green animations on everything. Ended up with the client saying his 9 year old daughter could draw a better screen then this, which they didn't take too well, despite it being fair criticism (almost).

Reply #13720 Posted: July 24, 2012, 10:13:25 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Quote from: toofast;1495561
How often do clients get fired.
Not all that often, but when it happens, it's so, so, SOOO sweet! <3

The thing you have to realise is that not all clients pay for things, and not all clients give design briefs. And some are just downright colossal dickbags.

Some clients get their work done, act like retarded over the top hissy fitters while they get it done, then move the site hosting elsewhere. When they come back to use complaining about a slow website, we tell them to re-think their hosting plan (ie, it's not with us, not our problem, YOUR bad decisions at fault here) and see you later. Sometimes it's not a complete cockbag effect, but a convinent escape for us. In effect, a fired client. Some shit you really just don't want to deal with, and you take care of it.

Other times a client gets told to pack up and get out before the design phase is even over. It happens, but yea, not all that often. They basically have to be COMPLETE & entirely unreasonable cockbags.
Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 10:28:37 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #13721 Posted: July 24, 2012, 10:16:27 pm

Offline Spigalau

• Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.
Quote from: toofast;1495561
In an unrelated note, similar thing happened at my work. Where another automation firm had to draw a small part of the GUI for the component they did. And it turned out awful, since they used a lot of rectangles, and flashing bright green animations on everything. Ended up with the client saying his 9 year old daughter could draw a better screen then this, which they didn't take too well, despite it being fair criticism (almost).

We have been called in a number of times to fix issues with 'our product'. One of the worst examples of engineering we have seen (end user was complaining pictures were slow) was a complex screen of the process (lots of animations - 1000+, information overload, flashing colours, etc) and it had 4 large icons on the bottom 1/4 of the screen which showed links to other parts of the process. On digging deeper, the actual icons turned out to be other full information screens which the engineer had grouped and shrunk down, so actual picture had 5000+ animations on it. KISS principles should always apply.

Reply #13722 Posted: July 25, 2012, 08:16:49 am
49 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 6d 65 6d 62 65 72 20 77 68 65 6e 20 74 68 65 20 61 69 72 20 77 61 73 20 63 6c 65 61 6e 20 61 6e 64 20 73 65 78 20 77 61 73 20 64 69 72 74 79 2e

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!

Reply #13723 Posted: July 25, 2012, 11:12:25 am
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
Fuck yes! Was that from the awesome music shop across from Ricc Mall?

Reply #13724 Posted: July 25, 2012, 01:42:07 pm