Topic: Christchurch Treehouse of Awesome-Where everyone knows your name

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Quote from: Spork;1347700
It wasn't just that one time.

The store manager said to me that he knows that I am doing lots of work, but the state manager who spends all their time watching our store on camera (serious) doesn't see me running around the store and it doesnt LOOK like I am doing enough work, and I have to make myself look like I am doing more work.

That reminds me of when i used to work in a coffee place. In the afternoon shifts, when nobody was coming in, i would just do a general tidy up of the area (which was part of my job), then sit behind the counter, since obviously if nobody is coming in, its not going to get messy again.

Next day my manager says even though i am doing my job requirements, when its empty, i needed to look more busy and go clean the window sills, do a full clean of the equipment and wipe shelves etc. Its one of the reasons I hated that sort of retail work. Its more about looking busy then doing the work.

Reply #4225 Posted: January 08, 2011, 05:04:00 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
But by looking busy, I would probably end up doing less work.

EDIT: Also, I know I can be a bit of a douche around this place sometimes, but I really do appreciate the kind words people. :)

Reply #4226 Posted: January 08, 2011, 05:07:29 pm

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
  • kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...
Quote from: toofast;1347713

The store manager said to me that he knows that I am doing lots of work, but the state manager who spends all their time watching our store on camera (serious) doesn't see me running around the store and it doesnt LOOK like I am doing enough work, and I have to make myself look like I am doing more work.

That reminds me of when i used to work in a coffee place. In the afternoon shifts, when nobody was coming in, i would just do a general tidy up of the area (which was part of my job), then sit behind the counter, since obviously if nobody is coming in, its not going to get messy again.

Next day my manager says even though i am doing my job requirements, when its empty, i needed to look more busy and go clean the window sills, do a full clean of the equipment and wipe shelves etc. Its one of the reasons I hated that sort of retail work. Its more about looking busy then doing the work.

I think thats actually called work ethic.Who else is going to clean the window sills,do a full clean of the equipment and wipe the selves.Obviously you think you are well within your rights to sit around doing fuck all and get paid for it.Don't look busy ,do some work.

Reply #4227 Posted: January 08, 2011, 05:10:46 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
I once worked for a garage door company.

I was hitting a nail into an offcut 2x4 on the workbench for no good reason.
The boss came in and told me to keep up the good work.

It really is just about looking busy.

Reply #4228 Posted: January 08, 2011, 05:14:51 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
  • kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...
Quote from: Pyromanik;1347720
It really is just about looking busy.

This man knows how to get ahead in life.

Reply #4229 Posted: January 08, 2011, 05:16:36 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
I'd have rather carried on assembling the next cedar door we had, but I was waiting on the steel framing. And the dodgy South African guy I was working with at the time was having a smoke behind another door.
He told me to look busy or the boss would come in and yell at us.
This would have been bad, because the boss had recently implemented a no smoking in the workshop rule.
I was on lookout duty.

(for no good reason, this is pre the years of no smoking in the workplace, plus it was a great big area with a high cieling and no one cared).

For some more background, the boss was a prick who had been through 28 staff in 18 months. An almost complete cycle of members 3 times. Some of them didn't even last a day. We had productivity up 150% from half a door a day to one and a half doors a day. Building the things to order from scratch.

Reply #4230 Posted: January 08, 2011, 05:29:23 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Quote from: kilabee;1347717
Quote from: toofast;1347713

I think thats actually called work ethic.Who else is going to clean the window sills,do a full clean of the equipment and wipe the selves.Obviously you think you are well within your rights to sit around doing fuck all and get paid for it.Don't look busy ,do some work.

Well the cleaners, who get paid for the job, generally clean the window sills. You do a full clean of the equipment at night before closing, since only reason you need to clean it, is to stop it attracting ants etc overnight. As for wiping the shelves, i don't see how they would be dirty, unless the food started moving it self.

This is hardly about work ethic, its about looking busy, to make them satisfied they are paying you for something. Its one thing if i was neglecting my job to sit around and do nothing, and entirely another thing to get the job done fast and efficiently, then sit around.

Reply #4231 Posted: January 08, 2011, 05:31:22 pm

Offline Pyromanik

I had another job where we'd get rewarded for getting stuff done fast and efficiently with a sit around.
We used to play games like indoor soccer, until someone knocked the clock off the wall.
We used to play hackey sack until someone split their groin and couldn't come to work anymore.
So then it really was just a sit around.

Reply #4232 Posted: January 08, 2011, 05:37:38 pm

Obble

GBFL
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/6550/wowscrnshot010811143125.jpg
Christchurch Treehouse of Awesome-Where everyone knows your name

Reply #4233 Posted: January 08, 2011, 05:44:29 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!

Reply #4234 Posted: January 08, 2011, 05:58:44 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
If you wrote a book about gay, and put it in a gay sack, stuffed in a gay box, then put a gay sticker on the front to label it, that picture would be on the sticker

Reply #4235 Posted: January 08, 2011, 06:06:01 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
Quote from: Pyromanik;1347736
I had another job where we'd get rewarded for getting stuff done fast and efficiently with a sit around.
We used to play games like indoor soccer, until someone knocked the clock off the wall.
We used to play hackey sack until someone split their groin and couldn't come to work anymore.

DOLE?

Reply #4236 Posted: January 08, 2011, 06:07:36 pm

Obble

Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;1347748
If you wrote a book about gay, and put it in a gay sack, stuffed in a gay box, then put a gay sticker on the front to label it, that picture would be on the sticker

Says the guy that play bc2.

Typical county folk feeling threatened by any sort of male bonding, It's a shame that these small minded ways infest our country still.

Reply #4237 Posted: January 08, 2011, 06:18:39 pm

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
Quote from: Obble;1347754
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;1347748

Says the guy that play bc2.

Typical county folk feeling threatened by any sort of male bonding, It's a shame that these small minded ways infest our country still.

Quick bro, go save the world! of warcraft.

Reply #4238 Posted: January 08, 2011, 06:52:08 pm

Obble

Reply #4239 Posted: January 08, 2011, 06:56:21 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4929/wallpaper834109.jpg
Christchurch Treehouse of Awesome-Where everyone knows your name

Reply #4240 Posted: January 08, 2011, 07:38:34 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
switch to linux

no directx to deal with then, hombre

Reply #4241 Posted: January 08, 2011, 08:10:10 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Pyromanik

^ OpenGL.
Wine for DX conversion.

Or, if you want to pay a small fee and get better translation and support; Crossover Games.
And by translation, I don't mean spoken/read language.

Quote from: kilabee;1347749
Quote from: Pyromanik;1347736

DOLE?

Moving your fucking computer orders at 1am.
Part of the courier service.

Kinda like playing Battlefield. Shit goes alright most times. But when everyone bands together and works as a team, shit gets dominated like nothing else and suddenly a whole hour before the next plane OR truck.

Reply #4242 Posted: January 08, 2011, 09:05:43 pm

Codex

Reply #4243 Posted: January 08, 2011, 10:30:36 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Codex;1347812
so mad

looool post deleted

Lucky that's all that got deleted.

Reply #4244 Posted: January 08, 2011, 10:37:35 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.

Reply #4245 Posted: January 08, 2011, 10:53:16 pm

Obble

Quote from: Spork;1347820
=O who?

He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named

Reply #4246 Posted: January 08, 2011, 11:13:31 pm

Codex

Reply #4247 Posted: January 08, 2011, 11:14:19 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Quote from: Obble;1347827
Quote from: Spork;1347820
=O who?

He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named

Chillis back????

Reply #4248 Posted: January 08, 2011, 11:34:41 pm

Obble

Reply #4249 Posted: January 08, 2011, 11:42:00 pm