Offline ChineseKiwi

• Addicted
  • ChineseKiwi has no influence.
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;1314429
Quote from: ChineseKiwi;1314414
Wether

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll47/Ngati_Grim/Norfolk_Horn_wether.jpg
Christchurch Treehouse of Awesome-Where everyone knows your name

Seriously, I love my CRT. Easy to calibrate (WTF? You mean you pay all that money AND you have to calibrate it?) and am glad that I have money left over for alcohol which I then proceed to drink and not care about what's on tv.

It's tough keeping up with the Joneses (Chans?).

Come on, it's like calibrating some geological equipment so it preforms better and more accurately.
all display devices should be calibrated, regardless on technology.

Reply #275 Posted: September 27, 2010, 02:54:19 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Oooh, talking about alcohol. We got gifted the contents of a friends liquor cabinet due to them shifting house.

Oh, and I tasted Speights Old Dark last night.

What an embarrassment to dark ale.

Reply #276 Posted: September 27, 2010, 02:54:27 pm

Offline ChineseKiwi

• Addicted
Quote from: Growler;1314431
So CK, how do you calibrate your TV, please enlighten me.

Tbh, it's harder to calibrate my TV due to the firmware settings as it's a low-end Sony model (the parents bought it).
If i were to do it properly, I'd burn a disc of a calibration program and run it through the XBOX.
I've calibrated my monitor usin recommended calibration settings from tftcentral.co.uk and adjusted the gamma to 1.8. (link i'll link up later as i have in in the internet history files at home, currently at uni)

Reply #277 Posted: September 27, 2010, 02:58:12 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
on another note, I have the pleasure of being able to get sideline for the game here on Sat.

Reply #278 Posted: September 27, 2010, 02:58:23 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
So you use your eyes and make a educated guess, is that what you are saying?

Reply #279 Posted: September 27, 2010, 03:00:13 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline ChineseKiwi

• Addicted
Twas a good game too. I saw the highlights on sunday.

Reply #280 Posted: September 27, 2010, 03:00:59 pm

Offline Growler

Reply #281 Posted: September 27, 2010, 03:01:22 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline ChineseKiwi

• Addicted
Quote from: Growler;1314436
So you use your eyes and make a educated guess, is that what you are saying?

Mainly cuz I'm forced too. However if there were recommended settings for that model of TV and objective measurements to back it up, I would calibrate it to that.
As I said, if i was aware of what programs digitalversus uses to get those measurements, I would take time to calibrate it properly using that but yeah, the limited options via the firmware doesn't help (no expert mode etc...). The olds bought in a few years back. It only has 1 HDMI port (yeah, that old).

Reply #282 Posted: September 27, 2010, 03:04:43 pm

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Quote from: DeeUnit;1314430
Quote from: mattnz;1314411
Sorry, thought you were trying to give an informed opinion, not regurgitating the internets. My bad.

Can't be fucked justifying it son, google it.

No, you presented it as your opinion, where in reality you are just echoing the almighty google. Graduated from the CK school of AV, I see. Gratz, son.

Reply #283 Posted: September 27, 2010, 03:07:41 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline Growler

See to me, that's not calibrating, thats just adjusting.

I calibrate my printers and monitors here weekly, some machines here daily. it is all done by precise measurements done by machine, taking things like ambient light & light temperature into consideration.

Reply #284 Posted: September 27, 2010, 03:08:14 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline ChineseKiwi

• Addicted
Quote from: mattnz;1314444
No, you presented it as your opinion, where in reality you are just echoing the almighty google. Graduated from the CK school of AV, I see. Gratz, son.

However if that opinion is right and has strong evidence to back it up, why shouldn't you adopt it as your opinion?
Using critical thinking and the scientific method to form opinions isn't a bad thing....

Reply #285 Posted: September 27, 2010, 03:09:43 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!

Reply #286 Posted: September 27, 2010, 03:09:51 pm

Offline ChineseKiwi

• Addicted
lol what the hell bot?
honestly, I bumped into some Maoris from Auckland on the bus who talked stereotypically like that, only with the word 'cuz'.

Reply #287 Posted: September 27, 2010, 03:12:32 pm

Offline Growler

mate, you missed the guy behind the guy thats fully got the ball, he is so trying to get his balls

Reply #288 Posted: September 27, 2010, 03:13:02 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline ChineseKiwi

• Addicted
Quote from: Growler;1314445
See to me, that's not calibrating, thats just adjusting.

I calibrate my printers and monitors here weekly, some machines here daily. it is all done by precise measurements done by machine, taking things like ambient light & light temperature into consideration.

I'm guessing the amibent light changes thus the readjusting...not sure why you would need to readjust a monitor that frequnetly (see printing industry noob).

Reply #289 Posted: September 27, 2010, 03:19:11 pm

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Quote from: ChineseKiwi;1314447

However if that opinion is right and has strong evidence to back it up, why shouldn't you adopt it as your opinion?
Using critical thinking and the scientific method to form opinions isn't a bad thing....

Fine, but I would expect you to attribute the source.

Not:

Yeah this TV is da bestzorz. It's got way sharper image and everyting than all the ones I saw
Really, how do you figure that?
ZOMG GOOOOOGLE IT!!!!!!!!

Reply #290 Posted: September 27, 2010, 03:20:16 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: RetardoBot;1314433

Speights

embarrassment to alcohol

fixeded

lets get this thread back on track.

what a fucking pearler of a day out there.

Reply #291 Posted: September 27, 2010, 03:21:38 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline DeeUnit

• Devoted Member
  • DeeUnit has no influence.
Quote from: mattnz;1314458
Quote from: ChineseKiwi;1314447

Not:

Yeah this TV is da bestzorz. It's got way sharper image and everyting than all the ones I saw
Really, how do you figure that?
ZOMG GOOOOOGLE IT!!!!!!!!

OH, HOW DID I FIGURE THAT?

WELL, IN THE STORE THEY HAD THAT TV, AND SEVERAL OTHERS THAT SPREAD ACROSS THE TYPES AND RANGES OF TV.

ALL DISPLAYING THE SAME IMAGE.

THIS ONE WAS THE BEST.

Clear enough? I have seen a few pixels in my time.

Reply #292 Posted: September 27, 2010, 03:23:05 pm
I got 99 problems but bein\' a bitch ain\'t one.

Offline ChineseKiwi

• Addicted
Quote from: mattnz;1314458

I didn't say 'Google it' at all :/
Also, it's a bit inpractical to direct you to the source all the time. This isn't academia. This is an internet forum.

derp, derp.

Dee Unit, you know the flaws of in-store viewings right?

e.g. they calibrate only the ones that want to sell to you (see highest profit margin), or more likely they aren't calibrated at all + you'll more than likely buy one that fits your flawed beliefs of a product, wether it's scitifically right or wrong. e.g. fanboism / marketing.

Reply #293 Posted: September 27, 2010, 03:24:13 pm

Offline Growler

Light, temperature and humidity all alter the way colours are printed and printers react and colours are viewed.. Monitors you could probably get away with less, but a simple power off/on of a monitor and the colours change, even if it is just .005%, it's still a change.

It's just safer, that way when client A thinks their monitor is calibrated, and I give them a proof and they complain about colours, I ask them what they are profiled too... 99% of the time they are just like "wtf?" Trying to maintain a 6 coulr printer to pantone, sRGB and hexachrome as closely as is physically possible is damn damn hard.

Reply #294 Posted: September 27, 2010, 03:24:13 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Growler

Quote from: JontyB;1314460

Yep, been a fucking awesome weekend!

I was itching for a beer on Saturday night but no fuckers seemed to be around.

Reply #295 Posted: September 27, 2010, 03:25:44 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Growler;1314466
Quote from: JontyB;1314460

Yep, been a fucking awesome weekend!

I was itching for a beer on Saturday night but no fuckers seemed to be around.

i had a 21st. warm night, whiskey on the rocks went down very well

Reply #296 Posted: September 27, 2010, 03:30:12 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!

Reply #297 Posted: September 27, 2010, 03:31:06 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline ChineseKiwi

• Addicted
If it's anything growler, here are my recommneded settings for my computer monitor source:

Dell 2405FPW

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/eye_one_display2.htm

During the calibration process, the RGB settings in the OSD were altered to 32, 34 and 34 respectively, and brightness was set at 35%

nice pretty graph to boot:

+ used the gamma 1.8 file here: http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Gamma.htm tweaked via ATI catalyst.

Reply #298 Posted: September 27, 2010, 03:33:59 pm

Offline Speakman

Reply #299 Posted: September 27, 2010, 03:36:16 pm