Topic: What did you do to your vehicle today?

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
  • frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.
Billys been acting weird all day major.

Reply #600 Posted: July 17, 2012, 09:14:45 am

Codex

Going to have to pull roof lining in partners astra, has a leak somewhere o-o not a massive one but enough to be annoying -_-

Also

Good products for treating rust? Going to scrub it off, sand back and want something to remove the rest before I get some pieces powder coated

Reply #601 Posted: July 17, 2012, 06:40:20 pm

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
  • frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.
We have a solution called tank prep in the motorcycle industry that is used for prepping fuel tanks with internal rust. Basically you tip in the bottle and swirl it round and it eats the acid off, then you install lining solution. works well. I am thinking if you can get hold of some of the initial solution, that would be a go. Another option would be to take it to a engine recon shop where they have an acid bath, and they could dip it for you, that would work. Then just get it powder coated.

http://www.kreem.com/tankprep.html

Reply #602 Posted: July 18, 2012, 12:59:19 pm

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Bit hard to swirl it around on a roof though.

Reply #603 Posted: July 18, 2012, 03:31:18 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
Quote from: mattnz;1494550

not sure if srs?

Reply #604 Posted: July 18, 2012, 04:07:51 pm

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
Refitted rebuilt instrument cluster/speed to XJ750P, went to test only to find there's a wiring fault somewhere else allowing me to engage starter whist its in gear with the clutch out.

Frack!

Time to do a dig through the wiring again, the joys of having a 28yr small run old bike.

Reply #605 Posted: July 18, 2012, 05:42:46 pm

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Quote from: frankytanky;1494555
not sure if srs?

Sorry, enlighten me?

Reply #606 Posted: July 18, 2012, 08:30:54 pm

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member

Quote from: mattnz;1494600
Sorry, enlighten me?

you could just put the solution on a cloth or brush and apply it that way.
I think you thought that I was implying that you put the roof in a giant tub of said solution.

Reply #607 Posted: July 19, 2012, 07:48:55 am

Offline mattnz

Well no, but I was implying that it might not work as well without being able to easily soak the entire affected area in a relatively large volume of the fluid.

Reply #608 Posted: July 19, 2012, 11:27:12 am

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Rust treatments are OK but the metal is still oxidising underneath once it gets in there. Only way to properly get rid of it is to cut it out altogether.
Man I hate rust.

Reply #609 Posted: July 19, 2012, 03:00:55 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Oxidation in general is a bit of a cuut. I hate it when the paint goes milky :(
My car is waiting to get repaired in all the exact spots it's previously had rust repairs. Rest of the car is spotless :<

Reply #610 Posted: July 19, 2012, 03:44:24 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Codex

Lol it's not the roof that's rusting, turns out there's not leak, there was just a crap load of moisture in the car from 2 windows being slightly down.

The rust dip is for my strut brace ends

Reply #611 Posted: July 19, 2012, 10:48:03 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
how is the metal still oxidising when you take the oxide away?

Reply #612 Posted: July 21, 2012, 04:31:52 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Codex

Because science

Reply #613 Posted: July 21, 2012, 04:39:03 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Codex;1495087
Because science

Yes, I was better at redox equations when I did level 1, but I'm pretty sure you cant just make oxygen out of thin air (ha geddit?)

4 Fe2+ + O2 → 4 Fe3+ + 2 O2−

If you remove the O2 you get:

4 Fe2+ → 4 Fe3+ + e- which is in equilibrium, so you get:

4 Fe2+ → 4 Fe2+ + C2H6O

which is just iron into iron plus alcohol!!

fucked if I remember though, I literally dipped all my chem knowledge in many shots of tequila the night after the exam.

Reply #614 Posted: July 21, 2012, 04:56:56 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Codex

Used subaru upper engine cleaner (aka seafoam pretty much)

Works really well, pretty happy with result for $23

Reply #615 Posted: July 23, 2012, 08:11:00 pm

Codex

pretty tidy

The sunroofs in that model generally need the rails cleaned out as they fill with mud easily.

Also it's almost due for it's next big service if it hasn't had it's second big service yet

Reply #617 Posted: July 24, 2012, 06:36:27 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Bounty Hunter;1495091
Yes, I was better at redox equations when I did level 1, but I'm pretty sure you cant just make oxygen out of thin air (ha geddit?)

4 Fe2+ + O2 → 4 Fe3+ + 2 O2−

If you remove the O2 you get:

4 Fe2+ → 4 Fe3+ + e- which is in equilibrium, so you get:

4 Fe2+ → 4 Fe2+ + C2H6O

which is just iron into iron plus alcohol!!

fucked if I remember though, I literally dipped all my chem knowledge in many shots of tequila the night after the exam.

Except that Rust isn't Fe2O3 - its Iron Hyrdroxide and Hydrated Iron Oxides - it will be Moisture somewhere that is causing the issue

Reply #618 Posted: July 26, 2012, 10:52:07 am

Offline deanox

• Just settled in
  • deanox has no influence.
^ yes. Diagram time :congratulatory:

Reply #619 Posted: July 26, 2012, 01:38:06 pm

Codex

How does rust form when no solid moisture is present or is the presence of moisture in the air enough to start rust?

Reply #620 Posted: July 26, 2012, 01:40:51 pm

Offline deanox

• Just settled in
  • deanox has no influence.
Yes there's always moisture in the air, even in arid areas, and especially in NZ (high salt contents also). Obviously the higher the humidity the quicker something rusts. But For rust to start on your car, moisture has to get to the steel under the paint, (although paint is porous, so rust is in reality, inevitable), So the spots that hold the most moisture will be the first places to rust such as, around the inside of wheel arches where dirt catches and holds moisture, under gutters, joins and sunroofs (under the rubber seals or urethane sealant), and anywhere that's scratched. Rust also holds moisture, hence why cutting it out is always the best option.

Also when a car has had work done on it and the steel has been exposed esp. in NZ there will be moisture trapped in the steel under the worked on area. Compared to factories which keep their steel in highly controlled environments and treat the steel.

Reply #621 Posted: July 26, 2012, 02:18:18 pm

Offline Shadow9361

• I Posted!
  • Shadow9361 has no influence.
Put i new battery into the skyline and have a good yarn to mate about what im procrastinating :)

Reply #622 Posted: July 27, 2012, 11:06:32 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
Hmm I just repaired a really badly worn leather passenger seat. I got a leather magic repair kit off amazon. I should have taken photos before I started, but the camera battery was flat and I can't find the charger.

So far I have cleaned, and rubbed down the damaged area, and put on 3 thin coats of filler. I also did a bit where the leather has deep lines, like cracks. I just have to see if the leather paint matches the rest of the seat. I have some doubts but the filler / sealer part is awesome, makes the surface feel like smooth and strong, like new again. Fingers crossed.

Reply #623 Posted: August 03, 2012, 12:04:13 am

Codex

Pics? Interested to see how well it works, would like to replenish the shine on my steering wheel lol

How much was the kit?

Reply #624 Posted: August 03, 2012, 09:44:12 am