Topic: Christchurch Treehouse of Awesome-Where everyone knows your name

Codex

Quote from: Benji77;1383076
RAID5 will let one drive fail and keep the data. RAID6 will let you loose two.

Better than having it on a single drive and it failing.

Wut

nowai

$450 usd for an 8 port raid 6 controller lol ouch -_-

not really sure what I can do

Reply #6975 Posted: May 13, 2011, 04:55:10 pm

Offline Benji77

• Addicted
  • Benji77 has no influence.
Quote from: Codex;1383196
Wut

nowai

$450 usd for an 8 port raid 6 controller lol ouch -_-

not really sure what I can do

I spent that on a 4port.

If your going down the RAID card track get a decent one. I was using a $50 one for a bit running a raid5. One drive failed and I lost all my data! That wasn't suppose to happen you stupid thing!

Reply #6976 Posted: May 13, 2011, 05:00:41 pm
Arrrr!!! I\'m a Pirate!

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
Linux + software raid maybe??

http://linux.yyz.us/why-software-raid.html

since its a NAS, its no problem for the CPU to do the work for you, instead of a dedicated card

more info:
http://www.sanitarium.net/golug/Linux_Software_RAID.html

What is the difference between hardware and software RAID?
In hardware RAID all of the RAID functionality is provided by a RAID controller (usually a PCI card or external chassis connected to a SCSI controller). You connect disks to the RAID controller and setup the array within its BIOS. The controller then exports a virtual disk to the OS that can be partitioned and formatted. You will need drivers for your OS to access the card and you will need user level tools to monitor and maintain the array. These drivers and tools depend on which controller you are using. In software RAID you take a bunch of regular disks, partition them, and use the md driver in the Linux kernel to create a RAID array on a set of the partitions. It is important to note the difference where in hardware RAID you partition the array while in software RAID you RAID the partitions.

could be worth a try

Reply #6977 Posted: May 13, 2011, 05:03:50 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Codex

mmmm still not sure on it, any hard drives ive had fail have always managed to get the data off of them with various recovery methods. Having 4x2tb's and one of them being used for parity seems a bit annoying but still more secure I suppose

undecided.

Where to buy controllers from? CL ones are ridiculously expensive lol

EDIT: Don't want to touch linux with this. Would rather use w7 or w2k8r2. Anyone had a play with home server? Windows DE looked very interesting

Reply #6978 Posted: May 13, 2011, 05:05:14 pm

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Striped with parity also has pretty much the same preformance gains as RAID0 as well.

Reply #6979 Posted: May 13, 2011, 05:10:55 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Codex

performance isn't a huge issue, considering its just streaming content on gig lan. Not doing much off of that demanding application wise.

Reply #6980 Posted: May 13, 2011, 05:12:52 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
When you're playing a video on say Youtube, what is the thing called which shows you where you are upto in the video?

Reply #6981 Posted: May 13, 2011, 05:16:40 pm

Codex

Reply #6982 Posted: May 13, 2011, 05:21:36 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.

Reply #6983 Posted: May 13, 2011, 05:23:25 pm

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Quote from: Codex;1383204
performance isn't a huge issue, considering its just streaming content on gig lan. Not doing much off of that demanding application wise.

Maybe JBOD?

Reply #6984 Posted: May 13, 2011, 05:23:36 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline Benji77

• Addicted
  • Benji77 has no influence.
Quote from: Codex;1383202
Where to buy controllers from? CL ones are ridiculously expensive lol

Best to get it off ebay. Will pay heaps more for them in NZ

Reply #6985 Posted: May 13, 2011, 05:27:21 pm
Arrrr!!! I\'m a Pirate!

Codex

lol that raid5 song:
10 TB of disk on the wall, 10 TB of disk
You take one down
Pass it around
10 TB of disk on the wall!

10 TB of disk on the wall, 10 TB of disk
You take one down
Pass it around
0 TB of disk on the wall!

Reply #6986 Posted: May 13, 2011, 06:27:50 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
I do not understand people whom ask for re tweets from famous people and sports stars.

Gina_Fabregas14 georgina bird
by jack_wilshere
@jack_wilshere a RT would me the world to me and my family to celebrate my mum and dads wedding tomorrow. How about it?

Seriously?

Reply #6987 Posted: May 13, 2011, 08:38:17 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
i don't understand why so many people think twitter is a god send...

Reply #6988 Posted: May 13, 2011, 08:47:00 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Yea, I do go on there every now and then (once a month or less than) and look over a couple of footballers profiles just to see what they say about certain in-game calls and why they lost or won or what ever, but some people seem to obsess over it.

There is one guy whom I know who makes football videos on Youtube, and one of the footballers whom he made a video of (Robin Van Persie) Tweeted about the video, and this guy went crazy saying it was the best day of his life - no sarcasm about it....

Reply #6989 Posted: May 13, 2011, 09:09:21 pm

Codex

Reply #6990 Posted: May 13, 2011, 09:10:32 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
twitter - more entertainment and info on things that interest you and less farmville requests and douchebags doing blue steel.

Reply #6991 Posted: May 13, 2011, 09:12:29 pm

Offline Speakman

HEY. blue steel is a legitimate way to look both cool and serious!

Reply #6992 Posted: May 13, 2011, 09:14:54 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Quote from: Emrico1;1383263
twitter - more entertainment and info on things that interest you and less farmville requests and douchebags doing blue steel.

I do not see LESS blue steel as being a selling point.. :P

As I said, I use Twitter every now and then, I don't have an account on it, but it is nice to see that some famous people are actually human.

Reply #6993 Posted: May 13, 2011, 09:15:12 pm

Offline Speakman

If i used it, i'd follow stuff that interests me, i mean thats its purpose.

i definately wouldn't get fanactical about getting someone to follow/mention me, and i sure as hell wouldn't use it as a 'microblog'

Reply #6994 Posted: May 13, 2011, 09:16:51 pm

Offline nick247

• Addicted
  • nick247 has no influence.
Isnt twitter pretty much what we already do here but vastly more brainless.

Arent reposts pretty much the quote function with an implied smiley underneath?

Reply #6995 Posted: May 13, 2011, 09:24:04 pm

Offline nick247

• Addicted
  • nick247 has no influence.
Quote from: JontyB;1383272
If i used it, i'd follow stuff that interests me, i mean thats its purpose.

i definately wouldn't get fanactical about getting someone to follow/mention me, and i sure as hell wouldn't use it as a 'microblog'

lol ;)

Everyone read this post again, i loled at it and i am telling you all.

Reply #6996 Posted: May 13, 2011, 09:25:05 pm

Codex

Reply #6997 Posted: May 13, 2011, 09:29:22 pm

Offline Speakman

Quote from: Codex;1383279
i also lol'd

Im quoting this so that everyone I know knows you lold

Reply #6998 Posted: May 13, 2011, 09:43:51 pm

Codex

I'm not quite sure why I lol'd

Nick told me to on twitter so I did

Reply #6999 Posted: May 13, 2011, 09:51:30 pm