Topic: An iOS fans journey into the world of Android

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Anyone find it a bit annoying that htc one doesn't have a physical home button, like the galaxy. I always find those soft touch buttons annoying as shit.

Reply #125 Posted: August 17, 2013, 10:40:57 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Naw.

My Nexus 4 doesn't have any physical buttons (bar the power and volume rocker). They're all soft touch. At first I hated how they took up screen real-estate but got used to it pretty quickly and actually prefer them. Nice smooth finish.

Reply #126 Posted: August 17, 2013, 10:56:44 am

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: toofast;1530055
Anyone find it a bit annoying that htc one doesn't have a physical home button, like the galaxy. I always find those soft touch buttons annoying as shit.

This is slightly annoying. But this tweak allows the HTC soft button to be used to wake the phone, so kind of makes up for it. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=40544876#post40544876

I
've ordered a Belkin wallet flip case and plan on installing that tweak that unlocks the phone as soon as you open the case.

When I imagine the future, I dont see anyone using physical buttons on anything. So I guess I'll try get used to it now.

Reply #127 Posted: August 17, 2013, 11:14:01 am

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
I do agree it makes the phone look sleek, but unless the soft key can be used when the touch screen is off, it is a bit annoying since you need to use the power button for everything. Not to mention it ruins the functionality of using the power button to end calls, and the home key to wake the phone up during the phone call (to use the dialpad, when you are on those automated lines). Maybe I will get use to it, but atm it seems a bit annoying.

Also finding it hard to adjust to the more rectangular shape vs the more rounded galaxy, in terms of how it sits in the hand and using it one handed (though that is partially due to the way i have my thumb positioned over the home button to wake my phone, and then have to shift to another position to hit the power).

However, everyone hates change, so i am sure i will adjust in time.

Reply #128 Posted: August 17, 2013, 12:09:22 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
It does work when the screen is off. I have it installed now, seems to work good.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2255160

Reply #129 Posted: August 17, 2013, 02:58:30 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
My prediction: Next iPhone will be almost identical to the HTC one.

Lubs it.
Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 03:07:29 pm by Emrico1

Reply #130 Posted: August 17, 2013, 03:03:44 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

My prediction: Next iPhone will be almost identical to the iPhone 5.

Reply #131 Posted: August 17, 2013, 03:05:38 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Quote from: BerG;1530068
My prediction: Next iPhone will be almost identical to the iPhone 5.

5s will for sure of course.
But whatever the next full change is (6 or whatever) it's just a good design...

Reply #132 Posted: August 17, 2013, 03:10:31 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
The HTC One is the best Android phone on the market imo.

I can't see it being beat for a long time.

Reply #133 Posted: August 18, 2013, 01:59:57 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline BerG

• Terminator

Yet despite great reviews all round they have been a commercial failure, and it doesn't surprise me.

I walked into the Telecom store and told the guy I want an HTC One.

He gave me a 'are you serious?'  look,  and asked if I was sure and if I had looked at the galaxy 4. I said yes but I wanted an HTC One. He proceeded to tell me the HTC One has a 'really bad'  camera and the galaxy 4 is far more popular. He said people prefer the galaxy 4 because it has a way better camera and way more 'features'  (wtf?).

If I wasn't a savvy consumer I'd have walked out with a galaxy 4 for sure.

Do distributors make more money off them or something?

Reply #134 Posted: August 18, 2013, 03:26:40 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

Yet despite great reviews all round they have been a commercial failure, and it doesn't surprise me.

He gave me a 'are you serious?'  look,  and asked if I was sure and if I had looked at the galaxy 4. I said yes but I wanted an HTC One. He proceeded to tell me the HTC One has a 'really bad'  camera and the galaxy 4 is far more popular. He said people prefer the galaxy 4 because it has a way better camera and way more 'features'  (wtf?).

Reply #135 Posted: August 18, 2013, 03:27:00 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Quote from: BerG;1530103

Not really.

Dude was just a sheep.

Reply #136 Posted: August 18, 2013, 07:44:59 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline BerG

• Terminator

Noticing cell reception on the HTC One is quite a bit worse than iPhone. I'm dropping calls in certain areas where I lose reception, iPhone never dropped calls in those areas. In fact I never dropped calls on iPhone.

Other than that, I picked up the iPhone to get some data off it and it felt a bit like playing with this:

That amazing moment when something instantly becomes ancient tech.

Reply #137 Posted: August 19, 2013, 07:41:29 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: BerG;1530104

Fuck that angers me. Dumbass retail assistants that don't know shit about the product and just push what they prefer.

HTC one camera is in a different league than the Galaxy 4's camera. The S4 is all about mega pixels, the HTC One has actually taken a much different approach using new tech.

I'm predicting that Telecom are pushing the S4 because Samsung will more than likely have some sort of sales bonus plan - sell a certain amount and receive x amount of bonus, or free item.

HTC seem to be back in hot water. The One saved them and now Beats by Dre are buying out the 25% share that HTC have in them. Originally HTC bought 50% of the shares in Beats when it first launched for $300M and then sold half of that back to Beats for $150M when they were worth MUCH more.
Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 04:26:46 am by Retardobot

Reply #138 Posted: August 20, 2013, 04:24:27 am

Offline swindle

Loving the HTC One...

Reply #139 Posted: October 06, 2013, 07:24:57 pm

Offline Emrico1

Quote from: swindle;1532690
Loving the HTC One...

My homie ^

Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 03:30:49 pm by Emrico1

Reply #140 Posted: October 07, 2013, 03:26:40 pm

Offline swindle

You know it brother.

Fucking built so well I just want to hold it.

Reply #141 Posted: October 07, 2013, 03:35:37 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Get a room you two.

And setup a camera with a live feed to the forums so the rest of us can watch.

Reply #142 Posted: October 07, 2013, 03:49:46 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1532732
Get a room you two.

Could not fap to this

Reply #143 Posted: October 07, 2013, 03:58:07 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

You'd need a donkey and an unwashed midget in the mix.

You hippies and your free sex.

Reply #144 Posted: October 07, 2013, 04:13:09 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1532732
Get a room you two.

That'd be a sin. I didn't die for this shit to continue

Reply #145 Posted: October 07, 2013, 05:09:45 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline swindle

Quote from: Speakman;1532739
That'd be a sin. I didn't die for this shit to continue

Well you fucked up son.

You could have done something if you where still alive.

Whoever tricked you, tricked you good.

Reply #146 Posted: October 07, 2013, 06:13:49 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

Stop fucking up my thread, fuckholes.

Reply #147 Posted: October 07, 2013, 07:33:52 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

The HTC One really is fantastic, but the build quality is inferior to iPhone.

I've had mine what, 2 months? And its already got bits breaking off it. I was in a hurry one day and tried to put the charger in the wrong way around (as you always do with USB, wrong way first). I didn't press especially hard, and its broken off a big chunk of plastic around the USB port.

5 years of iPhones, and thousands of times trying to put an iPhone charger in the wrong way, and nothing ever broke.

Reply #148 Posted: October 07, 2013, 07:38:34 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

Android is far superior to iOS these days, but its taken a LONG LONG time for me to get it set up how I like it and get the battery life acceptable.

I must have spent a solid 80 hours trying all sorts of Roms, before settling on RGUI. Battery life was pretty shit, so have spent a whole lot of time fixing that. I love how you can download betterbatterystats and see exactly what is waking the CPU from sleep and draining battery. After sorting all the wakelocks and uninstalling all the nasty apps like facebook and google maps, battery life is exceptional.

Its more stable than (jailbroken) iOS, has never crashed or frozen.

Just loving the range of apps these days, even for things like using the proximity sensor to turn the screen on with a flip cover case. There are dozens and dozens that do it with various differences. Apps are polished although I do find the iOS equivalents to work smoother on the iPhone.

Reply #149 Posted: October 07, 2013, 07:44:05 pm