Topic: Battlefield 4 Officially Confirmed

Offline Ranger Bob

• Just settled in
  • Ranger Bob has no influence.
Quote from: 5loth;1496204
I don't like Justin Bieber's music either, but its incredibly popular. If Eric Clapton's next album was indistinguishable from a Justin Bieber album, I'd be disappointed too.

Well here is 2 different aspect's, you are Comparing Eric Clapton to Justin Beiber, and i'll be inclined to agree. But if Clapton was BF and Beiber was [insert game] the argument stands that battlefield gameplay is still uniquely battlefield (although other games are starting to come out with similar formats), how ever if one was to say Eric Clapton album indistinguishable from other Eric Clapton albums, well now we're coming into game franchise material across the board.

Reply #125 Posted: July 29, 2012, 02:30:09 pm

Offline 5loth

• Addicted
  • 5loth has no influence.
Quote from: GhostOfGallipoli;1496223
mod....not a game

A mod is a game? Its a modification of an existing game, to make a new game. Day Z for example, is a game in itself, created by modifying Arma 2.

Every source game is simply a "mod" of the source engine is it not? Do these not count as games either? Or 2142, essentially a mod of BF2, the only difference being it cost money compared to something like PoE.
Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 02:51:53 pm by 5loth

Reply #126 Posted: July 29, 2012, 02:45:44 pm
sila.

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Of course a mod is a game what a ridiculous thing to say.

Reply #127 Posted: July 29, 2012, 05:04:38 pm

Offline GhostOfGallipoli

• GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...
Quote from: 5loth;1496229
A mod is a game? Its a modification of an existing game, to make a new game. Day Z for example, is a game in itself, created by modifying Arma 2.

Every source game is simply a "mod" of the source engine is it not? Do these not count as games either? Or 2142, essentially a mod of BF2, the only difference being it cost money compared to something like PoE.

sigh, fine

game = something made for sale
mod = modification of commercial game, usually by groups of talented amateurs, ether as a labour of love, or to get their foot in the industry.

arma II you have to buy, dayz is free (at least for now)

links back to the hipster comment, game/band is only cool while I like and no one else does, or until it becomes profitable. I was into it when it was underground, never as good as their original stuff, sellouts etc etc etc

Reply #128 Posted: July 29, 2012, 05:09:10 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Ranger Bob;1496227
Well here is 2 different aspect's, you are Comparing Eric Clapton to Justin Beiber, and i'll be inclined to agree. But if Clapton was BF and Beiber was [insert game] the argument stands that battlefield gameplay is still uniquely battlefield (although other games are starting to come out with similar formats), how ever if one was to say Eric Clapton album indistinguishable from other Eric Clapton albums, well now we're coming into game franchise material across the board.

BF isn't like CoD in that aspect yet, every BF game is distinguishable from the previous installments.

Reply #129 Posted: July 29, 2012, 05:15:36 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Quote from: GhostOfGallipoli;1496242
sigh, fine

game = something made for sale
mod = modification of commercial game, usually by groups of talented amateurs, ether as a labour of love, or to get their foot in the industry.

arma II you have to buy, dayz is free (at least for now)

links back to the hipster comment, game/band is only cool while I like and no one else does, or until it becomes profitable. I was into it when it was underground, never as good as their original stuff, sellouts etc etc etc

Bullshit it does.
BF42 and BFV and their mods were really popular in their time. Just because you weren't around doesn't mean it was underground.

Reply #130 Posted: July 29, 2012, 05:17:25 pm

Offline 5loth

• Addicted
  • 5loth has no influence.
Quote from: GhostOfGallipoli;1496242

Or perhaps game made as labour of love happens to result in offering a more enjoyable gameplay experience for someone than a game that was made to make money? Does that just sound too ridiculous in your mind?

Reply #131 Posted: July 29, 2012, 05:18:54 pm
sila.

Offline Bell

• Addicted
IMO because dev teams were smaller back 7 or so years ago more risks could be taken and a bigger selection of game studios could complete in the same Genre.
Budgets are now so high that only a few select studios can complete in the mainstream FPS market so the diversity is taking a hit.
Battlefield can't afford to cater their games towards me, they need console players to get a big enough return on investment.

The direction of the more recent installments of BF are obviously different to those of old so don't give me this "can't change with the times"/"you only liked it when it wasn't popular" crap.
I feel I understand the reasons for it and don't really blame them but that doesn't mean I support where they are going.

I'm mostly just sad that the majority don't seem to what the type of Multiplier experiences I do, if a team with the budget of CoD put all that effort into making a in-depth, large scale vehicular combat multiplier experience what they could achieve with the current broadband speeds and computer power on PC would dwarf everything we have seen before. Instead all the investment in gaming is going toward providing a shit ton of art assets and in game cgi sequences to make it feel movie like and the technology is getting restricted because the control scheme has to work on a console controller and the game world has to run on 512MB of RAM and a relatively weak processor.

I personally don't give a shit about scripted sequences, story or some sort of character development. I prefer being given a rich game world with a vast array of gameplay options and then spawning as some nameless solider on the red team and being told to defeat the blue team.
And that's exactly what BF42 was when it first came out, there was noway that game was going to be able to be ported to the console at that time, the controls wouldn't have worked the terrain engine wouldn't have run and there was no chance of having at minimum 32 players.
Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 05:47:36 pm by Bell

Reply #132 Posted: July 29, 2012, 05:25:23 pm

Offline GhostOfGallipoli

• GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...
Quote from: Bell;1496246
Bullshit it does.
BF42 and BFV and their mods were really popular in their time. Just because you weren't around doesn't mean it was underground.

I was around& played them (forgotten hope especially), just not involved in the community/competition/clan scene.

Quote from: 5loth;1496247
Or perhaps game made as labour of love happens to result in offering a more enjoyable gameplay experience for someone than a game that was made to make money? Does that just sound too ridiculous in your mind?

I think it would be pretty naive to think that just because you're getting paid, you don't love what you do & want to see people enjoy it.

my point still stands, there are always people around, in any scene, that hate what they have, that refer backwards with such rose tinted glasses that it becomes ridiculous IMO. just so happens I find it a boring attitude to be around.

I had a great time....for a long time playing BF2, but I'm not blind to all the bullshit that I hated at the same time.

if you don't enjoy it, go off and do something else, it's exactly why I haven't been playing BF3 since mass effect came out...but I've come back to it, and I'm having fun.

Reply #133 Posted: July 29, 2012, 05:33:39 pm

Offline Kopfjaeger

• Addicted
  • Kopfjaeger has no influence.
OT:  do we have an 'era' for BF4 yet ?  BTW AI-X2.0 > BF2 > BF3 > PoE2 > and whatever that nitro buggy on Kark mod was

Reply #134 Posted: July 30, 2012, 09:48:38 am

Offline EnjoyTheSauce

• Devoted Member
  • EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.
It'll surely be another modern military setting. Shooters need to go back to the older ways of cycling through era's i.e. WW2-Vietnam-Modern-Future. With the constant repetition of modern combat era, the genre is stagnated and successive games hardly add anything new, not that we didn't already know this. I imagine its just so much more cost effective to release what is effectively the previous title with some new maps and updated graphics.

Reply #135 Posted: July 30, 2012, 10:33:16 am
Related to *juice*. The Orz like *sauce*, which they seem to acquire through killing: "After the *dancing*, Orz think you will make good *special sauce*. Maybe even for other Orz *party*." It would seem this is likely to be something sinister. The Orz apparently wish those who take part in *parties* to enjoy the *sauce*, as in the above quote, or in their parting words from random encounters: "Do not forget to *enjoy the sauce*."

Offline Ranger Bob

• Just settled in
Quote from: EnjoyTheSauce;1496321
It'll surely be another modern military setting. Shooters need to go back to the older ways of cycling through era's i.e. WW2-Vietnam-Modern-Future. With the constant repetition of modern combat era, the genre is stagnated and successive games hardly add anything new, not that we didn't already know this. I imagine its just so much more cost effective to release what is effectively the previous title with some new maps and updated graphics.

Yeap and as long as they still sell, will continue to do so

Reply #136 Posted: July 30, 2012, 11:04:29 am

Offline kongkiwi

• Devoted Member
  • kongkiwi has no influence.
I liked BC2 Vietnam, because I wasn't stuck in streets and buildings.  Sitting among rocks and hills that aren't destructible was different to everything being blown up around me.  Era's aren't that important, look at 2142, greatest game ever made, and they didn't focus on it being ultra modern, (except the titan, given) but the game play was great, voip worked and squads had 6 players.  All they need to do is get squad play to work ingame, with voip.  Battlelog and 3rd party voip means you play with the same people all day every day.  

But I'm weird...

Reply #137 Posted: July 30, 2012, 12:34:17 pm

Offline Wandarah

• Addicted
  • Wandarah has no influence.
Quote from: Ranger Bob;1496200
Bf2 was released at the dawn of broadband in this country and some may argue it was the first fps to provide relatively stable ping and lag free game play

Really? Who the fuck are those idiots then?

Reply #138 Posted: July 30, 2012, 02:15:51 pm
Immanentize the eschaton

Offline Aloysius

• Just settled in
  • Aloysius has no influence.
So what's next?
We're already jaded and dissatisfied with the next BF3. It's about now ish that some slightly smaller developer announces a FPS that we hope will meet all our needs and more.
eg: ET:QW, wolfenstein... w/e it was called, shattered horizon, MoH (latest iteration), BC2, RO2HOS, brink, cs:go, etc.
I'm sure that this time there'll be a good game whose hype lasts for more than 2 hours past release.

Reply #139 Posted: July 30, 2012, 05:48:32 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
I think the dawn of broadband happened when Ranger bob first got it 3 or 4 years after everyone else.

Reply #140 Posted: July 30, 2012, 05:49:41 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Quote from: Aloysius;1496392
So what's next?

It will be ARMA3 for me but it's pretty niche but maybe Day Z's popularity will bring a bigger playerbase.
I'll only play it when I have a free weekend or something its not the type of game you just have a quick 30min play with,
Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 05:57:00 pm by Bell

Reply #141 Posted: July 30, 2012, 05:52:31 pm

Offline Ranger Bob

• Just settled in
Quote from: Wandarah;1496355
Really? Who the fuck are those idiots then?

I'm guessing you have memories of joining a server only to have major lag issues, which was often fixed by joining another server. Or playing for an hour or 2 before hitting lag spikes which was often fixed by resetting server's or router? completely forgetting that you could often go for days/weeks in a total lag free environment. Yet before bf2 everything was played on 56k modems and lag and high ping was pretty much a part of every day game play.

Reply #142 Posted: July 30, 2012, 06:16:46 pm

Offline EnjoyTheSauce

• Devoted Member
  • EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.
Quote from: Aloysius;1496392
So what's next?
We're already jaded and dissatisfied with the next BF3. It's about now ish that some slightly smaller developer announces a FPS that we hope will meet all our needs and more.
eg: ET:QW, wolfenstein... w/e it was called, shattered horizon, MoH (latest iteration), BC2, RO2HOS, brink, cs:go, etc.
I'm sure that this time there'll be a good game whose hype lasts for more than 2 hours past release.

Ravaged is looking pretty neat, but it remains to be seen if the community will support it. Then there's Planetside 2, which is looking pretty amazing.

Reply #143 Posted: July 30, 2012, 10:43:36 pm
Related to *juice*. The Orz like *sauce*, which they seem to acquire through killing: "After the *dancing*, Orz think you will make good *special sauce*. Maybe even for other Orz *party*." It would seem this is likely to be something sinister. The Orz apparently wish those who take part in *parties* to enjoy the *sauce*, as in the above quote, or in their parting words from random encounters: "Do not forget to *enjoy the sauce*."

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Whens PlanetSide 2 out? I'm totally keen for that.

Reply #144 Posted: July 30, 2012, 11:07:41 pm

Offline EnjoyTheSauce

• Devoted Member
Im not sure, they're doing closed beta testing at the moment.

Reply #145 Posted: July 30, 2012, 11:15:07 pm

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
Haven't read through this thread, so not sure what has been talked about.

A friend of mine has had a look at a beta for BF4 and told me.

Commander is back in as per bf2
Destructible building is in as per bad company 2
Naval battles is in as per 1942.

From what he has seen, it is step back in the right direction of a pc led game but time will tell

Reply #146 Posted: March 27, 2013, 01:02:13 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: SteddieEddie;1521912

From what he has seen, it is step back in the right direction of a pc led game but time will tell

Empty promises - like it will be designed purely for PCs without any porting from a console and there will be a big focus on community and E Sports

Reply #147 Posted: March 27, 2013, 01:51:08 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: SteddieEddie;1521912

That would be good if true.

Commander was fun to play.

Lying down in the mud, calling down arty strikes on the enemy.

Reply #148 Posted: March 27, 2013, 03:11:19 pm

Offline nevjmac

• Just settled in
  • nevjmac has no influence.
Hope they take those right steps, otherwise they are just shooting themselves in the feet. We don't need to please the CoD fanbase

Reply #149 Posted: March 27, 2013, 03:52:13 pm