Topic: Christchurch Treehouse of Awesome-Where everyone knows your name

Offline Catalyst

• Addicted
  • Catalyst barely matters.Catalyst barely matters.
yay for being broke

i cant afford rent next week, cant find a job and WINZ are fucking me around...

Reply #5925 Posted: March 09, 2011, 04:44:27 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!

Reply #5926 Posted: March 09, 2011, 04:58:51 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Quote from: Catalyst;1366912
yay for being broke

i cant afford rent next week, cant find a job and WINZ are fucking me around...

Go to  temp agency. If you are competent, they can generally get you a job within a day, after you properly register with them. Assuming you are willing to work any job. Rather than be one of those people who say they can't find work, because they aren't willing to do half the jobs available. Those people piss me off to no end.

Reply #5927 Posted: March 09, 2011, 05:21:50 pm

Offline Who_ate_my_rice

• Addicted
  • Who_ate_my_rice has no influence.

Reply #5928 Posted: March 09, 2011, 05:31:30 pm
( •_•)>⌐

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: toofast;1366923
Go to  temp agency. If you are competent, they can generally get you a job within a day, after you properly register with them.

the problem with this in his case is CHCH is broken. theres very little at the moment

Reply #5929 Posted: March 09, 2011, 05:51:53 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
He's talking about me.

You see, I'm horrible scum for not wanting to work the hours of 12am to 8am every day in a warehouse.

Reply #5930 Posted: March 09, 2011, 06:06:58 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Quote from: JontyB;1366938
the problem with this in his case is CHCH is broken. theres very little at the moment

Oh right, he is in CHCH. Didn't realise. Then i guess he is in a tough situation.

Also rii, wasn't aimed at anyone, just a general POV of mine, because i know a lot of people who complain about how hard it is to find work, despite happily turning down/not bothering with jobs they think are below them.

Reply #5931 Posted: March 09, 2011, 06:24:06 pm

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
Quote from: RetardoBot;1366942
He's talking about me.

You see, I'm horrible scum for not wanting to work the hours of 12am to 8am every day in a warehouse.

You are if the opportunity is available but you opt for the dole instead.

Nobody is too good for a bit of hard work, especially the unemployed.

Reply #5932 Posted: March 09, 2011, 07:36:50 pm

Offline vedds

• Devoted Member
  • vedds has no influence.
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;1366764
Nope, not I.

Here be doppelgangers.

Welcome to ChCh. Hope you enjoy your stay ;)

Hmmmmm suspicious.....

Quote from: Growler;1366769
AEWSOME!

Not as good as Bacon day, but very close!

http://www.steakandbjday.com/

W00T!!!! its on my birthday!

Reply #5933 Posted: March 09, 2011, 07:43:34 pm

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
Quote from: Hori88;1366971

If he is skilled at something else, is it really a good idea (for society) for him be doing manual labour that someone without skills could do?  Particularly when working midnight - 8am would make a job interview (to get a job he's better suited to) pretty hard.  What kind of impression will you make at a 9am or 10am job interview when you've been up that long?

Give him some time and he may find a job which he is better suited to, which will probably involve more money (therefore, more tax) and more job satisfaction.  Win Win.

Reply #5934 Posted: March 09, 2011, 08:38:57 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Hori88;1366971

Shot bro, drugs and booze aye.

Reply #5935 Posted: March 09, 2011, 08:46:26 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: toofast;1366923
Go to  temp agency. If you are competent, they can generally get you a job within a day, after you properly register with them. Assuming you are willing to work any job. Rather than be one of those people who say they can't find work, because they aren't willing to do half the jobs available. Those people piss me off to no end.

Depends on your situation. No one wants to trap themselves outside their career. So why risk it when you're not THAT desperate?
People who only look at one side of a situation piss me off to no end.

Reply #5936 Posted: March 09, 2011, 10:31:31 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Quote from: Pyromanik;1367025
Depends on your situation. No one wants to trap themselves outside their career. So why risk it when you're not THAT desperate?
People who only look at one side of a situation piss me off to no end.

Temp job. As in you aren't locked into the job, and you can literally leave whenever you want.

Anyway my response was just a tip for catalyst, if he needed to find a job fast. I wasn't really commenting on whether going on the unemployment benefit was a valid choice, vs getting a job.

Reply #5937 Posted: March 09, 2011, 11:00:39 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Yep, that's fair enough, but you also forget that physical labour isn't so great when you have physical disabilities.
Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 11:14:35 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #5938 Posted: March 09, 2011, 11:04:31 pm

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
Quote from: BeNZene;1366999
If he is skilled at something else, is it really a good idea (for society) for him be doing manual labour that someone without skills could do?  Particularly when working midnight - 8am would make a job interview (to get a job he's better suited to) pretty hard.  What kind of impression will you make at a 9am or 10am job interview when you've been up that long?

Give him some time and he may find a job which he is better suited to, which will probably involve more money (therefore, more tax) and more job satisfaction.  Win Win.

Yeah but it's not that hard to find a bit of casual work with flexbility in the hours you do - while you're looking for something more appropriate.

Reply #5939 Posted: March 09, 2011, 11:04:35 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Quote from: Pyromanik;1367044
Yep, that's fair enough, but you also forget that physical labour isn't so great when you have physical disabilities.

Well it doesn't have to be a physical job. I mean its not hard to pick up admin/database jobs. You have to be competent with word, excel etc, but assuming you can't take a physical job, i am sure you can make the effort to learn. Even past manual labour/factory jobs (which i must say aren't even that hard, in terms of lifting etc, since everything is on pallets, so you are rarely lifting something over 10kg) and admin jobs, there are a lot of other things you can do. They dont just go you need job, we have job, done. They actually take the time to see what you are suited for etc.

Also whats this 12am to 8am? You rarely find (atleast in my experience), a place that wants you to work those hours. Why? Because thats actually one of the best shifts. You get paid the most, do the less hours, suits most people who need the day free (look after kids, work second job etc). They are extremely popular. Most the time, you will get a day shift (8am to 4pm), which you can get off, if you need to go to a job interview (the concept of the a temp agency, is if you can't work, they should easily be able to find someone else to take your place). I mean obviously you need to be eager to work, because no employer is going to want to keep on someone, who keeps skipping days off work.

Reply #5940 Posted: March 09, 2011, 11:35:48 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Quote from: toofast;1367052
Well it doesn't have to be a physical job. I mean its not hard to pick up admin/database jobs. You have to be competent with word, excel etc, but assuming you can't take a physical job, i am sure you can make the effort to learn. Even past manual labour/factory jobs (which i must say aren't even that hard, in terms of lifting etc, since everything is on pallets, so you are rarely lifting something over 10kg) and admin jobs, there are a lot of other things you can do. They dont just go you need job, we have job, done. They actually take the time to see what you are suited for etc.

Also whats this 12am to 8am? You rarely find (atleast in my experience), a place that wants you to work those hours. Why? Because thats actually one of the best shifts. You get paid the most, do the less hours, suits most people who need the day free (look after kids, work second job etc). They are extremely popular. Most the time, you will get a day shift (8am to 4pm), which you can get off, if you need to go to a job interview (the concept of the a temp agency, is if you can't work, they should easily be able to find someone else to take your place). I mean obviously you need to be eager to work, because no employer is going to want to keep on someone, who keeps skipping days off work.

Wow, you're pretty opinionated about this whole employment market thing huh.
Maybe you should work in a recruitment agency.

Reply #5941 Posted: March 09, 2011, 11:41:57 pm

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
For the record, I don't want anything thinking I'm targeting anybody here.

I come from a big family, and know a fair few drop-kicks, and frankly I see far too many people my age (and older too I spose) who just put their hands out far too fucking quick. People seem to forget that NZ has a cushy welfare system (not as cushy as members of the ACT caucus propagate), and we spend more than we can actually afford on benefits (esp. SuperAnnuation).
Given that hardwork was a part of growing up in a big whanau, and not the wealthiest, I just get frustrated when people aren't really aware of how easy they've got it.

Reply #5942 Posted: March 09, 2011, 11:57:33 pm

Offline Catalyst

• Addicted
  • Catalyst barely matters.Catalyst barely matters.
lol what i have i started here

i have a job interview tomorrow afternoon ! fuck yeah!
also, at the temp job thing, I tried but all they had was physical labor stuff which i cant really do as my knee is fucked

edit, this afternoon :/

Reply #5943 Posted: March 10, 2011, 12:10:29 am

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
fwiw I'm with Hori and toofast 100% on this one.  No-one owes you a living

Reply #5944 Posted: March 10, 2011, 02:40:34 am

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline nick247

• Addicted
  • nick247 has no influence.
You make the decision and that decision is best for you.
If you aren't that desperate then you can wait, but you won't have a lot of sympathy from anyone (not that anyone here seems to be asking for sympathy)

If you are desperate then be prepared to do something about it, because as mentioned, there are options.

In other words, i hate the type of people that choose to do something and then complain about it.
(which noone here is really doing)

Reply #5945 Posted: March 10, 2011, 03:54:33 am

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Quote from: Pyromanik;1367055
Wow, you're pretty opinionated about this whole employment market thing huh.
Maybe you should work in a recruitment agency.

Not really opinionated, more just trying to show a lot of the traditional excuses for why you can't get a job outside your field (can't do physical work, can't work night shifts etc) fall down.  Like woo says, society doesn't owe you anything.

Reply #5946 Posted: March 10, 2011, 07:39:05 am

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Rii is busting his arse trying to get a meaningful job in an area he's qualified.
Of all the thousands he'll contribute in taxes, you'd hope just a little of that could go to some down time finding another job. Rii has been giving a lot to this 'society' you speak of.
There are plenty of people willing to do the menial and shift work, the agencies just want a cut in a hurry from the names in front of them.

Reply #5947 Posted: March 10, 2011, 08:58:17 am

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: toofast;1367076
.  Like woo says, society doesn't owe you anything.

...and that, I contest, is one of the chief problems with our 'society'.

Reply #5948 Posted: March 10, 2011, 09:01:46 am
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline DeeUnit

• Devoted Member
  • DeeUnit has no influence.
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;1367087
...and that, I contest, is one of the chief problems with our 'society'.

Really?

I disagree, there are about 6 other 'chief' problems I can think off the top of my head that contribute more problems to our society than that single thought process.

Reply #5949 Posted: March 10, 2011, 11:39:22 am
I got 99 problems but bein\' a bitch ain\'t one.