Topic: Japanese Earthquake! 8.9 - 24km* deep

Offline kookynic

• Cooking by the Book

• kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...
Quote from: Emrico1;1368612
I can understand the american hate and I don't blame you for perpetuating it kooky, a lot of what their country has exported to the world is bad but come on people, don't be sucked in by the hate machine.
America is responsible for some of the greatest people of all time, and the worst and everything in between. It's mostly that their culture gets exported all around the globe because of the fantastic level of creativity (of some) that we feel OK to hate on 'them'. Think about it though, there really is no 'them' just a scattering of individuals living in the same place.

Go to america, spend a little time with 'them' and you might see what I am talking about. In fact, travel for a few years and then perhaps form an informed opinion.

ive asked people who've been travelling in the US, "Whats the one thing you hated about America?"

nearly all of them say "Americans"

yes i am a bit sucked in by hate...................... deffinatly need to experience it for myself - cheers Emri

Quote from: Spacemonkey;1368613
Your position is valid, and i'm sure some people here will agree with you.

But imo a thread about an Earthquake disaster in Japan is the wrong place to rant about how much you hate America.

Yes you're right, back on topic :)

Reply #200 Posted: March 15, 2011, 03:04:25 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
My girlfriend's favorite thing about America was the people she been to over 50 countries on every (livable) Continent  including many months in the US and she says the Japanese and Americans are the most friendly people on earth.

Reply #201 Posted: March 15, 2011, 03:07:45 pm

Offline kookynic

• Cooking by the Book

• kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...
Quote from: Bell;1368621
My girlfriend's favorite thing about America was the people she been to over 50 countries on every (livable) Continent and she says the Japanese and Americans are the most friendly people on earth.

Well you see theres the difference - i havent been exposed to nice americans
Point taken bell

Reply #202 Posted: March 15, 2011, 03:10:19 pm

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
Jeez, people are people. When i first started travelling to the US as an adult, i didn't much like it. That was because i went to LA, which is an urban concrete jungle. Over the years, i made my peace with that city, to the point that it became one of my favourite destinations. Dallas on the other hand was a wonderful place - one that i enjoyed immensely even though i only went there a couple of times.

One thing you have to remember is that the US has more than 300m people, so you're going to get a much larger range of views than you do in a small country like NZ. That said, there's plenty of people living here that i'm not totally enamoured with. Would we want the rest of the world to judge us based on Winston Peters, Kyle Chapman, Lisa Lewis, Nicky Watson, Michael Fay or even Mark Hotchin and his wife? I certainly hope they aren't what people from other lands think of when they think of us.

Reply #203 Posted: March 15, 2011, 03:56:29 pm
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline nick247

• Addicted
  • nick247 has no influence.
on another note, i think this is a good time to think about nuclear power for New Zealand? Considering how well we learn from our mistakes, after this incident they will know how to make safe nuclear reactors for earthquake prone zones.

Since we dont like wind turbines (just too ugly and noisy), and we all want cheaper power, i think nuclear power is the next best alternative.

We can put the power plant next to the mines in the national parks. This will make and save us billions (which means we can rebuild chch and host the rugby world cup there) WIN WIN

Reply #204 Posted: March 15, 2011, 03:57:14 pm

Offline nick247

• Addicted
I would have put paul henry in that list of yours

Reply #205 Posted: March 15, 2011, 03:58:19 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Greaver;1368484
You are going to have to elaborate on this for me Zarkov

Are you saying theres no chance of putting this in the OP or no chance of those singing Chernobyl 2011 reading an article explaining the situation the and systems in place for everyday folk

]

No chance they'll read anything before giving us an opinion about it.

Reply #206 Posted: March 15, 2011, 04:07:38 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: nick247;1368636
on another note, i think this is a good time to think about nuclear power for New Zealand? Considering how well we learn from our mistakes, after this incident they will know how to make safe nuclear reactors for earthquake prone zones.

Since we dont like wind turbines (just too ugly and noisy), and we all want cheaper power, i think nuclear power is the next best alternative.

Seeing as they  (Nuclear Power Plants)are the epitome of de riguer generating fashion statements. We could mine the Uranium sands, send them offshore for processing then buy them back at a loss.

Wind turbines.
"We" don't like them? I love them.

I also think that micro generating units  (solar/hydro/wind) are sexy as and should be embraced.

Where would we send our nuclear waste? Hauraki Gulf?

I'm not buying the spin yet. It seems a bit early given what has occurred.
Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 04:19:30 pm by Ngati_Grim

Reply #207 Posted: March 15, 2011, 04:17:24 pm
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Obble

Quote from: Ngati_Grim;1368643
Where would we send our nuclear waste? Hauraki Gulf?

Use it to fill in all the holes in chch. :p

Or to the moon.

Reply #208 Posted: March 15, 2011, 04:18:52 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;1368643
Wind turbines.
"We" don't like them? I love them.

I've heard quite afew hippy types complain about wind turbines ruining our beautiful country side.

Reply #209 Posted: March 15, 2011, 04:25:19 pm

Offline Spigalau

• Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.
Was reading this AM:
Fatalities in Nuclear Power Generation (last 10 years) : 7
Fatalities in Wind Power Generation (last 10 years) : 44

http://www.caithnesswindfarms.co.uk/accidents.pdf an interesting read.

Reply #210 Posted: March 15, 2011, 04:29:49 pm
49 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 6d 65 6d 62 65 72 20 77 68 65 6e 20 74 68 65 20 61 69 72 20 77 61 73 20 63 6c 65 61 6e 20 61 6e 64 20 73 65 78 20 77 61 73 20 64 69 72 74 79 2e

Offline Anaraith

• Addicted
  • Anaraith has no influence.
Quote from: Bell;1368645
I've heard quite afew hippy types complain about wind turbines ruining our beautiful country side.

I don't get why we aren't using water turbines yet. They sit in places with current and make power. They are underwater so people cannot complain about their looks.

Was reading this AM:

http://www.caithnesswindfarms.co.uk/accidents.pdf an interesting read.

But surely it would only take 1 incident and the Fatalities for Nuclear Power would be in the 100,000s whereas I don't see a Wind Power Generator suddenly going crazy and shopping 100,000 peoples heads off.

Reply #211 Posted: March 15, 2011, 04:41:08 pm
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :

Pokemon arent real but they should be.

Offline Spigalau

• Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.
Quote from: Anaraith;1368651
But surely it would only take 1 incident and the Fatalities for Nuclear Power would be in the 100,000s whereas I don't see a Wind Power Generator suddenly going crazy and shopping 100,000 peoples heads off.

Read that report :) - it's very enlightening.

Reply #212 Posted: March 15, 2011, 04:54:27 pm
49 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 6d 65 6d 62 65 72 20 77 68 65 6e 20 74 68 65 20 61 69 72 20 77 61 73 20 63 6c 65 61 6e 20 61 6e 64 20 73 65 78 20 77 61 73 20 64 69 72 74 79 2e

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: nick247;1368636

We can put the power plant next to the mines in the national parks. This will make and save us billions (which means we can rebuild chch and host the rugby world cup there) WIN WIN
The reactor was built 40 years ago and has performed it's job admirably. It is still doing exactly what it was designed to do in this sort of incident, fail inwards and contain radiation. What more do you want?

Reply #213 Posted: March 15, 2011, 05:18:28 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Arnifix;1368656
What more do you want?

SHARKS WITH FUCKING LAZERS!

Reply #214 Posted: March 15, 2011, 05:22:50 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Bell;1368645

Well, you see, I'm not a hippy (sic). I'm a complex being with multiple personality disorders. :P

I tend towards 'green' and 'conscientious objection' and the 'environment' et al, and oppose militarism and warfare and 'soldiers' by association, but I do realise that issues are not black and white. I do put my foot more in one camp when posting here as it isn't the general view, and I do also fall into ad hominem and vitriol as I am human.

Ultimately though, I am just me. (cue the Dalai Lama), a human, with winnings and failings and imperfections and emotions.

I just state as I see things AT THE TIME.
Despite being a geologist, my thoughts etc aren't set in stone, but rather, are mellifluous and ignimbritic; Extrusively-rhyoliric even, shapeable and determined by topography. ; the topography of intellect and thought, such as now,whereby it is driven by alcohol.

:P

Reply #215 Posted: March 15, 2011, 05:27:11 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
Quote from: Spigalau;1368649
Was reading this AM:

Birds don't count, Spig :P

Reply #216 Posted: March 15, 2011, 05:27:44 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Quote from: Zarkov;1368639
No chance they'll read anything before giving us an opinion about it.

I am pretty sure my years of watching simpsons has made me an expert in nuclear power. And in my professional opinion, we should all fear a meltdown.

Reply #217 Posted: March 15, 2011, 05:31:07 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: kookynic;1368623
Well you see theres the difference - i havent been exposed to nice americans

Thats what happens when you sit in your house all day, isolated from other human beings, scooping handfuls of Burger Rings, and occasionally rolling off your couch to attempt 3 minutes on your ab circle pro (and failing).

As it happens, I met an American family today. They were tourists, EXTREMELY friendly. Probably the nicest and most intelligent family I have met all year. In fact, I came away from the conversation thinking they were the perfect model family.

You should take the time to give Americans a chance Kooky, you might find you have more in common than you think.

http://tinyurl.com/46do3rv

Reply #218 Posted: March 15, 2011, 05:34:43 pm

Offline kookynic

• Cooking by the Book

Quote from: BerG;1368663
Thats what happens when you sit in your house all day, isolated from other human beings, scooping handfuls of Burger Rings, and occasionally rolling off your couch to attempt 3 minutes on your ab circle pro (and failing).

As it happens, I met an American family today. They were tourists, EXTREMELY friendly. Probably the nicest and most intelligent family I have met all year. In fact, I came away from the conversation thinking they were the perfect model family.

You should take the time to give Americans a chance Kooky, you might find you have more in common than you think.

http://tinyurl.com/46do3rv

you shoot and miss berg, like always

8-14 hours of my day go to uni

Reply #219 Posted: March 15, 2011, 05:38:16 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: kookynic;1368665
you shoot and miss berg, like always

8-14 hours of my day go to uni

Berg has turned into a hateful little troll, don't respond to him kooky. We all know you're better than that.

Reply #220 Posted: March 15, 2011, 05:42:38 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Haha.

Perhaps you should check my recent posts Arnifix and find all these hateful troll posts.

The only people I dislike here are you and Kooky.
Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 05:53:38 pm by BerG

Reply #221 Posted: March 15, 2011, 05:45:12 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
Fuck you're harsher than I am and I have remorse!

But then again, to paraphrase you, I don't like you very much :P

Reply #222 Posted: March 15, 2011, 05:52:25 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

Ok I made it nicer.

Anyway, how about that earthquake?

Reply #223 Posted: March 15, 2011, 05:53:56 pm

Offline nick247

• Addicted
Quote from: BerG;1368663

When i read this it made me think of that simpsons episode when homer gets really fat. Which oddly enough fits with this post here very nicely.

Quote from: toofast;1368661
I am pretty sure my years of watching simpsons has made me an expert in nuclear power. And in my professional opinion, we should all fear a meltdown.

Now i am picturing kooky at "uni" with that water bird thing sitting at his computer tapping "y"

Reply #224 Posted: March 15, 2011, 06:06:40 pm