Topic: Christchurch Treehouse of Awesome-Where everyone knows your name

Obble

Reply #250 Posted: September 27, 2010, 09:27:43 am

Offline trololololo

• Just settled in
  • trololololo barely matters.trololololo barely matters.

Reply #251 Posted: September 27, 2010, 09:37:37 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Went to my parents yesterday.

Dad bought a god awful 60" Vierra 3D TV. It's pathetic because he has it in his lounge (house has 2 lounges) instead of the family lounge.

Reply #252 Posted: September 27, 2010, 09:45:38 am

Codex

yeah all packed up to take it in after work. I hope they just swap it on the spot x.x

Reply #253 Posted: September 27, 2010, 10:16:35 am

Offline trololololo

• Just settled in
If your insurance company is involved thats not going to happen, remember what happened with my tv.

Reply #254 Posted: September 27, 2010, 10:48:56 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: trololololo;1314349
If your insurance company is involved thats not going to happen, remember what happened with my tv.

Doesn't insurance cover this sort of thing? Accidental breakage? I would contest it if you get told no...

Reply #255 Posted: September 27, 2010, 11:00:10 am

Codex

havent got insurance, got a quote just before earthquake x.x

Reply #256 Posted: September 27, 2010, 11:04:04 am

Offline trololololo

• Just settled in
I was meaning in terms of a nice simple swap, they would want to check it out to see if its repairable.

They will always take the cheapest option, I've had to deal with my insurance copy several times in the last year or so with my TV(once, it took about to months to get replacement panel) & laptop (several times, it's now onto its 5 motherboard)

Also
The earthquake killed my TV, EQC told me last week that they are going to pay out shortly. So i'm shopping for a new TV.

Reply #257 Posted: September 27, 2010, 11:29:47 am

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.

Reply #258 Posted: September 27, 2010, 01:50:03 pm

Offline DeeUnit

• Devoted Member
  • DeeUnit has no influence.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/PlasmaTVs+Monitors/PioneerTVs/ci.PDP-6020FD.Kuro?tab=B

We have this, supposedly top plasma screen out there atm. Fucking sex to watch. Picture quality destroys all the lcds/led tv's on display at harvey normans etc.

Reply #259 Posted: September 27, 2010, 01:54:29 pm
I got 99 problems but bein\' a bitch ain\'t one.

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
I doubt you can say that objectively given the viewing conditions etc

Reply #260 Posted: September 27, 2010, 02:06:59 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline DeeUnit

• Devoted Member

Reply #261 Posted: September 27, 2010, 02:17:46 pm

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Sorry, thought you were trying to give an informed opinion, not regurgitating the internets. My bad.

Reply #262 Posted: September 27, 2010, 02:19:31 pm

Offline ChineseKiwi

• Addicted
  • ChineseKiwi has no influence.
Quote from: Growler;1314314
my olds just got a 55" sony, just happens to be the ex500 series.

I was totally under whelmed at its quality. I told them to get a series 6/7 samsung LCD or the new backlit LED for their room. Or to look at a LG. But no, they went for the biggest one they could afford, and now they aint happy with it.

Trust me it's set up right. I just wish you could inject ICC profiles into TVs would make life SOOOOOOOOOO much easier.

Is it calibrated?
I doubt it.
objective measurements don't lie:

Sony EX500 vs. Samsung 7 series LED model (under colours: Calibrated)

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=10&ma1=16&mo1=847&p1=8399&ma2=36&mo2=896&p2=8737&ph=16

Compare other measurements as well and other TVs. You must calibrate ANY display device (TV, computer monitors, projectors)

Review + proper recommended calibration settings:

http://www.digitalversus.com/sony-bravia-kdl-40ex503-p364_8374_16.html

when properly calibrated, it offers the most accurate picture out of any TV for the price apart from the sony ex700 series and high-end Toshiba plasmas (see expensive). Wether you want the most accurate picture is another thing.

Anyway, for the lazy among us:

Image Quality: Expert Mode

To get as close as possible to the original quality of the content you're watching, we suggest you switch to Expert mode and set the backlighting to 3 to get brightness of 200 cd/mē. That removes the filters which attempt to artificially improve the image, and the colours take on a more natural look with a deltaE of 2.4. These settings also gave an excellent contrast ratio, which we measured at over 4000:1 with very deep blacks of 0.05 cd/mē. The last piece of excellent news is that the gamma curve gets back on track too.

Average contrast ratio: 4032:1

When watching films, jerkiness is kept in check by Motionflow 100 Hz. However, we suggest that you leave it in Standard mode as the next level up introduces artefacts. Just like the W5500 and WE5 series TVs, upscaling SD sources to HD loses a little detail and adds a slight blur. Leave this task to your Blu-ray player or PS3, which will do a much better job. When you're showing a HD film though, the quality is impeccable. Watching Blu-ray discs is a real treat.

Reply #263 Posted: September 27, 2010, 02:31:59 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

"trust me, it is setup right".

I think Growler knows a thing or two about calibrating monitors considering he is in the print business.

Reply #264 Posted: September 27, 2010, 02:37:12 pm

Offline mattnz

I think CK knows a bit about the Google/Wiki business.

Reply #265 Posted: September 27, 2010, 02:40:58 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
that site is your reference ?

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=10&ma1=16&mo1=363&p1=4239&ma2=36&mo2=257&p2=3557&ph=18

What should I look for?

The image should be as sharp as possible and contain as much as detail as possible. The lines should be clearly spaced with no blurriness.

Samsung shits on the sony there, way sharper, better contrast.....

what next?

Reply #266 Posted: September 27, 2010, 02:41:20 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline ChineseKiwi

• Addicted
And I've offered objective measurements = a strong case tbh.

Reply #267 Posted: September 27, 2010, 02:42:16 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Quote from: mattnz;1314417
I think CK knows a bit about the Google/Wiki business.

I neg raped you for that, dick.

Reply #268 Posted: September 27, 2010, 02:43:01 pm

Offline ChineseKiwi

• Addicted
Quote from: Growler;1314418
that site is your reference ?

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=10&ma1=16&mo1=363&p1=4239&ma2=36&mo2=257&p2=3557&ph=18

What should I look for?

The image should be as sharp as possible and contain as much as detail as possible. The lines should be clearly spaced with no blurriness.

Samsung shits on the sony there, way sharper, better contrast.....

what next?

Lol, way to use different models. I'm talking aobut the ex500 series. nice poltician move.
In audio-visual stuff, no one brand's products are always better than another brands products, unless you digg the fanboism movement.
You thus compare models between brands.

Reply #269 Posted: September 27, 2010, 02:43:28 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
not my fault the 55" aint on that site, prob cos it gets shat on by the competitors.

Reply #270 Posted: September 27, 2010, 02:47:31 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline ChineseKiwi

• Addicted
Quote from: Growler;1314425
not my fault the 55" aint on that site, prob cos it gets shat on by the competitors.

Models don't differ by screen size. Really. e.g. the 32" EX503 is exactly the same as the 55" ex503.
in computer monitors, the hp ZR22W is exactly the same as the hp zr24w. The dell U2311H is exactly the same as the dell U3011H apart from screen size.
The firmware matters a lot in TVs and tbh, a lot of audio visual equipment.

Reply #271 Posted: September 27, 2010, 02:51:44 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: ChineseKiwi;1314414
Wether

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll47/Ngati_Grim/Norfolk_Horn_wether.jpg
Christchurch Treehouse of Awesome-Where everyone knows your name

Seriously, I love my CRT. Easy to calibrate (WTF? You mean you pay all that money AND you have to calibrate it?) and am glad that I have money left over for alcohol which I then proceed to drink and not care about what's on tv.

It's tough keeping up with the Joneses (Chans?).

Reply #272 Posted: September 27, 2010, 02:51:53 pm
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline DeeUnit

• Devoted Member
Quote from: mattnz;1314411
Sorry, thought you were trying to give an informed opinion, not regurgitating the internets. My bad.

Can't be fucked justifying it son, google it.

Reply #273 Posted: September 27, 2010, 02:53:14 pm

Offline Growler

So CK, how do you calibrate your TV, please enlighten me.

Reply #274 Posted: September 27, 2010, 02:54:15 pm
Think of me like Yoda,