• Addicted
  • nick247 has no influence.
Quote from: zolteg;1367776
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBZGH3yieLc&feature=player_embedded

OMG NEW ZEALAND WILL BE SWEPT OFF THE MAP RUN RUN RUN

Reply #75 Posted: March 12, 2011, 04:30:06 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
Quote from: Emrico1;1367782
^ there was nothing at all here despite that menacing looking animation (I live with a view of the ocean).

So worried about it in fact, I spent most of the day surfing.

I was thinking, for countries such as NZ and Aus, which this isn't going to affect as much as some, this is a great opportunity to get in some good surf.

Reply #76 Posted: March 12, 2011, 04:46:08 pm

Offline Anaraith

• Addicted
  • Anaraith has no influence.
I have watched a few Youtube videos of when the earthquake was happening and found it rather odd how little the people reacted. It seemed as if some continued doing their business only slightly phased by the fact the ground was moving. I even saw someone look at the camera and smile. By saying this I am not trying to downplay the fact it is a major disaster and a horrible thing but they seem rather used to this happening :P It seems that the tsunami was the most deadly part everything.

Good luck Japan :)

Reply #77 Posted: March 12, 2011, 04:57:28 pm
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :

Pokemon arent real but they should be.

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Tiwaking!;1367773
I would like to thank the Japanese rescue team. It is bad enough that they didnt manage to find any survivors from the school :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFs8YZFaMBo
Apologies for the terrible Japanese. I dont speak it very often.
I always found it funny that he was nick named "Super Maori" when he is, in fact, polynesian.

Maybe you could move your webcam a bit higher.

Look to highlight your better features.

Reply #78 Posted: March 12, 2011, 05:10:34 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
^ Mod trolling... Classy.

"
BreakingNews
Haven't they suffered enough already: Japan nuclear safety commission official says meltdown at nuclear power plant possible
"
omfg

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/nuclear-meltdown-japan-radioactive/2011/03/11/id/389221

and

"
Indonesian volcano in Sulawesi erupts hours after Japan earthquake. Sulawesi part of the Ring of Fire which includes NZ, Japan, Hawaii.
"
http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=126132
Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 06:52:43 pm by Emrico1

Reply #79 Posted: March 12, 2011, 06:46:13 pm

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
Quote from: Emrico1;1367757

Pretty amazing huh.

Well it's amazing that the wave height was higher here than in the South Pacific directly above us. Pretty much contradicts your earlier statement.

Reply #80 Posted: March 12, 2011, 06:54:24 pm
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Quote from: TofuEater;1367808
Well it's amazing that the wave height was higher here than in the South Pacific directly above us. Pretty much contradicts your earlier statement.

What the fuck are you talking about?
You telling me it gained more energy as it moved further away? Really? Have a look at the other image. Pedantic fool.

Reply #81 Posted: March 12, 2011, 07:22:58 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Tiwaking!;1367722
When he his pointing at the other buildings swaying, that is just...just so scary.

edit2: Okay this is abit odd. Not only can I not find user ilovenishiazabu, I can also not break into their channel in the usual way i.e Google cache. AND they appear to have had their videos flagged for inappropriate material, which may explain why they pulled their account.

I think I shall do some internets sleuthing.
Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 07:45:29 pm by Tiwaking!

Reply #82 Posted: March 12, 2011, 07:27:54 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Zenith

• Just settled in
  • Zenith has no influence.
Quote from: Emrico1;1367813
What the fuck are you talking about?
You telling me it gained more energy as it moved further away? Really? Have a look at the other image. Pedantic fool.

Wave height is a function of depth as well I would say, also speed changes with depth.  Hence all the darker red around the coasts.

Reply #83 Posted: March 12, 2011, 07:35:24 pm
 (Until I find a current one...)

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
a quick google gives this site - http://www.ess.washington.edu/tsunami/general/physics/physics.html

As a tsunami leaves the deep water of the open ocean and travels into the shallower water near the coast, it transforms. If you read the "How do tsunamis differ from other water waves?" section, you discovered that a tsunami travels at a speed that is related to the water depth - hence, as the water depth decreases, the tsunami slows. The tsunami's energy flux, which is dependent on both its wave speed and wave height, remains nearly constant. Consequently, as the tsunami's speed diminishes as it travels into shallower water, its height grows. Because of this shoaling effect, a tsunami, imperceptible at sea, may grow to be several meters or more in height near the coast. When it finally reaches the coast, a tsunami may appear as a rapidly rising or falling tide, a series of breaking waves, or even a bore.

http://www.ess.washington.edu/tsunami/general/physics/transform.html

i highlighted the essentials

Reply #84 Posted: March 12, 2011, 07:40:15 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Hmmmgood

• Devoted Member
  • Hmmmgood has no influence.

Reply #85 Posted: March 12, 2011, 07:40:56 pm

Offline Emrico1

Quote from: Zenith;1367818
Wave height is a function of depth as well I would say, also speed changes with depth.  Hence all the darker red around the coasts.

Yeah dude, that's exactly right. The angle of depth ascent will also  effect wave height. If the bottom gradually gets shallower the waves  will be smaller.

I also find it funny there has been no mention of Japan's tsunami walls and where they came in all of this?

The one thing that really took me by surprise was the focussed direction of the tsunami towards Hawaii... I was way off with the Phillipines, they got 40cm, thanks to the direction. So weird.
I think it hit most places in low tide which helped things. A 2 meter surge in a place with 2 meter tides isn't so bad on low tide... A four meter surge on high tide however...
Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 08:01:49 pm by Emrico1

Reply #86 Posted: March 12, 2011, 07:43:45 pm

Offline nick247

• Addicted
Emrico was right about New Zealand, simply too far away for there to be a significant incident. The wave will increase when it hits shallower water but the force will dissipate as it travels over open ocean.

Watch the footage of Japan. It is not the giant 10metre wave that is the worrying part. It is the significant force behind it that is pushing the water inland and chewing through buildings.

Reply #88 Posted: March 12, 2011, 09:21:24 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
A friend has just confirmed who lives in Japan, that part of the Nuclear Power Plant has exploded.

Reply #89 Posted: March 12, 2011, 09:27:00 pm

Offline Emrico1

OMFG there's people on those boats.
Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 09:57:00 pm by Emrico1

Reply #90 Posted: March 12, 2011, 09:39:47 pm

Offline Zenith

• Just settled in

Reply #91 Posted: March 12, 2011, 09:41:14 pm

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
Quote from: Emrico1;1367821
Yeah dude, that's exactly right. The angle of depth ascent will also effect wave height. If the bottom gradually gets shallower the waves will be smaller.

The one thing that really took me by surprise was the focussed direction of the tsunami towards Hawaii...
I was going to ask if you knew what caused tsunamis, but i can tell by this that you don't know. That's ok, it pretty much goes with the rest of what you've spouted in this thread.

Quote from: nick247;1367865
Emrico was right about New Zealand, simply too far away for there to be a significant incident. The wave will increase when it hits shallower water but the force will dissipate as it travels over open ocean.
No he wasn't, and no it doesn't. New Zealand wasn't in the path of the tsunami, as simple as that. Or else, how do you account for the carnage in Santa Cruz?

Reply #92 Posted: March 12, 2011, 09:58:30 pm
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline nick247

• Addicted
That is rough watching that live footage of the tsunami hitting and moving inland. There are a lot of cars that did not get out of the way fast enough. Or people standing watching who didnt expect it to reach them. Really heart stopping to see

Reply #93 Posted: March 12, 2011, 10:00:41 pm

Offline nick247

• Addicted
Quote from: TofuEater;1367875
No he wasn't, and no it doesn't. New Zealand wasn't in the path of the tsunami, as simple as that. Or else, how do you account for the carnage in Santa Cruz?

Noone here is denying there wouldn't be some effect still lingering after traveling that distance. The damage in Santa Cruz could be called carnage but i personally wouldnt use a word like that to describe the damage which is rather minor all things considered. Including one death in an area that is already claimed to be notorious in the best of times.

Also I am going to assume that you are not denying that the force of a tsunami wave dissipates as it travels. Which would be why the carnage in Santa Cruz wasn't anywhere near like that in Japan.

Reply #94 Posted: March 12, 2011, 10:18:11 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: nick247;1367879
That is rough watching that live footage of the tsunami hitting and moving inland. There are a lot of cars that did not get out of the way fast enough. Or people standing watching who didnt expect it to reach them. Really heart stopping to see
It seemed like they just didnt have anywhere else to go. I assume you watched the footage of the boats slamming into a bridge or overpass and the people standing on it watching?

They end up being totally surrounded by water. It is so crazy.

And it is a big surprise with the footage of the airport being hit by the wave that no one was hurt. The luggage movers and those things people walk down to get to the plane got swept away like a taraxacum.

Reply #95 Posted: March 12, 2011, 10:21:47 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Plasma

• Addicted
  • Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.
Quote from: RetardoBot;1367868
A friend has just confirmed who lives in Japan, that part of the Nuclear Power Plant has exploded.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12720219

Not the best video, but you can see it was a large explosion.

Think today is the first time I've ever really wanted Sky, NZ media coverage is shit.

Reply #96 Posted: March 12, 2011, 10:30:24 pm

Offline Zenith

• Just settled in
Yep the 'excitement' is over now.  We have just had a nuclear power station melt down, it made it to the TV7 11 oclock bulletin, but mostly with pre meltdown news.
I did read an article where a government official confirmed a meltdown. I don't know where they go from here...

Reply #97 Posted: March 12, 2011, 11:15:02 pm

Offline kookynic

• Cooking by the Book

• kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...
fark

anyone know which way the radiation will travel?

Reply #98 Posted: March 12, 2011, 11:27:01 pm

Offline Plasma

• Addicted
  • Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.
Quote from: kookynic;1367910
fark

anyone know which way the radiation will travel?

That really depends on what happens next, at the moment its not to bad.

More from Walt Patterson of Chatham House. He says the presence of the radioactive caesium in the surrounding area does not pose a huge threat to public health in the immediate aftermath of the explosion. "What would be serious is if there was an explosion or fire that lifted this stuff high in the air, meaning it could get carried over a wide area."

This shouldn't be as bad as Chernobyl, because well the Russians really fucked that one up.

BBC environment correspondent Roger Harrabin says local officials believe the release of radiation following the nuclear plant explosion is likely to be small. He adds that nuclear incidents aren't always as serious as they may sound or appear, and actually, in terms of loss of life and destruction, accidents at hydroelectric plants are far more dangerous.

Interesting to see if this will be the case.
Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 11:50:01 pm by Plasma

Reply #99 Posted: March 12, 2011, 11:35:19 pm