Poll

Should marijuana be decriminalised or legalised?

No
14 (20%)
Decriminalised
28 (40%)
Legalised
28 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Topic: Decriminalisation of marijuana

Offline Munchie

• Devoted Member
  • Munchie has no influence.
So why is it so difficult to get your hands on hemp based food products?
[h=2]Hemp seed oil is the only legal hemp product in New Zealand[/h]  Under the Food (Safety) Regulations, it is not legal to sell any  hemp-derived product other than hemp seed oil as a food or added to a  food. Hemp related products that cannot be sold for food or added to  food products in New Zealand include:

• whole hemp seed
  • hemp seed nut
  • hemp seed protein
Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 05:29:50 pm by Munchie

Reply #75 Posted: April 16, 2012, 05:23:55 pm

Offline Oddball

• Devoted Member
  • Oddball has no influence.
Quote from: mattnz;1480793
Take home points are:
- There is an established link between cannabis use and schizophrenia, and that it almost certainly goes cannabis -> schizophrenia.

Repeating myself, but cannabis isn't strong enough to cause schizophrenia or psychosis, and you're phrasing it as if it is. It only adds to the process of developing it if you were already going to end up with it.

You're right in saying it has a more significant effect on younger people.
Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 03:56:42 am by Oddball

Reply #76 Posted: April 17, 2012, 03:52:26 am
A testament to my ICONZ Legacy: http://i.imgur.com/z1qGsZ3.png
Retired warden of the getsome concentration camp for stupid people.

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Oddball;1480876
Repeating myself, but cannabis isn't strong enough to cause schizophrenia or psychosis, and you're phrasing it as if it is.
Do you have a reputable study backing this? If so I'd genuinely quite like to read it. The later of your statement; I do believe that so have excluded it from the quotation.

Reply #77 Posted: April 17, 2012, 04:22:27 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Oddball

• Devoted Member
To begin with, there are zero 'reputable', as you call them, studies that prove cannabis can act as a cause (or anything more than an acceleration) of psychosis. So even claiming that to begin with is either a lot of guess work, assumption, supposed logical probability, or a lie that is (frequently) used by the media to scare people and certain people choose to believe- Hah reminds me of christianity.

There is however, the fact that during the cannabis epidemic period (1960-1970) in the West the rate of schizophrenia flat lined or even declined.

The first time I smoked marijuana was white rhino with a lung. Since then I've smoked some bad stuff, and some really really good stuff. Nothing induced by any quantity of marijuana will even resemble paranoia experienced by sufferers of psychosis.

And even that white rhino in a lung isn't one tenth powerful enough to damage the brain into a state of permanent psychosis. Smoking it regularly, that way, every day, wont give you psychosis. Not that I'd ever advise it. You'd fuck yourself really bad, but you wouldn't develop psychosis.

Reply #78 Posted: April 17, 2012, 07:02:22 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Oddball;1480882
To begin with, there are zero 'reputable', as you call them, studies that prove cannabis can act as a cause (or anything more than an acceleration) of psychosis. So even claiming that to begin with is either a lot of guess work, assumption, supposed logical probability, or a lie that is (frequently) used by the media to scare people and certain people choose to believe- Hah reminds me of christianity.

There is however, the fact that during the cannabis epidemic period (1960-1970) in the West the rate of schizophrenia flat lined or even declined.

The first time I smoked marijuana was white rhino with a lung. Since then I've smoked some bad stuff, and some really really good stuff. Nothing induced by any quantity of marijuana will even resemble paranoia experienced by sufferers of psychosis.

And even that white rhino in a lung isn't one tenth powerful enough to damage the brain into a state of permanent psychosis. Smoking it regularly, that way, every day, wont give you psychosis. Not that I'd ever advise it. You'd fuck yourself really bad, but you wouldn't develop psychosis.

Links to Studies/Experiments/facts Plz

Reply #79 Posted: April 17, 2012, 07:47:22 am

Offline Nostargate

• Addicted
  • Nostargate barely matters.Nostargate barely matters.
Quote from: The Demon Lord;1480884
Links to Studies/Experiments/facts Plz

http://www.fuckimstoned.com/

Reply #80 Posted: April 17, 2012, 07:56:23 am

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.

Wow, stop the fuckin press, virt has some subjective evidence from personal experience.

Spoiler alert: You do not know more about this subject than me. Continuing to believe that you do is incredibly arrogant.

We're not even talking about acute cannabis induced psychosis here, so I don't know why you're jumping on that. Cannabis use is a psychosis risk factor that accumulates in a dose-dependent fashion over many years. There is some anecdotal evidence of acute psychosis induced by cannabis, but the state is generally transitory, and regardless it is a very difficult phenomenon to observe ethically.

Reply #81 Posted: April 17, 2012, 09:43:22 am
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
I've smoked a cigarette and am yet to get cancer, therefore nobody gets cancer from smoking. /oddball logic.

Reply #82 Posted: April 17, 2012, 11:01:41 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Black Heart;1480906
I've smoked a cigarette and am yet to get cancer, therefore nobody gets cancer from smoking. /oddball logic.

I saw Boobies once and didn't get an Erection, therefore I must be ga...

Wait, What?

Reply #83 Posted: April 17, 2012, 11:09:56 am

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
You don't know my definition of reputable in this context, so using that as an argument is invalid. To make it easier for you; Link ANYTHING to support your previous statements. I don't care if its a comic, I would quite like to have a look at it.

Footnote plz?
Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 12:53:53 pm by Xenolightning

Reply #84 Posted: April 17, 2012, 12:39:43 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Oddball

• Devoted Member
edit: missed replies

Reply #85 Posted: April 17, 2012, 12:50:56 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
Quote from: mattnz;1480793
People who have ever used cannabis are about 1.5 times more likely to develop psychosis (though it's obviously quite difficult to establish causality). This effect is dose-dependent; people who have used more than 50 times are about 2.9 times more likely to develop schizophrenia.
I think it is widely accepted that cannabis use in adolescents can attribute to psychosis. The brain is developing, it is hardly familiar with reality at that stage so it is fair to assume that distorting reality with psychoactive substances is going to have a detrimental effect. I think you'll probably find that this is true any psychoactive substance that is used in adolescence.

I find this to be a weak argument against decriminalisation. And to counter with another weak argument, minors are prohibited to use alcohol and tobacco. One could assume that if cannabis was decriminalised or legalised then the regulations that are put in place to restrict access to cannabis would be equally as effective as those for tobacco or alcohol.

I think that if you are going to ban a substance because a small percentage of the users, who are already genetically predisposed to psychosis, suffer a disproportionate onset of psychosis when compared to non-users then you are pandering to the minority. I'm sure there are people that are genetically predisposed to liver failure as well.

Mind you, people with liver failure don't go postal. Hmmm...

Quote from: mattnz;1480898
Spoiler alert: You do not know more about this subject than me. Continuing to believe that you do is incredibly arrogant.
That works both ways you know.

Quote from: The Demon Lord;1480908
I saw Boobies once and didn't get an Erection, therefore I must be ga...

Wait, What?
No it means you're impotent :-P

Reply #86 Posted: April 17, 2012, 12:52:24 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Oddball

• Devoted Member
Quote from: mattnz;1480898
Wow, stop the fuckin press, virt has some subjective evidence from personal experience.

We're not even talking about acute cannabis induced psychosis here, so I don't know why you're jumping on that. Cannabis use is a psychosis risk factor that accumulates in a dose-dependent fashion over many years. There is some anecdotal evidence of acute psychosis induced by cannabis, but the state is generally transitory, and regardless it is a very difficult phenomenon to observe ethically.

Ok, first of all, you have no idea what I know, but I know what you know because you've told us your so called 'education' into it, which as far as I'm concerned, doesn't even give you the right to comment on what psychosis IS, let alone any cause of it. The fact is you don't have the education or experience to know anything actually useful to anyone about it. And if you knew how strong psychosis is, you wouldn't even entertain the idea that something as weak as weed can cause it. For all you know I could have full blown psychosis or a fucking phd. Or both!

You can't ask me to provide evidence that cannabis doesn't cause psychosis when no proven evidence exists that it does. You're the one trying to say it does, so prove it - if you can. There are fake studies out there, I'm sure you'll try and link them. If I tell you there's a clown hiding in the moon, I'd have to provide evidence, not the other way around - and people seem to want it 'the other way around'.
Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 01:05:15 pm by Oddball

Reply #87 Posted: April 17, 2012, 01:00:17 pm

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
Except for the fact you've made reference to the fact you've devoted your attentions to design / photography in other threads, and the trends across a few years of posting in here would suggest you don't have a PHD in psychology.

As far as psychosis goes, there's good evidence you might suffer from it, but that doesn't necessarily mean you have a very good understanding of its causes. If anything, it suggests to me that you're probably the worst person to listen to about this subject.

Mattnz has a reputation for abrasive, informative and empirical posts - in addition to the provision of citations and some referencing, his opinion weighs in here a bit better than yours.

Come back with some evidence and someone might be foolish enough to take you srsly bra.

Reply #88 Posted: April 17, 2012, 01:36:23 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
Quote from: Oddball;1480920
Ok, first of all, you have no idea what I know, but I know what you know because you've told us your so called 'education' into it, which as far as I'm concerned, doesn't even give you the right to comment on what psychosis IS, let alone any cause of it. The fact is you don't have the education or experience to know anything actually useful to anyone about it. And if you knew how strong psychosis is, you wouldn't even entertain the idea that something as weak as weed can cause it. For all you know I could have full blown psychosis or a fucking phd. Or both!

You can't ask me to provide evidence that cannabis doesn't cause psychosis when no proven evidence exists that it does. You're the one trying to say it does, so prove it - if you can. There are fake studies out there, I'm sure you'll try and link them. If I tell you there's a clown hiding in the moon, I'd have to provide evidence, not the other way around - and people seem to want it 'the other way around'.

"That which is submitted without evidence may be dismissed without Evidence"

Seems to be what you are saying, however there were 2 links that were presented indicating that cannabis can be a factor in Psychosis if other factors are present (or at least if I read it correctly thats what I got)

ie it could be dumbed down that cannabis is the straw that broke the camels back as opposed to the sole cause.

so far, I haven't seen you post a link to any study, any reference, any facts, any statistics - Anything in fact that would help back up your claims - all I do see is you saying 'You don't know ...." and "I know... " which unfortunately doesn't hold a lot of Weight.

So:

Link up or Shut Up
Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 01:42:03 pm by The Demon Lord

Reply #89 Posted: April 17, 2012, 01:37:11 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
For all you know I could have full blown psychosis or a fucking phd. Or both!

You would be NZ's youngest recipient of a PHd if that were the case.

Alas you are not. I know this because a good friend of mine holds that title.
Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 02:02:28 pm by Retardobot

Reply #90 Posted: April 17, 2012, 01:59:44 pm

Offline O-L-W-A-G

• Addicted
  • O-L-W-A-G has no influence.
How old is you're friend?

Reply #91 Posted: April 17, 2012, 02:12:48 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: O-L-W-A-G;1480937
How old is you're friend?

Don't listen to me. I got that wrong. I mixed up PHd and doctorate.

Have deleted post.
Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 02:29:14 pm by Retardobot

Reply #92 Posted: April 17, 2012, 02:15:33 pm

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.

Oh fuck. Really? Is that how science works? Thanks for the info.

Not to mention that I did present you with sound scientific evidence from reputable publications, and you seem convinced that you have successfully disproved my view by talking out your arse about what you think has happened to you.

And so sorry, I forgot you know everything.

Just for extra irony points:
Hah reminds me of christianity.

Reply #93 Posted: April 17, 2012, 02:57:49 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Not worth it mattnz, he can never back anything up, always treats it as a 'win-lose' competiton, will start calling everyone idiots and think you are fighting him.

Actually, carry on please I need a laugh ;)

Reply #94 Posted: April 17, 2012, 03:00:41 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.

Reply #95 Posted: April 17, 2012, 03:03:45 pm

Offline deanox

• Just settled in
  • deanox has no influence.
Quote from: RetardoBot;1480938
Don't listen to me. I got that wrong. I mixed up PHd and doctorate.

Have deleted post.

PhD is a Doctorate

Reply #96 Posted: April 17, 2012, 03:43:45 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
Play nice children.

Oddball, all you offer is opinion. You should realise this. Your experience is not infallible. And neither is your opinion. So you don't have to be so offended if someone contradicts it. Blanket statements about there not being any credible evidence regarding this subject is just silly.

Matt, studies have been wrong. But being science you realise this.

Growler, are you cyber stalking again?

Reply #97 Posted: April 17, 2012, 03:46:06 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Quote from: deanox;1480951
PhD is a Doctorate

It is?

You learn something everyday.

Reply #98 Posted: April 17, 2012, 03:51:26 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
I stole all you bacons.

Reply #99 Posted: April 17, 2012, 04:13:01 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!