Topic: Christchurch Treehouse of Awesome-Where everyone knows your name

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!
MBP is dead... Many sad. So beep. Much blank screen. Fuck.

I'm going to have to do that thing that I've read about where you take it to a service person at a shop, and you pay them money to confirm it's time of death (just in case there is a way to resurrect it). *sigh*

Reply #19625 Posted: March 26, 2014, 09:33:16 am
Maybe if i just click this.....shit...DV gonna be maaaaad!

Codex

knock it off the counter and get the insurance bud

Reply #19626 Posted: March 26, 2014, 09:34:37 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Leg day last night.

Trainer started me on dat German volume training.

Shit's fucked, mang. New gym has an ungodly ratio of hot women to dudes. Meaningless though, because I've not the balls to talk to any of them.

HUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUE.

Reply #19627 Posted: March 26, 2014, 10:06:56 am

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!

If quote is used then yes, an alert shows up.
If not... you'll probably have to 'watch' (vB called it a 'subscription') the thread, if smf has that (sure it will).

I want to answer your papers questions, but I don't have time to read the walls of text :(

Found it, used the link from another forum to find it:
http://www.getsome.co.nz/index.php?action=unreadreplies

Will make a thread to request it to be added to header I guess.

The notification thing on header doesn't work properly for me most of the time. Get notifications for ancient things with no posts added and sometimes no notifications when quoted on new topics lol

If you hover over 'community' the 'new replies' link is exactly that...

If you want the alerts to show up when a particular thread is posted in, when you are viewing the thread, scroll to the bottom and click 'notify' and then select 'alerts'
Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 10:24:46 am by Craigorsarus

Reply #19628 Posted: March 26, 2014, 10:21:07 am
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Codex

If you hover over 'community' the 'new replies' link is exactly that...

If you want the alerts to show up when a particular thread is posted in, when you are viewing the thread, scroll to the bottom and click 'notify' and then select 'alerts'
Ohhhh I see, cheers craig. My other request was to make the icon for the forum topic go to the newest post unread, seeing as it does nothing at the moment o:

Reply #19629 Posted: March 26, 2014, 10:37:11 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Lol more interested in Asia and USA luckily. Europe for holidays but not much interest there otherwise o__o
Excepting the orders of magnitude higher ratios of hot folks to not folks.

Every art student that I know that went to Uni has either changed to another degree or ended up doing nothing with arts, not flipping burgers per say but you have to have a serious passion to sink such high amounts into a degree that is hard to push into a career.

Mmm. Arts is hard to explain, but it's useful in everyday every job.
It doesn't give you a specifc "I can do this" skill set, but a broader way of assessing and approaching problems. I rely on it heavily every day in my job. Long story short it makes me less of a retard.

I read a bunch of shit like this when I was studying (although often with shitter less convincing words), and I would then relay it when someone hassled me about my degree choice. I didn't really have that much faith in it.

But then...
It's weird because it takes a little while to sink in, but you eventually come to the same conclusion.

Though on the other hand you kinda have to when the thing you hated most in school was writing essays. But then ironically the degree you end up completing (out of all the things you tried) is entirely essay assessed :P

Ah I see, interesting, makes sense though. You little greaser :P

Whaaaaat?

Yeah I know, it's intense, but I do enjoy it so it's helped a lot, and i'm lucky that close friends and the lady friend speak it fluently.

Yeh. That's why one does arts stuff. Because they're mega interesting, not so much because they want a particular kind of skill (although one should only really be studying skills that interest them too).

Keep that up man, regret nothing.

Imma live the muthafuk'n dream.

Dat smirk. You're doing it right now, I can feel it's power from here.

In all honesty, quite jelly over here. I'd love to go back to study... but money :<
Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 11:26:36 am by Pyromanik

Reply #19630 Posted: March 26, 2014, 11:19:54 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Same boat as you, Pyro.

I'd love to go back to study, is a dream of mine. But having a student debt is a great deterrent.

The things I'd like to study with no intention of turning it into a job:

Bachelor of Arts, majoring in classics, dabble in some theology and german philosphy.
Bachelor in Computer Science of some variety.

I know I could teach myself things, but there something to be said about the college environment that I miss. Stupid fucking adult life.

Reply #19631 Posted: March 26, 2014, 11:38:48 am

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!

Ohhhh I see, cheers craig. My other request was to make the icon for the forum topic go to the newest post unread, seeing as it does nothing at the moment o:

I'll keep that in mind to do - for now the 'new' icon that shows up to the right of the post title links to the newest unread post

Reply #19632 Posted: March 26, 2014, 11:40:09 am
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

I'll keep that in mind to do - for now the 'new' icon that shows up to the right of the post title links to the newest unread post

I've discovered that the 'new' icon only works if you've previously posted in that thread. Clicking on a 'new' icon on a thread you've not been active in still takes you to the first page.

Reply #19633 Posted: March 26, 2014, 11:46:56 am

Codex

Excepting the orders of magnitude higher ratios of hot folks to not folks.
Hah well that's fair, plenty of killer talent in the states and canada though, hoboy

Mmm. Arts is hard to explain, but it's useful in everyday every job.
It doesn't give you a specifc "I can do this" skill set, but a broader way of assessing and approaching problems. I rely on it heavily every day in my job. Long story short it makes me less of a retard.

I read a bunch of shit like this when I was studying (although often with shitter less convincing words), and I would then relay it when someone hassled me about my degree choice. I didn't really have that much faith in it.

But then...
It's weird because it takes a little while to sink in, but you eventually come to the same conclusion.[/quote]
I've done arts and design before remember ;3 I definitely understand, and did do the work for a while too. I still apply the things I learned in that role to things I do everyday, more or less the thought and flow process for achieving what I need to really.

Though on the other hand you kinda have to when the thing you hated most in school was writing essays. But then ironically the degree you end up completing (out of all the things you tried) is entirely essay assessed :P
Lol yeah not looking forward to tests and essays again, but at the same time it's a bit different when you're actively choosing to do something you're interested in, at least I found it that way when I was doing tests in design stuffffs.

Whaaaaat?
Because "(I got the prereq's waived to get up a level in the cosc tree anyway because I was so pro and it was the same lecturer as 123)." lol

Yeh. That's why one does arts stuff. Because they're mega interesting, not so much because they want a particular kind of skill (although one should only really be studying skills that interest them too).

Keep that up man, regret nothing.
Yeah for sure, i'd love to do classics or philo one day. Although I do really enjoy and love Japanese heh. Although since it's nearly impossible to move there without N2/as an English teacher (I can't teach to save myself) I'd only go there on vacation, although this is okay, maybe one day I'll get there via other means heh.

Too many regrets already to add more...

Dat smirk. You're doing it right now, I can feel it's power from here.
Heh everyone comments on the smirk >__< rii just wants me to smoosh my smirks all over his grills.

In all honesty, quite jelly over here. I'd love to go back to study... but money :<
Mmmm if I can do it, you can too, money sucks -_____-

Same boat as you, Pyro.

I'd love to go back to study, is a dream of mine. But having a student debt is a great deterrent.
The debt makes me cringe, but it's not for nothing at the end of the day. For me but I feel like with it being interest free I can justify it with the reward/'light at the end of the tunnel'

I've always been curious though, I wonder if the interest of the loan when overseas is high than the interest paid on my home loan, if so then consolidation into home loan could make that pain go away hmmmmm hah.

The things I'd like to study with no intention of turning it into a job:

Bachelor of Arts, majoring in classics, dabble in some theology and german philosphy.
Bachelor in Computer Science of some variety.

I know I could teach myself things, but there something to be said about the college environment that I miss. Stupid fucking adult life.
Yeah as above i'd love to classics or philo one day, maybe some more arts, really enjoyed my typography study hah.

Sweeeeeeet, hope to see it soon ;D

Reply #19634 Posted: March 26, 2014, 12:13:46 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Solution: Work for a tertiary institute and study forever..

Downside is Education pay is the shit. Upside is free /discount papers.

I'm sure it varies between employers but I've worked for two tertiary providers (one "low-end" and one "middle of the market), one had lots of free internal courses for staff, and paid for 1 paper a semester at the nearest uni if you got approval from HR, the other gives a 90% discount of any internal course (as long as its not full of paying students), and if its a work related course your department pays the 10%.

Reply #19635 Posted: March 26, 2014, 01:21:00 pm

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!
Sooooo don't start a second firewall on your home network and expect it not to fuck up when you forget to change the vNICs.

Also, don't do it remotely so you can't fix it.

Reply #19636 Posted: March 26, 2014, 01:32:58 pm

Codex

Solution: Work for a tertiary institute and study forever..

Downside is Education pay is the shit. Upside is free /discount papers.

I'm sure it varies between employers but I've worked for two tertiary providers (one "low-end" and one "middle of the market), one had lots of free internal courses for staff, and paid for 1 paper a semester at the nearest uni if you got approval from HR, the other gives a 90% discount of any internal course (as long as its not full of paying students), and if its a work related course your department pays the 10%.
Flag, although my work could use your skillz yo, although pay is shit

Sooooo don't start a second firewall on your home network and expect it not to fuck up when you forget to change the vNICs.

Hahaha fuck, totally knew you did it remotely before even reading it.

Reply #19637 Posted: March 26, 2014, 01:34:16 pm

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator

Hahaha fuck, totally knew you did it remotely before even reading it.

Worst part was as I started it, I saw that it had NICs attached to the VM, and I went to click... no response... "FUUUUUUUUUUUU"

Reply #19638 Posted: March 26, 2014, 01:44:57 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Ri, just go sit in on any lectures you like, learn, just don't sit the tests!

When my wife was at varsity they had this old couple in the 70s that did just that, sat at the back and learnededdeded all the things.

Thinga maya ofa changegededededed now, this was way back in the 90s

Reply #19639 Posted: March 26, 2014, 05:17:28 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Codex

^I'd be too afraid of being booted out haha

Reply #19640 Posted: March 27, 2014, 08:24:47 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
I did that. Was pretty blatant too because it was Japanese... LANGUAGE.
Eventually I just stopped going because I'd forgotten too much and was being shit at practice sessions though... pretty much just relying on what I had in my book from the year before.

I did clear it with the sensei first, she was all "so long as you're not disturbing the class and participate"... but I felt I couldn't do it well enough so pulled out on my own account. Plus other assessments were picking up at that point, and I couldn't make every class.

Because "(I got the prereq's waived to get up a level in the cosc tree anyway because I was so pro and it was the same lecturer as 123)." lol

Fuck yeah, you better believe it. Top mark in the class, breezed in an A+.

(das liek, turbo merit uber achieved for all you NCEA kids).
Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 08:46:33 am by Pyromanik

Reply #19641 Posted: March 27, 2014, 08:42:34 am

Codex

Reply #19642 Posted: March 27, 2014, 08:47:07 am

Offline Pyromanik

Yeah, not bad, but she'll be all professional makeup like.
And probably photoderp'd on top of that.

Reply #19643 Posted: March 27, 2014, 08:48:35 am

Codex

I'm not surprised anymore.

Reply #19644 Posted: March 27, 2014, 08:59:22 am

Offline Pyromanik

Neither. Sad eh. These are the times we live in. Unrealistic standards and eating disorders, and then the counterbalance of fatties claiming that it's ok to be obese.

What the fuck ever happened to the happy median?

Reply #19645 Posted: March 27, 2014, 09:48:58 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Y'all mother fuckers need to lift.

Managed to put on 2KG of muscle in the last 4 weeks + dropping to 7% body fat.

Terry Crews is my idle.

Reply #19646 Posted: March 27, 2014, 09:55:57 am

Codex

I prefer no muscle hah

67kg atm, prefer to be around 60-64 though

Reply #19647 Posted: March 27, 2014, 10:12:08 am

Offline Pyromanik

Lost about 15kg in the last 4 months.
Fruit for breakfast, sandwich for lunch, (veggie) soup for dinner.
Good for stay happies in winter too.

So I'm still fat with no muscle. But that's ok, because having muscle is only quarter of the battle. Knowing how to use it is the other 3/4. And I ain't got time for that, no matter how much I'd like to have skills.

Reply #19648 Posted: March 27, 2014, 11:27:59 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Knowing how to use muscle?

What are you, some sort of Crossfit homo?

S'all 'bout the 'mirin, brah.

Reply #19649 Posted: March 27, 2014, 11:37:52 am