Topic: Good programming language to learn?

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
You can download Visual Studio Express in your language of choice here.
http://www.microsoft.com/express/Downloads/

If you want to start really easy, you can start with small basic
http://smallbasic.com/

I'm not sure what you need for game modding.

Reply #125 Posted: November 24, 2010, 05:18:16 pm

Offline Spoonguard

• Addicted
  • Spoonguard has no influence.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1335222
You can download Visual Studio Express in your language of choice here.
http://www.microsoft.com/express/Downloads/

If you want to start really easy, you can start with small basic
http://smallbasic.com/

I'm not sure what you need for game modding.

Generally, C and C++. Most game engines have a high-level scripting language based on either C or C++. Exceptions include Unity3D, which uses Mono (.NET); Gamebyro, which uses Lua.

Reply #126 Posted: November 24, 2010, 06:00:51 pm
        and nothing of value was lost.

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
I dunno, I wouldn't recommend to someone who wants to dabble in game modding to learn C and C++.

They don't need to learn memory management or any OO, just need basic scripting skills.
BF2 i think used a fairly simple set of python scripts to access game engine variables etc.

Reply #127 Posted: November 24, 2010, 06:16:07 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
Buy gmod and learn expression 2, Fairly easy.

Once you've learnt that, learn lua and mod your own addons :>

Reply #128 Posted: November 24, 2010, 06:28:54 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline thatGUyAswell

• Just settled in
  • thatGUyAswell has no influence.
Lol expression 2 is so easy, it's epic.

Reply #129 Posted: November 24, 2010, 06:53:55 pm

Offline Virus.

• Devoted Member
  • Virus. has no influence.
I'm not Gmod modding. No.

A few open games use Python, like Mount & Blade, I'm interested in that. What's the Source engine use?

Remember, this is just modding a game into my own, nothing more.

Reply #130 Posted: November 24, 2010, 08:42:03 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Virus.;1335329
I'm not Gmod modding. No.

A few open games use Python, like Mount & Blade, I'm interested in that. What's the Source engine use?

Remember, this is just modding a game into my own, nothing more.

You can with gmod lol, You don't have to make a full on game, just a game mode.

Reply #131 Posted: November 24, 2010, 08:50:45 pm

Offline Virus.

• Devoted Member
I'm sorry Kayne. Did I not make it clear the first time?

Unless you can turn it into another game that isn't Gmod. No.

Reply #132 Posted: November 24, 2010, 09:31:01 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1334552
I find string.format really useful

string someWords = string.format("Words and shit {0} {1}", x , y);

{0} and {1} are replace by x and y respectively. Where x/y can be a number or a string.

Looks like a half arsed regular expression.

Quote from: Virus.;1335219
Ok, so I'm going to give programming go. However, I don't know where the place for me to start is.

I'm interested in game modding, for other people or me. This will probably always be a hobby. What should I start learning and how?

Python is probably your best bet.
That or Lua.

Reply #133 Posted: November 24, 2010, 09:34:37 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Virus.

• Devoted Member
Where (other than Gmod) is Lua used and for what?

And what about Source engine?

Reply #134 Posted: November 24, 2010, 09:42:43 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Well; use google.

Source has the Source SDK.

Crytek:
http://www.crymod.com/portal.php

Unreal Engine's UDK

etc.
Most require you to know a real language.
I know lua is used in a few places, but can't find any specific references atm.

As mentioned BF2 uses Python.

As to many open projects.
Spring Engine uses Lua, if you were into RTS. They have a pretty good guide on how to develop units and the like also. It's pretty straightforward until you get to the COB scripting part :/

Reply #135 Posted: November 24, 2010, 09:44:02 pm

Offline Virus.

• Devoted Member
Hmmm. C++.

Reply #136 Posted: November 24, 2010, 09:48:21 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Yup.

Quote from: Virus.;1335358
Hmmm. C++.
Quote from: Pyromanik;1335356
Most require you to know a real language.

Which is why you might wanna investigate making an application first. Get your feet wet.
I know you're finishing school soon, so to a uni or tech and study, it's much easier to learn the harder stuff when you have a sense of compulsion. And a shittonne of people around to help you (as opposed to half finished internet tutorials and basics that you outgrow fast).

Reply #137 Posted: November 24, 2010, 09:50:54 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Virus.;1335329
A few open games use Python, like Mount & Blade, I'm interested in that.
Mount&Blade is my python programming passion.

http://forums.getsome.co.nz/index.php/topic,45338.0.html

Loads of help from the Mount&Blade forums for budding modders. The only let down is the loss of the 'big name' mods like "Fantasy Mod" and "Craftmod".

Maybe someone will, one day, take up their fallen reins.

Reply #138 Posted: November 24, 2010, 09:55:32 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Catalyst

• Addicted
  • Catalyst barely matters.Catalyst barely matters.
tiwa, putting a title on each of your posts is really annoying, shows differently on the main page then i end up back in threads i dont care about
not sure if anyone else gets annoyed by this

/rant

Reply #139 Posted: November 24, 2010, 09:57:19 pm

Offline Menial

• Addicted
  • Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.
I like it.

Reply #140 Posted: November 24, 2010, 10:07:04 pm

Offline Virus.

• Devoted Member
What would be the best if I wanted to get into game modding, Python or C++? Take into account the learning curve etc.

Reply #141 Posted: November 24, 2010, 10:24:27 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
whats a good IDE in linux to make c++ form guis, like visual studio does. I got this client program on linux, and i need to add some extra functionality to it, but i rather not have to add all the extra stuff by hand (like declaring another button, then setting up properties etc). There probably more info i need to give, but i dont have the program on me.

Reply #142 Posted: November 24, 2010, 10:27:42 pm

Offline Pyromanik

^ depends. On a number of things, most of all the toolkit being used.
If it's Qt, use Qt designer, it comes with the Qt package.

If not...
geezus man, must be a pretty shit distro if you can't "pacman -Ss IDE" or "apt-get imnotadebianfanhowdoesthisshitwork?".

Try Code::Blocks?
Ajunta
Kate
Kdevelop
Eclipse

It's more than likely much easier to find out the toolkit and code in your gui by hand. They're not hard.
GTK's like laying out HTML.

Quote from: Catalyst;1335366
tiwa, putting a title on each of your posts is really annoying, shows differently on the main page then i end up back in threads i dont care about
not sure if anyone else gets annoyed by this

/rant

I love it.
Not Tiwa's fault the forums are shit and use a crazy linked list system.
Or that the admins removed the ability for us to see post titles inside a thread... and never put them back.

--------------------------------------------------

Right. Now that both our new programmers have mades something useful (well, a poorly typed but rather functional calculator in C# by Kayne and a hello world in python by Virus), It's time for the next logical step in challenging progression.

Mission 1: Investigate arrays.
Y'all now got to make me a console (command line interface) based noughts and crosses application.

Rules:
  • Must be reasonably user friendly (a prompt that tells me what valid input I can use).
  • Must be complete with input error checking (this means I can't break it by putting in something like "F" when I should be putting a number between 1-3).
  • You ARE allowed to ask questions and get help (try to save this for when you get stuck though).

You've got 1 week.

Go.
(entries from someone who is neither Kayne or Virus [or possibly someone else suitably new to programming] don't count, and you'll be held responsible for ruining the fun by posting answers and trying to steal the limelight. Probably by being called a dick by me).

Reply #143 Posted: November 24, 2010, 11:52:29 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
Fucking - Keen.

Is it okay if we post out progress as we go, as in...

I think I've finished it, so i post. If there are errors, and you guys tell me about them, can i resubmit a later version?

Reply #144 Posted: November 25, 2010, 12:21:54 am

Offline Pyromanik

Yup, of course (See rule 3).

The point of the exercise is to investigate arrays, incase you missed it.
So you'll lose points if you find some other fucked up way to do it (honestly, arrays are the easiest). Preferably use an array that's primitive as you can get in your language.

Just a standard 3x3 2D board. Must have complete win & restart functionality, along with a quit.
Bonus points for having a computer player.

Good luck :)

Reply #145 Posted: November 25, 2010, 12:26:12 am

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
Arrays have always been my downfall. Even in gmod. Grumpy tried to teach me but i just herp derp everytime.

After work experience tomorrow i'll get working on it straight away.

So you don't expect the actual game to be in text, it can be in a plain image right?

Reply #146 Posted: November 25, 2010, 12:28:36 am

Offline Pyromanik

No, in text.
Consoles don't do images ;)

But there's nothing stoping you from an ASCII board

eg:
Code: [Select]
O| |X
-----
 |O|
-----
X| |X

or:
Code: [Select]
O X
 O
X X

or something like that.
Up to you!

Reply #147 Posted: November 25, 2010, 12:30:30 am

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
kk, I'm still quite confused over how I'm meant to use arrays. I could easily do this with if statements, but when I try put arrays into the equation.. I just can't work it out!

I have no idea what i'm meant to be making into an array. The possible wins? Each squares possibility? Or just the outcome of the board?

Reply #148 Posted: November 25, 2010, 12:37:29 am

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
think about it like this.

An array holds x by y data. So for this game you need 3x3, so thats the first thing you need to make. then everytime a user inputs a value you need to update the array, and print it to screen. And yea you are putting the x and o's on the board. Like pyro showed.

On a side note, something interesting to check out is the curses library. its for linux iirc, but there is ncurses for windows. Its basically like making a gui in console window, by printing a buffer to the console, then refreshing it.

Reply #149 Posted: November 25, 2010, 12:53:53 am