Topic: What did you do to your vehicle today?

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
Nice work! Wiring can be a pain in the arse!

Reply #550 Posted: January 12, 2012, 04:47:02 pm

Codex

Quote from: Pitchey;1461746
Nice work! Wiring can be a pain in the arse!

Yeah it can be, challenge is fun though xD rears will be the real challenge!

Reply #551 Posted: January 12, 2012, 05:35:44 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
running that shit down chassis is a real drag. Hide that shit under the door seals for minimal fuss if possible.

Reply #552 Posted: January 21, 2012, 12:31:58 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Codex

Quote from: Pyromanik;1463260
running that shit down chassis is a real drag. Hide that shit under the door seals for minimal fuss if possible.

Because i'd have to run new cable to the tweeters in the doors anyway, it's also messier. Lastly, no room under the hood for filters.

Reply #553 Posted: January 21, 2012, 01:40:54 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Oh you have existing speaker cable eh?
heh.

Reply #554 Posted: January 21, 2012, 06:31:11 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Codex

Job's all finished!

The rear door speakers were quite rooted, no wonder they sounded like they were farting:

The rear door holes are slightly smaller than the fronts, a 6 inch rear  speaker would have fit much better than the 6.5 inch for future  reference.

Old speaker out, moused the new speaker cable through using my trusty old cat5 and a kebab stick again ;D

The rear door jam hoses were far FAR easier to mouse cables through, not such a tight fit ;D

Got the rear splitter installed and soldered up to the rear left output :>

Since my speakers were slightly too big for the rear door holes I  decided to use the plastic bracket from the stock speakers as a spacer  to make them easier to mount, I cut the tabs off of the back and then  glued to the speaker mount:

With the seat belt base unbolted (top bolt 10mm bottom 14mm, just hung  it around instead on unplugging) I could slide the splitter box up above  where the seatbelt base sits, I made sure that it was stuck in a way  that it would not touch the seatbelt itself just in case.

It only went up to the middle space which has a cover over it which was  more than enough. The tweeter cable run down to the carpet as I would  soon discover the nightmare subaru had bestowed upon me.

I made a mistake, a mistake that I normally wouldn't. This mistake was  going in to do something with the predetermined idea that it must have  been done this way:

This is the set of cables that runs down the left hand side of the car  to the boot space, which is where I though the rear left tweeter cable  must run. WROOOONG. Instead I cut a pair of cables that I thought must  be the right cables due to their thickness and the colours I was  expecting not being in the bunch at all, small zap to myself later I was  soon to learn that I was an idiot. I did get some gel filled special  cable bridging tab things off of a friend that works in telco that fixed  it up, huge thanks to him as he also loaned me this amazing tool:

With this you attach the red pair onto cables and use the left hand wand  to follow the signal to trace the cable. I chucked it on the tweeter  cable to discover that.... the rear left tweeter cable ran down with the  right hand side of the boots cabling

The rear left and rear right tweeter cabling:

I'm holding the rear right, rear left is under my middle finger. I ran  the rear lefts cabling under the the carpet (thanks to the suggestion  from telco friend xD) back to the left rear splitter. How I did this  part was cut the direct output to the rear left and rear right and re  soldered to feed directly from the splitters as intended.

Onto the tweeter replacement now, trim removed (two screws, rest is  clips.) Screwed the tweeter on that way so that it would hold still  while I soldered the cable up:

The tweeter had to sit on the same angle as the trim to fit, flat like  the original and there was no show of that fitting in. Rear left and  right installed now:

The covers fit over the tweeters JUST although forgot to get a photo lol

Either way the setup sounds really really great, really happy with the result :)

Reply #555 Posted: January 30, 2012, 12:04:04 pm

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
Top marks!

Reply #556 Posted: January 30, 2012, 01:14:02 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
Hey, you might not have noticed but there is a rip in your jeans right where your knee is. If you get a needle and some thread you will be able to stitch that right up.

Reply #557 Posted: January 30, 2012, 01:50:52 pm

Codex

Quote from: Pitchey;1465055
Top marks!
Cheers pitchey xD

Quote from: mycoolcar;1465057
Hey, you might not have noticed but there is a rip in your jeans right where your knee is. If you get a needle and some thread you will be able to stitch that right up.

Garage jeans :P

Reply #558 Posted: January 30, 2012, 01:51:34 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
What type of car is it?

Reply #559 Posted: January 30, 2012, 01:54:27 pm

Codex

Quote from: mycoolcar;1465060
What type of car is it?
It's a 98 subaru legacy gtb :>

*Prepares for incoming hate*

Reply #560 Posted: January 30, 2012, 01:59:44 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
Hmmmm  that orange tone source looks familiar :p

Reply #561 Posted: January 30, 2012, 02:40:13 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
Quote from: Codex;1465061
It's a 98 subaru legacy gtb :>

*Prepares for incoming hate*

TBH a MAV would give much better fuel economy and performance. :P

Reply #562 Posted: January 30, 2012, 02:59:08 pm

Codex

Quote from: Xsannz;1465068
Hmmmm  that orange tone source looks familiar :p
I gave credit where due :P

Quote from: mycoolcar;1465071
TBH a MAV would give much better fuel economy and performance. :P
Oh? I'm interested in a purchase of this MAV you speak of, continue good sir.

Reply #563 Posted: January 30, 2012, 04:05:32 pm

Offline Greaver

• Just settled in
  • Greaver has no influence.
Nice work Codex

Technically this happened yesterday - but I got two new tyres for the Skyline and prayed the rims weren't buckled.

Why?

Because some cunt ran me off the road in a 70k area - actually pulled into my lane and forced me off the road and I hit the median with such force both tyres popped and some suspension work will be in order.

Both rims are ok though which at this point is a bloody miracle

Reply #564 Posted: February 06, 2012, 12:58:45 pm

Offline Ninja

• Just settled in
  • Ninja has no influence.
sold my old car :), 3800 for a 96 NA celica, not bad, happy that its no longer taking up garage room

Reply #565 Posted: February 06, 2012, 04:47:39 pm
Ninja! We Own The Night!

Codex

Cleaned thoroughly, inside and out. Fixed stereo mount plate, removed many rattles

feelsgoodman

Reply #566 Posted: February 06, 2012, 06:46:41 pm

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Took out the starter motor and cleaned it. It works :D

Now might have to give it a clean.

Reply #567 Posted: February 16, 2012, 03:08:26 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline Plasma

• Addicted
  • Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.
Getting the clutch replaced today/tomorrow.

Reply #568 Posted: February 16, 2012, 07:29:24 pm

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
Drove to the shops.

Drove home again.

Riding the bike to work later.

Reply #569 Posted: February 16, 2012, 08:06:10 pm

Codex

Todays mission! Well the fuel pump died as mentioned previously, today work got canned as snow was too bad, that didn't stop me driving across town to pick up my order in my partners front wheel drive holden astra hahahaha. Was good fun

Cat didn't know how to react to the snow lol:

Hoses disconnected, sweet baby jesus the main hose is a pig. I noticed it was slightly chewed already, looks like the oem pump has been replaced before.

After much fidgeting I got the unit out, took forever to dry off with how cold it is at the moment -_- giant clunky subaru pump, check. I used the old rubber from the original pumps base cut up a bit to fit nice and securely.

New pump ready to go on after much fiddling to get the damn intake off of the old pump, the new intake wouldn't sit low enough sadly. Although was pretty clean anyway. You can't drain the fuel tank without hand pump or syphoning. I died a bit on the inside.

Joining the new pump wiring, these connectors ARE A GOD SEND, twist the cable after stripping, slide this over, heat gun and it heatshrinks + solders all in one go.

Link for what these are is here: http://www.calcentron.com/Pages/fusion_solder_heat_shrink/fusion_solder_heat_shrink.html

The pump I ordered came with a few :D

All finished ready to go back in :) didn't actually need the fastener but i'd rather it be more solid and secure with all the holes in the roads at the moment

Fired on first turn. So glad :D

Reply #570 Posted: June 06, 2012, 07:20:49 pm

Offline slicD-woodN-caT

• I Posted!
  • slicD-woodN-caT has no influence.
What did I do to my vehicle today? (or Tuesday for that matter)

Did a seafoam treatment in the carbs, intake manifold etc - damn that shit reeks when burnt.
Detailed and polished the bike.
Drained, flushed and refilled radiator with Pennzoil AF.
Checked wheelbearings.
Checked timing and state of oil.

Then it started snowing :S

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7306[/ATTACH]

Reply #571 Posted: June 06, 2012, 11:45:29 pm

Offline Greaver

• Just settled in
  • Greaver has no influence.
Well, this was yesterday, but I cleaned out the interior of my car and took it to Mad Soundz Tauranga to have a 4 gauge amp kit run through to the boot of the wagon.

I have always run my own kits but this car is far too nice for me to risk screwing anything up - cost me $160 all up to get 4 gauge and RCAs/power control run, along with my amp controller which they put through the centre console and affixed in a nice position with double sided tape. Very nice having amplified speakers and subs in the boot again.

Next was to set up my $18 trademe mount for my tablet - I wasn't sure that it would be any good but as it turns out it isn't that flimsy at all, and mounted so the bottom support rests on the edge of the dash (so it doesn't scratch though) means a tight and secure fit. It sits at a really good height too, the tablet bottom sits just above the centre vents and I can see over and around the tablet when its in easy as.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/Rhys88/Scooby/IMG_20120607_125814.jpg
What did you do to your vehicle today?

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/Rhys88/Scooby/IMG_20120607_125818.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/Rhys88/Scooby/IMG_20120607_125948.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/Rhys88/Scooby/IMG_20120607_130511.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/Rhys88/Scooby/IMG_20120607_130458.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/Rhys88/Scooby/2012-06-07130213.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/Rhys88/Scooby/2012-06-06224151.jpg

Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:23:48 pm by Greaver

Reply #572 Posted: June 07, 2012, 12:46:48 pm

Offline Hmmmgood

• Devoted Member
  • Hmmmgood has no influence.
Quote from: slicD-woodN-caT;1489109
What did I do to my vehicle today? (or Tuesday for that matter)

Did a seafoam treatment in the carbs, intake manifold etc - damn that shit reeks when burnt.
Detailed and polished the bike.
Drained, flushed and refilled radiator with Pennzoil AF.
Checked wheelbearings.
Checked timing and state of oil.

Then it started snowing :S

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7306[/ATTACH]
Nice paint job.

Reply #573 Posted: June 08, 2012, 05:35:39 pm

Offline slicD-woodN-caT

• I Posted!
  • slicD-woodN-caT has no influence.
Quote from: Hmmmgood;1489346
Nice paint job.

Thanks, Its based on this (attached) and is a red metallic base coat with metallic orange (namedly MAL19 Giallo Perla Met 232b)
Looks crazy amazing in direct sunlight :)[ATTACH=CONFIG]7310[/ATTACH]

Reply #574 Posted: June 08, 2012, 07:30:18 pm