Topic: The last flight of the Endeavour.

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_2359.html
http://www.stuff.co.nz/science/7711881/Space-shuttle-piggyback-challenges/

Currently Endeavour is being piggybacked on the back of a Boeing 747 across America. It's final destination is the California science center in Los Angeles where it will be put on display.
Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 05:22:25 pm by Spacemonkey

Posted: September 21, 2012, 01:56:19 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
That piggy-back arrangement sums up the whole shuttle program in my opinion.

Reply #1 Posted: September 21, 2012, 03:47:02 pm

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
Explanation please?

Reply #2 Posted: September 21, 2012, 05:07:22 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
Saw Enterprise on the Intrepid last week, saw Discovery at the Smithsonian today. Both are cool, but Discovery is more awesomer.

You can see where heat has burnt the fuck out of the heat tiles, and some have been replaced as they were too damaged. Discovery's thrusters can be seen, while at the moment Enterprise still has that awkward cone thing on the back of it.

Reply #3 Posted: September 22, 2012, 09:17:27 am

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.

Rule 34.

Reply #4 Posted: September 22, 2012, 01:50:26 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spork;1503293

Rule 34.

Spork wants to be the truck.

Reply #5 Posted: September 22, 2012, 01:55:41 pm

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
Shes got even further to go now..... in metric!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/7717199/Baby-shuttle-given-homecoming-of-sorts

"Endeavour will stay at the airport for several weeks as crew prepare it for its final mission: a 12-mile (19-million kilometre) trek through city streets to the California Science Center..."

Reply #6 Posted: September 22, 2012, 06:01:28 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
http://www.iforce.co.nz/View.aspx?i=1viys4ty.wzv.jpg
The last flight of the Endeavour.

Reply #7 Posted: September 27, 2012, 03:17:17 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
India's first shuttle?

Reply #8 Posted: September 27, 2012, 06:55:36 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
Nah, that would have people hanging off the outside.

Reply #9 Posted: September 27, 2012, 07:00:44 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
This just proves that weight restrictions on commercial planes is bullshit    (stolen comment from reddit)

Reply #10 Posted: September 27, 2012, 07:39:41 pm

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Does it? Pretty sure it would have cost them a reasonable amount to transport...

Reply #11 Posted: September 27, 2012, 08:44:14 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
Not to mention that the 747 had to be modified in order to be able to carry it.

Reply #12 Posted: September 27, 2012, 09:09:08 pm

Quote from: Emrico1;1503887
This just proves that weight restrictions on commercial planes is bullshit    (stolen comment from reddit)

They strip out eveything they can from inside the plane to reduce the weight, they only leave the first class seats in for passangers.

It also has a much smaller range.
Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 12:58:08 am by Spacemonkey

Reply #13 Posted: September 28, 2012, 12:51:54 am

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
be funny if it crashed.

Reply #14 Posted: September 29, 2012, 08:51:41 pm

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
Quote from: Emrico1;1503887

Weight restrictions on planes is only about money,  it takes more fuel to fly a heavier plane. That is why they charge extra if you go over

Reply #15 Posted: September 30, 2012, 12:18:18 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
I recently flew from Washington DC to AKL, via San Francisco.

Rocked up to the airport in DC, my checked bag was 52.5 pounds, limit is 50 points. Check in person said just to take some stuff out and put it in my carry on and I wont get charged. It was USD$60 extra to check the bag as is. I took some stuff out of the bag, put it in my carry on, bringing the checked bag to 48.5 pounds. This was ok. I was still getting on the plane with the same weight of shit, but didn't have to pay anything extra. While I am happy I didn't have to pay, I think its weird I can travel with the same weight of stuff, just with different distribution, and have it be ok.

Flow on impact from this is there are fucks who get onto the plane carrying a roller bag plus a backpack. Limit is a backpack sized bag weighing 7kg, and a small personal item (such as a camera, purse, something else small). These people rock up with twice their limit and get into the plane no problems. Hog all the overhead space and don't pay any extra for it. If airlines wanted to increase revenue, or follow the rules they have set, they should start with these people.

Reply #16 Posted: September 30, 2012, 05:33:33 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Guy sitting opposite from me a while back had a carry on bag that weighed around 30kg, it broke the overhead latch.

It's things like that which seriously injure people in a bit of turbulence.

Stewardess tried to put it under the seat in front of me so I shouted at her.

Reply #17 Posted: September 30, 2012, 05:58:33 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
Quote from: Zarkov;1504110
Stewardess tried to put it under the seat in front of me so I hissed at her.

Fixed.

But yeh, totally understand, its retarded. I ended up putting my camera in the overhead, and backpack under the seat in front of me. Makes it easier to access things you want during the flight, but even less room for your feet.

Reply #18 Posted: September 30, 2012, 06:04:46 pm

Offline O-L-W-A-G

• Addicted
  • O-L-W-A-G has no influence.
There is no room for your feet in the first place

Reply #19 Posted: September 30, 2012, 09:22:10 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

Quote from: O-L-W-A-G;1504130
There is no room for your feet in the first place

Exactly.

That's why I got mad.

Even madder when they acted like I was causing the problem.

It's going to lead to a major loss of life, due to cabin clutter in an emergency.

Reply #20 Posted: September 30, 2012, 10:26:14 pm

Same happend to me a few times, there's never enough room in the overhead compartments, and I see people coming in with a roller bags and stuff.

Reply #21 Posted: October 01, 2012, 07:44:29 am

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Spacecraft have captured Earths 'song'.

http://www.nasa.gov/mp3/687631main_687014main_emfisis_chorus_1.mp3

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10837960

W
hat they dont realise, is that this is actually Earth's SOS call. An Intergalactic army is currently enroute to destroy us.

Reply #22 Posted: October 03, 2012, 04:58:01 am

Quote from: BerG;1504412
What they dont realise, is that this is actually Earth's SOS call. An Intergalactic army is currently enroute to destroy us.

That's fine, Will Smith Will save us.

Reply #23 Posted: October 03, 2012, 07:54:23 am

After traveling 19 kilometers in 3 days through the streets of LA. Endeavour arrives at its final resting place, the California Science Center.

http://www.space.com/18059-space-shuttle-endeavour-museum-arrival.html

Reply #24 Posted: October 15, 2012, 02:01:19 pm