Topic: Japanese Earthquake! 8.9 - 24km* deep

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;1368659
Well, you see, I'm not a hippy (sic). I'm a complex being with multiple personality disorders. :P

That wasn't actually directed at you as a person, I guess I was trying to make the point (be it badly) that even those who you would think would be falling over themselves to get clean green energy still seem to have the 'not in my backyard' mentality.

Reply #225 Posted: March 15, 2011, 06:20:03 pm

Offline nick247

• Addicted
  • nick247 has no influence.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10712630

They are a bit more worried about the radiation now. Hopefully it doesn't get any worse than this.

Reply #226 Posted: March 15, 2011, 07:30:03 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Sucks it was such an old plant.

Do they not use a different method now, and it can't melt down due to a physics impossibly? Fusion, or Fission?

Reply #227 Posted: March 15, 2011, 10:11:05 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
For gods sake, read people. The maximum recorded level I've seen so far has been 8210 microsieverts. That means less than 0.008 sieverts. 0 to 0.25 sieverts is absolutely normal, subclinical, stock standard radiation levels that one might get from flying a plane or going spelunking in the wrong place. At 1 sievert you might experience some nausea.

The fuel rods were briefly exposed meaning it is possible they might have been damaged. Before any serious amount of radiation could be discharged, the fuel pellets themselves would have to combust, and the temperatures haven't gotten anywhere near hot enough to do that. In fact, I haven't even seen any indications that they've gotten over the 2200 degrees celcius needed to damage the rods themselves.

I wouldn't swim in the water currently cooling the core, but would have no qualms about walking around the perimeter of the plant complex.

Sidenote: pretty sure I'm going to call my new computer Fukushima Daiichi, because it's going to be hot, water-cooled and potentially hazardous to your health.

Swindle: correct, boiling water reactors are no longer produced. Most new plants, if not all, do not rely on pumps to feed coolant, instead the coolant is flows down into the core and out the bottom.

http://mitnse.com/

Scientists telling it like it is. Fuck the haters.
Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 10:37:18 pm by Arnifix

Reply #228 Posted: March 15, 2011, 10:33:40 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!

Reply #229 Posted: March 15, 2011, 11:14:28 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Quote from: swindle;1368736
Sucks it was such an old plant.

Do they not use a different method now, and it can't melt down due to a physics impossibly? Fusion, or Fission?

Cooling is all done through gravity now, so no matter what happens, it should keep cooling.

I wouldn't say this plant will "meltdown" though, given they have pumped the seawater in it, and vented the gas.

Reply #230 Posted: March 15, 2011, 11:18:31 pm

Offline GhostOfGallipoli

• GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...
Quote from: SteddieEddie;1368512
I have but kocky hadn't when he thought it was funny that Americans might get poisoned

maybe you should have a read of all the americans shouting from the rooftops (facebook) that this disaster was payback, or karma, for pearl harbour?

Reply #231 Posted: March 15, 2011, 11:35:23 pm

Offline Greaver

• Just settled in
  • Greaver has no influence.
Obviously I have been following this situation closely and my thoughts go out to everyone affected in Japan, but this did make me lol a little bit, before I pulled my mature face back on

"Dear Japan
Suck Shit
Signed
The Whales"

Reply #232 Posted: March 16, 2011, 12:52:31 am

Offline 5loth

• Addicted
  • 5loth has no influence.
Quote from: GhostOfGallipoli;1368757
maybe you should have a read of all the americans shouting from the rooftops (facebook) that this disaster was payback, or karma, for pearl harbour?

I'm sure the radiation would drift to the USA and only effect those you mentioned above, and harm no innocent human beings.

Reply #233 Posted: March 16, 2011, 12:55:37 am
sila.

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
So that gives us carte blanche to abuse them?

Reply #234 Posted: March 16, 2011, 04:42:09 am
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline monpepe

• Devoted Member
  • monpepe has no influence.
Would you travel to Japan now for a Holiday? If you were leaving in April to Tokyo and South only.

Reply #235 Posted: March 16, 2011, 07:52:56 am

Offline Greaver

• Just settled in
It depends on whether or not you can get your tickets refunded, I would be worried that I was just going to be another hindrance for a country trying to regroup so to speak, their resources will be stretched thin as it is. However if you cannot get a refund on your trip I personally would probably still go, provided you aren't going further north than Tokyo

Reply #236 Posted: March 16, 2011, 08:12:30 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!

There are arseholes all over the world. It's only normal that some of them would live in America.

NZ has it's share of arseholes too, like the people who were looting during the Christchurch earthquakes.

Reply #237 Posted: March 16, 2011, 08:31:18 am

Offline monpepe

• Devoted Member
  • monpepe has no influence.
are you really from space?

Was good that the Courts just chucked looters in Jail with no Bail and they are still there now.

Also story of the cops catching a guy in Bexley and then going to locals.....we are going to leave this guy here for 10 mins while we go and check on something. Can you 'look after' him until we are back.

Reply #238 Posted: March 16, 2011, 08:40:51 am

Offline Wandarah

• Addicted
  • Wandarah has no influence.
Yeah, but that's fucking sweet.

Reply #239 Posted: March 16, 2011, 09:08:44 am
Immanentize the eschaton

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.

So that makes it alright to behave like them, thought you were bigger than that Ghost.

Laughing about wholesale deaths, real or imagined is not fucking cool.

Surprising coming from you seeing how sensitive you are about the whole nazi thing

Reply #240 Posted: March 16, 2011, 09:48:08 am

Codex

Quote from: Emrico1;1368752
http://bravenewclimate.com/2011/03/13/fukushima-simple-explanation/

very good link:
It is worth mentioning at this point that the nuclear fuel in a reactor can never cause a nuclear explosion like a nuclear bomb. At Chernobyl, the explosion was caused by excessive pressure buildup, hydrogen explosion and rupture of all structures, propelling molten core material into the environment.  Note that Chernobyl did not have a containment structure as a barrier to the environment. Why that did not and will not happen in Japan, is discussed further below.

Reply #242 Posted: March 16, 2011, 10:43:42 am

Offline vedds

• Devoted Member
  • vedds has no influence.
Quote from: SteddieEddie;1368805
So that makes it alright to behave like them, thought you were bigger than that Ghost.

Laughing about wholesale deaths, real or imagined is not fucking cool.

Surprising coming from you seeing how sensitive you are about the whole nazi thing

[sarcasm]
Dude, you should know Americans aren't people too.

It seems discrimination is only evil when certain races/cultures/nations are concerned and in this case the Americans are not a sacred cow so it's ok. [/sarcasm]
Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 11:45:20 am by vedds

Reply #243 Posted: March 16, 2011, 11:34:08 am

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
People need to travel more!

Reply #244 Posted: March 16, 2011, 11:42:15 am

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
New fire breaks out at the power plant.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12754883

Amazing how well it is containing the radiation with all the explosions and fires

Reply #245 Posted: March 16, 2011, 12:02:16 pm

Offline Greaver

• Just settled in
Quote from: SteddieEddie;1368843
New fire breaks out at the power plant.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12754883

Amazing how well it is containing the radiation with all the explosions and fires

Post #164

Quote from: Greaver;1368480
Right this link may need to go in the OP

http://morgsatlarge.wordpress.com/2011/03/13/why-i-am-not-worried-about-japans-nuclear-reactors/

Before  posting about meltdowns and explosions and the release of lethal  radioactive isotopes into the air please read it people

Reply #246 Posted: March 16, 2011, 12:23:35 pm

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
Yes I had read that when you posted it, but i still find it amazing that something designed 50 years ago is holding up so well under great duress.

Edit, must not forget the brave technicians that are staying on the job and fixing the problems, true heroes. I'd be running for the hills

Makes you realize how well these plants are designed. The one in trouble is a 2nd generation plant, the 4th gen ones must be incredible

Reply #247 Posted: March 16, 2011, 12:35:23 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
"Death toll has risen to 3,676, authorities said. he number of dead is expected to go up as rescuers reach more hard-hit areas  At least 7,558 people are missing and 1,990 are injured"
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/15/japan-quake-live-blog-fire-erupts-in-fourth-reactor-radiation-warning-issued/

Reply #248 Posted: March 16, 2011, 02:39:37 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
http://www10.antenna.nl/wise/index.html?http://www10.antenna.nl/wise/469-470/

6.2.6 Accident scenario when burning MOX
Accidents involving overheating and meltdown are possible in any nuclear reactor. In such accidents, not only would readily volatile noble gases like iodine and caesium be released to the environment, but a small portion of the actinides, including plutonium and neptunium, would be released. As the activity of the actinides is substantially higher in the case of MOX, the consequences of such severe accidents become more serious.
When MOX fuels are used, the probability of having such serious accidents or trouble would increase due to the high content of plutonium in the fuel. Even if an accident is not a serious one, it could become serious since even a small portion of the inventory of actinides released to the environment could cause significant radiological consequences. According to a comparative analysis of possible consequences of a core meltdown accident in the German Kruemmel nuclear power plant with and without the use of MOX fuel.38
The radiation exposure from inhalation of radioactive materials during the passage of the radioactive cloud is higher by several dozen percentages than if U fuel elements were exclusively used.
Radiation exposure through the route of inhalation of remobilized long-lived actinide isotopes is more than doubled.
The land areas to become out of use by long-term contamination increases as the re-suspension pathway is a limiting factor and the greater part of the dose resulting from the pathway comes from the actinides.

http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/newsarticle.aspx?id=28211

Tokyo Electric Power Company's (Tepco's) Fukushima I unit 3 is set to become the third Japanese nuclear reactor to load mixed oxide (MOX) fuel after receiving approval from the governor of Fukushima Prefecture, Yukei Sato.

Hmmm, Mixed Oxide fuel. Oh yeah, safe as houses. Nothing to worry about, move along....
Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 02:53:44 pm by Ngati_Grim

Reply #249 Posted: March 16, 2011, 02:51:14 pm
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.