Topic: Mars Rover to launch this weekend.

Offline Scunner

• Addicted
  • Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...
That's obviously where the Prothean ruins are.

Reply #25 Posted: July 20, 2012, 11:13:22 am

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
Mojave desert? 1/2 a mile from the lunar landing site ?

Reply #26 Posted: July 20, 2012, 06:10:55 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Will be landing in less then a week from now.

Reply #27 Posted: July 31, 2012, 06:37:52 pm

Offline Kopfjaeger

• Addicted
  • Kopfjaeger has no influence.
i wish the Mars orbiter was in position to watch the entry interface

Reply #28 Posted: July 31, 2012, 07:07:41 pm

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
its going to be good

Reply #29 Posted: July 31, 2012, 07:58:25 pm
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
Nuclear powered, I didn;t realise that, now the martians will think we're attacking. I watched Captain Scarlett, these fools have doomed us all!

"This is the voice of the Mysterons, We know you can hear us."

Reply #30 Posted: August 01, 2012, 06:56:20 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
The Rover will be landing Monday 6th August at 5:30pm our time (NZ time) according to my calculations.

Lots of info here
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/

Reply #31 Posted: August 02, 2012, 01:31:31 pm

Offline Plasma

• Addicted
  • Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.
On a semi-related topic street view at the Kennedy Space Center. :D

http://maps.google.com/help/maps/streetview/gallery.html#!/nasa

Reply #32 Posted: August 03, 2012, 09:08:25 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Nasa tv will have coverage right?

Reply #33 Posted: August 03, 2012, 11:23:12 am
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Quote from: Bounty Hunter;1496950
Nasa tv will have coverage right?

Yes

8 Hours to go.

The NASA Mars Odyssey orbiter (launched in 2001, named after the 1968 film '2001: A Space Odyssey'), will be in position to pick up the confirmation singnel that the rover has landed, it will then transmit back to Earth.

It will just be a confirmation signal at first, no images will come untill hours later.

Reply #34 Posted: August 06, 2012, 09:22:39 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
What no live stream? WTF!

Reply #35 Posted: August 06, 2012, 09:30:16 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Quote from: Growler;1497392

Live stream of what?

Reply #36 Posted: August 06, 2012, 09:45:25 am

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
they are probably fighting fox for hte rights to broadcast them...

Reply #37 Posted: August 06, 2012, 10:23:23 am
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Quote from: Growler;1497392

There will be live streams of the NASA control room and stuff.

There cant be any live streams of the landing on Mars because;
1. There's a 14 minute delay.
2. The bandwidth is limited, and required for important landing stuff.
3. There's no guy standing on Mars with a video camera.

Reply #38 Posted: August 06, 2012, 10:45:25 am

It's amazing to see how far things have come over the last 50 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploration_of_Mars#TimeLine

Intrestly, it was Russia who first landed a rover on Mars, this one;

It was supposed to be deployed from the 1971 lander 'Mars 3'.
Mars 3 had the first successful landing on Mars, however 15 seconds after it landed it ceased transmission and the rover could never be deployed.

NASA's Viking 1 landed successfuly 5 years later.

Reply #39 Posted: August 06, 2012, 01:01:38 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1497428
however 15 seconds after it landed it ceased transmission and the rover could never be deployed.

NASA's Viking 1 landed successfuly 5 years later.

It's a known fact it was transformers.

This is the last thing it broadcast.

Reply #40 Posted: August 06, 2012, 01:04:39 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Kopfjaeger

• Addicted
  • Kopfjaeger has no influence.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1496786
The Rover will be landing Monday 6th August at 5:30pm our time (NZ time) according to my calculations.

did you calculate that in metric or imperial ?  ;)

Reply #41 Posted: August 06, 2012, 01:09:28 pm

Quote from: Kopfjaeger;1497430
did you calculate that in metric or imperial ?  ;)

This caption on wikipeida made me lol

Mars Climate Orbiter returned this one image of Mars in 1999 before crashing into it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploration_of_Mars#Probing_difficulties

Picture of Mars far away

next minute, crash.
Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 01:24:06 pm by Spacemonkey

Reply #42 Posted: August 06, 2012, 01:21:11 pm

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1497398
There will be live streams of the NASA control room and stuff.

There cant be any live streams of the landing on Mars because;
1. There's a 14 minute delay.
2. The bandwidth is limited, and required for important landing stuff.
3. There's no guy standing on Mars with a video camera.

But surely someone has a smartphone?

http://www.ustream.tv/nasahdtv

You can totally see it.

Reply #43 Posted: August 06, 2012, 04:01:17 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline private_hell

• Addicted

Reply #44 Posted: August 06, 2012, 04:20:01 pm

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
That's the exact thing I posted, 'cept funneling traffic to Wired.

Reply #45 Posted: August 06, 2012, 04:45:10 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
So far so good.

Reply #46 Posted: August 06, 2012, 05:18:32 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
state of jesus in the middle there taking photos on his iphone

Reply #47 Posted: August 06, 2012, 05:18:52 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
true but it has other videos at the bottom of it - looking at JPL etc

Reply #48 Posted: August 06, 2012, 05:24:32 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
so many fake and gay comments in the chat lol

Reply #49 Posted: August 06, 2012, 05:24:51 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity