Topic: Christchurch Treehouse of Awesome-Where everyone knows your name

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Man, how sweet is the Governor Generals job.
I'd elect you growler, but unfortunately I wasn't born into an inbred family generations after they were useful, so I can't...

Quote from: Dr Woomanchu;1377750
You're mixing the prime minister who is  the head of the  government and runs the country, and  the head of  state, who is the representative of the constitution. Some systems  have them as the same person ( US) but I prefer when they're separate, a  la Ireland

Oic, Yeah. I did know that, just that I reckon the people are used to the head of the Government being the overall leader.

Either way, the royals, the Union Jack, the constiutional Monarchy and all the corgies in the palace can just fuck right off if you ask me :D
Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 05:54:38 pm by Emrico1

Reply #6675 Posted: April 20, 2011, 05:51:48 pm

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!

Reply #6676 Posted: April 20, 2011, 06:33:04 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Definitely . Messing with Corgis will get you arrested. Then you'll have to appear in court and explain how a corgi was the right size for you.

Reply #6677 Posted: April 20, 2011, 06:36:17 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Obble

Broadcaster Kerry Smith has passed away following a battle with cancer.

Reply #6678 Posted: April 20, 2011, 06:44:49 pm

Offline desertergreg

• Devoted Member
  • desertergreg has no influence.
i dont mean to butt into Christchurch and its arguments foar or mostly against the British monarchy, but here i am, so I reckon surely without a British monarchy the face of history would be largley different and potentially much worse off? perhaps not, but Britain certainly wouldn't have conquered the world and you and i would not be chatting politely in english from various parts of this particular island...

i might add that science came a long way thanks to many an idle pastor/priest in the last 300 years in all...

...which one was Kerry Smith?

Reply #6679 Posted: April 20, 2011, 07:50:50 pm
Quote from: Nostargate;1363344
I roofled once, it was a party.....i was young and naive.....................................

Obble

Quote from: desertergreg;1377785
...which one was Kerry Smith?

Dunno, but Grim should stop stealing Emricecakes account :p

Reply #6680 Posted: April 20, 2011, 08:12:59 pm

Offline desertergreg

• Devoted Member
  • desertergreg has no influence.

Reply #6681 Posted: April 20, 2011, 09:05:29 pm
Quote from: Nostargate;1363344
I roofled once, it was a party.....i was young and naive.....................................

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Am I the only honest person left in the job market?

People seem to get positions when they lie through their teeth or when they happen to have a friend of a friend who simply just offers them the position. Regardless if they are capable or qualified for it.

somad.

Reply #6682 Posted: April 21, 2011, 01:34:53 pm

Obble

Quote from: RetardoBot;1377925
Am I the only honest person left in the job market?

GOTTA FAKE IT TILL YA MAKE IT MATE :(

Reply #6683 Posted: April 21, 2011, 02:05:56 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Just lie, lie, and lie some more. But it does suck, when you see people getting jobs, through a friend of a friend.

Reply #6684 Posted: April 21, 2011, 04:14:37 pm

Offline bitchimom

• Just settled in
  • bitchimom has no influence.
Quote from: Growler;1377760
id do it, you can all crash at my pad, have wicked lans and serving wenches, and 1 serving man wench for bitchi and chodsex.

tell chodsex to get his own, serving man wench is miiiiiiiiiiiine

thank fuck it's semi-Friday. I need a long weekend without students to get stuff done... must remember to stop and relax occasionally.
oh yay and that's woohoo pulling up outside.. gonna go make coffee :cool:

don't forget to come round for another latte sometime G!

Reply #6685 Posted: April 21, 2011, 05:02:32 pm
bitchimom: dirrrrrty girl racer

earthquake refugee since aaaages ago
http://www.rebuildshakeytown.blogspot.com

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
I might take you up on that this easter ;)

Kids and mum went to akaroa today, come back next weds, im working tomorrow and sat, will head over on sunday. You round fri/sat arvo?

Reply #6686 Posted: April 21, 2011, 05:34:56 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!

Reply #6687 Posted: April 21, 2011, 05:39:22 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline nick247

• Addicted
  • nick247 has no influence.
Quote from: toofast;1377958
Just lie, lie, and lie some more. But it does suck, when you see people getting jobs, through a friend of a friend.

Retardo doesn't need to lie. He is getting interviews and be recognised as skilled despite the hole he lives in. Eventually you will get there dude and maybe sometime in the future the opportunity to move will come up and you can take it.

Reply #6688 Posted: April 21, 2011, 06:31:26 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: nick247;1377996
Retardo doesn't need to lie. He is getting interviews and be recognised as skilled despite the hole he lives in. Eventually you will get there dude and maybe sometime in the future the opportunity to move will come up and you can take it.

Thanks Nick.

I'm still waiting to hear back about an interview I attended on Monday about a design position.

I'm beginning to think that working your ass off isn't what gets you a job these days.

Reply #6689 Posted: April 21, 2011, 06:55:01 pm

Offline bitchimom

• Just settled in
  • bitchimom has no influence.
nah... lying your ass off gets people jobs, working your ass off helps you keep it

Reply #6690 Posted: April 21, 2011, 07:13:23 pm
bitchimom: dirrrrrty girl racer

earthquake refugee since aaaages ago
http://www.rebuildshakeytown.blogspot.com

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Heh,

I'll have to remember that for the next interview.

Reply #6691 Posted: April 21, 2011, 07:19:19 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Quote from: nick247;1377996

The thing is the job recruiters are stupid at times. Say the job is for X, and looking for someone who has worked with Y. And say reatardo has worked with Z a lot, and is extremely accomplished. And given how closely related Y and Z are, plus him being a good learner, he thinks he can still do the job well. So the job recruiter may look at his CV, be suitably impressed, but decline it purely because he doesn't have Y, and go for a inferior worker, just because he has Y (which he possibly could of lied about). You should ofcourse lie within your ability. Dont say you are professional at Y, because as soon as you get the job, you will get called out on it. But you can say you have worked with Y, as you apply, then start learning about it, so when they call you up for the interview, you will actually have some of the knowledge you lied about.

And on a unrelated "why job recruiters suck", http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10720394

EDIT: Bitchi's succinct post beats my wall :<

Reply #6692 Posted: April 21, 2011, 07:21:42 pm

Offline smegmacheese

• Devoted Member
  • smegmacheese has no influence.
I can usually catch people that are lying about their quals or experience within a few minutes of an interview.  Not difficult to entrap someone within their own stupidity, often they don't even realise what just happened.

As an employer I give people a chance from their initial quals even if their interview isn't too flash. A lot of the bling bling people I have interviewed seem to lack substance.  Once employed I value peoples' ability to work independently, be active learners, and follow company rules to the most part.

One employee was let go last week as she was unable to adapt to what we needed, she kept trying to impose her style of work which my partner and I are firmly opposed to on our business model.  We protected this employee to some degree from client wrath, but in the end there were just too many complaints about her crappy methodology.  We tried meeting, modelling, and discussion, but a prima donna always knows best.

Possibly some people don't really understand when a laissez-faire style boss asks them to do something, they need to do it due to working with generally authoritarian management in other placements.

Reply #6693 Posted: April 21, 2011, 07:48:03 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Good perspective, toofast.

The interview was almost identical to that on Monday.

Spoiler :
The Managing Director was really supportive. There were a few things I couldn't tippy toe around so was honest but was encouraged with responses like "that's OK, it doesn't take much to bring you up to speed". However, the 2nd member interviewing me was really upfront in what they were asking me and really easily saw between every nook and crack so it was hard to make myself sound appealing in the face of something that I had no immediate experience in.

I am on good grounds I believe with questions like "is your hand writing neat, am I going to be able to read it when you fill out time sheets" being asked of me. Previous design firm I worked at have a working relationship with the place I have applied at as well, along with a glowing letter of recommendation from them which illustrates that I have an impressive technical ability to research ideas and understand them without immediate experience.

But, like always, there is usually someone better than you, so I am hoping that my passion, honesty and love for what I do (as well as more than satisfactory quals.) stood out and they give me a chance to show them I can rise to whatever is thrown at me.
Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:57:48 pm by Retardobot

Reply #6694 Posted: April 21, 2011, 07:54:25 pm

Offline nick247

• Addicted
Sounds like you need to do whatever you can to put some independant experience under your belt. So you have a large vault of proven work to put infront of them. That should be the thing you are on good grounds showing/talking about.

Reply #6695 Posted: April 21, 2011, 08:46:56 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

I have a ton of independent work. It's what I showed them (as well with worked created with firms).

My inexperience comes from not being involved in the start to finish process with clients with big jobs.

Reply #6696 Posted: April 21, 2011, 09:03:30 pm

Codex

Reply #6697 Posted: April 21, 2011, 11:10:13 pm

Offline nick247

• Addicted
Quote from: RetardoBot;1378031
I have a ton of independent work. It's what I showed them (as well with worked created with firms).

Nice dude, I wouldnt worry then. Just keep taping away at it and you will get something eventually.

Reply #6698 Posted: April 22, 2011, 02:56:54 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Reply #6699 Posted: April 22, 2011, 07:48:32 am