Topic: Christchurch Treehouse of Awesome-Where everyone knows your name

Offline nick247

• Addicted
  • nick247 has no influence.
Quote from: RetardoBot;1375744
From a certain background, yeah. Was told that the position was not suited for a graphic designer even though they agreed that I had provided proof of being more than capable for the position.

So many hirers do that yet so many great employees come from differing knowledge/expertise backgrounds. The truth is people can always learn on the job (which is why university always seems a bit useless at times) A lot of the top guys I have talked to over here in Korea have gone into their jobs from only semi related jobs (if that).

Also what costs are you having trouble with? An online presence with a growing list of satisfied customers/proof of your work, should do the trick?

Reply #6500 Posted: April 12, 2011, 06:03:47 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Costs to register as a business.

Printing costs (Business cards etc).

In the scheme of things, small costs, but in comparison to what my bank account consists of, large costs. I've been operating as an individual up until now, and I have been dealing with companies who have wanted some sort of legitimacy more than what I can offer as an individual.

And I find it a fulfilling exercise to become a GST registered business.

Reply #6501 Posted: April 12, 2011, 06:15:26 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
If i won that much money i would buy some sweet camera gear.

Jizztastic setup and a studio.

Then i'd go kill 6 months in the presidential suite at the Burj.

Reply #6502 Posted: April 12, 2011, 06:23:39 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
Quote from: swindle;1375766
If i won that much money i would buy some sweet camera gear.

Jizztastic setup

I was just saying this a few days ago to a mate, would love to just go wild with photography equipment. I mean if you have that sort of money - why not? :P

Reply #6503 Posted: April 12, 2011, 07:29:23 pm

Obble

Quote from: Spork;1375786
I was just saying this a few days ago to a mate, would love to just go wild with photography equipment. I mean if you have that sort of money - why not? :P

Rather spend it on boatsnhoes.

Reply #6504 Posted: April 12, 2011, 11:34:43 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
Quote from: Obble;1375843

I'd do all of the above.

Reply #6505 Posted: April 12, 2011, 11:45:42 pm

Offline nick247

• Addicted
Quote from: RetardoBot;1375764

In the scheme of things, small costs, but in comparison to what my bank account consists of, large costs. I've been operating as an individual up until now, and I have been dealing with companies who have wanted some sort of legitimacy more than what I can offer as an individual.

Registering can be annoying but you are blessed to be setting up in New Zealand. I am thinking of starting a company up in New Zealand as a legitimate entity for other businesses/individuals to make pay for certain work done over here in Korea.

Reply #6506 Posted: April 13, 2011, 12:27:33 am

Offline Virus.

• Devoted Member
  • Virus. has no influence.
Good luck with the business Rii, glad to see you haven't given up. The good news is 'jld' in google puts your site at the top. I was led to a very nice red and black logo. As soon as you get that up I reckon you could do pretty well. Good search results in google = good business.

Reply #6507 Posted: April 13, 2011, 09:44:38 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!

Reply #6508 Posted: April 13, 2011, 09:52:37 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Growler;1375716
You have no balls?

That's what I heard.

Reply #6509 Posted: April 13, 2011, 10:32:38 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Quote from: Obble;1375843

Aw man, I totes read 'boatshoes'

Reply #6510 Posted: April 13, 2011, 10:52:21 am
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!

Reply #6511 Posted: April 13, 2011, 10:58:45 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Codex

wooooooohoooooo less than half to pay on my car ;D

Reply #6512 Posted: April 13, 2011, 11:07:42 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: AvatarFACE;1375708
Who you play for pyro? I always get one major injury every year playing hockey, lost teeth, broken nose, stitches and screwed up knee.
We had our second game of the season on sunday.

Not in your grade chief.
That should have been our second game too (on monday), but we had a bye the first week. Turf space is at a premium!

Reply #6513 Posted: April 13, 2011, 11:12:01 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Good to see you and Mish in the Hovel last night, Pyro.
Dogs were surprisingly well behaved!

Reply #6514 Posted: April 13, 2011, 11:53:02 am
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!

Reply #6515 Posted: April 13, 2011, 11:57:05 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline bitchimom

• Just settled in
  • bitchimom has no influence.
Quote from: RetardoBot;1375764

not much... do it online at the companies office
I distinctly remember an accounting firm offering to register my company for me & present the documentation in a leather binder etc... for around $500. Did it myself online for around $100.
(heh... was gonna find out exactly how much (iirc it's not a huge amount) but got sidetracked into registering on the new companies office website)

pretend you left them at the office for a little while... get their card, say you'll send them an email (and do it)
If you do your job well, further biz will come from referrals/w.o.m. and that doesn't need a card.
Don't rush into getting everything up front - some things can wait a little while, esp if you have a website url you can put in your email sig etc

Having been a one-person company for over a decade now I can tell you that people have a lot more faith in a corporate entity than a sole trader/individual... not that the service etc will change in any way but it sure gives you that legitimacy. And being GST registered works for all concerned... every business likes to offset GST on purchases against their income, and if you're not GST registered then they lose out on that.

You can do it all on a budget... just think about whether you really need everything straight away... work out what you can leave for a few weeks/months until cashflow improves.

Reply #6516 Posted: April 13, 2011, 04:29:46 pm
bitchimom: dirrrrrty girl racer

earthquake refugee since aaaages ago
http://www.rebuildshakeytown.blogspot.com

Offline nick247

• Addicted
That is great advice from bitchi.  

What did you need to register and create your company bitchi?

Reply #6517 Posted: April 13, 2011, 04:33:00 pm

Offline bitchimom

• Just settled in
  • bitchimom has no influence.
1: a name that no-one else has used :)
2: an online account at the companies office website... and then follow the instructions!

Just found the cost to register a company: $153.33 - hasn't gone up too much in 11 years :)

Reply #6518 Posted: April 13, 2011, 04:42:58 pm
bitchimom: dirrrrrty girl racer

earthquake refugee since aaaages ago
http://www.rebuildshakeytown.blogspot.com

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I got a box of 500 business cars from vistaprint.co.nz for $10.

I use them as bookmarks.

The downside is they're based in Europe, and it costs more if you want to use your own design. Might be worthwhile finding someone in NZ to make them.

Reply #6519 Posted: April 13, 2011, 04:59:02 pm

Offline nick247

• Addicted
Hopefully picking up my new business cards tonight. My phone broke so I had to throw out all my old ones dammit. (they were crappy quality though)

Reply #6520 Posted: April 13, 2011, 05:03:16 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Quote from: Spacemonkey;1376030
I got a box of 500 business cars from vistaprint.co.nz for $10.

I use them as bookmarks.

The downside is they're based in Europe, and it costs more if you want to use your own design. Might be worthwhile finding someone in NZ to make them.

I've found a company in the UK who print amazing cards. So I've got no issues with sourcing printers.

Reply #6521 Posted: April 13, 2011, 05:07:14 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Business card pro tip: pay a bit extra for 280gsm matt laminate. They feel sexy.

Reply #6522 Posted: April 13, 2011, 05:07:20 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Quote from: Emrico1;1376036
Business card pro tip: pay a bit extra for 280gsm matt laminate. They feel sexy.

This man knows.

Reply #6523 Posted: April 13, 2011, 05:07:57 pm

Offline nick247

• Addicted
Business card = keep it simple
and make sure to put your position within the company on it.

Reply #6524 Posted: April 13, 2011, 06:13:17 pm