Topic: Christchurch Treehouse of Awesome-Where everyone knows your name

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
What about you Ri... you getting your portfolio out there?

Reply #19600 Posted: March 24, 2014, 02:44:40 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!
So the thing about having your own place, is not knowing what you don't have (valid double negatives FTW). I go to get a mixing bowl - don't have one of those... Shit, can't make cake with the kids etc. (Luckily 1-day had a sale on them today!).

Reply #19601 Posted: March 24, 2014, 03:17:04 pm
Maybe if i just click this.....shit...DV gonna be maaaaad!

Codex

heh if I could afford to live in my place by myself I would, would rather live in box single room apartment alone in the city than a 3 bedroom place with other people in the burbs any day.

Might have some kitchen stuff to sell if you need some arsey

Reply #19602 Posted: March 24, 2014, 03:47:51 pm

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
So the thing about having your own place, is not knowing what you don't have (valid double negatives FTW). I go to get a mixing bowl - don't have one of those... Shit, can't make cake with the kids etc. (Luckily 1-day had a sale on them today!).

That eventually changes into not knowing what you do have, and you end up with several assorted mixing bowls and nowhere to put them..

Reply #19603 Posted: March 24, 2014, 04:10:57 pm
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Codex

That eventually changes into not knowing what you do have, and you end up with several assorted mixing bowls and nowhere to put them..

My fucking garage atm

So many tools and stuff I want to keep, but have nowhere to put them :/ will be selling a lot in the next week -____-

Reply #19604 Posted: March 24, 2014, 04:27:21 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
What about you Ri... you getting your portfolio out there?

Not yet.

Dealing with a cluster-fuck at work.

Those in charge outsourced a very high profile document to be designed. We (the in-house studio) got given a design template from the outsourced studio and were told to inject content into.

We did. Those in charge signed off, went to print.

Big boss man saw it after never being shown digital proofs that I had been giving to 'those in charge' all the way through the process and not once did big boss man give the sign off during the outsourced stage, and when he saw the printed product, he flipped his shit and we've taken the blame for a bland, boring document that we never designed and weren't allowed control over.

Zzzzz.

Reply #19605 Posted: March 24, 2014, 05:43:47 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
ahhhh dont you just love useless cunts like that!

Reply #19606 Posted: March 24, 2014, 06:02:55 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Codex

Not yet.

Those in charge outsourced a very high profile document to be designed. We (the in-house studio) got given a design template from the outsourced studio and were told to inject content into.

Big boss man saw it after never being shown digital proofs that I had been giving to 'those in charge' all the way through the process and not once did big boss man give the sign off during the outsourced stage, and when he saw the printed product, he flipped his shit and we've taken the blame for a bland, boring document that we never designed and weren't allowed control over.

Zzzzz.
Saw where this was going one sentence into that story, so fucking stupid. Hope you guys sort it out -___-.

And lazy cunts.

Installed new freeview antenna on my place for tenants when I get some, hook it up, go to test the outlet on wall. Turns out the outlet on the wall leads to a cable that goes to the master bedroom. The antenna cable is buried in the wall with no fucking outlet. So going to have to run a new one -____- aint got time for that shieeettttt sigh.

Does any chch guy was the warhammer online collectors edition art book and graphic novel, and figure, I have the whole set still and only used the keys but need to get rid of it due to bulk

Reply #19607 Posted: March 24, 2014, 06:46:19 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Not yet.

Zzzzz.
Saw where this was going one sentence into that story, so fucking stupid. Hope you guys sort it out -___-.

And lazy cunts.

Installed new freeview antenna on my place for tenants when I get some, hook it up, go to test the outlet on wall. Turns out the outlet on the wall leads to a cable that goes to the master bedroom. The antenna cable is buried in the wall with no fucking outlet. So going to have to run a new one -____- aint got time for that shieeettttt sigh.

Does any chch guy was the warhammer online collectors edition art book and graphic novel, and figure, I have the whole set still and only used the keys but need to get rid of it due to bulk

Warhammer or Warhammer 40k?

Reply #19608 Posted: March 24, 2014, 08:28:51 pm

Codex

Warhammer. Not 40k.

Reply #19609 Posted: March 24, 2014, 08:34:25 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
I had a test on state space equations tonight.

So I spent all weekend studying.

Now we're talking about going to the race track tomorrow for a hoon on the bikes, but rain also. so maybe not.

Reply #19610 Posted: March 24, 2014, 10:03:23 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
ALSO MOTOGP!

Reply #19611 Posted: March 24, 2014, 10:03:31 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
First day back at work. So sloooooowwww. Urgh.
I was really looking forward to getting back into it. But now I'm there I feel directionless.
Just gotta figure out which problem to solve I guess. Focus is needed.

Reply #19612 Posted: March 25, 2014, 08:55:20 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Codex

Oops almost missed these posts.

http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/courseinfo/GetCourseDetails.aspx?course=EMTH118&occurrence=14S2(C)&year=2014 emth118
http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/courseinfo/GetCourseDetails.aspx?course=PHYS101&occurrence=14S2(C)&year=2014 phys101
http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/courseinfo/GetCourseDetails.aspx?course=CHEM111&occurrence=14S2(C)&year=2014 chem111
+japanese

Why can't you sit those papers?

Want to do comp eng, so chem isn't required. EMTH118 would be good but apparently, according to them, they won't let me do it without MATH101 being passed first. Same with PHYS101, or doing PHYS111 first.

S2 could do COSC121, JAPA108, but that would only add up to part time study. Seems pointless when regardless of doing these i'd still be required to take the full year next year to fill all the spaces.

They insisted the only way I could cut anything from next year would be if I did their CUP course, pass well, and get a big maybe to skipping phys111 and math101, then I wouldn't have to do SS as PHYS101, EMTH118 would be pushed back to S1, and phys102, emth119 pushed back to s2. Seems a lot to bank on a maybe when i've already been misguided thus far by them.

So not sure what to do really.

I have taken cosc121 and jap culture. Neither are a waste of time.

ps 121 is called 123 in s2, because UC is fucked up like that.

Both interest me, but as above -____-.

Is there a way to see who's replied to your posts on this forum anymore? Pain in the ass digging up topics or subs -___-

Reply #19613 Posted: March 25, 2014, 09:00:09 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Want to do comp eng, so chem isn't required. EMTH118 would be good but apparently, according to them, they won't let me do it without MATH101 being passed first. Same with PHYS101, or doing PHYS111 first.

S2 could do COSC121, JAPA108, but that would only add up to part time study. Seems pointless when regardless of doing these i'd still be required to take the full year next year to fill all the spaces.

They insisted the only way I could cut anything from next year would be if I did their CUP course, pass well, and get a big maybe to skipping phys111 and math101, then I wouldn't have to do SS as PHYS101, EMTH118 would be pushed back to S1, and phys102, emth119 pushed back to s2. Seems a lot to bank on a maybe when i've already been misguided thus far by them.

So not sure what to do really.

I have taken cosc121 and jap culture. Neither are a waste of time.

ps 121 is called 123 in s2, because UC is fucked up like that.
Both interest me, but as above -____-.

Is there a way to see who's replied to your posts on this forum anymore? Pain in the ass digging up topics or subs -___-

So do the lower level papers, do CUP. Do chem114, chem111, do engr102 (fucking hard paper to get, but once you get it, I promise you will see the world in a different way) do biology to pad out your your points.

Don't do arts papers, they're formatted completely differently and full of lecturers and markers who will pass you if your report looks 'nice'.

To be honest fella, I really don't mean to be harsh and I understand you've had it rough lately, but if you're already of the attitude 'can't be bothered', 'not interested', 'waste of time', 'don't want to be in Christchurch' you won't make it. To succeed in this degree you need to be in a very healthy mental state, and you need to stay there no matter what happens. You're a clever guy we all know that, you definitely have the smarts to get through, but I don't think you're in the right space at the moment to take it on. And moving to auckland or waikato (lol) to do engineering there won't make a lick of difference in my opinion. Personally I'm not even in Christchurch, I'm in the engineering building, and if I'm not there, then I'm in my study, or bed. But I don't really care where you do engineering, Auckland is about 95% as good as Canty and Waikato is....well it's okaaaaay....But if you think moving away from Christchurch will put you into that better mental state then do it.

Man I wish I could do chem114 again, fun labs, colourful things. Printed notes, 1 test, 1 exam, all the information is on google (as you go up in the years, the number of people like you decreases, so the amount of information on the internet decreases too).

Turn your frustrations into drive, get hungry for information and learning. When someone starts bleating on about water powered cars, smack them up with a redox equation. Oh fuck son, it takes a tonne of energy to get hydrogen out of water. Holy fuck batman, look at all the energy you get out of hydro-carbons! No fuckin' wonder we use petrol and not water!

Also building a race car, and someone else is paying the bills. Doesn't get awesomer than that. "Yeah, I built a race car".

Reply #19614 Posted: March 25, 2014, 11:21:10 am

Codex

So do the lower level papers, do CUP. Do chem114, chem111, do engr102 (fucking hard paper to get, but once you get it, I promise you will see the world in a different way) do biology to pad out your your points.
They didn't exactly sell me on CUP with their advice of "well it might be worth doing, since you might this and might that etc" but if the CUP course is actually good then i'd do it. I don't know anyone that has done it and couldn't find much for or against it so wasn't sure. Although don't think I can do CUP and S2 papers from what i've read :S. ENGR102 looks rad o:.

The other point is though, would I benefit more from doing the lower level courses and engr102 or doing CUP this year (in the Nov-Feb spread so can actually get monies) then take engr102 next year hmm.

Don't do arts papers, they're formatted completely differently and full of lecturers and markers who will pass you if your report looks 'nice'.
Like the Japa cult paper? :S

To be honest fella, I really don't mean to be harsh and I understand you've had it rough lately, but if you're already of the attitude 'can't be bothered', 'not interested', 'waste of time', 'don't want to be in Christchurch' you won't make it. To succeed in this degree you need to be in a very healthy mental state, and you need to stay there no matter what happens. You're a clever guy we all know that, you definitely have the smarts to get through, but I don't think you're in the right space at the moment to take it on. And moving to auckland or waikato (lol) to do engineering there won't make a lick of difference in my opinion. Personally I'm not even in Christchurch, I'm in the engineering building, and if I'm not there, then I'm in my study, or bed. But I don't really care where you do engineering, Auckland is about 95% as good as Canty and Waikato is....well it's okaaaaay....But if you think moving away from Christchurch will put you into that better mental state then do it.
Fair points, not harsh really. Waste of time refers to the fact that when I went in if I had've been aware of what i've been informed of now upon revisiting to organise properly doing things I would have dropped everything back then and got into S1, even though it would have been a nightmare financially, but now it seems like i've wasted like half a year.

I can definitely be bothered doing the work required to get through it once actually in it, I just really can't be bothered/am not interested in dealing with misleading information, as an example the information you've given me has already been infinitely more useful than the information given to me by the dept. itself or liason lol.

The city isn't the issue, when I move it will be out of NZ. Have managed to organise a pathway out that's flexible now though (as of today), which means I don't have to worry as much about the age timeline, one less thing to stress about. So you're right, moving to Auckland or Waikato (which no force on Earth could make me do) wouldn't help anyway. I'd take study overseas if I could afford D;

Man I wish I could do chem114 again, fun labs, colourful things. Printed notes, 1 test, 1 exam, all the information is on google (as you go up in the years, the number of people like you decreases, so the amount of information on the internet decreases too).
I really enjoyed chem in senior years of HS hah. Something to definitely consider, for electives too. The Uni massively tried to discourage Jap as an elective lol.

Turn your frustrations into drive, get hungry for information and learning. When someone starts bleating on about water powered cars, smack them up with a redox equation. Oh fuck son, it takes a tonne of energy to get hydrogen out of water. Holy fuck batman, look at all the energy you get out of hydro-carbons! No fuckin' wonder we use petrol and not water!

Also building a race car, and someone else is paying the bills. Doesn't get awesomer than that. "Yeah, I built a race car".
Lol yeah that's pretty awesome, can't top that really o:. Good points though.

Thank you for what you've advised so far, as said, infinitely more useful than anyone/anything else i've read.

Many things to consider. For now will get renting my place out sorted first. One thing at a time is probably best. Moving out this week and next week and finishing doing the place up for low maintenance mode x____x damn you collect a lot of shit over the years

Reply #19615 Posted: March 25, 2014, 12:21:24 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Many things to consider. For now will get renting my place out sorted first. One thing at a time is probably best. Moving out this week and next week and finishing doing the place up for low maintenance mode x____x damn you collect a lot of shit over the years

I'll take all your gaming PC's and parts and shit off your hands free of charge to help rid the clutter..

Reply #19616 Posted: March 25, 2014, 02:18:44 pm

Offline Growler

Many things to consider.

GET A PERM!

Reply #19617 Posted: March 25, 2014, 02:35:26 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Codex

I'll take all your gaming PC's and parts and shit off your hands free of charge to help rid the clutter..
Got a few bits and pieces you might want actually, have an amd quad build laying around and a 560ti hah. Although unsure what to do with them atm.

GET A PERM!
Been there, done that, looked fabulous m8.

Reply #19618 Posted: March 25, 2014, 02:50:04 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
They didn't exactly sell me on CUP with their advice of "well it might be worth doing, since you might this and might that etc" but if the CUP course is actually good then i'd do it. I don't know anyone that has done it and couldn't find much for or against it so wasn't sure. Although don't think I can do CUP and S2 papers from what i've read :S. ENGR102 looks rad o:.

The other point is though, would I benefit more from doing the lower level courses and engr102 or doing CUP this year (in the Nov-Feb spread so can actually get monies) then take engr102 next year hmm.

I did CUP. The writing skills was awesome, cause the 'lecturer' was rad and a hot chick sat in front of me and she had dat hour-glass.

I failed the math002 paper but repeated it over the summer and nailed it.

I then went on to fail emth118, but didn't have to do summer to catch it up.

Like the Japa cult paper? :S

Yeah, sorta.

If you're passionately interested in it, then go for it, but don't ever do an arts paper to bulk points, do a science paper to bulk points.

If you're keen on japanese, then go for gold, but if you ever need to bulk out your points, don't just do management of psyc for the sake of it. Cause it will suck.

Fair points, not harsh really. Waste of time refers to the fact that when I went in if I had've been aware of what i've been informed of now upon revisiting to organise properly doing things I would have dropped everything back then and got into S1, even though it would have been a nightmare financially, but now it seems like i've wasted like half a year.

I can definitely be bothered doing the work required to get through it once actually in it, I just really can't be bothered/am not interested in dealing with misleading information, as an example the information you've given me has already been infinitely more useful than the information given to me by the dept. itself or liason lol.

The city isn't the issue, when I move it will be out of NZ. Have managed to organise a pathway out that's flexible now though (as of today), which means I don't have to worry as much about the age timeline, one less thing to stress about. So you're right, moving to Auckland or Waikato (which no force on Earth could make me do) wouldn't help anyway. I'd take study overseas if I could afford D;

Good! UC engineering degree will take you anywhere!

Asia, America, UK, apparently not europe, but also europe.

I really enjoyed chem in senior years of HS hah. Something to definitely consider, for electives too. The Uni massively tried to discourage Jap as an elective lol.

Oh yeah, they want to see you doing difficult papers to try weed out the weaklings, so if you're not doing the full intermediate programme they think you might be trying to cheat your way in.

Lol yeah that's pretty awesome, can't top that really o:. Good points though.

Thank you for what you've advised so far, as said, infinitely more useful than anyone/anything else i've read.

Like I said, do whatever it takes to get into a really positive mindset. Other things to think about too is making yourself comfortable. Having things like a reliable vehicle (fully woffed and rego'd, and a parking permit), a good bed, a huge desk with good filing, ergonomics, light is essential. Put money aside for slightly nicer/better food. $2.50 noddles are much nicer than 89c noodles. Even things like warm clothes, a good jacket. Anything to make your life slightly more comfortable.

Reply #19619 Posted: March 25, 2014, 05:14:58 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
But I don't really care where you do engineering, Auckland is about 95% as good as Canty

I know this the chch thread, but wat.

Reply #19620 Posted: March 25, 2014, 06:09:01 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
But I don't really care where you do engineering, Auckland is about 95% as good as Canty

I know this the chch thread, but wat.

Yes, Auckland is quantitatively almost as good as Canterbury.

Without consideration to the fact it's in Auckland.

Reply #19621 Posted: March 25, 2014, 06:56:50 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!

If quote is used then yes, an alert shows up.
If not... you'll probably have to 'watch' (vB called it a 'subscription') the thread, if smf has that (sure it will).

I want to answer your papers questions, but I don't have time to read the walls of text :(

Reply #19622 Posted: March 25, 2014, 08:14:50 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Yeah well they would, they'll all be those fucking cockhead engineer types!
**in before "arts students flip burgers for a living"

I did both Japanese and Computer Science at UC. It doesn't make a shit difference what you do for points fillers, so long as you get the required points in the right places to advance your degree.

I had to do an extra half year because I failed at that. Turns out 'COSC' papers are worth half as much as arts papers, for about the same amount of study effort. The difference here being that cosc and japa were my fillers, as opposed to the other way around (have BA in Classics). Oh, and that cosc is quite practical assessed, where as arts are research assessed (cosc you study to do, arts you study to know). As for math and shit, I can't say. I took a couple of papers but didn't attend enough classes to pass (I got the prereq's waived to get up a level in the cosc tree anyway because I was so pro and it was the same lecturer as 123 and Dr. Lobb is awesome).

As for arts fillers, studying language (eg. Japanese) is good, but very taxing. As in, you don't have to write a dickload of essays to get assessed, but the non-contact hours of study are pretty intense (and if you don't put them in, you end up like me - fell off the wagon can only speak the basics and only when I remember enough to do so).

I really wish I'd stuck it out with electrical engineering (shutup Waikato is a great uni, just in a shit place. Ask Private_Hell :> )... but on the other hand I also don't regret what I've got. It's funny how life turns out sometimes. The only way to get through it is to just jump in. Start in S2 if you can, just get in there and cause a scene. That's what it's all about. The more points you get now, the less you need later.

Whatever it is, just be interested in what you do.
Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:43:18 am by Pyromanik

Reply #19623 Posted: March 26, 2014, 08:38:46 am

Codex

I did CUP. The writing skills was awesome, cause the 'lecturer' was rad and a hot chick sat in front of me and she had dat hour-glass.

I failed the math002 paper but repeated it over the summer and nailed it.

I then went on to fail emth118, but didn't have to do summer to catch it up.

Hah of course you'd remember the babe.

Good work on the passes, eventually ;3. Will look into more once i've finished moving.

Yeah, sorta.

If you're passionately interested in it, then go for it, but don't ever do an arts paper to bulk points, do a science paper to bulk points.

If you're keen on japanese, then go for gold, but if you ever need to bulk out your points, don't just do management of psyc for the sake of it. Cause it will suck.

Yeah I am, already learning Japanese hah. Good advice though. Psyc and management sound painful, know friends doing both, so yeah no ty, will stick the sciences apart from Jap stuffs.

Good! UC engineering degree will take you anywhere!

Asia, America, UK, apparently not europe, but also europe.

Lol more interested in Asia and USA luckily. Europe for holidays but not much interest there otherwise o__o

Oh yeah, they want to see you doing difficult papers to try weed out the weaklings, so if you're not doing the full intermediate programme they think you might be trying to cheat your way in.

Yeah they said doing Jap and Engineering would be too much for anyone to do, not that Jap was too easy or anything lol, so the contrary, but I get that for sure.

Like I said, do whatever it takes to get into a really positive mindset. Other things to think about too is making yourself comfortable. Having things like a reliable vehicle (fully woffed and rego'd, and a parking permit), a good bed, a huge desk with good filing, ergonomics, light is essential. Put money aside for slightly nicer/better food. $2.50 noddles are much nicer than 89c noodles. Even things like warm clothes, a good jacket. Anything to make your life slightly more comfortable.

Already found a place to move in to that's literally 2 seconds away from uni walking, so that helps. Need to sell the GTB T____T but small sacrifices, no way I can run a 450k per 60litre car on student income... hah. Good stuffs, luckily my eating habits are fairly cheap already, so hopefully won't have to skimp out on meals too much -____-

If quote is used then yes, an alert shows up.
If not... you'll probably have to 'watch' (vB called it a 'subscription') the thread, if smf has that (sure it will).

I want to answer your papers questions, but I don't have time to read the walls of text :(

Found it, used the link from another forum to find it:
http://www.getsome.co.nz/index.php?action=unreadreplies

Will make a thread to request it to be added to header I guess.

The notification thing on header doesn't work properly for me most of the time. Get notifications for ancient things with no posts added and sometimes no notifications when quoted on new topics lol

Yeah well they would, they'll all be those fucking cockhead engineer types!
**in before "arts students flip burgers for a living"

Lol maybe! It was the liason person discouraging me though, the engi people were like "whatevs m8 get in my doona" and I was all "no daddy, no."

Every art student that I know that went to Uni has either changed to another degree or ended up doing nothing with arts, not flipping burgers per say but you have to have a serious passion to sink such high amounts into a degree that is hard to push into a career.

I did both Japanese and Computer Science at UC. It doesn't make a shit difference what you do for points fillers, so long as you get the required points in the right places to advance your degree.
I had to do an extra half year because I failed at that. Turns out 'COSC' papers are worth half as much as arts papers, for about the same amount of study effort. The difference here being that cosc and japa were my fillers, as opposed to the other way around (BA in Classics). Oh, and that cosc is quite practical assessed, where as arts are research assessed (cosc you study to do, arts you study to know). As for math and shit, I can't say. I took a couple of papers but didn't attend enough classes to pass (I got the prereq's waived to get up a level in the cosc tree anyway because I was so pro and it was the same lecturer as 123).

Ah I see, interesting, makes sense though. You little greaser :P

As for arts fillers, studying language (eg. Japanese) is good, but very taxing. As in, you don't have to write a dickload of essays to get assessed, but the non-contact hours of study are pretty intense (and if you don't put them in, you end up like me).

Yeah I know, it's intense, but I do enjoy it so it's helped a lot, and i'm lucky that close friends and the lady friend speak it fluently.

I really wish I'd stuck it out with electrical engineering... but on the other hand I also don't regret what I've got. It's funny how life turns out sometimes. The only way to get through it is to just jump in. Start in S2 if you can, just get in there and cause a scene. That's what it's all about. The more points you get now, the less you need later.

Whatever it is, just be interested in what you do.

Yeah i'd look at CUP for pre S1 to get started in S1 properly next year, intake is either July-Oct or Nov-Feb, would likely look at nov-feb so that I can work right up till Nov o__o

Reply #19624 Posted: March 26, 2014, 08:50:37 am